General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bottles on the Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-15 7:58 AM

User image

Subject: Bottles on the Bike?
Days away from my first IM and just curious what most of you would do. I'm roughly a 6hr bike rider for this event and the forecast is for below 70 degrees. I'm riding a Specialized Shiv with the fuselage bladder up front(holds about 20oz) and have one bottle out back behind the seat. Under the forecasted conditions I consume 1 bottle every 1 1/2 hrs (using heed). So the way I'm set up I can go 3 hrs (1/2 way) before needing to grab another bottle. I really want to bypass the special needs aid station if at all possible (if I don't need anything, I understand that's the most congested area) So to my question. What would you do? Add a bottle to the down tube ,carry the extra weight and slight aero drag and only have to grab one bottle on course somewhere? OR just leave the two bottle setup and grab a bottle at the aid station before 1/2 way then another before the end?

2013-10-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bottles on the Bike?
From what I've seen, filling the bladder on the fly is tricky so here's what I would do:

1 concentrated bottle behind the seat
Concentrated Heed in the bladder
1 regular bottle of water on a cage attached to the aerobars - replace at every aid station

Assuming you can make a 3 hour bottle of Heed and fill the bladder with 3 hours worth as well, sip from these as the race progresses and take water to dilute the Heed as you drink it.

Shane
2013-10-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
It's a challenging distance. I'm working on a century ride every week as I prep for a Spring IM, and I'm down to this: The amount of time it takes to get extra fluids is well worth the risk of loosing time and not worth the pain of not having enough (in my case, my aid stations are 7-Eleven's). My wife has a shiv, and it is a pain to refill. She also has a bottle cage. In summary, get as much fluid as you can, as often as you can and keep the bike tanked up however you can.

On the run, you can absorb so much less, you need to get off the bike as fresh as possible.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-15 11:02 AM
2013-10-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Just posted this same question in the IMAZ group. For the IM vets here, did you take any of your bottle cages off prior to your IM? I currently have 4 bottle cages - aero, down tube, and two behind the seat (X-Lab setup).

Since there's so many aid stations on the bike course, I'm thinking of removing the rear X-Lab setup that holds two bike cages. Figure the easiest way to gain speed at this point is to ditch weight and I should be fine with two bottles on the bike (one for Infinit, other for water). Thoughts?
2013-10-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I did what I did on all 3+ hour training rides, carry two water and one Gatorade, all 24 oz. My setup was different than yours (2 water on rear seat mount, one Gatorade on down tube) but I did on race day exactly what I did during training.

2013-10-15 1:39 PM

User image

As far as filling the bladder up on the shiv, its really not that bad. I've been doing it all summer and I only have to break cadence or get out of aero when I reach back to grab the bottle. Then I'm back down in aero and pick my cadence back up while I'm filling the bladder. If you're on a step roller its even easier. I've been training with 1scp of heed per bottle because that's how they are giving it out on course. I guess my question should have been since I'm a MOP on the bike (slow swimmer so if its like all my other tris I do more passing on the bike) Should I load the bike down with a extra bottle and stay away from the congestion at the aid stations(especially the first half of the race, from my understanding you're more likely to get involved in a incident at the aid stations with some people stopping, some slowing way down and some flying thru) or just keep the 40oz setup (bladder one bottle) and hit the 2nd and 4th or 5th aid station. Or am I overthinking the riders and congestion at the aid stations?

2013-10-15 1:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02 Just posted this same question in the IMAZ group. For the IM vets here, did you take any of your bottle cages off prior to your IM? I currently have 4 bottle cages - aero, down tube, and two behind the seat (X-Lab setup). Since there's so many aid stations on the bike course, I'm thinking of removing the rear X-Lab setup that holds two bike cages. Figure the easiest way to gain speed at this point is to ditch weight and I should be fine with two bottles on the bike (one for Infinit, other for water). Thoughts?

At IMAZ weight is the least of your problems (and one or two bottles ain't gonna make/break your day).  Being aero there is more important as there is no real gravity working against you except slightly up the Beeline (and aero beats weight).  That said, is two BTS bottles aero?  I don't know, but I doubt it (but then again, have to weigh how "un aero" against the time to stop at SN if needed).

