General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlamps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-24 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Headlamps
I'm hoping to get some solid recommendations on headlamps for nighttime trail running. My wife has a Black Diamond Revolt, which seems real nice, is rechargeable via USB (not sure why that's so cool), and she's happy with it. It can be had for about $60. For her 100k last weekend, she picked up last minute a $15 Energizer brand headlamp which we assumed would be crappy, but would work for the first hour of the race in the dark. Turns out the $15 Energizer worked really well, had a good elastic headband that seemed just as good as the BD, and I ended up running with it for the last bit of the race when I paced her in. In fact, the funny story about that last bit is her Revolt battery died so I gave her back the cheapo headlamp and I ended up using a keychain single led handheld for the last 5 miles. I think the Revolt battery didn't get fully charged because the USB charger only charged when her computer wasn't in "sleep" mode.

Anyone else have a favorite running headlamp?

2013-10-24 8:16 AM
in reply to: Climbinggonzo

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Headlamps
I used 'Knuckle Lights' on my last night trial run. I love the concept but they just aren't bright enough and have a blue light that's insufficient. I'd like to hear other opinions as well, as I'm in the market too.
2013-10-24 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran

I have the 100 lumen Black Diamond Storm (about $50). I really like it. It has a wide angle option which is what I usually use running, but also a spot light feature that is good to click on to see far, far down the road/trail. I am a little weird though in that I wear the strap around my chest since the light is so brigh it bothers me on my head and since it takes 4 AAA batteries it's a tad heavier than some options.

2013-10-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: 0

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I have this and really like using it (the ad is cheesy but gives you some specs/info): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCP7DK9sVSY.... Dave Jesse borrowed it from me during his 100 mile Ultra trail race since it was brighter in the low mode than what he had. Sure helped him in the dark woods with no moonlight and no starlight.

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2013-10-24 3:44 PM
2013-10-24 3:54 PM

User image

Pro

When I went searching for a headlamp, I decided upon this one last year (my full review is on the top of the amazon link)

http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Remix-Headlamp-Black/dp/B002HMVQI4

$30.  100 lumen, although I usually use it on lower power.  I can see why some people might want rechargeable ones, but this guy takes AAA's and it will last the better part of a season.  One less thing to worry about.  As the batteries start getting low, it will blink at you and give you many runs of warning.

it's not the only good headlamp out there- but it does the job very well.  small.  light.  i clip a red blinky light on the back of the strap for my early morning street runs.

2013-10-24 8:53 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
If you buy the petzl nao you will cuss for the price until you use it. Amazing. 175.00 so price is high but the light is amazing.

2013-10-25 2:45 PM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kstater39 If you buy the petzl nao you will cuss for the price until you use it. Amazing. 175.00 so price is high but the light is amazing.

Woa!  that's a freaky cool light.  I'd never heard of the NAO before.  Not that I'm gonna' blow $175 on one so fast, as my little Remix does a fine job, but thanks for posting it.  

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/nao

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Nao-REACTIVE-Rechargeable-Headlamp/dp/B007K03OU6

2013-10-27 5:03 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by kstater39 If you buy the petzl nao you will cuss for the price until you use it. Amazing. 175.00 so price is high but the light is amazing.

Woa!  that's a freaky cool light.  I'd never heard of the NAO before.  Not that I'm gonna' blow $175 on one so fast, as my little Remix does a fine job, but thanks for posting it.  

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/nao

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Nao-REACTIVE-Rechargeable-Headlamp/dp/B007K03OU6

Does look cool.

I upgraded to 205 lumens this year, the myo rxp, also a petzl. http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/performance/myo-rxp

Lasted the whole night, about 11 hours, although the last 2 or 3 were a bit weak, but really that is early dawn so you need a bit less light.

Awesome though. No moon, but I could see everything. Highly suggest it.
2013-10-27 9:09 PM

I have the Petzl MIo and the Petzl NAO. Both are on the upper end price wise but have high lumens in comparison to something cheaper. Both allow connection to the computer for customizing your lighting needs. You can pick programs depending on your need for lumens versus battery length, etc. The good about the MIO is that it has three preset modes, has a flip shield to give you a focused beam or a broad beam, lasted easily through the night at the Black Hills 100. Takes three AA batteries which adds to the weight.

The NAO has an interesting feature in that it has reactive lighting. It automatically adjust the beam and lumens based on if you are looking at the ground or down the trail. It has a rechargeable USB port and battery.

I preferred the MIO. A tish heavier but half the price and just as functional, I thought. The NAO actually had issues with blipping out when your foggy breath passed in front of the IR sensor during a cold run. Not very functional in Minnesota. I wouldn't reccomend the NAO.
2013-10-28 9:04 AM

User image

I have a Zebralight H600 and LLOOVVVEE IT!!! Its 750 lumens, has great battery life, and lights up the world.
2013-10-28 11:16 AM
in reply to: Lyle21

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I have a Tikka XP that I normally use, but my night time runs are on smooth trails. I signed up for the Rocky Raccoon 100 in Feb, and I'm a little concerned about light choices. The issue with the trails on this course are roots. Do you think the headlamp creates enough contrast & shadow for night-time running on trails with heavy roots, especially when you're tired and in zombie mode? Would I be better off with a hand-held?

I'm doing a couple 50k's on the same trails in Nov and Dec, so I was thinking I'd show up a little early and try out a few different options, but I'm interested in suggestions.

2013-10-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by g_shotts

I have a Tikka XP that I normally use, but my night time runs are on smooth trails. I signed up for the Rocky Raccoon 100 in Feb, and I'm a little concerned about light choices. The issue with the trails on this course are roots. Do you think the headlamp creates enough contrast & shadow for night-time running on trails with heavy roots, especially when you're tired and in zombie mode? Would I be better off with a hand-held?

I'm doing a couple 50k's on the same trails in Nov and Dec, so I was thinking I'd show up a little early and try out a few different options, but I'm interested in suggestions.

I can't speak from experience but I was running with a girl last weekend who said she was having a lot of trouble out here with just a headlamp due to the lack of shadows and contrast with the roots. She said she does a headlamp and a sternum lamp (she just attached a headlamp to her sternum). Between her saying that and Comet recommending it, I went ahead and bought this one. If you order today it can still get here by Friday. I'm trying Saturday morning with this and my headlamp. Probably overkill for just the hour it will be dark, but at least it'll be a good test for February. For the 50 I used a hand-held and a headlamp. That worked well except my arm/shoulder locked into position and I couldn't move it for days after the race! I think we're running the same 3 races up there this season

Edited by erin116 2013-10-30 3:31 PM
2013-10-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Originally posted by g_shotts

Maybe I'll see you out there, Rocky Racoon is on the "maybe, why the heck not" list for my first 100. Wife I think is doing it for sure, so I might train my rear off for the next few months and give it a go, see what happens.
2013-11-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: erin116

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I did the RR 50k on Saturday and am planning on the Texas Trail Run 50k at Huntsville in December then the Bandera 50k in Jan.....then, if all goes well the RR 100-mi in Feb. I wore my headlamp for the first lap on Saturday and it left me thinking I need a different solution for the middle of the night when my legs are heavy and I'm getting rummy! I'm going to order a good hand-help light and give the combo a try.
2013-11-05 4:10 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I did the RR 50K too. I was really hoping to check out my lighting system but we were all so clumped up until it got light out it was impossible for me to tell if it was my lights helping or those of someone else. I did discover a few things I didn't like about how my headlamp fit so I'm going to have to play with that before February.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlamps Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Headlamps?

Started by Karl Hungus
Views: 1304 Posts: 2

2010-08-15 2:51 PM sloar