General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on trail shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-15 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: School me on trail shoes

Ok- I just did something stupid and signed up for a 50mi trail run.  I think it's a combination of dusty dirt roads, streams and rocky trails, with 7500 feet of climbing.  I'm a flat footed pronator that after a few years of running, have found regular running shoes that I like.  Those with a little, but not too much support, flexibility and some cushion.  my favorites- ASICS DS Trainers for short runs, Nike Lunarglide for long runs, Mizuno Elixer for long races.

So- teach me about trail shoes.  what should I be looking for.  what are their features.  why are they different.

from a training standpoint- my long trail runs will probably start and end with 3-4 miles of running on pavement before I hit the trail, so perhaps shoes that have a tread that doesn't get too chewed up by blacktop?

help!

2013-10-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: School me on trail shoes
I think the big differences are tred and side to side mobility. Also the ability for the shoe to drain quickly, this is not it being waterproof but helps when you get the shoes drenched that they drain quickly and don't add weight. By side to side mobility I mean, some road shoes are good at only going forward, if all of a sudden you have to change direction then you have to be super careful. This is not all road shoes, for example I find Kinvaras to be very good on easy trails.

Also, lots of people, especially fast people, don't use trail shoes. I think for a lot of them their shoes are super light and have the mobility they need. Regarding the tred, I have heard people say before that traction is over rated.

I have not run in the shoes you mention. I know some companies claim they build trail shoe versions of their road shoes, my experience is that that is largely marketing.

Also, 3-4 miles running on pavement in trail shoes is going to suck. I own many different pairs and none of them (save the NB minimus) feel good on the road.
2013-10-17 4:22 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: School me on trail shoes

Thanks for the input.  The shoes I run in tend to be  in the "performance stability" category.  i.e. they have a little support for pronation, but are also lighter, flexible.  Not like full motion control-or stability shoes.  hate that!

yeah- don't want waterproof.  Want ones that drain.  I live in the desert.  Dry dusty trails and stream crossings (rarely)

Most (all?) trail shoes seem to have a plate in them. A layer of hard plastic that presumably protects your feet from pointy rocks?  these plates also appear to have the effect of stiffening the flexibility.  I enjoy more flexible shoes for the road- but do most people want something 'stiffer' for trails and long runs?

Might I want more "stability and support" for trail running?  I'm shooting for long stuff, so I'll be running a lot slower and spending more time on my feet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on trail shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes

Started by saldana_joel
Views: 5265 Posts: 3

2010-06-22 12:19 PM dmwill37

Trail running shoes vs. road shoes

Started by BellaDad
Views: 863 Posts: 3

2009-03-17 10:28 AM BellaDad

Trail shoes

Started by rjba2000
Views: 442 Posts: 2

2006-02-28 4:18 PM glf33

Trail running shoes?

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 394 Posts: 5

2005-10-17 8:21 AM newbiedoo

Running shoes for the trail...

Started by Christ
Views: 1159 Posts: 8

2005-02-03 8:07 AM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.