General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Triathlon vs.TT Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-15 9:54 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: XTERRA Triathlon vs.TT Triathlon
Guys/Gal

explains pls. and advise if I am to do XTERRA.

as if i am a 10 yr old.

Thanks

2013-10-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: XTERRA Triathlon vs.TT Triathlon
You'll have so much fun you'll feel like you're 10 again.

Seriously.

I mainly do XTERRAS and like everything about them more than a standard road tri. The atmosphere, course, challenges. As far as training, train like you would for an Olympic and do some mountain biking in there.

Do it. You won't regret it.
2013-10-15 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
XTERRA is really fun, and different than road tri's due to being off-road.

That means you need skills on the mountain bike, and trail running.

The typical XTERRA bike course is not super technical but it does have it's share of rocks, roots, mud, hills, and general off-road sort of things.
So it's advised to know how to mountain bike as best as you can prior to attempting one.

Bike and Run courses are usually mixed terrain; fields, wooded areas, streams, fire roads, and single/double track.

Swim is pretty much what you'd experience in road tri's, no change there.

If you have one in mind, best to visit their website and gather intel.

2013-10-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro

LOVE Xterra, and I'm a terrible mountain biker

Same concept as a tri, except the bike and run are off-road. Usually, the trails are a little challenging and a lot of fun.

Here's my first Xterra race report: http://ratherbeswimming.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/race-report-deuces-wild-xterra/

and photos: http://ratherbeswimming.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/deuces-wild-xterra-a-photo-gallery/

Terrain wasn't too technical, but it wasn't easy, either.

If you can pre-ride the course, DO IT. 

The atmosphere is different, for sure, but in a good way.

2013-10-16 10:40 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I said this in another thread, but XTERRA is the most fun I ever had in a triathlon, save maybe Escape from Alcatraz.  (IM being the most satisfying due to the accomplishment).

As for a comparison.  Maybe it's just me but ROUGHLY, a sprint/sport XTERRA is about as hard as Oly on the road and a standard XTERRA almost takes as much out of me as an HIM.  Not quite as much, but close.

2013-10-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: Kido

Master
Memphis, TN
Around here it's mostly single track trails. How do you pass someone in an XTerra on the bike? Keep in mind I'm not a very good MTB at all. So MTB noob checking in. I love trail running and this appeals to me but the bike portion has me uneasy.

2013-10-16 10:45 AM

What are the rules on passing and drafting? I would think that on single track you would need to get close enough that you would be in the draft zone in order to wait until you find a safe place to pass. Or are you suspose to yeild when being passed?
2013-10-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
How do i size myself up for a MTB i am currently 5'8" and fitted on Size 54" roadie and TT???? thoughts i am looking into full suspension.

Another thing is any suggestion for the best stability shoes for offroad? I am currently using Kayano 19 for my Marathons.

Any help and input is appreciated?

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-16 10:58 AM
2013-10-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jtiger Around here it's mostly single track trails. How do you pass someone in an XTerra on the bike? Keep in mind I'm not a very good MTB at all. So MTB noob checking in. I love trail running and this appeals to me but the bike portion has me uneasy.

Passing: be polite.

I stopped and moved over (off the path) to let people pass on single track, and gave them lots of space on more open sections. 

Totally not scary - not much to be uneasy about! People were very encouraging - and even the ones that announced their presence and intent to pass were nice about it.

2013-10-16 11:47 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt How do i size myself up for a MTB i am currently 5'8" and fitted on Size 54" roadie and TT???? thoughts i am looking into full suspension. Another thing is any suggestion for the best stability shoes for offroad? I am currently using Kayano 19 for my Marathons. Any help and input is appreciated?

Here's a decent article about MTB sizing: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/technique-perfect-mountain-bike-fit-29498. You're roughly a Medium, or 16"-18" frame. 

I bought mine used, and just rode it a little to see if it fit. I think mine's a little big, but it still works ok. 

If you like your Asics, I think the GT-2000 Trail is similar to the Kayanos. Or maybe Pearl Izumi isoSeek, or the Brooks Adrenaline ASR.

Best bet? Go ride some bikes and try on some shoes

2013-10-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sidney Porter What are the rules on passing and drafting? I would think that on single track you would need to get close enough that you would be in the draft zone in order to wait until you find a safe place to pass. Or are you suspose to yeild when being passed?

Be polite and annonuce your intent to pass. Move over for those passing you.

Drafting is legal in Xterra, though it's not really beneficial, and might annoy other riders...

2013-10-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

What are the rules on passing and drafting? I would think that on single track you would need to get close enough that you would be in the draft zone in order to wait until you find a safe place to pass. Or are you suspose to yeild when being passed?

LOL at drafting. Don't worry, there's no drafting rules in mountain biking. If you're close enough to gain any aerodynamic advantage, you're close enough to seriously put yourself in peril when the rider in front of you slows down/hits a rock/flips over their handlebars/etc. Don't tailgate on a mountain bike, it's not a wise idea!

Mountain bikers are generally waaaay more easy going than triathletes, and if someone knows you are behind them, they will find a place to scoot over enough for you to get by, even on single track. If not just yell "on your left" or whatever to give them the idea that you want to pass. I've never had anyone purposefully hold me back, but you do have to have enough skills to get around someone without ending up on the ground.

2013-10-16 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by strykergt

How do i size myself up for a MTB i am currently 5'8" and fitted on Size 54" roadie and TT???? thoughts i am looking into full suspension.

Another thing is any suggestion for the best stability shoes for offroad? I am currently using Kayano 19 for my Marathons.

Most likely you will fit a Med size frame. Do some research on the different bikes out there, basically hard tails and full suspension...but there's 29ers, 650B (new) and the 26ers. 29ers have been very popular, but with the new 650B (27-1/2")..these might start showing up now.

From my experience, the 29er is more difficult on tight turns, and ability to climb the steepest grades is not as good as a 26er. Generally I think 29er is better for XTERRA type races than 26. For overall MTBing 26er might be a better choice actually...so in comes the 650B as a compromise.

IMO, the 29er hard tail is a great bang for the buck for XTERRA racing. It isn't as expensive or maintenance intensive as a FS bike. However less comfort and control on the rocky/bumpy descents. FS requires maintenance of the frame shock which isn't cheap, and has pivot points that start creaking, and need to be greased or replaced. But FS has certainly much more comfort/control in rough sections.

Personally I usually take my FS 29er to races because it is easier to control at high speed descents, and rocky terrain.. but I give up some on hill climbs.

as to the question on Trail running and shoes...be careful on the support aspect. Ankle rollovers are probably the worst danger to trail running. Adding support can make it more susceptible to rollovers...in my experience...typically trail shoes are not stability shoes, but there are some with pronation support...such as Montrail Masochist II (which I like a lot). This shoe has a rock plate which protects your feet on rocky trails.

my best tip on trail running...always keep your eyes on the trail, visualize the foot plant before landing. try to always land mid/fore-foot.
2013-10-16 3:27 PM
in reply to: eggraid101

Originally posted by eggraid101

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

LOL at drafting. Don't worry, there's no drafting rules in mountain biking. If you're close enough to gain any aerodynamic advantage, you're close enough to seriously put yourself in peril when the rider in front of you slows down/hits a rock/flips over their handlebars/etc. Don't tailgate on a mountain bike, it's not a wise idea!

I wasn't thinking close enough to gain an areo advantage. I was more thinking the 3x12 m rule. I would think that you do end up closer than 12m, but since that rule doesn't exist it is a non issue.
2013-10-16 5:27 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I am getting alot here and taking them seriously in consideration
I am thankful for all the info.

Still need help with just a few:

1.) what is a good speed on the trail with average technicality in running? and riding?

2.) Looking into helmets which one is better to use traditional? or a full face?

3.) Regarding pedals do MTB also uses clip-ons or standard stock is fine.

4.) Lastly do MTB also require pro fitting?

Thanks Again for all the help.

2013-10-16 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

1.) what is a good speed on the trail with average technicality in running? and riding?

2.) Looking into helmets which one is better to use traditional? or a full face?

#1. as fast as you can! seriously though, it totally depends on the terrain. You will mostly find it slower, and don't expect to get similar times to your road distance races. Throw that out the window now!

#2. regular helmet is fine. full face aren't normally seen for XC style riding. I like MTB helmets with a sun visor built in, also helps with keeping rain off your face.

