General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder problems and Aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-18 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: Shoulder problems and Aerobars
Has anyone had serious shoulder problems due to aerobars? I'm sure there's a fit issue as I fit myself with clip-on aerobars. I am fairly sure I put them too narrow. I positioned them about as narrow (approx 3 -4 inches apart) as I see them on tri bikes in the stores. But, I've got broad shoulders and it has caught up to me as my Tri a month ago was very windy so everyone was riding aero. I nearly rode aero the whole way which I never do. But, a day or two later my shoulders were killing me. The right shoulder is OK now, but the left is still hurting - pretty badly. I think I have a torn rotator cuff. I'm finding it difficult to move in several different directions, plus it doesn't feel 100% stable.

Anyone have experience with this?

I'd say my forearms were almost as close together as this guys:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/vandevelde-gets-set-for-20...

I took off the aerobars for last weekend's tri and did OK just with my regular drop bars. But, assuming I can either heal or otherwise get treated and be back to 100% for next season I need to weigh out my bike/aerobar options.

Edited by Maniton 2013-10-18 7:18 PM

2013-10-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Shoulder problems and Aerobars
Please don't take this advice the wrong way, but stop looking at pro's for how to set up your bike. Vandevelde's set up probably isn't going to work for you. You think you tore your rotator cuff on the ride or it was torn before and now hurts? Having dealt with my fiancee's torn rotator cuff I'd say it's pretty unlikely that just riding in aero tore it, there's no way she could have completed a tri with it torn; however if you think it's that bad you should probably go see a Dr. I'm a big guy (230) and it took me awhile to get used to riding on aerobars, even after a fit. If you decide to set up your aerobars again I'd just work on comfort. After than work on getting a more aggressive set up.
2013-10-28 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4880226

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Shoulder problems and Aerobars
The picture was only to demonstrate how close my forearms were. I have no idea who the guy is and didn't use him as a model. I'm not set up that aggressively in terms of lean, but I'll definitely need to spread the bars out some - next spring. I've started rehabbing my shoulder and it's going ok. I'm still really sore and experiencing pain and still not convinced I don't have some level of tear, but I think I'm on the road to recovery. If I stop seeing improvement I'll get in to a doctor.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder problems and Aerobars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shoulder surgery and 2014 Tri plans

Started by freedoggers
Views: 1859 Posts: 10

2013-08-20 7:33 PM freedoggers

Broad Shoulders and Aero Bars

Started by Magnum Athletos
Views: 6102 Posts: 20

2013-07-22 10:31 AM Speedy the Turtle

Running problems?

Started by neumann_jc
Views: 2638 Posts: 15

2012-04-12 10:10 AM chenny

Walking leading to knee problems

Started by Twink
Views: 1397 Posts: 8

2012-01-05 6:12 PM Twink

Aerobar discomfort(arms/shoulders)

Started by bigr82
Views: 8962 Posts: 15

2011-06-04 9:50 PM jmot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : July 17, 2005
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : April 17, 2005
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend: