Other Resources The Political Joe » Obama's Credibility in Melting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-25 9:12 AM

User image

Subject: Obama's Credibility in Melting
"Bluntly, Mr. Obama's partners are concluding that they cannot do business with him. They don't trust him. Whether it's the Saudis, the Syrian rebels, the French, the Iraqis, the unpivoted Asians or the congressional Republicans, they've all had their fill of coming up on the short end with so mercurial a U.S. president. And when that happens, the world's important business doesn't get done. It sits in a dangerous and volatile vacuum."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303902404579152...

Six years of hyperbolic speeches, bait and switches, insincere negotiations, and empty suited leadership is rearing it's ugly head.

2013-10-25 10:22 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Obama's Credibility in Melting
nice opinion piece....
2013-10-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: sbreaux

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Obama's Credibility is melting....according to his opponents who which to destroy his credibility.............

2013-10-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

Obama's Credibility is melting....according to his opponents who which to destroy his credibility.............

Obviously Obama still has supporters, but seriously how can anyone work with him?  Everyone likes to blame the republicans for not "negotiating" or "working together", but I can't think of a single example where the President has offered any ideas or compromise on anything.  Every single thing he railed on Bush against he's doing just as bad or worse, he hasn't offered anything to curb spending, and he's single handedly destroying our reputation around the world by spying on EVERYBODY including our allies.

Stanley Druckenmiller summed it up pretty well about why the republicans have to do things the way they're doing them. 

"this president, despite what he says, has shown time and time again that he needs a gun at his head to negotiate in good faith. All this talk about, 'I won't negotiate with a gun at my head.' OK, you've been president for five years."

"Show me, President Obama, when the period was when you initiated budget discussions without a gun at your head."

2013-10-25 12:30 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

Obviously Obama still has supporters, but seriously how can anyone work with him?  Everyone likes to blame the republicans for not "negotiating" or "working together", but I can't think of a single example where the President has offered any ideas or compromise on anything.  Every single thing he railed on Bush against he's doing just as bad or worse, he hasn't offered anything to curb spending, and he's single handedly destroying our reputation around the world by spying on EVERYBODY including our allies.

Stanley Druckenmiller summed it up pretty well about why the republicans have to do things the way they're doing them. 

"this president, despite what he says, has shown time and time again that he needs a gun at his head to negotiate in good faith. All this talk about, 'I won't negotiate with a gun at my head.' OK, you've been president for five years."

"Show me, President Obama, when the period was when you initiated budget discussions without a gun at your head."

Can you show me a time when Republicans willingly negotiated on anything with the President?

I'm genuinely curious because I despise both sides so I'm wondering if there was.
2013-10-25 1:08 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

ROFLMAO........'stop!'......."I can't breath".....hahahahahahah.

Really!  A 'credibility' piece about ANY politician!  You're kidding RIGHT? 

Tell me you're kidding?

2013-10-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Tell me you're kidding?

Well....except that this is the President of the most powerful nation on the planet......and having credibility with the rest of the world is mildly important.  Seriously, I'm not kidding.

2013-10-25 1:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

Tell me you're kidding?

Well....except that this is the President of the most powerful nation on the planet......and having credibility with the rest of the world is mildly important.  Seriously, I'm not kidding.

This statement is true REGARDLESS of who's in office. 

But I understand the Repubs need to bump up their polling numbers, problem is THEY CAN"T.  So, they'll burn the entire house down (OR, shut down a govt.) to try and lower the opposition down to their levels.   Credibility?!    Pu-leeze!          

2013-10-25 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Now THAT"S uncalled for.  How DARE you bring FACTS into this discussion.   Moderators, please?

2013-10-25 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Tell me you're kidding?

It is important, however the author of the article is an opponent of the subject of the article. If that doesn't raise your eyebrow to the validity of the article's content, well, keep wearing that shiny hat.

2013-10-25 2:28 PM

User image

Pro

Tell me you're kidding?

It is important, however the author of the article is an opponent of the subject of the article. If that doesn't raise your eyebrow to the validity of the article's content, well, keep wearing that shiny hat.

I don't wear shiny hats, and I don't have a party affiliation.....Obama's presidency is a joke.  His foreign policy is nothing short of laughable.

2013-10-25 2:36 PM

User image

Pro

The way this opinion piece starts is just brilliantly playing to the tin-foil hat wearing GOP base:

"The collapse of ObamaCare is the tip of the iceberg for the magical Obama presidency..."

er... when did Obamacare collapse?  Oh, right.  It didn't.  So- if the article starts out with a blatant misrepresentation, why again should I believe anything else this 'writer' has to say?

This article is just tossing red meat to the right wing base, and proves one thing.  Rupert Murdoch knows how to make money. 

2013-10-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
^ this. RM does know how appeal to his readers and make money.
2013-10-25 9:55 PM

User image

I would be interested and curious to hear for those supporting Obama what in your opinion he has done to gain or bolster his credibility and trustworthiness and the things you think he has done that has hurt those same attributes?

2013-10-26 4:06 PM

User image

Tell me you're kidding?

The author of the opinion piece is the deputy editorial director of the Wall Street Journal. He is not an opponent of the President. This is also not an article, it is the viewpoint of the author and was found in the opinion section of the WSJ.
2013-10-26 4:15 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Originally posted by ejshowers

^ this. RM does know how appeal to his readers and make money.

RM's readers in this case are Wall Street types who, based on the flow of political contribution , heavily support democrats.