#3. clipless is the way to go for XTERRA. I use SPDs which is one kind that many use, but there are other popular ones such as "Egg beaters"

#4. pro fitting is going to help you get the best position, but I don't do it....that doesn't mean you shouldn't

2013-10-16 5:45 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt I am getting alot here and taking them seriously in consideration I am thankful for all the info. Still need help with just a few: 1.) what is a good speed on the trail with average technicality in running? and riding? 2.) Looking into helmets which one is better to use traditional? or a full face? 3.) Regarding pedals do MTB also uses clip-ons or standard stock is fine. 4.) Lastly do MTB also require pro fitting? Thanks Again for all the help.

1. My trail race pace is generally about 60-90 seconds per mile slower than my road race... but it really depends on the terrain. I can really open up on flatter sections and less technical portion.

2. Traditional helmet is fine. Normally don't see anyone in full face.

3. I use SPDs on my mountain bike. Be sure your shoes, pedals and cleats are intended for off-road use for lots of reasons (traction, dirt build-up, etc). You can use platform pedals, especially if you're more comfortable on them... They're great to start with, and then upgrade as you get comfortable. I do not at all recommend toe cages!! 

4. No pro fitting required. You CAN get one, but it's not really worth the $$ unless you get REALLY into MTBing. Here's a good reference for a DIY fit: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-training/how-to-fit-yourself-on-a-mountain-bike-like-a-pro/ Your body is more dynamic when riding a MTB, so it's not quite like spending 3 hours in aero on your tri bike. 

2013-10-16 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

1) Running? Take your average tri run time +1 min per mile will be about what to expect for the run. For the ride, it all depends on your mtb skills. My mtb avg is between 10-12 mph (road sprint bike speed is 20-21 mph). If you're thinking pacing, get up the hills, but don't superman is up.

2) Traditional helmet all the way, unless you're going to do some downhill stuff, which it doesn't sound like your in to. I still ride with my cheap bell from years ago.

3) I use SPD 520s for my mtb. I have the tension set pretty loose even though I'm pretty confident on my mtb. If you're just starting in mtb, I'd say start with some standard platform pedals and after you have some confidence, switch it up. Also, I'd recommend some mtb specific shoes as they are MUCH more comfortable to walk around in. I prefer mtb to road riding so I just use all of my mtb equipment on the cyclorcoss bike turned roadie use.

4) Nah. Do ride different sizes and brands, just like a road bike. Some popular trailheads have bike shops nearby that will actually let you rent a mtb for the day (at least, around here was have a few places like that). Look into that maybe.

5) You will fall. It may hurt. You will feel hardcore. I went flying over the handlebars in an Xterra once.

Sorry if someone else said the same thing as I did....I didn't read all of the responses. If you want, I have several Xterra race reports in my race log. They are all from the midwest though. Good luck!
2013-10-16 10:20 PM

User image

Master
I have the most fun training for and competing in our local Xterra. MTB and trail running are my favorite things about it. I feel pretty darn badass too when I can down a steep, rocky hill at some speed without crashing! We get together in big groups on weekends to ride our Xterra course. It's just an awesome time and workout.

I might draft on someone I am pretty sure will make it through the course without hesitating on tough parts of the course, but I've seen what can happen when you ride too close to someone who has issues. Not too pretty.

Alerting someone that you're passing will help you an d passee get through the pass safely. I was told not to endanger myself on a single track to allow the pass, but definitely get as far right as you can when you get the chance.

Here's a promo video of Xterra Guam:

http://vimeo.com/62934986#
2013-10-17 12:08 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks Alot Guys/Gals Ya'All are very helpful.

Thats the easy part

The hardest is getting a bike i already have 3 hanging. If i buy one more ill be needing a lawyer.

Have to trade one of my bikes hopefully my wife does not notice one suddenly became different
2013-10-17 6:07 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by metafizx

Most likely you will fit a Med size frame. Do some research on the different bikes out there, basically hard tails and full suspension...but there's 29ers, 650B (new) and the 26ers. 29ers have been very popular, but with the new 650B (27-1/2")..these might start showing up now.

From my experience, the 29er is more difficult on tight turns, and ability to climb the steepest grades is not as good as a 26er. Generally I think 29er is better for XTERRA type races than 26. For overall MTBing 26er might be a better choice actually...so in comes the 650B as a compromise.