I didn't have a BTA bottle at the time, so I used two bottles in frame cages and one BTS, both concentrated Infinit so I dropped one half way through.  Similar at Canada, but one frame (infinit), one BTS (water) and one BTA (just a cage zip tied, Infinit), again dropping one Infinit half way thru.  I took two Infinit bottles (and had one "dry" emergency in SN in case) so I didn't have to stop at SN if I didn't want to.   Didn't stop at either Bike SN. 

2013-10-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by devilfan02 Just posted this same question in the IMAZ group. For the IM vets here, did you take any of your bottle cages off prior to your IM? I currently have 4 bottle cages - aero, down tube, and two behind the seat (X-Lab setup). Since there's so many aid stations on the bike course, I'm thinking of removing the rear X-Lab setup that holds two bike cages. Figure the easiest way to gain speed at this point is to ditch weight and I should be fine with two bottles on the bike (one for Infinit, other for water). Thoughts?

At IMAZ weight is the least of your problems (and one or two bottles ain't gonna make/break your day).  Being aero there is more important as there is no real gravity working against you except slightly up the Beeline (and aero beats weight).  That said, is two BTS bottles aero?  I don't know, but I doubt it (but then again, have to weigh how "un aero" against the time to stop at SN if needed).

I didn't have a BTA bottle at the time, so I used two bottles in frame cages and one BTS, both concentrated Infinit so I dropped one half way through.  Similar at Canada, but one frame (infinit), one BTS (water) and one BTA (just a cage zip tied, Infinit), again dropping one Infinit half way thru.  I took two Infinit bottles (and had one "dry" emergency in SN in case) so I didn't have to stop at SN if I didn't want to.   Didn't stop at either Bike SN. 

Ditto. Do you REALLY think an extra 20-22 oz bottle is SO HEAVY and make you so NON aerodynamic that it will make or break your day? REALLY? OR is it better to use the nutrition you practiced with and know you tolerate? I carry 40oz in my aerobottle and put 2 bottles on my frame of concentrated drink and water it down with water from the aide stations and throw the bottles off when they are empty
2013-10-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Socks

Ditto. Do you REALLY think an extra 20-22 oz bottle is SO HEAVY and make you so NON aerodynamic that it will make or break your day? REALLY? OR is it better to use the nutrition you practiced with and know you tolerate? I carry 40oz in my aerobottle and put 2 bottles on my frame of concentrated drink and water it down with water from the aide stations and throw the bottles off when they are empty

Wow, Socks, thanks for the pissy response. 44oz of liquid is 2.75lbs. Add the additional weight of the water bottles, the X-Lab setup, and rear bottle cages and you're looking at a total of around 4lbs. Based on all the posts I see here of folks trying to get to "race weight" for their IM, I would say that's an easy 4lbs to cut.

Further, who said I would alter my nutrition/hydration plan by eliminating my rear bottle setup???? There's aid stations approximately every 30 minutes on the IMAZ bike course (3-loops, 37 miles each loop, 4 aid stations each loop). W/out the rear setup, I'll still have a water bottle in aero and my Infinit on the downtube. Why lug around unnecessary water when you can grab a new bottle every 30 minutes? I'll still easily consume 24oz of water per hour going that route.

So, yes, I'm REALLY going to remove my rear setup. Try not to assume what others nutrition plans are before SHOUTING at them.
2013-10-16 1:20 PM

User image

• Why lug around unnecessary water when you can grab a new bottle every 30 minutes?

• exactly... let the camels be camels
    2013-10-16 1:30 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02
    Originally posted by Socks

Wow, Socks, thanks for the pissy response. 44oz of liquid is 2.75lbs. Add the additional weight of the water bottles, the X-Lab setup, and rear bottle cages and you're looking at a total of around 4lbs. Based on all the posts I see here of folks trying to get to "race weight" for their IM, I would say that's an easy 4lbs to cut. Further, who said I would alter my nutrition/hydration plan by eliminating my rear bottle setup???? There's aid stations approximately every 30 minutes on the IMAZ bike course (3-loops, 37 miles each loop, 4 aid stations each loop). W/out the rear setup, I'll still have a water bottle in aero and my Infinit on the downtube. Why lug around unnecessary water when you can grab a new bottle every 30 minutes? I'll still easily consume 24oz of water per hour going that route. So, yes, I'm REALLY going to remove my rear setup. Try not to assume what others nutrition plans are before SHOUTING at them.

Back to the point, whatever you do, weigh what you are carrying against. what you may need to stop for.

Ideal  #1 - Carry everything you need nutrition wise (2 concentrated small Infinit bottles, remember, as you drink they weigh less over time), grab water at aid stations.

