Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-20 9:08 AM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Obesity

Originally posted by wwlani Nope...she wrote or you could watch what you put in your piehole. Shows true feelings not what govt warning shoild go on label. Its attitudes like that that will send an overweight person straight to the donuts. Tough love will not help when they dont alreasdy feel loved it just confirms their feeling

Thanks for posting this.

I hate it when we have these threads.  I don't think people understand how hurtful some of these comments are.

I think it is very difficult for people who have never struggled with obesity to understand the complexity of the problem.  There are a number of BTers who have changed their lives and have gone from being obese to being very fit.  They have my utmost respect. 

2013-10-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by wwlani
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by La Tortuga That's funny Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.
We could put Surgeon General's warning on boxes of donuts, "Warming, the Surgeon General has determined that eating donuts will make you fat." Or on the sides of bottle of Coke, "The surgeon general has determined there is absolutely zero nutritional value in this beverage. Consumption of this beverage will lead to diabetes, heart disease and death."

Or, people could take personal responsibility for what they put in their pie hole.

Your comment is seriously uncaring and obviously from someone who doesn't care to understand. Once you've been obese and change you understand that most overweight people don't eat JUST to eat - they are eating to avoid dealing with the pain in their lives. Heartless comments like yours send them straight for donuts not away from like you think it would. Until the underlying problem is addressed and dealt with and ignorant people stop making stupid comments the problem won't change - Really broke my heart that you wrote what you did - I thought more highly of you

Clearly this is personal for you so there's likely no point in justifying my comment.

I've also been overweight and lost weight so it's a ridiculous assumption that I don't understand. I still feel the same way.

For some people of COURSE it's complex and underlying issues need to be addressed for change to happen. But it all boils down, IMO, to lifestyle, -- and what you eat plays a massive role in that. Would you disagree?

Edited by lisac957 2013-10-20 10:13 AM
2013-10-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by La Tortuga That's funny Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.
We could put Surgeon General's warning on boxes of donuts, "Warming, the Surgeon General has determined that eating donuts will make you fat." Or on the sides of bottle of Coke, "The surgeon general has determined there is absolutely zero nutritional value in this beverage. Consumption of this beverage will lead to diabetes, heart disease and death."

Or, people could take personal responsibility for what they put in their pie hole.

Your comment is seriously uncaring and obviously from someone who doesn't care to understand. Once you've been obese and change you understand that most overweight people don't eat JUST to eat - they are eating to avoid dealing with the pain in their lives. Heartless comments like yours send them straight for donuts not away from like you think it would. Until the underlying problem is addressed and dealt with and ignorant people stop making stupid comments the problem won't change - Really broke my heart that you wrote what you did - I thought more highly of you

Clearly this is personal for you so there's likely no point in justifying my comment.

I've also been overweight and lost weight so it's a ridiculous assumption that I don't understand. I still feel the same way.

For some people of COURSE it's complex and underlying issues need to be addressed for change to happen. But it all boils down, IMO, to lifestyle, -- and what you eat plays a massive role in that. Would you disagree?

Don't know why I'm gonna jump in here, but...  What makes you think that someones comment has anything to do with tough love?  When I hear someone say something like that, it is clear to me that they don't care.  And I don't blame them.  Obese people affect my insurance rates.  They cost me money.  And, only they can change their health.  The fact is regardless of whether it is a mental health problem, personal responsibiltiy problem, or just feeding their piehole (i believe that is the quote), they can fix the problem.  It is no one else's responsibility, and I am not driving them to donuts, they are running to donuts on their own.  The comments don't make them fat, their eating makes them fat.  Only in a few fairly rare cases is there a true medical condition that causes their weight problems, and those persons are not to blame.

2013-10-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have a follow up question for Lani.

In Weight Watchers, do they teach that weight gain is someone else's fault, or do they teach personal responsibility, or a combination? This may give us some insight into your responses. And is what the thread is *really* about.

