General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Higher heart rates Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-15 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Higher heart rates

Two part question here, folks. I've been battling achilles tendonitis. I took off about 2 months without much running, but I've return to training over the last few weeks. I immediately noticed that for the same pace pre-injury, I've been seeing a heart rate of about 10 beats higher. So is this normal? I didn't expect 2 months off to hurt my fitness that much. (I was still swimming and biking).

Today, my heart rate was a further 10 beats higher than the last time I ran a few days ago (same pace). The weather was the same, so the only difference I can see is that I was very tired waking up this morning (I have two small children). Does being tired cause higher heart rates?

2013-10-15 11:24 AM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Higher heart rates
It will take you a few weeks to get back to "normal". IMO, I would let my hr dictate my pace, not the other way around. Especially coming off of an injury. 2 months is a long time to be off, even biking and swimming. Patience is in order. In no time, you will be back where you were.
2013-10-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: todds

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by todds

It will take you a few weeks to get back to "normal". IMO, I would let my hr dictate my pace, not the other way around. Especially coming off of an injury. 2 months is a long time to be off, even biking and swimming. Patience is in order. In no time, you will be back where you were.

I generally try to have HR dictate my pace, but it can be difficult to slow down when you are with a group of folks.
2013-10-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

As a runner who has had several injury breaks-- any swimming and cycling you do won't help you keep up your running fitness if you stop running. So it will take you a bit to get back, but it will come back, so just be patient. And yes, your heart rate can be higher if you are already fatigued.

And build back gradually-- and back off pace/intensity at any sign of pain. You may have to forgo running with your group while you are recovering. Resist the urge to run too fast. I just had an Achilles relapse and it's not fun.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-10-17 7:59 PM
2013-10-17 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4877439

I agree with Jennifer_runs.... Taking 2 months off running will definitely have an effect on HR upon your return. Each of the three sports just carry their own very individual physiologic stress, so it'll take a few weeks to return to normal. And, yes, being tired can cause higher HRs. Your resting HR in the morning can sometimes tell you where you are in your recovery...when I'm not quite recovered from a big workout my AM HR will be 6-12 beats higher than average. For me, this carries over into my workouts as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Higher heart rates Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

high cadence = high heart rate

Started by 3aces
Views: 3564 Posts: 9

2005-11-20 12:54 PM 3aces

High Heart Rates- What's up?

Started by AllieG
Views: 1237 Posts: 21

2005-08-04 5:20 PM RGRBILL

High heart rate during training

Started by cevans111
Views: 944 Posts: 7

2005-07-20 5:31 PM esparkhu

Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle!

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 742 Posts: 4

2005-06-20 8:21 PM KenMierke

High heart rate and breathing rate after bike

Started by derekh25
Views: 1156 Posts: 3

2004-08-19 9:32 AM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.