Ideal #2 (or some would say #1) - live off the course, and get perform /gatorade at stations.  Thois requires slowing down at aid stations, potential for interactions with other riders, etc. so I don't personally think it trups #1

Not so ideal - Carry one bottle, have to stop at SN = defeats being aero.

Not so ideal  - Carry bottles you have to sit up and grab = defeats aero

So it's a balance.  And I'll say it again, aero beats weight in nearly all tri courses, but especially somewhere like Florida, Arizona, etc.  Good blog on teh subject http://fiftyonespeedshop.com/blog.php (choose "weight vs Aero - excerpt:  "When should a triathlete choose weight over aero in regards to their race day bike setup? The short answer is NEVER")

For Canada, my choices were carry one Infinit and one water, or two infinits and one water.   I figure the weight of the one extra bottle was probably wirth more than the time I would spend stopping at SN to get another bottle.  And, I'd theoretically only have two bottles for half the ride, as I'd ditch the first one when empty (turned out to be more like 2/3 of the way in).  I would have my lightest setup for the last 20 mile climb back to Whistler.

All of that said, it's one component of a larger setup - disc, aero front wheel, aero helmet, proper fit, etc. - all of which add up to maybe some time savings.  Hard to quantify it though

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-16 1:38 PM

2013-10-16 1:55 PM

User image

There is no question that the extra bottle is much better if you plan on taking in a specific mix for nutrition. special needs is a waste of time unless it is 100% mandatory... just dont think having 2 extra bottles of water hanging on is doing anyone any good when the stations are so close together
    2013-10-16 2:03 PM
    in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Originally posted by Tryrn There is no question that the extra bottle is much better if you plan on taking in a specific mix for nutrition. special needs is a waste of time unless it is 100% mandatory... just dont think having 2 extra bottles of water hanging on is doing anyone any good when the stations are so close together

This is true, no reason to carry plain water

2013-10-16 2:52 PM

User image

I agree with the last two posts. Unless you have a specific nutrition need that isn't provided by the course then there's no need to carry more than two bottles. Perhaps if you're expecting a really hot day and you're a sweater but all things being average - two bottles is fine and then grab and replace at aid stations as you go.

I'm not a fan of the 'behind the seat' set ups as I don't trust them and can't think of anything worse than reaching behind to find one or both of them gone - well I can but you get the idea.

Standard bottles that can be discarded and replaced easily and quickly are the most efficient - the most practical set up I've seen is one on the aero bars and one on the frame. Three large sips every 20 minutes, discard and replace one at a time at every aid station.
    2013-10-16 2:56 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
    ^ Chris, good points above and I totally agree. Like you, I will carry all my nutrition on me and will only stop at SN's if absolutely necessary.

I'm definitely over analyzing the weight situation but what else are we supposed to do a month out from the big day?

I'm a below avg cyclist and think the climb to Shea is tough. Any weight I can cut to help me with that stretch 3x is an added benefit, even though it might only be mental.
    2013-10-16 3:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02 ^ Chris, good points above and I totally agree. Like you, I will carry all my nutrition on me and will only stop at SN's if absolutely necessary. I'm definitely over analyzing the weight situation but what else are we supposed to do a month out from the big day? I'm a below avg cyclist and think the climb to Shea is tough. Any weight I can cut to help me with that stretch 3x is an added benefit, even though it might only be mental.

Good point!

Tip for BTS bottle, I was a little scared to put nutrition back there, but ised a gorilla cage in training and it worked well.  And I put a small rubber band over the top of the bottle.  I was only going to reach for it once, and it held well (holds well without the rubber band, just a little insurance)

My only tip for Shea is ignore those going by you in the big ring on loop one, I was in the small ring from the first loop on once it started pointing a little up.  No point in beating your legs up when you have to do it 3X.  Most of them will be in the small ring too on lap 2 and 3

2013-10-16 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    I've gone back and forth about this for IMFL (my first). In training for logistics I've carried 4 bottles on long rides. With water stops I could easily do 2 but would have to stop at special needs for my second bottle of Infinit. Weighing the time stopping at special needs I decided I'm going to have 4 cages (BTA, downtube, 2 rear xlab). I'll start the bike with two 3 hour Infinit mixes (hoping for a 5:45 finish but better safe than sorry) and one bottle will have a flat kit (eliminating my rear bag). My DSW top tube bento will have some solid nutrition and doesn't have enough space for tube, co2, and inflator. I've also had 0 problems with my rear hydration using rubber bands, however will have an Infinit bottle mixed in special needs just in case. I'm riding at 225 lbs so those extra 4 or so lbs aren't really that important vs. stopping at special needs. As a 6 hour rider I'd rather be certain I have my nutrition to keep going through the run. 4lbs isn't going to lose me a podium spot or anything.