IMO, the 29er hard tail is a great bang for the buck for XTERRA racing. It isn't as expensive or maintenance intensive as a FS bike. However less comfort and control on the rocky/bumpy descents. FS requires maintenance of the frame shock which isn't cheap, and has pivot points that start creaking, and need to be greased or replaced. But FS has certainly much more comfort/control in rough sections.

Personally I usually take my FS 29er to races because it is easier to control at high speed descents, and rocky terrain.. but I give up some on hill climbs.

as to the question on Trail running and shoes...be careful on the support aspect. Ankle rollovers are probably the worst danger to trail running. Adding support can make it more susceptible to rollovers...in my experience...typically trail shoes are not stability shoes, but there are some with pronation support...such as Montrail Masochist II (which I like a lot). This shoe has a rock plate which protects your feet on rocky trails.

my best tip on trail running...always keep your eyes on the trail, visualize the foot plant before landing. try to always land mid/fore-foot.

I was looking around the specs you mentioned and you are right if the routes are less technical a 29'er Hardtail is the way to go, More Technical/Less Hills 29'er FS, Hilly 26'er FS , The more versatile of them all is the 27.5 FS which is really expensive cant find anything lower than 2K its not even Carbon.

2013-10-17 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I was looking around the specs you mentioned and you are right if the routes are less technical a 29'er Hardtail is the way to go, More Technical/Less Hills 29'er FS, Hilly 26'er FS , The more versatile of them all is the 27.5 FS which is really expensive cant find anything lower than 2K its not even Carbon.

if budget is a problem...then you might settle for something bikesdirect has. my friend got a motobecane 29er hard tail from them and it's been awesome. he raced 2 XTERRAs already and is doing Worlds on it.

sorry no 650b's (yet) but chock full of 29ers and 26ers.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm
2013-10-19 7:51 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks for all the feedback and information guys/gals

We only have one Organizer for Xterra Tri in texas that i know off and the sched are laid off next year:

http://www.racerevolutions.com/events/xterra-off-road-triathlons

I think i am really leaning into a FS 27.5 medium example link:
http://bicycleworldofhouston.com/product/13scott-genius-740-180958-...

ill start training after my last triathlon at the end of this month.

Cheers

Thanks again
2013-10-19 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Cool. They all look like fun!

Which one were you thinking? Although it has the shortest bike section, Camp Eagle looks like it'd be a lot of fun. That's based purely on looking at the maps. The bike course doesn't look too tight and looks to be pretty flowy.

Another thought....that's a lot of bike. FWIW, the bike isn't as much a factor in XTERRA as is it in a standard road tri. The aero benefits are basically non-existent. I race XTERRA on a Specialized Rockhopper (Specialized says that this is just a recreational bike) and do just fine (usually top 30% bike split). If you've got the cash to spend, go for it. Did you try any hardtails? Like I said, I'm not trying to steer you away from the Scott, cause it has great specs and looks to be a solid bike, just saying. Good luck! I love getting new bikes!
2013-10-19 9:42 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Cool. They all look like fun!

Which one were you thinking? Although it has the shortest bike section, Camp Eagle looks like it'd be a lot of fun. That's based purely on looking at the maps. The bike course doesn't look too tight and looks to be pretty flowy.

Another thought....that's a lot of bike. FWIW, the bike isn't as much a factor in XTERRA as is it in a standard road tri. The aero benefits are basically non-existent. I race XTERRA on a Specialized Rockhopper (Specialized says that this is just a recreational bike) and do just fine (usually top 30% bike split). If you've got the cash to spend, go for it. Did you try any hardtails? Like I said, I'm not trying to steer you away from the Scott, cause it has great specs and looks to be a solid bike, just saying. Good luck! I love getting new bikes!

I guess specialized is the way to go Epic 27.5 won't be out till 2014
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Triathlon vs.TT Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 967 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker

Bikes - TT vs Tri

Started by dallairelj
Views: 944 Posts: 6

2007-07-12 11:13 AM hangloose

Crit vs. TT

Started by justalittletri
Views: 2684 Posts: 7

2006-06-17 11:31 PM briderdt

Pic of my tt/triathlon bike.......

Started by Yellow_Dawg
Views: 1712 Posts: 23

2006-03-22 3:58 PM Yellow_Dawg

Aero Brakes vs TT brakes?

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2006-01-13 3:10 PM luv2flyjrn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.