General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete?
Not yet, anyway, I am still a try-athlete

2013-10-14 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Oh......you'll stir up a hornets nest with this one.  HA!!

I'll play anyway.  I did my first triathlon in the mid 80's.  I don't know how many I've done since then....the longest is a HIM.  I have NEVER referred to myself as a "triathlete" in any medium.  I have told people who have asked, yes, I run triathlons.

I used to play softball 2 or 3 times a week.....I wasn't a ballplayer.

Yes, you were.  

I bowl a couple times per year......sometimes I don't break 100....am I a bowler?

Yeah...you're just really bad at it.  

2013-10-14 11:51 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Unless someone's paying you to do it, you're not a Triathlete. You're a "whatever it is that you do" who enjoys competing in triathlons.

Not that it's a big deal.
2013-10-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's a fuzzy line, but to me (and similar to other posts), once it becomes something you have incorporated into your daily life for an extended period of time (what that is?  I don't know).

I did one race so I just did a triathlon.  I did one season and just did a summer of races.  But when the went into season two and was something I incorporated into my day to day and planned to continue doing it far into the foreseeable future?  Then I was a triathlete. YMMV

It may have been the moment when races felt routine - like I had been around the block a couple times.  Basically when stopped being worried if I was doing it right (setup, packet pickup, swim start placement, etc).

2013-10-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by VGT Unless someone's paying you to do it, you're not a Triathlete. You're a "whatever it is that you do" who enjoys competing in triathlons. Not that it's a big deal.

Agree with the not a big deal bit, buuuuuuut.....

Does that mean I'm not a pilot cuz no one is paying me when I fly a plane?  Not a dad, ditto?  Not a husband?  Not a hunter?  Fisherman?  Physician (no longer practice, but I certainly feel a bit like a doc) or scientist (got the PhD but am not in the lab anymore)?

Just my way of saying that to "be" something doesn't require getting cheddar, in my worldview.  It seems more about how you see yourself (or even sometimes how others see you - I know lots of folks I'd call triathletes that make no money at it, but who are more into triathlon than their jobs... or sometimes, sadly, even their families).

Happy to have different views, of course!   

LB did say you'd whacked the hornets' nest with this one. 

Matt

ETA:  that last comment was toward the OP, obviously...
M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-10-14 12:12 PM
2013-10-14 12:16 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Veteran
Tucson
This is an interesting thread. I have been tri training for over a year but have only actually done one sprint triathlon. After I completed that race I considered myself a triathlete. My hubby bought me a triathlon sticker for my car. Sometimes I feel silly when I see that sticker on my car as I have only done the one race. But I read everything there is related to triathlon and watch what ever there is to watch. When I am not injured I train 6 days a week. Currently I am injured and am swimming 5 days a week. Do I now consider myself a swimmer? Good grief no. Lol. I am an injured triathlete doing a swim focus. This is mostly stuff in my head though. Other than my sticker, I don't go around telling people that I am a triathlete.

2013-10-14 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I played a round of golf once so for the rest of my life I will call myself a golfer!

Pont being, most people don't really care what you call yourself or what your condersider yourself. I am a husband, father, engineer, Christian, republican, American, woodworker, swimmer, runner, biker, triathlete, scuba diver, snow skiier, gardener, southerner, fisherman, boater, explorer/traveler, writer, poet, photographer.....oh yeah, and golfer. ;-)

2013-10-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Austin

Originally posted by blynott

When you complete a triathlon.  However most people don't seem to know that there are different distance triathlons.  Since I told one of my friends that I had completed a few sprint triathlons he started calling me an Ironman and I can't get him to stop!

Last year when I finished my first HIM, I told my neighbor about it, so now he and his wife call me tin man (Thinking that was half of iron on the periodic table of elements. )... and say then will unitl I finish a full. Then they go back to drinking beers and laughing at me as I run by.

Gotta love em though.

btw so you don't have to look it up later. fe = 26, sn = 50 on the table.

This was my 3rd year of doing triathlons, and I would consider myself a triathlete. Once it became an obsession over just something to "try"

2013-10-14 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I'll play anyway.  I did my first triathlon in the mid 80's.  I don't know how many I've done since then....the longest is a HIM.  I have NEVER referred to myself as a "triathlete" in any medium.  I have told people who have asked, yes, I run triathlons.

Yes, you were.  

I bowl a couple times per year......sometimes I don't break 100....am I a bowler?

Depends.  How much beer do you consume over the 10 frames?

2013-10-14 12:52 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Pro

I know one thing......I don't care at all what you call yourself, but whenever I'm at the gym and someone calls themself a triathlete I'm lookiing for the exit signs. I just don't want to hear what's usually coming next.

2013-10-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sous

Yes, you were.  

Depends.  How much beer do you consume over the 10 frames?

Wait!! Is that part of the score?  I take it back!  I AM a bowler dammit!! 

2013-10-14 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

Originally posted by jetsers

Originally posted by blynott

When you complete a triathlon.  However most people don't seem to know that there are different distance triathlons.  Since I told one of my friends that I had completed a few sprint triathlons he started calling me an Ironman and I can't get him to stop!

Last year when I finished my first HIM, I told my neighbor about it, so now he and his wife call me tin man (Thinking that was half of iron on the periodic table of elements. )... and say then will unitl I finish a full. Then they go back to drinking beers and laughing at me as I run by.

Gotta love em though.

btw so you don't have to look it up later. fe = 26, sn = 50 on the table.

This was my 3rd year of doing triathlons, and I would consider myself a triathlete. Once it became an obsession over just something to "try"

Alumiman! (13, half of 26)

2013-10-14 1:03 PM

User image

Me = When I win at Kona!

Anyone else = whenever it makes them feel good!

2013-10-14 1:11 PM

User image

I'll leave it to Martin Heidegger to address the "being" questions but for me I guess it will be when there's never a moment I don't have a race on the books. If I have a race on the books and I'm training for it then I get into a different zone and when I get to the longer distances that's going to be pretty much a full time job.

I do not hold Mark Allen to the same definition. Nor would I say that Muhammed Ali is not a "boxer", only that he "boxed". But I'll leave the language questions for Wittgenstein.

2013-10-14 1:30 PM

User image

NC

• . . and someone calls themself a triathlete I'm lookiing for the exit signs.

• The race hat, race tech-t, race socks and race water bottle are usually a good hint.

2013-10-14 1:44 PM

Master
    Memphis, TN

Yes, you were.  

Nah, it means the pitchers of beer were cheap at the Bowling Alley Bar

As the Walter would say

F*&k it Dude, let's go bowling.

2013-10-14 2:02 PM
    in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2013-10-14 2:03 PM
    2013-10-14 2:02 PM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

Champion
    Alabama
    Socrates said: “To be is to do.”

He meant that in order for someone to develop into something, like a triathlete, they must first do the work of a triathlete, s/b/r.

Plato said: “To do is to be.”

Plato felt that before we do anything special like a triathlon we must first become that person inside that can do the actions required of a triathlete.

Freank Sinatra’s on the other hand said: “Do, be, do, be, do.”

So Sinatra was saying it is a process....a lifestyle.
    2013-10-14 2:48 PM

Pro

If you go to a party- do you know how to tell if there's another triathlete in the room?

he'll tell you

2013-10-14 2:57 PM
    in reply to: Rogillio

Veteran
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio Socrates said: “To be is to do.” He meant that in order for someone to develop into something, like a triathlete, they must first do the work of a triathlete, s/b/r. Plato said: “To do is to be.” Plato felt that before we do anything special like a triathlon we must first become that person inside that can do the actions required of a triathlete. Freank Sinatra’s on the other hand said: “Do, be, do, be, do.” So Sinatra was saying it is a process....a lifestyle.

Bwaahahahahaaaaaa!  I actually started laughing at my desk when I read this.

Fachin' awesome.

You are when you feel like you are - who cares about the rest of the definitions and pedantry (oh, wait, this is the interweb!). 

And, for the record, I don't call myself anything - except Matt, usually.

The triathlete formerly known as Matt

2013-10-14 3:01 PM
    in reply to: mcmanusclan5

I've taken part in many sports competitively all my life (different sports at different times) but I've never described myself as an [insert sport]er

I've always said, I swim / i play football / i do triathlons / etc etc but each to their own. I wouldn't look down my considerable nose at anyone describing themselves that way i

2013-10-14 6:04 PM

Austin

I know one thing......I don't care at all what you call yourself, but whenever I'm at the gym and someone calls themself a triathlete I'm lookiing for the exit signs. I just don't want to hear what's usually coming next.

what comes next for you?

2013-10-14 6:06 PM

Pro

what comes next for you?

Oh, I don't know, I'm thinking about the professional horseshoe circuit.

2013-10-14 6:11 PM

Austin

what comes next for you?

ok so that didn't read correctly.

I meant to ask what is it that the person who calls themselves a triathlete at the gym say that makes you want to run away?

At my gym I would love to meet some other triathletes. I think my wife and I are the youngest and most "active" people at the gym that are not trainers. I keep thinking I want to move to the big "triathlete" gym in town just so I have more people to talk to and train with.

2013-10-14 7:13 PM

Pro

what comes next for you?

ok so that didn't read correctly.

I meant to ask what is it that the person who calls themselves a triathlete at the gym say that makes you want to run away?

At my gym I would love to meet some other triathletes. I think my wife and I are the youngest and most "active" people at the gym that are not trainers. I keep thinking I want to move to the big "triathlete" gym in town just so I have more people to talk to and train with.

See, we're different.  I can talk about it here, because I can "walk away" from the discussion whenever I want,  but I don't want to talk with other people who do triathlons because I almost always want to just walk away while listening about what races they've done, what they are doing next, how fast they are, what kind of bike they have, what the best shoes are, and on and on and on.  I can pick and choose what I want to talk about on the board, but I don't want to seem completely disinterested (which is what I get really quick) to someone who is obviously excited about what they are doing and can't wait to talk about it.  It's just triathlon, not a cure for cancer or something that's actually important.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Since this is BEGINNER triathlete, a great article for the true beginner

Started by noelle1230
    Views: 1380 Posts: 4

2013-07-05 9:07 PM TriAya

Triathlete Profile holds True Again Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by The Dude14
    Views: 9025 Posts: 124

2010-10-24 5:21 PM kathy caribe

Not Considered a Triathlete...just yet

Started by Finley
    Views: 1049 Posts: 6

2008-02-10 3:19 PM Finley

Do you call yourself a triathlete? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Irish Stu
    Views: 5291 Posts: 89

2005-11-10 3:32 PM Whizzer

Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tom39
    Views: 3247 Posts: 56

2005-05-14 9:31 PM bmax
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 17, 2011
    author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
    comments : 5
    Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
    date : April 22, 2009
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : January 20, 2009
    author : AMSSM
    Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
    date : December 15, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : November 1, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
    date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.