General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car while biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-28 11:01 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Hit by a car while biking
Happened on 4/28 - I was just out for a nice leisurely 30 miler, when I was coming across a small cross street and the next thing I knew I had glass in my lips and was strapped to a spineboard (thankfully no major injuries, just wicket road rash). Has this happened to anyone else? If so, here's my real question:

What did it take for you to start riding on the road again?

Thankfully there is a 7.75 mile bike/running path I ride on, but I am absolutely terrified of taking my bike back out on the streets. I ask b/c I am doing IMAZ in April, and I think it'd be tough squeezing in 100 mile rides with all that down/back/down/back/down/back and all the other people. HELP!

2006-07-28 11:03 AM
in reply to: #496066

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Hit by a car while biking
Talk to TH3 FRB .... he also got nailed in a hit and run at the beginning of April.

"When you fall off the horse ........"
2006-07-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: #496072

User image

molto veloce mama
GET BACK ON! like he said. there are others here who have been through the same thing. the longer you wait, the harder it will be. start slow, but start. i had a near miss in 1998, riding in december and swerving to get out of the way of a car w/o its lights on (at 7am on a minnesota winter morning - pitch black out). i was lucky to see him at the last minute and swerve, but the swerve put me into a patch of black ice and i went down hard, dislocating and breaking my left elbow. still have a bolt and a nice long scar. anyway, while my arm was still in a cast, i went to the lbs and bought some studded nokian tires (i had always poo-poo'ed studded tires before that). while i recovered, i did what i could to keep strong. a few weeks after the cast was off, i was back on my bike (february - so still snowy). it was scary...and i actually tensed up so much at one point that i hit ice AGAIN and went down...but i was okay. after my accident, i embraced brightly colored bike clothing and blinky lights. they might not help a ton, but at least they help you feel like you are doing something to make yourself safer. you can do it!
2006-07-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #496072

User image

Pro
Reston

"When you fall off the horse ........"

"Sorry Maury, I'm not a gymnast" (zoolander reference)

Anyway, you say this happened on 4/28, right?  have you not been back on the roads at all in those 3 months?  Most likely there won't be any specific time frame for when you'll feel comfortable again.... at least not until you actually ride in the traffic again.  Unfortunately, it will probably be a matter of riding amongst all the cars, and not being hit, until you feel okay with it.

Edited by 3558 2006-07-28 11:12 AM
2006-07-28 11:17 AM

User image

Master
New York
I've been riding (generally 80-100 miles/week) but it's all on that interminable path. It works out pretty well - there are a lot of other cyclists out there, path is pretty wide, a good ride. The main problem is it's short length, and the fact that by the time I pack my bike, drive there, unpack, get ready, then do it all in reverse after I ride, I've tacked on an extra hour that I could be at home with my fiancee. She's really freaked out about me on the roads, which is another contributing factor to why I haven't been out with the cars.
2006-07-28 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)

I was involved in a nasty wreck with a car at the end of March and it consequently almost happened again last night (see my log if you want to read the story).  Honestly, all it took for me was getting a new bike.  My old bike was totaled in the wreck, so I had to hunt for a bike and by the time that I had gotten it, I had rehabed my shoulder to the point of feeling comfortable to resume training.  I definitely took it easy on the roads for the first while (biked slower than normal, etc...) but now I just try to ride at less busy times of day and on wide open, seldom used roads. 

Sorry to hear about the wreck.  I would never wish that on anyone.

2006-07-28 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I am a pretty firm believer that I don't ride on roads, unless I have a group with me.

So, I ride with local cycling clubs... and I always have a "team" of 10-30 cyclists with me. We are NOT hard to spot.

*knocks on wood*... after 3,000 miles on my bike... and 2 years... I have only had ONE wreck... and no cars were involved. In fact, we have never had close calls in our groups with cars.

Moral of the story? Find some cycling groups or buddies to ride with... you will feel safer and it is safer.

Good luck!

2006-07-28 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

The bike path I ride on is really "less safe" than the roads.  The bike path crosses various roads every few miles, 1-4 miles or so.  So while you are safe for those miles you are not crossing roads, where the path crosses you have to slow down and LOOK to make sure there is not a car coming.  Well when you are riding, after crossing and re-crossing roads and hardly ever seeing a car.... yep you guessed it, there is a car and you only slowed down enough to put you right in front of the dang thing. 

I have had several close calls at those places, at least when I ride the roads I watch for cars (and the cross roads are ALWAYS clear of trees so you can see clearly what is coming.  Every cross road on the bike path is blocked by trees and/or something you can not see through.  Sure it is GREAT to have something you do not have to watch for cars all the time, but I think we can get lazy.

2006-07-29 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
when you get hit by a car on the roads...who is at fault? I am always thinking about liability issues when I think about getting hit by a car. I always try to stay as far left as possible. Does the bicyclist always have the "right of way?"

My biggest lifesaver on the roads is my rearview mirror that I attach to my sunglasses. I can definetely keep a look out for cars that are not neccessarily giving you much space and they have saved me a couple times.

I've also had some pleasent conversations with a-holes that get too close to me when we are waiting at a light. Sorry to generalize, but they are usually fat b-stards that don't look like they could run a lap in their driveway, let alone a mile....

2006-07-29 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
How about finding a large development of houses where people aren't driving fast and getting your feet wet in there instead of on busier roads.  I'm a chicken of cars too!!!  I only ride in my neighborhood or on paths closed to traffic..I'm training for IMFL so I feel your pain.  Riding my 6.5-7.5 mile loop in my neighborhood is infinately more painful than the 7 mile loop that is closed to traffic tho.  The traffic in my neighborhood is dangerous enough I'm not going on the open road....my confouding factors are that I am single and if I don't come home no one is looking for me, (yes I wear a road id but still)  I am a physician and on call 50% of the time so I have to ride in the neighborhood.  Its admittedly mind numbing but its better than not riding and quite frankly its not worth my career or my life to be out on more dangerous roads.  Good luck!!
2006-07-29 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I was a hit in Nov of last year. After knee surgery and rehab because of that accident I wasn't back on the bike for a few months. But I could spin indoor before I could accually walk. Took me a while before I was thrilled about riding on the roads again. At first I stayed on the local bike paths. Still think about traffic everytime I ride on the road.

I like riding in the group centuries in our area much more now I figure I am more safe with the number of potenial victims available!

Give it some time, it will get better.

2006-07-29 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Stay away from neighborhoods...nobody pays attention getting out of there neighborhoods. I say stay on your 7 mile path until you are comfortable riding on the road again. An extra hour a day commuting to the loop is better than a car wreck! Not a bad idea to ride in a group. I ride early mornings from 5:30-6:30ish in the mornings...not much traffic then.
2006-07-30 12:58 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

First, thankfully you weren't hurt too bad.  Wow.

Second, I noticed something this weekend.  I usually ride very early in the morning on the neighborhoud streets around my house.  I get in 15-20 miles before work.  Yesterday I rode in the early morning but the sun was already up.  It made me realize that I count on the darkness to tell me when cars are coming up.  What I mean is that the headlights of an approaching car give me plenty of warning that a car is coming up behind me.  I'm not saying I think I'm ACTUALLY any safer, I just feel safer knowing when the cars are there.  On the weekends I don't like going out that early because the drunks might still be working their way home. 

Also, if you do this, watch out for the newspaper delivery guys.  They are the most dangerous because they don't think anyone else is out and they are too busy looking at their route lists.

Good luck getting back on the road.  I feel for you and hope I never have to go through that.

2006-07-30 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I made the mistake of reading this right before going on my solo 48 mile ride on busy roads...shudder....

Sorry I can't offer advice as to how to get back on the road...but would have to agree with several of the posters...the sooner you get back on, the better.

I look at it this way...if I didn't ride my bike every time I worried about dying...I'd never ride.  There are risks with EVERYTHING in life.  All we can do is our best, and what happens will happen.  You are probably more likely to get into a car accident than bike accident, but I bet you drive lots of places...

2006-07-30 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Let me suggest a diferent approach... Join a local bike club. Ride with them for a while. I'll bet they have routes both on and off the road, and you'll be safer riding in a group to get used to the road again. Just a thought...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car while biking Rss Feed