I've probably put more thought into this than I should have,
    2013-10-17 7:27 AM

Master
    , California

Originally posted by Tryrn There is no question that the extra bottle is much better if you plan on taking in a specific mix for nutrition. special needs is a waste of time unless it is 100% mandatory... just dont think having 2 extra bottles of water hanging on is doing anyone any good when the stations are so close together

This is true, no reason to carry plain water

I'm a "live off the course" person.  I raced Western Australia with one bottle (aero bars only --  used my P4 bottle for tools).  But the aid stations were about an hour apart as I recall.  Halfway through the bike it started getting very hot out and I could've used a second bottle.  I always have two now, even if I don't think I'll need them.

Side note: Western Australia is so flat that the weight is absolutely not an issue.  I was just lazy and didn't have my extra bottle cage on.

2013-10-18 10:48 AM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by devilfan02 ^ Chris, good points above and I totally agree. Like you, I will carry all my nutrition on me and will only stop at SN's if absolutely necessary. I'm definitely over analyzing the weight situation but what else are we supposed to do a month out from the big day? I'm a below avg cyclist and think the climb to Shea is tough. Any weight I can cut to help me with that stretch 3x is an added benefit, even though it might only be mental.

Good point!

Tip for BTS bottle, I was a little scared to put nutrition back there, but ised a gorilla cage in training and it worked well.  And I put a small rubber band over the top of the bottle.  I was only going to reach for it once, and it held well (holds well without the rubber band, just a little insurance)

My only tip for Shea is ignore those going by you in the big ring on loop one, I was in the small ring from the first loop on once it started pointing a little up.  No point in beating your legs up when you have to do it 3X.  Most of them will be in the small ring too on lap 2 and 3

Thanks, Chris. I'm going to keep my current 4-cage setup for SOMA (HIM) this Sunday and will try the rubber band recommendation.

Also, totally agree with attacking Shea in the small ring. I've rode the Beeline that way the last couple rides (5 and 7 hour rides) and it seemed to really help. Everyone out here in AZ says to have a SPECIFIC plan of attack for loop 1 and stick to it. Let folks pass you because you'll most likely be passing them on loop 3.
    2013-10-19 10:17 PM
    in reply to: #4877255

User image

Veteran
    For your first IM, plan to stop at SN and pee. Your goal, THE goal for the day is to finish, vertical and smiling. All this yak yak about skipping SN to shave, what 3 minutes? off of 12 hours is dumb. Stop at SN, pee, vaseline your butt, eat a treat from your SN bag, reload bottles, pedal on.

The 'congestion' at aid stations is minor, and less so on the second half as the crowd spreads out. I would skip the first aid station which is usually busy, unless you really need it.
    2013-10-20 11:52 AM
    in reply to: AtlantaBill

User image

Originally posted by AtlantaBill For your first IM, plan to stop at SN and pee. Your goal, THE goal for the day is to finish, vertical and smiling. All this yak yak about skipping SN to shave, what 3 minutes? off of 12 hours is dumb. Stop at SN, pee, vaseline your butt, eat a treat from your SN bag, reload bottles, pedal on. The 'congestion' at aid stations is minor, and less so on the second half as the crowd spreads out. I would skip the first aid station which is usually busy, unless you really need it.

I dunno, I've done two IMs, including my first ever, without ever stopping at SN.  What a dummy I am!

Saying that any advice is dumb in executing an IM is, well, dumb.   Have to see how the day goes.  Maybe you stop at SN.  Maybe you have to pee.   You don't *plan* to stop at SN and pee.  You have your SN bag in case you need it.  If you don't, it's dumb to stop because well, that was the plan.  And you pee when you have to.  You saying wait until mile 56 to pee?

And I've never vaseline'd my butt during any ride.  Ever. 

