General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-14 7:36 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete?

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by VGT Unless someone's paying you to do it, you're not a Triathlete. You're a "whatever it is that you do" who enjoys competing in triathlons. Not that it's a big deal.

Agree with the not a big deal bit, buuuuuuut.....

Does that mean I'm not a pilot cuz no one is paying me when I fly a plane?  Not a dad, ditto?  Not a husband?  Not a hunter?  Fisherman?  Physician (no longer practice, but I certainly feel a bit like a doc) or scientist (got the PhD but am not in the lab anymore)?

Just my way of saying that to "be" something doesn't require getting cheddar, in my worldview.  It seems more about how you see yourself (or even sometimes how others see you - I know lots of folks I'd call triathletes that make no money at it, but who are more into triathlon than their jobs... or sometimes, sadly, even their families).

Happy to have different views, of course!   

LB did say you'd whacked the hornets' nest with this one. 

Matt

ETA:  that last comment was toward the OP, obviously...
M

I've won 40 bucks in gift cards from tri racing so I must qualify.

2013-10-14 7:39 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by VGT Unless someone's paying you to do it, you're not a Triathlete. You're a "whatever it is that you do" who enjoys competing in triathlons. Not that it's a big deal.

Agree with the not a big deal bit, buuuuuuut.....

Does that mean I'm not a pilot cuz no one is paying me when I fly a plane?  Not a dad, ditto?  Not a husband?  Not a hunter?  Fisherman?  Physician (no longer practice, but I certainly feel a bit like a doc) or scientist (got the PhD but am not in the lab anymore)?

Just my way of saying that to "be" something doesn't require getting cheddar, in my worldview.  It seems more about how you see yourself (or even sometimes how others see you - I know lots of folks I'd call triathletes that make no money at it, but who are more into triathlon than their jobs... or sometimes, sadly, even their families).

Happy to have different views, of course!   

LB did say you'd whacked the hornets' nest with this one. 

Matt

ETA:  that last comment was toward the OP, obviously...
M

I've won 40 bucks in gift cards from tri racing so I must qualify.

I think you have disqualified yourself from competing n the AG category.......it's all elite for you now missy.

2013-10-14 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

• . . while listening about what races they've done, what they are doing next, how fast they are, what kind of bike they have, what the best shoes are, and on and on and on. 

• "Oh, I'm just using this race as a solid training day. My 'A' race isn't until next month. It's an Ironman. Yeah, it's in Canada and totally hilly. My coach said use my triathlon bike, but I'm totally using my road bike, because it's hilly. Next year, I'm training with power. Is that carbon?"

Edited by Goosedog 2013-10-14 8:03 PM
    2013-10-14 8:25 PM
    in reply to: Goosedog

User image

For me, it will be when I qualify for Kona.

Until then I am just some guy who swims, bikes, and runs to keep his 6 pack from turning into a keg.
    2013-10-14 9:21 PM
    in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Master
    MidWest

I have competed in 3 triathlons and finished 2 of them.  I am a triathlete.  I was last at both of them but I gave it all I had and trained for both of them.  I don't go around telling everyone I am but I know in my heart that I am and no one can take that from me.  I don't I will ever do another one but it has inspired me to keep running.  I am a runner!!!! Am I fast?  NO!  Do I enjoy being out there, alone or with a group?  Hell, yes!

2013-10-14 11:13 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    I call myself a soccer player, but as for anything else, I'm a soccer player that likes to swim, bike, and/or run. I don't know anything else well enough to feel like I can represent it. That's just me, for me.

Edited by Blanda 2013-10-14 11:15 PM

2013-10-14 11:18 PM
    in reply to: Blanda

User image

Pro

I've thought about this all day because I just didn't really feel like I had an identity like a lot of "triathletes" seem to have.  Then I remembered that in the 4th grade, 45 years ago, I played the saxophone for 3 months. 

There ya go......I'm a saxophone player.

2013-10-15 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Tripleplay44 First off I am in NO WAY trying to belittle anyone's accomplishment at all. I think to get off the couch and do any type of athletic exercise or event is a great accomplishment. That being said my question is for yourself personanly when did you consider yourself to be a "True" Triatlete? I know from running events the statement has always been if you can run from here to there you are a "Runner". For JUST ME PERSONALLY I didnt consider myself a "True" Runner until I could get along the lines of first running an entire 5k, then progress to get my Half under 2 hrs, and Marathon around 4 hrs. Everyone's ability in different and that was just my "True" Runner barriers to cross when I first started running. I feel personally there is a difference in saying that I do 5k/ Halfs/Fulls and saying I run them. There is also the difference in saying you are a "Competeive or Elite" Runner I feel, but thats not what I am referring to.. So as to be considered a "True" Triathlete. Again anyone that gets off the couch and can swim, bike, and run is a great accommplishment, but In just your personal thoughts when did you consider yourself (or maybe not there yet) a "true" Triathlete? Was it once you cross a Sprint finishline, Olympic, Half Iron, or Full IM? Does it have to do with a Distance with a certain Finishing Time?

guess i'm not a runner

$175 reg fee

$700 hotel

train for 5 months

fly to chicago

run for 5 hours

still not a runner

2013-10-15 7:24 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    Alabama

I've thought about this all day because I just didn't really feel like I had an identity like a lot of "triathletes" seem to have.  Then I remembered that in the 4th grade, 45 years ago, I played the saxophone for 3 months. 

