General Discussion Race Reports! » Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Playa del Rey, California
United States
VBC Multisport LLC.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 02m 6s
Overall Rank = 70/122
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

packed up van early in the afternoon , went to bed early , drank lots o water the days before , showered , set up 3 alarms for 4:15 4:30 4:45 so i would not miss it went to bathroom at the house (i usually need three trip on a race morning) arrived with 75 mins to spare packet pick up and timing chip was easy and fast , set up bike and shoes in transition and hit the port a potties there were 8 and a long line (20mins) this ate into my prep time watched the sun get up in Line
i jogged back to transition and quickly wrapped my set up and put on my wetsuit .I missed zeroing out my bike computer so i could data from the race . I decided to go sockless on the bike with elastic bands to hold up the shoes , and left socks on top of my running shoes as my feet were pretty raw the last time i ran barefoot in them.
Event warmup:

quick warm up in the water , water was still pretty warm still in late october
swam maybe 5 mins on and off there was a good deal of fog which made it harder to spot the buoys once in the water , wave 1 left which was cue to come in and get ready for wave 2 Pink Caps ME . Not a mans colour but i must say it was very easy to spot the swimmers in the water
Swim
  • 38m 1s
  • 1200 meters
  • 03m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Relaxed in the warm up and started on the left and back , there were only a few in our wave , maybe 50 people it was ALL International women relays and Clydesdales , really focused on relaxed pulls and not pushing down in the water , and breathing out , chop was minimal so i was comfortable , sighting after the turns was a game of faith as i knew the buoy should be lined up but i could not see it , decided to do 5 strokes between every look . Started to get ahead of myself on the swim so stayed focus but not thinking about the bike leg until i was in the last straightaway . Looking at my time and the fastest swimmer was 23+ mins i got to think our course was longer than 1200m the side current did not seem the slower than expected time . I would have expected my time to be under 30mins for that distance and good conditions

Loved going in wave 2 , you get ready , quick warm up , line up and go ! Much better than waiting around for 60-90 mins for your wave to start like in the big races ,
What would you do differently?:

Swim more since my last triathlon
I have really dropped off since getting ready for running events over the winter
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

uphill start on the bike so a little tricky to get some initial motion going since i am jumping barefoot on top of bike shoes and there are 2 quick turns with narrow (half a car lane) coned off section

Set up my transition nearer the bike exit since this was a free for all . So i would save myself one barefoot trek across transition , with Transition set up at the bike exit and re-entry
Bike
  • 1h 14m 42s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

went hard as i could and passed a bunch of people , only got passed by a few on TT bikes , was really hurting on the climb out of the park on imperial but settled down and took a gel and started drinking my water and Heed every 10 mins or so

Pre-ride the course it was easier on the second loop to figure out where to drink and take a gel because of tail wind or downhill section
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

ran barefoot from dismount line
put on socks then elasticated running shoes grabbed number and water bottle and walked out onto run course

at this race ,, set up transition near bike entry
Run
  • 66m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

it was overcast from the morning fog which kept my heating up to a very minimum
I carried a water bottle but did not use use on my head until after the turnaround i was pretty tired at this point but it was flat so found a pace that was sustainable and clicked off the miles

keep Loosing weight would help the most
Post race
Warm down:

walked and grabbed a few bagels , most of the post race food was gone , sucks to do longer distance with a dual race .

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could feel a little fatigue during the bike , maybe need to taper better , the run i did thursday night was too long /hard /hilly 60 hrs before race time . Better to do 30 easy ride with last 10 mins at race pace and then run 1 mile MAx

Event comments:

Nice race , good to do this distance on a closed bike course in LA , great value
No hassle race . Cool fall temperature (overcast every year i have done this) so you wont cook on the run leg , Nice way to finish the season .

Last updated: 2013-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:01 | 1200 meters | 03m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 64/122
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra full
Course: arrow shaped out 120 meters west 90 left turn at first buoy heading south . 320 right turn back to second middle buoy which furthest out from shore heading north 45 degree bank then headed to northern most buoy 320 turn back to first buoy 90 degree turn east to shore , run up the beach in deep sand to transition
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:42 | 24.6 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 38/122
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops around LAX airport on the beach side and north side road , closed course some sand on road near beach and damp , took extra cautious on the few turns along the course
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:66:46 | 06.2 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 115/122
Performance: Average
Course: out and back along the beach front trail and down ballona creek to the turnaround flat flat there were friendly volunteers at every possible point one could veer off course both on the bike and run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-20 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course

2013-10-21 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4880934

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course

Well done!!

A closed off bike course sounds heavenly!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Playa Del Rey Triathlon - International Course

Started by waupaca11
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2012-10-14 10:06 PM waupaca11

Playa Del Run: Playa del Rey

Started by reiner
Views: 1265 Posts: 1

2010-01-24 7:11 PM reiner

Playa del Rey Triathlon

Started by wyndswept
Views: 1383 Posts: 1

2009-10-19 3:59 PM wyndswept

Playa del Rey Triathlon

Started by bfoyle
Views: 1248 Posts: 2

2009-10-19 12:58 PM 17281posse

Playa Del Run: Playa del Rey

Started by Longshot
Views: 991 Posts: 1

2009-07-20 10:55 PM Longshot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.