2 hour drive to race site
Event warmup:

putting on the wetsuit
Swim
  • 09m 45s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The horn sounds and I go sprinting into the ocean. I noticed I was still walking when usually I would be getting ready to start swimming. I was well into the ocean and the water still wasn't even up to my knees yet. When the water got to my waist I tried swimming but I was just grabbing handfuls of sand so I stood back up. Looking around everyone else was still walking. Finally about 15 meters from the first turn buoy I was able to start swimming, it looked like this was about the time everyone else started swimming too. Made the first turn without a hitch, I was swimming well. Sighting to the second buoy was great and I was staying on course and in the main pack. Made the second and last turn to go back to shore. It felt like a fight to get back in as opposed to just riding the waves. When the water was below my waist I started the process of getting my wetsuit off. Had it already around my waist when I hit the beach to run up to T1. Joel was cheering loudly for me, I heard him right away. Swim time include run up the beach to T1
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, good swim for me
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I didn't have much body glide left so I wasn't able to do my usual full body saturation before putting my wetsuit on. Because of this I really struggled to get that thing off, causing my T1 time to be a little long. Finally got it off, put on my cycling shoes and hot pink Rudy helmet, grabbed bike and left T1

Bought more body glide
Bike
  • 49m 4s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Just like the first 3 times I raced this course, I went into it knowing it was long. Its advertised as 16 miles, but myself and others have it closer to 17 miles. No matter, everyone is doing the same course. Its near the ocean in October so the howling winds were something to be expected. I pushed as hard as I could in those winds, I kept my speed between 20 and 21 MPH. I was the lead female, then suddenly a woman in a bright neon orange Rudy helmet with a "54" on her calf passes me, telling me she likes my helmet. I told her I liked her helmet too as she was passing me. I kept her in my sights, trying to keep up (at a legal distance of course). After the turn-around at mile 8.5 she really put the hammer down and I couldn't keep up, but was having fun trying. The wind was pretty bad coming in to T2, but I kept on pushing. I was happy with how the ride was going despite the wind. Came up to the mount line which was spectator lined and got some spectator love, and of course lots of loud cheers from Joel. I was feeling surprisingly fresh and ready to run

Nothing, decent bike for me
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I was feeling awesome. Racked bike, exchanged the Rudy helmet for my Team RWB running hat, and the cycling shoes for my Zoot Ovwa's (no socks of course). Grabbed my race number belt and put it on as I was running out of transition

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the race hits a turning point for me. I never thought one could go through so many phases and emotions in such a short run. I was feeling strong and ready for once, I wanted to kill this run. It was an out and back through the famous Fort Clinch State Park. I haven't ran "fast" for me since April, which is when I started dedicated ironman training. I missed the speed, and as good as I felt, I didn't expect to run sub 23 since I haven't run trained for speed in months.

Out to the turn-a-round point I was angry, and I ran as such. Smacking the ground with my feet I ran all the anger out. All the anger that had been festering inside me for the past couple of months came out, it couldn't hide inside anymore. My legs were burning but I couldn't slow down, it just felt so good, to let it all go. I saw the lead female coming back from the turn-a-round. She wasn't that far in front of me and I thought I could catch her. I sped up. I got a painful side stitch but I ignored it hoping it would go away. I hadn't ran this fast in months and my body was making me aware of that fact. An intense cramp in my side forced me to slow my pace a few seconds. Suddenly my emotions did a complete 180. All while running, it felt as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders. All the anger was gone. I hit mile 2 and had a relaxed, quick stride. I was in second place and was moving quick. This whole final mile I got so many smiles, cheers, and encouragement from my fellow competitors heading to the turn-a-round. I gave them smiles and cheers back. I was hurting from pushing my body so hard, but I was so happy. So happy to be alive, to have the ability to do a triathlon, to be there at the race, and to be among others who are so incredibly supportive. Exiting Fort Clinch heading to the finish line, all the volunteers I passed told me I was in second place. Even though I knew the next female was far behind me, this still made me kick it up a few notches for the final sprint to the finish. Made the turn to the final straightway and sprinted with everything I had through the finish line

Nothing, was my second fastest run ever in a sprint triathlon
Post race
Warm down:

waiting for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ironman recovery

Event comments:

DRC sports never disappoints!

Last updated: 2013-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:45 | 440 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/148
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:04 | 16 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:22 | 03 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-16 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon

Started by waynec
Views: 901 Posts: 4

2012-10-16 10:57 PM MichelleK

Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon

Started by parrj
Views: 1681 Posts: 1

2009-10-06 2:05 PM parrj

Started by ericmdartt
Views: 1006 Posts: 1

2009-10-05 6:34 PM ericmdartt

Started by ADollar79
Views: 2032 Posts: 6

2008-10-07 7:23 AM alltom1

Started by jmeeks1977
Views: 1169 Posts: 2

2008-10-06 4:12 PM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.