But the guestion is, when did you consider yourself a TRUE saxophonist?

2013-10-15 8:14 AM
    in reply to: Rogillio

New user
    I have never even brought up the fact I do tri's unless somebody asks me about it and that is very rare. I also have never heard anyone else say they were triathlete's either. If I meet someone who I know is doing races, yes we talk about all that stuff but never with my friends who don't. I go to the gym and the pool a lot, never heard anyone talking about themselves doing triathlon's. I'm not sure what that's all about ??
    2013-10-15 8:37 AM
    in reply to: mikealti62

User image

Pro
    Houston
    So entertaining.

A few weeks ago I had to see a doc about a serious saddle issue. I told him I was a cyclist just because I thought that was the best way to explain how I got the sore and what I do. FTR I do not consider myself a cyclist but it was pertinent to my visit. When he told me my issue would require surgery under general and a large incision I told him I had an ironman in a few weeks and that was not an option. He said "if you are doing an ironman you are not a cyclist, you are a triathlete"!

I'm not sure why people care so much about how other people classify themselves or what others think of them.
    Do your thing, be happy.

2013-10-15 8:47 AM
    in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

But the guestion is, when did you consider yourself a TRUE saxophonist?

If I could play chopsticks.

2013-10-15 9:23 AM
    in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I've been surfing since I was 8 years old (now 37). I've surfed all over the western hemisphere. I've nearly drowned when the leash snapped in 20' surf, broken boards, scraped hands/chin/legs/back on sharp bottoms, gotten into multiple fights in the line-up over priority, and almost lost an eye to my own board. But, since I've never bleached my hair, use dude/brah/mate/gnarly in my vocabulary, I've never considered myself a surfer. In high school there were plenty of kids that wore the clothes, had a surfboard resting at the corner of their bedrooms, but never got in the water. For them, I frequently wore a t-shirt that said "Surfers Suck."

However, I've been training in s/b/r since May of this year - raced one duathlon and three triathlons since June (all sprint). In the same time, I've raced in 11 running races (2 miler, 5k, 5 miler, 10k, 15k), will run a 1/2 marathon in December and very likely will run many more races before the year ends.

I'm more apt to call myself a triathlete than a surfer or a runner. But am still at odds about it.

2013-10-15 9:33 AM
    in reply to: vertseven

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm a triathlete, and LB can't change it!

For me it was when I was a contender for placing in my age group.  When the focus shifted from "can I finish this distance" to "how do I place in this distance", I considered myself a triathlete at that point.

2013-10-15 10:09 AM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Helloooooo...

Obviously you're a real triathlete if you chit bag on everyone else who calls themselves a triathlete.

Classic.

2013-10-15 10:09 AM

It will be different for everyone but IMO you are a true triathlete when you start spending money towards and following a training plan for triathlons and it becomes "the thing" you do. To me there has to be a level of commitment and consistency to "the thing" you do.

2013-10-15 10:15 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

Originally posted by switch

Helloooooo...

Obviously you're a real triathlete if you chit bag on everyone else who calls themselves a triathlete.

Classic.

You are definately NOT a triathlete!!

2013-10-15 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Originally posted by switch

Helloooooo...

Classic.

You are definately NOT a triathlete!!

And you can definitely SUCK IT.

2013-10-15 10:24 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!   

2013-10-15 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!   

2013-10-15 10:51 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    Distance has something to do with it.

I have done one mini sprint, right at the end of this season. No way am I a triathlete. I was trying it out. But having said that I have no problem wearing my t-shirt from the event.

Recently I was about 4km from home on a canal path running and had to dive behind a bush for a #2. Then got a bit sore shuffling home. At this point I realised that running was not longer a novelty or a fad, but part of who I am. Nothing to do with how many 5k 10k or HM event medals I have.

I think in reality however the entry level is very low. My wider group of friends and family only know one person to have completed a Triathlon. Me. Ask them 'Do you know a triathlete?' and they might just as easily say my name as getting into the technicality of "well I know one guy who has tried it once and might well do it again".

Even though my one event was very short and my form on that day fairly poor I did:

Wear spandex in public
    Swim in a lake that was posted as 'recommended not to swim' by the local public health board (goose poop).
    Shout at a cyclist to move over
    Looked awful in all the event photos
    Arsed up transition (in the future t-shirt first, then cycle helmet)
    Miss my target time by 31 seconds

So I think I now have much more in common with Triathletes than I ever have.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Since this is BEGINNER triathlete, a great article for the true beginner

Started by noelle1230
    Views: 1372 Posts: 4

2013-07-05 9:07 PM TriAya

Triathlete Profile holds True Again Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by The Dude14
    Views: 9017 Posts: 124

2010-10-24 5:21 PM kathy caribe

Not Considered a Triathlete...just yet

Started by Finley
    Views: 1048 Posts: 6

2008-02-10 3:19 PM Finley

Do you call yourself a triathlete? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Irish Stu
    Views: 5283 Posts: 89

2005-11-10 3:32 PM Whizzer

Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tom39
    Views: 3242 Posts: 56

2005-05-14 9:31 PM bmax
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 17, 2011
    author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
    comments : 5
    Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
    date : April 22, 2009
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : January 20, 2009
    author : AMSSM
    Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
    date : December 15, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : November 1, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
    date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.