General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointing Race Two Weeks After Half-Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-14 10:53 AM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: Disappointing Race Two Weeks After Half-Ironman
I'm hoping for some expert opinions to see if this is a justifiable excuse...

Yesterday, I ran a disappointing half marathon. It was 1:35, which is slow for me. I ran 3-5 minutes slower than I had expected, based on training and past results. I had an ok first 6 miles, and then the wheels came off. The legs just weren't there. My hips/ groin seized up some but I probably could have pushed through it. I'm trying to regroup and figure out where I went wrong.

Two weeks ago I did the Atomic Man half Ironman. It was a fairly hilly bike and run, and I raced hard enough to finish second overall of the women. I was muscle sore for a few days, and then started training again.

Do you think two weeks was not enough recovery time? How long does it take you all to fully recover from a HIM before feeling race ready again? And how do you regroup after a disappointing race? I feel fine today. Should i jump back into training or take some easy days?

2013-10-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Disappointing Race Two Weeks After Half-Ironman
two weeks is not enough time between two long'ish races you are trying to PB IMO.

The last HIM I really felt like I put it all out there for (2011) took me a few weeks to recover from.
2013-10-14 11:05 AM

What did your training look like between the two events with respect to your usual training volume? What did it look like four days leading into the HM? Sounds like you had tired legs and/or an off day. It happens to us all. You can't always hit out on your best every race. A HM two weeks after a HIM isn't too little recovery time assuming you put in the proper training leading into the HIM.
2013-10-14 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by erinrockrun

Yesterday, I ran a disappointing half marathon. It was 1:35, which is slow for me. I ran 3-5 minutes slower than I had expected, based on training and past results. I had an ok first 6 miles, and then the wheels came off. The legs just weren't there. My hips/ groin seized up some but I probably could have pushed through it. I'm trying to regroup and figure out where I went wrong.

Two weeks ago I did the Atomic Man half Ironman. It was a fairly hilly bike and run, and I raced hard enough to finish second overall of the women. I was muscle sore for a few days, and then started training again.

Do you think two weeks was not enough recovery time? How long does it take you all to fully recover from a HIM before feeling race ready again? And how do you regroup after a disappointing race? I feel fine today. Should i jump back into training or take some easy days?

Recovery time is different for everyone. Based on the fact that you didn't have a great half marathon, two weeks wasn't enough time for you. I would suggest taking 2-4 days off this week. Lay around, relax, if you do swim/bike/run make it short and very easy. Then get back to it.

Don't let the bad race get in your head. You just needed more recovery time.

2013-10-14 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

looks like you had a great Atomic Man race. 5:17 is really a nice result.

I'm assuming you went hard, which is going to cost you in recovery time.

However, I wouldn't sneeze at a 1:35 HM time either, that's great and only 3-5 mins off your expectation ? I'd say be stoked and look to the next race.
2013-10-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Seattle
Without even getting any additional information I feel I can safely say you simply weren't recovered enough for an optimal race performance. I'm curious though, what kind if effort was your HIM and what kind of indicators did you have that led you to believe you could run the HM faster?

2013-10-14 10:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
And I'm asking relative to you, not others in the race. Sorry, I couldn't edit before my 30 min window was up.
2013-10-14 10:11 PM

User image

My HIM was no where near your (just over 6 hours) but I felt fine the very next day. I was not sore at all and felt refreshed after 6 hours of sleep. Since my HIM was scheduled into my IM plan (week 22/30), I trained again 2 days after the race. I had an easy week where I did no intervals and just did time/duration workouts. I did skip a day midweek and shortened 2 workouts that week since I was mentally burned out and really wanted a break. If you're fit, and it sounds like you are, you should be more than fine after 2 weeks. Ease back into it to get the body moving again and then get back into your normal routine.

As to how to get over your race you didn't like....well get over it. I was not pleased with my HIM, even though I was still sick and it was my first. Everyday can't be a good day. Sometimes your body needed more rest, different food, was over or under trained, or a million other things. A few minutes off your HM time isn't bad at all. Sounds like you rocked it for your HIM, and that's what I did too with my next races. Carried my bad race with me for my IM and it helped keep me going since I had my goal time in my head and nothing was going to stop me.
2013-10-15 7:40 AM

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Without even getting any additional information I feel I can safely say you simply weren't recovered enough for an optimal race performance. I'm curious though, what kind if effort was your HIM and what kind of indicators did you have that led you to believe you could run the HM faster?

Based on my past performances. I had run a 1:33 HM as part of a long run (not all out) with similar training/ fitness level.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm hoping to regroup and point toward a redeeming effort in a month or so. I think I may have over-tapered for the HIM and then spent too much time recovering which resulted in a little fitness loss.
2013-10-15 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Disappointment is when your result doesn't meet expectations, but sometimes it's your expectations that are askew with reality - such as not taking into account sufficient time to recover. Evaluate your preparation and how you felt prior to the race to reassess those expectations. IMHO your HM result is well within the margin of acceptable.

Personally, it takes me at least a week to get back into the daily routine - not just training wise - after a HIM. After two weeks I may take up regular training again, after a month I may race shorter distances but don't expect to perform. For the same reason my training plan only go to my next A race, I don't think beyond.

Go easy on yourself for the next week and see how you feel.

BR
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointing Race Two Weeks After Half-Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice--two races in two weeks

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 632 Posts: 3

2013-04-06 9:39 AM reecealan

Two races in two weeks

Started by baoneer
Views: 684 Posts: 2

2013-03-08 3:30 AM metafizx

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2429 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

two races two weeks apart

Started by mark.evans
Views: 883 Posts: 7

2011-08-08 10:09 AM bradaskins

Two races in two weeks?

Started by bezonkered
Views: 931 Posts: 7

2005-07-10 12:11 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : October 30, 2005
What most athletes forget to realize is that all the training in the world will go down the toilet if the pacing or the nutrition plan isn�t executed properly.
date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.