General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-23 5:52 PM

User image

Subject: Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks
I started running casually at 45. At 50 I trained for and ran a half marathon in 1:42. It was a flat course along paved roads. I ran a marathon a year for the next four years and then stopped for a couple of years because of lack of access to roads. Last year I dabbled into triathlons and did a try a tri. This year I dove into triathlon training and did two sprints and a sprint duathlon. Saturday I ran my second half marathon and ran it in 1:40, two minutes faster than I did eight years ago. This half was hilly, partially along rocky trails and cold.

In short, I have increased my running speed even though I'm eight years older and running two days a week instead of five and not training specifically for a half marathon.

I can think of a couple of possible reasons for this. It may be that my running technique has improved with the distance running but I think that triathlon training is the cause. I think that running only two days a week has let me have much more productive and effective run workouts and has not over stressed my running muscles. Am I way off base here because I am feeling like trumpeting the sport of triathlon to all my running friends, whether they want to hear it or not.

2013-10-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks
If you are getting better run results from tri training than run training...I'd guess your run training was not well guided.
The bike can help build your CV without the pounding of running, and would definitely given some quad strength to help power up the hills, but both combined should be small in comparison to the benefits of well executed run-only training.

But then again...who cares? You smashed your PR! The circumstances don't change that you are a better runner now than you were back then. Congrats!
2013-10-23 6:47 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Originally posted by dfroelich

If you are getting better run results from tri training than run training...I'd guess your run training was not well guided.
The bike can help build your CV without the pounding of running, and would definitely given some quad strength to help power up the hills, but both combined should be small in comparison to the benefits of well executed run-only training.

But then again...who cares? You smashed your PR! The circumstances don't change that you are a better runner now than you were back then. Congrats!

I was following a running room clinic and I stuck with the program pretty religiously.
2013-10-23 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

It could be the tri training, it could be a lot of other things but one thing I assure is that it wasn't the switch to running only 2x/week.  

2013-10-23 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Triathlon training makes a big difference. A lot of us AGers tend to over train and don't value recovery as much as we should. While there are too many variables to say whether it was triathlon training that was the sole cause for your improvement, I'd guess it had something to do with your improvement. It's certainly made a difference for me. Prior to triathlon my PR for an HM was a 1:40:00 (run training only). That was at least 15 years ago when I was in my mid 20's. In August, I ran a new PR around 1:37 and I only ran about 50 miles total in the month leading up to the race. I went into the race well rested. Never underestimate the value of cross-training and recovery. They are way underrated!
2013-10-23 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by thebigb

It could be the tri training, it could be a lot of other things but one thing I assure is that it wasn't the switch to running only 2x/week.  

This.

But congratulations on your improved speed eight years older. That's awesome.

p.s. I slowed down a lot in running when I switched from all running, 6-7 days/week, to tri training running 3 times per week.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-10-23 7:45 PM

2013-10-23 7:58 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

This.

p.s. I slowed down a lot in running when I switched from all running, 6-7 days/week, to tri training running 3 times per week.

I agree that this happens to the young but I suspect it's different with those of us who have a lot of years behind us. I think that the older muscles can't maximize the training from running almost every day.
2013-10-23 9:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

This.

I agree that this happens to the young but I suspect it's different with those of us who have a lot of years behind us. I think that the older muscles can't maximize the training from running almost every day.

I'm younger than you but not exactly young. I'm 47 and have been running for 10 years. I started out running 3 days/week and made huge improvements in my mid-40s but running more, not less. A good friend of mine in his early 50s runs 100k/week and would definitely doubt that running less would make him faster. Just go over to Runner's World forum and you'll see lots of people in their 50s running lots of miles.

I took up triathlon last year so I cut my running back by a lot and saw a huge loss in speed. I love it and want to continue doing triathlon, but I know it's going to take gradual adjustment to doing all three sports before I see my speed come back.

So I'm not saying that running more is better-- do what you enjoy. I'm definitely impressed with your improvement but more impressed that you're enjoying it so much. But don't think that you're faster BECAUSE you're running less-- you're faster despite running less.
2013-10-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

Congrats! The same thing happened to me. I've been a runner for many years, but once I started triathlons my running improved across the board, from 5Ks to marathon. I'm faster at age 31 than I was at 18 and I have found that I stay healthy when I'm tri training. Again, congrats!

Edited by summerk 2013-10-24 10:56 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Increasing Run Speed

Started by burhed
Views: 1457 Posts: 19

2009-07-24 11:35 AM gsmacleod

Increasing run speed vs heart rate

Started by SLOWTEX
Views: 1521 Posts: 10

2009-01-25 12:54 AM AdventureBear

Increasing weekly running distances while triathlon training

Started by SweetK
Views: 1190 Posts: 13

2007-04-10 8:21 AM SweetK

increasing running speed

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1072 Posts: 10

2007-03-20 4:28 PM WaterDog66

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : October 30, 2005
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 5
Race in the right division and you will find that maybe you aren't such a slow runner after all.

date : December 12, 2004
author : econway
With my first triathlon scheduled for March, when should I start to worry/concentrate on getting faster? And how do I get faster?
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.