Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Has anyone read "I am Malala"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-19 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Has anyone read "I am Malala"?
I tried to buy a copy today and the only bookstore in town is sold out. I'll be ordering.

Has anyone read this?

2013-10-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Has anyone read "I am Malala"?
Not yet but i will be soon. I was disappointed in the Nobel committee's decision to award a different recipient with the peace prize. But really, considering that Yassar Arafat shares a oeace prize, it's not exactly all it's cracked up to be.

I hope to get my Girls on the Run team to do their service project this season to benefit the Malala Fund. The only real change in the world comes through courage like hers.

2013-10-21 5:50 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Elite
Connecticut

I haven't read it but plan to.  My daughter did a report on her a few weeks ago and she was so inspired by her.  We both want to read the book.  Malala is one inspiring girl.

2013-10-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: ebshot

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ebshot

I haven't read it but plan to.  My daughter did a report on her a few weeks ago and she was so inspired by her.  We both want to read the book.  Malala is one inspiring girl.

My daughter is doing one on her now!  We're going to read, as well.

Odd thing (to me):  several of her classmates warned her that it was "inappropriate" material for school (6th grade).  The Better Half and I strongly disagreed and told her to crack on with it with our full support, as long as the report is about the whole story, not JUST the shooting.  We'll see if the teacher says anything...

I can't imagine a much MORE appropriate story for 6th grade girls to write about in Social Studies, but I clearly am at odds with... ummmm... just about everybody else in my town.   

Matt

2013-10-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Odd thing (to me):  several of her classmates warned her that it was "inappropriate" material for school (6th grade).  The Better Half and I strongly disagreed and told her to crack on with it with our full support, as long as the report is about the whole story, not JUST the shooting.  We'll see if the teacher says anything...

I can't imagine a much MORE appropriate story for 6th grade girls to write about in Social Studies, but I clearly am at odds with... ummmm... just about everybody else in my town.   

Matt

I am always amazed at how the same parents who let their kids watch the VMAs, or play every video game, or have no trouble with them following reality tv, will often be the ones who want to "shield them" from this stuff. Of course. I have no evidence that these parents are like that, but. I wouldn't be surprised.

i keep coming back to this: if they can know who Miley is, they SHOULD know who people are like this.

2013-10-23 9:02 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

What the heck? I can't imagine why that would be inappropriate for a 6th grader...

I'm reading it right now and I think it's very well written and fascinating as well. I didn't know much about the history and culture of Pakistan, and reading about it in her book, through her eyes and her family history, is a great way to learn about it. Not halfway through, but two thumbs up for sure!

2013-10-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
Connecticut

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Have your daughter's classmates read her story?  I am not sure what is inappropriate about it.  My daughter is in 7th grade and her teacher encouraged her to write about Malala.  It was a current event project and I am proud that Alex chose to do it on Malala.  She is an amazing young woman who Alex can look up to and admire.  It is disheartening to hear that your town seems to think otherwise. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Has anyone read "I am Malala"? Rss Feed