2013-10-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4878992

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Excellent question. We don't "teach" anything :-) we try to help them reach their own understanding.. Its more like OK you gained weight what was different this week...what could you have done instead? When they have their own ah ha moment its much more powerful then us telling them what they did wrong....members who get that are much more successful
2013-10-20 6:49 PM

User image

Pro

Eh......it's like anything in our lives that we don't like about ourselves.  Eventually you change it or it kills you.  Yeah, it's about personal responsibility, but it's also about caring for each other and helping when we can.  I say I don't care if someone is fat.....and I don't....unless you are my friend, then we're going to likely have some pretty serious conversations about how I'd rather live longer than you so you need to get your chit together.  It's the same with friends who can't control their drinking, or whatever the issue is......and I count on my friends to watch out for me the same way.

I don't think any of these issues are as simple as "watch what you put in your pie hole", or "just stop drinking"....and to say so does show a lack of understanding....it just does, the issues are very complex.  But, that being said, in the end it's up to each individual to save their own arse.

Nice work wwlani....that's a big win for you!  It's good to see you stand up!  In my own circle of friends we are dealing with a buddy who was once one of the best athletes we knew....a Div. 1 college baseball pitcher who had the world by the tail.  Two years ago the scale made 4 spins when he got on it.....and he's now down to 270.....but it's been really hard for him, and included his coming to grips with a horrendous childhood, something none of us ever knew about.  Still, we can help, and I'm all in....but if he quits caring, so will I. 

2013-10-20 11:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

Eh......it's like anything in our lives that we don't like about ourselves.  Eventually you change it or it kills you.  Yeah, it's about personal responsibility, but it's also about caring for each other and helping when we can.  I say I don't care if someone is fat.....and I don't....unless you are my friend, then we're going to likely have some pretty serious conversations about how I'd rather live longer than you so you need to get your chit together.  It's the same with friends who can't control their drinking, or whatever the issue is......and I count on my friends to watch out for me the same way.

I don't think any of these issues are as simple as "watch what you put in your pie hole", or "just stop drinking"....and to say so does show a lack of understanding....it just does, the issues are very complex.  But, that being said, in the end it's up to each individual to save their own arse.

Nice work wwlani....that's a big win for you!  It's good to see you stand up!  In my own circle of friends we are dealing with a buddy who was once one of the best athletes we knew....a Div. 1 college baseball pitcher who had the world by the tail.  Two years ago the scale made 4 spins when he got on it.....and he's now down to 270.....but it's been really hard for him, and included his coming to grips with a horrendous childhood, something none of us ever knew about.  Still, we can help, and I'm all in....but if he quits caring, so will I. 

Winner.

People always see things as either or... it's all the above. No kidding it's about what you put in your pie hole, but it is most certainly about why as well, and learning how not to do it. There are those that indeed pull themselves up by their boot straps... there are those that need help... and there are those that see no point because they are not worth it anyway.... oh, and sure, maybe a couple that just don't care. One size solutions do not fit all.... and it's been that way forever, on just about everything.

Is there one single solution to make all people world class triathletes?

2013-10-21 4:39 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Yup - I lost 73 1/2 pounds - comments like the one made were made to me by my father "thinking" if he was "up front" with me it would help me "see the problem" seriously? You think I'm lugging around 75 pounds of extra weight and I hadn't noticed????? I needed to address the reasons WHY I ate (other than food tastes good) I needed to address the "issue" that I despite the fact I was happily married and had 1 healthy kid my husband didn't want anymore (we had talked about 2+ when we got married) he LOVES our son and is an AWESOME dad but found parenthood much more challenging than he imagined so he worked long hours to support us (but I knew it was to come home after our son went to bed). I wasn't happy - I was tired, I felt alone - so I ate - it didn't fix anything but it did make me feel good in the moment - it wasn't until I went to talk to someone professionally and "owned" my feelings that I was able to do anything about it. Take care of ME. I work for Weight Watchers and have since I lost the weight. You want to hear reasons why people eat? Come sit behind the desk with me for just 1 day and you will quickly realize that while some (very few) just eat because it tastes good there are some really deep unresolved issues (I have to work 3 jobs and take care of my sick mother - my husband has a brain tumor and is dying in front of me) crying doesn't fix that - can't change the situation so they eat. Just like some kids need tough love and others need a compassionate person overweight people are the same. And no I don't think we should classify it as a medical disease - it is very much a mental health issue. And yes - this is MY soapbox - sorry but it's a very personal issue

I too say thanks for sharing that.  I agree with you that it should not be classified as a disease and your story is exactly the reason why. 

