General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run commute to save time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-16 12:59 PM

Subject: Run commute to save time
I am thinking of beginning to run home from work a couple times a week to make better use of my commute time. It would be 8 miles. I would like to run at lunch but have no access to shower to clean up. I am thinking I would do that twice with another short run and longer run on weekend. Right now it takes an hour to get home via bus. I am running approx 25 mpw now and would like to do a HIM next summer. Any thoughts? Thanks

2013-10-16 1:06 PM
in reply to: kcjon

User image

Subject: RE: Run commute to save time
sounds awesome if you can make the logistics work.
2013-10-16 1:07 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I have done this leading up to my half marathon this month.

It works brilliantly. Only a bit of a faf having to carry some extra clothes too and from work.

My direct run home is 10k. And so I can run that or anything longer with detours. I find the idea of running point to point also helps as the mental side of reaching a destination is very good for me.
2013-10-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Seattle

I run commute! It's fantastic. It only takes me slightly longer to run in than it takes the bus.

It's a great way to multi task and it sounds like it would work well in your plan.

Was there anythingspecific you wanted to know? 

2013-10-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4878468

Thanks for the feed back. I think the logistics would work fine. Any downsides to be aware of?
2013-10-16 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by kcjon I am thinking of beginning to run home from work a couple times a week to make better use of my commute time. It would be 8 miles. I would like to run at lunch but have no access to shower to clean up. I am thinking I would do that twice with another short run and longer run on weekend. Right now it takes an hour to get home via bus. I am running approx 25 mpw now and would like to do a HIM next summer. Any thoughts? Thanks

If you can take transit in and then run home that would be perfect!  The only issue would be if you're leaving anything at work (shoes and such) that you need prior to walking into work the following day.  If that is the case then you're going to need a decent running pack to put them in.  I ran to work the other week and it was awesome, 8 miles in...unfortunately I had to run home at the end of the day too.  I was house/dog sitting though so a little closer than my normal 12.5 mile commute.  However, after reading this you've given me an option I never once considered which is bus in the morning and then run home.  Brilliant!

2013-10-16 1:19 PM

User image

The only downsides for me is how heavy the bag is that has my work clothes in!

If you can leave as much of your stuff at work as possible it helps - I guess you could leave it all there and just bring it home in a bag the next evening? Try and leave your shoes at least.

I run from the City (London) so the first mile is very busy which slows me down a lot and I've nearly had collisions several times (always my fault, people shouldn't have to expect to see someone running on the pavement on the way home from work to the station!)

Other than that, it's a great use of your time.
2013-10-16 1:20 PM

User image

This is a great idea.

Since you want to do this two days/week, it works well to bring your change of clothes in the day before, assuming you have a safe place to leave them at work. Then you don't need a running backpack. A small pouch to carry your wallet (simple version-- just money, ID, one credit card) and keys safely will generally work better than a pocket on your clothes, or you can use a version of a fuel belt/water bottle belt. Also remember to refuel well for your workday.

No downsides unless you forget something!
2013-10-16 1:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by kcjon Thanks for the feed back. I think the logistics would work fine. Any downsides to be aware of?

Be sure your pack fits you well so it's not altering your gait. 

Leave whatever you can @ work, to minimize what you have to transport.

2013-10-16 3:44 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

This is a great idea. I don't live far from work but I can make it work. And, since I carpool, it's a very feasible option. I've already mapped out a 4 mile route. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow. 

2013-10-16 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4878478

I've got a half marathon on sat so I'm out for this week, but I am going to start next week. I've considered biking it, but it's pretty short and on busy city streets.

2013-10-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

A couple things:

It can often take a lot longer than a normal run, with getting yourself ready, possibly running a more urban route with stoplights, and getting used to wearing more "stuff."    I've only run home from work once, but have run to places several times with a ride waiting for me.    I somehow always misjudge the time; it can go either way.

I am a big fan of the half-commute, which it seems you are planning, by just running home.  Then you don't need to carry anything with you other than money and maybe a phone.

I would also suggest having some options in mind in case you have trouble, like a bus schedule and appropriate cash.  You just never know...  

Do you run in the afternoon regularly?  If not, learn from my mistakes.  Don't neglect nutrition and hydration, which is easy to do in a busy work day.

2013-10-16 3:57 PM

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
I run-commute home from work about twice a week year-round, but it's only 3 miles. The day I'm going to run home I just bring my running clothes to the office with me in a backpack. Usually just bring an ID, credit card, and keys and then have my phone in its armband when I'm running, and everything else (including work clothes) goes into the backpack and stays in my office. Next day bring the backpack home, and repeat. My wife works near where I do, so occasionally I'll meet up with her before I run home and she'll carry my stuff home for me.
2013-10-16 7:27 PM
in reply to: morsebj

User image

Regular
I run commute to work for some long runs, often extend them. I live 10miles away. I plan a day early and leave my bike at work to get home. I also bring my lunches in as well and have access to showers so that's nice. Great way to start and end the day.
2013-10-16 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I did this occasionally when I lived overseas. It sounds a lot simpler with a bus option! If I remember correctly I would drive my scooter to work, run home, ride my bike to and from work the next day, then run to work and drive my scooter home the following day. I think it was 8-9 miles to work for me.
As someone mentioned above, fueling up during the workday is important if you're doing a long run after work. I also found that if I had to do a longer run (say 12-14 miles) it was hard to motivate myself to tack on the extra miles once I got near home. In retrospect I should have run a loop that looped around early on instead of later on.
But those are minor things. If the logistics work, it's a great way to make good use of your time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run commute to save time Rss Feed