General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart rate training - something seriously wrong Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-19 5:44 AM

, Alabama
Subject: heart rate training - something seriously wrong
I had an ECG on Thursday my heart rate was 48 bpm. Doctor said not worried as I am fit it is what she would expect. Okay - dont really think I am that fit but whatever. However when I run my heart rate jumps dramatically - today for example I ran 8km in around an hour - average heart rate 189bpm maximum heart rate 199bpm. That is me running at 8kph about a 12 and a bit minute mile - ie slow trying to keep my heart rate down. I have previously posted about a high heart rate when running and was advised to slow down. I am running as slowly as I can any slower and I would be walking. I am 53, female, weight 144lbs and my blood pressure is usually low, it was taken on Thursday and was 122/60 which is actually a good bit higher than usual for me - normally around 90/60. My doctor isnt worried but I must admit I kinda am! If it is relevant I have been running for a bit over a year on a regular basis.

2013-10-19 5:51 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: heart rate training - something seriously wrong

There can be significant differences in "normal" HR between different individuals.  If you're doctor isn't concerned, then you probably don't need to be either, but if it continues to concern you go to another doctor for a second opinion.

2013-10-19 7:15 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Have you had a stress test? Probably nothing to be concerned about but 189 is pretty high for a 53 YO. (I am 54 and I know (because I have done the actual test) that my max is ~172.) There is significant differences between individuals so probably not significant. I had a stress test before I started ramping up my training and it really gave me some peace of mind.
2013-10-19 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by NMS I had an ECG on Thursday my heart rate was 48 bpm. Doctor said not worried as I am fit it is what she would expect. Okay - dont really think I am that fit but whatever. However when I run my heart rate jumps dramatically - today for example I ran 8km in around an hour - average heart rate 189bpm maximum heart rate 199bpm. That is me running at 8kph about a 12 and a bit minute mile - ie slow trying to keep my heart rate down. I have previously posted about a high heart rate when running and was advised to slow down. I am running as slowly as I can any slower and I would be walking. I am 53, female, weight 144lbs and my blood pressure is usually low, it was taken on Thursday and was 122/60 which is actually a good bit higher than usual for me - normally around 90/60. My doctor isnt worried but I must admit I kinda am! If it is relevant I have been running for a bit over a year on a regular basis.
Everyone's different when it comes to HR.  That's why it is often recommended to the the field LT test and use the BT HR zone calculator to determine your zones. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633.

A friend of mine has a very high running HR.  I forget his LT but IIRC it was in the mid 190's which is ~ 20 bpm higher than mine.

My wife also has a very low BP like you, doc isn't worried as she's a runner but she was recently diagnosed with a hypothroid condition after her latest physical.

2013-10-19 11:20 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I guess one question is does it feel uncomfortable with our heart beating that fast or is it normal. As folks have said there is a large range in normal and max HR. I am fairly typical with resting HR 40-45 and LT 175. But I know folks who run a 10 or 11 mpm pace with hr up in the low 190s. But ya if you are concerned, you can get a specilast to have a look.
2013-10-19 11:20 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I guess one question is does it feel uncomfortable with our heart beating that fast or is it normal. As folks have said there is a large range in normal and max HR. I am fairly typical with resting HR 40-45 and LT 175. But I know folks who run a 10 or 11 mpm pace with hr up in the low 190s. But ya if you are concerned, you can get a specilast to have a look.

2013-10-20 6:21 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

, Alabama
Thanks for the replies. I thnk I will look into a stress test that should as said give me peace of mind. I do find running difficult and can't help but wonder if this is why.
2013-10-20 8:39 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Just curious, have you verified your HR monitor readings by taking your pulse manually when it says your HR is 190? I'm assuming you have, but I thought it was worth bringing up. My Polar HR monitor consistently reads my HR as over 170 unless I start sweating a lot (due to the static electricity of my shirt). I fixed this by applying some electrode gel to the metal contacts on the chest strap. Then it reads correctly, 115-135 vs the incorrect 170+ reading.
2013-10-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by johnmoran

Just curious, have you verified your HR monitor readings by taking your pulse manually when it says your HR is 190? I'm assuming you have, but I thought it was worth bringing up. My Polar HR monitor consistently reads my HR as over 170 unless I start sweating a lot (due to the static electricity of my shirt). I fixed this by applying some electrode gel to the metal contacts on the chest strap. Then it reads correctly, 115-135 vs the incorrect 170+ reading.

This. First corroborate what the mechanicals are telling you with old fashioned finger on the wrist. Second, while HR may spike that high during intensity, if you are getting that while running slow, then something is not quite right somewhere.

Corroborate manually, then if needed get a stress test, and possibly a holter (24 hour recording) monitor.

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart rate training - something seriously wrong Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A Watt is a Watt - Power Training vs Heart Rate Training

Started by RobertFontaine
Views: 4331 Posts: 22

2013-03-14 10:33 PM golfer17

Heart rate question - am i doing it wrong?

Started by salma
Views: 1025 Posts: 7

2006-01-31 4:50 PM Global

High heart rate and breathing rate after bike

Started by derekh25
Views: 1154 Posts: 3

2004-08-19 9:32 AM triman50

Heart Rate and training

Started by mvromine
Views: 1277 Posts: 16

2004-07-26 12:17 AM tech_geezer

heart rate training

Started by seansdad
Views: 856 Posts: 2

2004-04-26 8:00 AM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : July 17, 2005
comments : 0
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.