It should be treated more like an addiction, or like you said, a mental health issue.  It's more about what is going on in someone's head that makes them continue to do bad behavior.  If they can just figure how to replace the bad behaviors with good ones the physical health issues related to being overweight take care of themselves for the most part.

Sort of in line with what LB was saying, you can encourage someone to take personal responsibility for what or how much they're eating without being uncaring and insensitive.  It's not about letting them shirk the personal responsibility; it's about looking beyond simply "just stop eating so much" and seeing that it runs deeper than that.  That doesn't mean the solution still won't include getting them to stop eating so much.

2013-10-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by Rogillio Patient: The problem is that obesity runs in our family. Doctor: No, the problem is that no one runs in your family.

Remember when this thread started with a joke?

No? neither do I.

2013-10-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I complete agree with the past 3 or 4 comments saying it's much more (or CAN be for a lot of people) than what you eat. Show me where I said otherwise.

My first comment in this thread (which most of you are reacting to), seems to have morphed into accusing me of making an end-all be-all statement (among other choice descriptors and veiled insults), which is nothing more than twisting my words and others putting their own projections into it. Well done COJ.

2013-10-21 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I complete agree with the past 3 or 4 comments saying it's much more (or CAN be for a lot of people) than what you eat. Show me where I said otherwise.

My first comment in this thread (which most of you are reacting to), seems to have morphed into accusing me of making an end-all be-all statement (among other choice descriptors and veiled insults), which is nothing more than twisting my words and others putting their own projections into it. Well done COJ.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, personal responsibility sucks when it's applied to the words you write, huh?

2013-10-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by switch

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, personal responsibility sucks when it's applied to the words you write, huh?

Nope, it doesn't suck at all. At least not for me.

2013-10-21 10:01 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cool, I guess I missed the part where you took personal responsibility for what you wrote and how it's interpreted. 

Nobody twisted your words.  Nobody projected anything. 

Well done, indeed.

2013-10-21 10:29 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Of course there are extenuating circumstances contributing to obesity in a subsection of the population, but laregly it's as a result of factors under everyone's control.

All other factors being held equal, what else can account for the increase in rates of obesity globally in the past 20, 50, 100 years?
Additionally, what can account for the disparity between obesity rates in the US versus other developed nations (more than double that of Sweden, Austria, France, Italy, etc...)? Are these countries somehow immune to the life struggles impacting the American population?
It's all down to increasingly sedentary lifestyles, in conjunction with processed, convenient, low-nutrition food sources.

Yes, while there are always going to be people whose weight gain/obesity will be the result of other factors, overwhelmingly obesity is a result of factors we can all control, and ultimately they are the responsibility of the person doing the chewing.

2013-10-21 10:57 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Of course there are extenuating circumstances contributing to obesity in a subsection of the population, but laregly it's as a result of factors under everyone's control.

All other factors being held equal, what else can account for the increase in rates of obesity globally in the past 20, 50, 100 years?
Additionally, what can account for the disparity between obesity rates in the US versus other developed nations (more than double that of Sweden, Austria, France, Italy, etc...)? Are these countries somehow immune to the life struggles impacting the American population?
It's all down to increasingly sedentary lifestyles, in conjunction with processed, convenient, low-nutrition food sources.

Yes, while there are always going to be people whose weight gain/obesity will be the result of other factors, overwhelmingly obesity is a result of factors we can all control, and ultimately they are the responsibility of the person doing the chewing.

Is this a joke?

2013-10-21 11:11 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cool, I guess I missed the part where you took personal responsibility for what you wrote and how it's interpreted. 

Nobody twisted your words.  Nobody projected anything. 

Well done, indeed.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've "taken responsibility" for what I wrote more than once in this thread, and even expounded on my thoughts and shared my personal experience with weight gain and loss. I feel trying to have a civil conversation is a lost cause at this point, so I will gracefully bow out.

2013-10-21 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA

well said...

