General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Hydration System Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-21 11:41 AM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Aero Hydration System
Did my final tuneup (Soma HIM) for IMAZ which is already less than a month away. I learned a couple things, most notably that I need to find an aero hydration unit that works. I used a Speedfill A2 this summer but ditched it because it leaks horribly. Have since been training with a water bottle in my aero bottle cage and was planning on just using the on-course water bottles at IMAZ.

Well, I quickly realized yesterday that the water bottles they hand out don't fit in my bottle cages. It was extremely annoying and actually dangerous at times... Therefore, I need to find an aero hydration system ASAP so I can train with it on my last couple long rides. The new Nathan aero system looks intriguing and several have recommended the TorHans unit.

What has worked well for everyone here?

2013-10-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Subject: RE: Aero Hydration System

Originally posted by devilfan02 Did my final tuneup (Soma HIM) for IMAZ which is already less than a month away. I learned a couple things, most notably that I need to find an aero hydration unit that works. I used a Speedfill A2 this summer but ditched it because it leaks horribly. Have since been training with a water bottle in my aero bottle cage and was planning on just using the on-course water bottles at IMAZ. Well, I quickly realized yesterday that the water bottles they hand out don't fit in my bottle cages. It was extremely annoying and actually dangerous at times... Therefore, I need to find an aero hydration system ASAP so I can train with it on my last couple long rides. The new Nathan aero system looks intriguing and several have recommended the TorHans unit. What has worked well for everyone here?

Email the guys at Speedfil.  A few of us posted about leaky A2s on slowtwitch, they had an issue with some of them.  They sent out replacements that seem to work fine.

2013-10-21 1:30 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by devilfan02 Did my final tuneup (Soma HIM) for IMAZ which is already less than a month away. I learned a couple things, most notably that I need to find an aero hydration unit that works. I used a Speedfill A2 this summer but ditched it because it leaks horribly. Have since been training with a water bottle in my aero bottle cage and was planning on just using the on-course water bottles at IMAZ. Well, I quickly realized yesterday that the water bottles they hand out don't fit in my bottle cages. It was extremely annoying and actually dangerous at times... Therefore, I need to find an aero hydration system ASAP so I can train with it on my last couple long rides. The new Nathan aero system looks intriguing and several have recommended the TorHans unit. What has worked well for everyone here?

Email the guys at Speedfil.  A few of us posted about leaky A2s on slowtwitch, they had an issue with some of them.  They sent out replacements that seem to work fine.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! My A2 is a disaster - about a 1/4 of the bottle leaks out.
2013-10-21 1:59 PM

User image

Here's the contact Info I've used, Dave D is very responsive

David Dietterle
Inviscid Design, Inc.
2013-10-21 2:27 PM

I have the Profile Design Aero HC system and haven't had problems with it. It's easy to refill on the ride and easy to clean. My only complaint about it is that I don't like the straw and need to shave it down or look at getting one that will fold down and be out of the way. It's inexpensive ($70) relative to the others out there but may not be as aero. For what it is worth, I've had no problems with it leaking or rocketing out of its cage and I've been on some pretty rough roads with it.
2013-10-21 7:44 PM

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
I have used different systems. throns. speedfill , just a cage and a bottle. but the best for me was a combination.

I had the profile bars to mount my carbon cage between the aero bars. then I was at tribe and found the xlab torpedo for 39.39 and used it in my bottle holder. love it no splashing easy fill no regrets

(1375221_527042750714375_276246320_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1375221_527042750714375_276246320_n.jpg (70KB - 4 downloads)

2013-10-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I run a mettle cage between my bars, the cheap $4 ones you can get at any bike shop, you can easily bend it on the fly if needed to fit the smaller water bottles if needed. Problem solved for $4
2013-10-24 12:24 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Originally posted by cstoulil I run a mettle cage between my bars, the cheap $4 ones you can get at any bike shop, you can easily bend it on the fly if needed to fit the smaller water bottles if needed. Problem solved for $4

I use a cage and then the A2 in it or a regular bottle, use either/or depending on the ride.  Biggest benefit of something like the A2 or similar is when you riding in a heavy crosswind and it becomes unsafe to reach for the botle, as happened at Wildflower this year.  Was not a bike handling issue becuase we had 30 mph side gusts and you never really knew when they were going to hit.  Certainly didn't want one to hit with one hand off the bars.  I used a regular bottle for those conditions and an A2 would have been better nutrition wise.

YMMV, my 02 etc.

2013-10-28 9:58 PM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by ranman69 I have used different systems. throns. speedfill , just a cage and a bottle. but the best for me was a combination. I had the profile bars to mount my carbon cage between the aero bars. then I was at tribe and found the xlab torpedo for 39.39 and used it in my bottle holder. love it no splashing easy fill no regrets
I recently started using the X-Lab torpedo (system 100) as well and have been very happy with it.  Even with the crosscut lid very little leakage, the drinking tube folds down and has a nifty holder for it and the reservoir locks in rock solid so you don't have to worry about it launching on a rough course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Hydration System Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM training and immune system

Started by runk8run
Views: 1567 Posts: 7

2012-12-07 6:36 PM pga_mike

Do you wear a hydration system for IM run?? Pages: 1 2

Started by ouradventure
Views: 5358 Posts: 30

2011-09-20 3:43 PM jldicarlo

aero wheels or No aero wheels

Started by poo_the_great
Views: 1057 Posts: 2

2010-06-11 11:02 AM mperfct

What is your bike hydration system?

Started by jerry
Views: 907 Posts: 2

2005-06-10 3:01 PM kanoelani

IM Hydration and Nutrition Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 2650 Posts: 26

2005-03-14 9:52 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.