2013-10-20 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
    Fernandina Beach, FL

Originally posted by AtlantaBill For your first IM, plan to stop at SN and pee. Your goal, THE goal for the day is to finish, vertical and smiling. All this yak yak about skipping SN to shave, what 3 minutes? off of 12 hours is dumb. Stop at SN, pee, vaseline your butt, eat a treat from your SN bag, reload bottles, pedal on. The 'congestion' at aid stations is minor, and less so on the second half as the crowd spreads out. I would skip the first aid station which is usually busy, unless you really need it.

I dunno, I've done two IMs, including my first ever, without ever stopping at SN.  What a dummy I am!

Saying that any advice is dumb in executing an IM is, well, dumb.   Have to see how the day goes.  Maybe you stop at SN.  Maybe you have to pee.   You don't *plan* to stop at SN and pee.  You have your SN bag in case you need it.  If you don't, it's dumb to stop because well, that was the plan.  And you pee when you have to.  You saying wait until mile 56 to pee?

Haha I just read that and thought the same thing. "So I have to sit at SN and wait to pee?"
    2013-10-20 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
    Originally posted by devilfan02

Just posted this same question in the IMAZ group. For the IM vets here, did you take any of your bottle cages off prior to your IM? I currently have 4 bottle cages - aero, down tube, and two behind the seat (X-Lab setup).

Since there's so many aid stations on the bike course, I'm thinking of removing the rear X-Lab setup that holds two bike cages. Figure the easiest way to gain speed at this point is to ditch weight and I should be fine with two bottles on the bike (one for Infinit, other for water). Thoughts?

I took off the behind seat bottles cages. just left on two, concentrated mix on downtube and water in aero bottle. replaced concentrated bottle at special needs.
    2013-10-23 3:34 AM
    in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Veteran
    Originally posted by rjrankin83

Haha I just read that and thought the same thing. "So I have to sit at SN and wait to pee?"

My assumptions: advice to a MOP first-time IM and whose primary goal should be to finish, rather than worrying about shaving 3 minutes off of 12 hours, or 14 hours, etc.

If they PLAN to stop at SN, then of course they can change the plan as needed. But it is better, for a first timer, to be thinking 'I can stop at SN' than it is to plan not to stop at SN.

If you plan not to stop, and you blow past it, then 20 miles later you can not have whatever is in your SN bag (snack, change socks, TUMS, add a layer, lube a hot spot before it becomes a blister, etc.) and *might* effect your ability to finish.

If you do stop, and it turns out you didn't really need to, so what, it cost only 2-3 minutes, which does not effect you reaching your goal, to finish.

Yes, of course you can pee on the bike, or you can stop any where, any time. And there are those who can go a whole IM without having to pee. But in my opinion, if a first timer gets to mile 56 and has not had the need to pee, they are *possibly* not drinking enough. If they are drinking enough and they are able to empty their bladder, then it saves them having to stop 10 miles later.

If this was advice to a multi-time FOP HIM finisher doing first IM, then sure, 'go get'em tiger', you don't need to stop, get your snacks and hydration on the fly.
    2013-10-23 11:45 AM
    in reply to: AtlantaBill

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
    I agree regarding peeing on the bike - I'm stopping every time to complete that task. However, saying I should stop at SN's simply because I'm a first timer is flawed advice. I trained the entire year with bike nutrition on-hand and didn't need to stop. Don't see why I would change that up and stop at SN's simply because it's my first IM.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bottles on the Bike? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Trying to maximize my bottles on the bike...

Started by Plissken74
    Views: 2023 Posts: 10

2011-02-18 7:58 AM moriatesg

How many bottles to carry on bike during IM Pages: 1 2

Started by triwor
    Views: 3311 Posts: 45

2008-11-04 3:17 PM Daremo

BIke S/N bag: Replacement bottles question

Started by CNIDog
    Views: 984 Posts: 7

2007-07-08 11:18 AM slowone

Where can I find 28 ounce bike bottles

Started by BIllabong140.6
    Views: 991 Posts: 4

2007-06-21 11:03 AM tkbslc

IM bike hydration -- bottles

Started by KenyonTri
    Views: 1911 Posts: 17

2006-12-17 4:29 PM bryancd
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 15, 2013
    author : XLAB Hydration
    comments : 0
    XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : March 18, 2012
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 1
    What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
    date : August 11, 2011
    author : FitWerx
    Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 9
    Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
    date : November 17, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 5, 2006
    author : DominiqueL
    comments : 12
    When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
    date : July 30, 2006
    author : TriDoc5280
    Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : June 6, 2006
    author : DominiqueL
    Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.