2013-10-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by flip18436572

I think your hospital administrators should be worried about the health of the patient, but they also have to be aware of how the money will continue to come in to pay for everything that is needed.  We have a local doctor who says what he thinks and there are some patients that dislike that, but at least he isn't being told he can't tell them not to smoke, and to eat healthier and exercise.  He actually doesn't take any new patients as he is over-booked as it is.  They may not like what he says, but they keep going back to him because he is very good.

I have also heard of very obese people being told they are fine and have a great heart of someone much younger.  I have never hear the doctor say that, just what they have said the doctor said.  I can't believe a doctor would tell anyone that they have a heart of someone much younger that they actually are.  They could say the blood work up is all in the OK range and there seems to be no issues at this time, but to tell them they have a younger heart.  Really???

I totally agree but the problem is if Pt satisfaction scores are not good the hospital might not get paid. For medicare if the doc doens't get PERFECT score you get dinged.
2013-10-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by powerman

Is this a joke?

No.

2013-10-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm going to risk sounding like a jerk, but here goes:

I was heavier at one point too (not obese/morbidly obese/ etc.).  Just heavy (190ish) for a guy at my height (5'7).  

In my personal case it was laziness and eating too much Little Ceasars (which is still an occasional guilty pleasure of mine).  It took a lot of work and watching what I ate to get me back into the groove of not being lazy and eating too much.

I don't want to take away from the stories of people who deal with depression or some other underlying issue that's shrouded by obesity, but sometimes (dare I say a lot of the time), it really is people needing to decide to go the path of greater resistance.  

2013-10-21 11:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by msteiner

I was heavier at one point too (not obese/morbidly obese/ etc.).  Just heavy (190ish) for a guy at my height (5'7).  

In my personal case it was laziness and eating too much Little Ceasars (which is still an occasional guilty pleasure of mine).  It took a lot of work and watching what I ate to get me back into the groove of not being lazy and eating too much.

I don't want to take away from the stories of people who deal with depression or some other underlying issue that's shrouded by obesity, but sometimes (dare I say a lot of the time), it really is people needing to decide to go the path of greater resistance.  

Ewww... seriously? Little Ceasars? I would take a Totinos over them.

Edited by powerman 2013-10-21 11:51 AM

2013-10-21 11:51 AM

User image

Elite

Is this a joke?

No.

Well mine was.

Everyone is so serious on Monday!

Lighten up everyone

2013-10-21 11:58 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Really? Them be fighting words. I not had Little Ceasars in a long time though for the reasons stated by msteiner.
2013-10-21 12:10 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

You don't sound at all like a jerk.  You make a great point.  For some people, being overweight or obese is as simple as breaking terrible habits and forming good ones, and that's just hard for any human.

For others, it goes much deeper, they're eating to numb out and need intervention beyond just giving themselves a swift kick in the rear to get on track.

It's definitely not a one size fits all solution.

2013-10-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Elite

Originally posted by chirunner134

Really? Them be fighting words. I not had Little Ceasars in a long time though for the reasons stated by msteiner.

My whole life I have rated crackers and tomato sauce higher. Can't stand em'. They were on every base. Lots of good cheap pizza out there without having to resort to that... and that is coming from somebody that would almost loose a finger over giving up a piece of pizza.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Obesity Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Why does America have an obesity problem? Pages: 1 2

Started by Bigfuzzydoug
Views: 3495 Posts: 49

2010-07-19 10:33 AM Pector55

Obesity shows comming our way Pages: 1 2

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 2463 Posts: 33

2010-07-02 10:44 AM trinnas

Obesity = 'Severe Brain Degeneration'

Started by KSH
Views: 989 Posts: 14

2009-08-26 12:34 PM mrbbrad

Childhood obesity causes: A poll Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bradword
Views: 2820 Posts: 61

2009-08-23 8:18 PM ChineseDemocracy

Is Obesity a Disease? Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 2015 Posts: 33

2006-10-14 5:36 PM dredwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 26, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If we don’t stop the obesity epidemic, an estimated 42% of all Americans will be obese in 18 years. One-third will be diabetic. Our kids will die at a younger age than their parents.

date : October 8, 2009
comments : 3
I knew I needed to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. Encouraged by other weight-loss surgery runners, triathletes and even Ironmen, I set goals to become an active triathlete.