General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Mr Cup Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.

This is my weird experience too. Throw in the fact that the only treadmill that was open sat in front of giant windows and faced perpendicular to the direction of travel and it was a very odd experience.

Mine was on a cruise too, only I tried to run on the little track that circled the top deck of the ship, which a person really shouldn't do when there's swells going on.  

Yep, I fell off the track.  

I've got a GPS track of doing that (running the track, not falling off...)  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67126954

I tried to go on the "track" but way too many people just wandering around even though it was pretty early. That's when I caved and went on the treadmill. Did a another later in the trip by doing laps around a lower outdoor deck that fully circled the ship. Had some stairs on each end but was better than the treadmill. Got to watch the sunrise over Bermuda.

2013-10-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
May not be ultra weird but....

• ..I decided to add in a run home from work session recently but did not realy know the route home through downtown. I follwed a trail that on the map looks like any other trail in my town following old train tracks or the old canal route.

• However these miles took me under a few bridge arches and essentially into my towns cardboard city.

I went fast.
    2013-10-21 11:54 AM
    in reply to: austhokie

User image

Elite
    Cleveland

Originally posted by austhokie
    Originally posted by Mr Cup Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.
    I miss those days...lol My best was a half-marathon in the well-deck of a smaller amphib - 76 laps around - it was "fun"...

Which ship?

Mine is the same, but laps on main deck of an LST, although sometimes in the well deck, too.

These days, it is loops around the road in the cemetery across the street from my office.

2013-10-21 12:20 PM
    in reply to: axteraa

User image

Austin

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by mrbbrad

This is my weird experience too. Throw in the fact that the only treadmill that was open sat in front of giant windows and faced perpendicular to the direction of travel and it was a very odd experience.

Mine was on a cruise too, only I tried to run on the little track that circled the top deck of the ship, which a person really shouldn't do when there's swells going on.  

Yep, I fell off the track.  

I've got a GPS track of doing that (running the track, not falling off...)  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67126954

Yeah I got one of those too!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304620718

2013-10-21 2:59 PM
    in reply to: cgregg

User image

Originally posted by cgregg

I miss those days...lol My best was a half-marathon in the well-deck of a smaller amphib - 76 laps around - it was "fun"...

Which ship?

Mine is the same, but laps on main deck of an LST, although sometimes in the well deck, too.

These days, it is loops around the road in the cemetery across the street from my office.

LSD41 - USS Whidbey Island - off the Coast of Somalia in 2007-08 - we have a CO who liked doing that kind of stuff (although a in other areas) - so we did 5K's, 10k's etc during deployment

we also did swim call in those waters (some of the most shark infested in the world)...they were cannex'd the next day when we saw a 15ft shark in the area we had been swimming the day before
    2013-10-21 3:40 PM

User image

Elite
    Gilbert, Az.
    Doing cross country at Western State (7700 feet up in the Rocky Mountains), we did toboggan repeats. Run up the hill towing a sled, slide down. Lather rinse repeat ad infinitum. We thought it was grand fun, figured out later we had run close to 5 miles of repeats.

Coach was "wickhed smaht".

John

2013-10-21 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
    Cleveland

Which ship?

LSD41 - USS Whidbey Island - off the Coast of Somalia in 2007-08 - we have a CO who liked doing that kind of stuff (although a in other areas) - so we did 5K's, 10k's etc during deployment we also did swim call in those waters (some of the most shark infested in the world)...they were cannex'd the next day when we saw a 15ft shark in the area we had been swimming the day before

I was there (Somalia - Mogad and Kismayo) in '93.   I'm surprised you were allowed to swim there at all, it was strictly verboten when we were there.

The fishing was excellent.... hand made hooks made from mop bucket handles (cold chisel to create the barbed end) spliced to a wire rope leader spliced to 3" line.  A chicken from the mess decks on the hook and a couple turns around the capstan to secure the line.  Hook 'em, and drag 'em up the side of the boat with the capstan.  We never caught anything bigger than a 6 footer on our ship (USS Barnstable County), but the Nashville pulled up a 13-footer that way.  We did a lot of catching smaller ones and then using them as bait for other ones.

Side note, I'm surprised that Whidbey Island is still around. 

2013-10-21 7:39 PM
    in reply to: cgregg

User image

Which ship?

LSD41 - USS Whidbey Island - off the Coast of Somalia in 2007-08 - we have a CO who liked doing that kind of stuff (although a in other areas) - so we did 5K's, 10k's etc during deployment we also did swim call in those waters (some of the most shark infested in the world)...they were cannex'd the next day when we saw a 15ft shark in the area we had been swimming the day before

I was there (Somalia - Mogad and Kismayo) in '93.   I'm surprised you were allowed to swim there at all, it was strictly verboten when we were there.

The fishing was excellent.... hand made hooks made from mop bucket handles (cold chisel to create the barbed end) spliced to a wire rope leader spliced to 3" line.  A chicken from the mess decks on the hook and a couple turns around the capstan to secure the line.  Hook 'em, and drag 'em up the side of the boat with the capstan.  We never caught anything bigger than a 6 footer on our ship (USS Barnstable County), but the Nashville pulled up a 13-footer that way.  We did a lot of catching smaller ones and then using them as bait for other ones.

Side note, I'm surprised that Whidbey Island is still around. 

Yep, Whidbey went through her mid-life overhaul a few years ago - they are hoping to get another 5-10 years out of her (who knows if that will happen though).

i'm sure swimming was verboten, but my CO was good and thumbing his nose at stuff...haha...
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Weirdest Running Injury Ever

Started by marmadaddy
    Views: 2106 Posts: 17

2012-08-07 1:04 PM mxr746

Have you ever gotten a penalty? Pages: 1 2

Started by JG_GreenCoast
    Views: 2159 Posts: 28

2012-04-03 2:52 PM mmrocker13

OMG, my body's reacting in weird ways! Pages: 1 2

Started by JBrashear
    Views: 2327 Posts: 36

2009-09-24 12:52 AM skarl

Have you ever gotten motion sickness when swimming?

Started by run joe run
    Views: 6438 Posts: 17

2008-10-24 2:14 AM RDub in Kona

Did my first ever 10-mile Run today!

Started by agilis
    Views: 1093 Posts: 19

2008-06-30 8:50 AM mrbbrad
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 21, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 0
    Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
    Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
    date : August 19, 2011
    comments : 1
    Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
    author : Troy Jacobson
    What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
    date : September 10, 2009
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 6
    Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 15, 2008
    author : lcthomas74
    Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
    date : July 8, 2008
    author : amyro1234
    Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : April 2, 2006
    author : a.maria
    I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.