2013-10-26 5:06 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

The way this opinion piece starts is just brilliantly playing to the tin-foil hat wearing GOP base:

"The collapse of ObamaCare is the tip of the iceberg for the magical Obama presidency..."

er... when did Obamacare collapse?  Oh, right.  It didn't.  So- if the article starts out with a blatant misrepresentation, why again should I believe anything else this 'writer' has to say?

This article is just tossing red meat to the right wing base, and proves one thing.  Rupert Murdoch knows how to make money. 

July 2009 - "If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.” - President Obama

Today: "About half of the 14 million people who buy insurance on their own are not going to be able to keep the policies that they had previously."

Source CBS News (not quite the place conservatives go for red meat): http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57609224/arrival-of-obamacare...

That run on tin foil must be at Whole Foods and not at Walmart.

2013-10-28 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Originally posted by Jackemy1

Tell me you're kidding?

The author of the opinion piece is the deputy editorial director of the Wall Street Journal. He is not an opponent of the President. This is also not an article, it is the viewpoint of the author and was found in the opinion section of the WSJ.

I forget, who owns the WSJ again?
2013-10-28 9:48 AM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Originally posted by jcnipper

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Tell me you're kidding?

I forget, who owns the WSJ again?

You understand that the news room and editorial board are independent of News Corp?

source: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB118592510130784008

But anyway, how is the opinion of the author wrong or is he right? Is Obama's actions increasing or decreasing his credibility nationally or internationally? How does the credibility of the President affect our geopolitical capital or Washington dysfunction? Or do we really care?

2013-10-28 10:26 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

New user
Originally posted by crusevegas

I would be interested and curious to hear for those supporting Obama what in your opinion he has done to gain or bolster his credibility and trustworthiness and the things you think he has done that has hurt those same attributes?

So far I only hear the chirping of crickets.
2013-10-28 11:57 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

PROS:

-FINALLY took a hard line stance against the Radical Far Right.  He has fractured the Repubs and energized the left.

-Enacted Affordable Care Act-either you love it or hate it, but the old system was broken beyond repair.  And maintaining the status quo was not a good option.

-ended two wars

-Dropped the Federal Court arguments for DOMA

-Eliminated Dont Ask, Dont Tell

-Has, so far, been reluctant to commit US troops to another 'questionable' middle east crisis.

-Beat Mitt Romney and received a public mandate on the ACA and perserving the middle class.

-Increased use of unmanned drones to carry out attacks on terrorist groups.

and others....but I'm biased cuz I like the guy!

CONS:

I think he compromises TOO much!

NOTHING on Immigration

NOTHING on environment

NOTHING on Gun Control

NOTHING on prosecuting the Wall Street (TBTF) perps 

NOTHING on "increased Transparancy" of White House (NSA leaks don't count)

Frankly, I don't care what is 'credibility' is with other countries.  Don't change the fact that we have the best military, largest nuke stockpile, biggest economy and the CONTINUED reputation as being the baddest MFs on the planet.  How's THAT for credibility.  IMO: One by one these other world leaders who storm into the White House demanding an apology for being spied on are going to be given the hard facts that they have accomplished or Attempted to do the very same thing.  With very, VERY limited exceptions, most countries would rather be WITH us than AGAINST us.   That's credibility.

2013-10-28 4:47 PM

New user

PROS:

-FINALLY took a hard line stance against the Radical Far Right.  He has fractured the Repubs and energized the left.

-Enacted Affordable Care Act-either you love it or hate it, but the old system was broken beyond repair.  And maintaining the status quo was not a good option.

-ended two wars

-Has, so far, been reluctant to commit US troops to another 'questionable' middle east crisis.

-Beat Mitt Romney and received a public mandate on the ACA and perserving the middle class.

CONS:

NOTHING on Immigration

NOTHING on environment

NOTHING on Gun Control

Frankly, I don't care what is 'credibility' is with other countries.  Don't change the fact that we have the best military, largest nuke stockpile, biggest economy and the CONTINUED reputation as being the baddest MFs on the planet.  How's THAT for credibility.  IMO: One by one these other world leaders who storm into the White House demanding an apology for being spied on are going to be given the hard facts that they have accomplished or Attempted to do the very same thing.  With very, VERY limited exceptions, most countries would rather be WITH us than AGAINST us.   That's credibility.

As far as I can tell we are still in Afghanistan, and our best are still dying there, the last just a few days ago. It looks like close to 75% of those who died did so on Mr. Obama's watch. Very disingenuous to say he ended the war there.

http://icasualties.org/oef/ByTheatre.aspx
2013-10-28 6:25 PM

User image

Elite

PROS:

Broken beyond repair??? Say what? The argument that is was making us go broke... the solution... ACA... is making us go broke. How is that a win? 

-ended two wars

No, Bush ended the Iraq war before he left office. Obama escalated the Afghan war when he took office... but ya, it sounds a lot better when you say it. 

No, he didn't "end" it... that would actually take courage and effort... he drug his feet and allowed the brass to not care about it... before it was "ended". But ya, it sounds a lot better when you say it.

That is true... he draws a red line.. then back pedals, and waits for polls to tell him what to do. So yes, he is "reluctant". 

Bush didn't recieve a "mandate"... and neither did Obama.

"Continued" the policies left him by the last POTUS to continue using drones. But ya, your way sounds better.

CONS:

NOTHING on Immigration

NOTHING on environment

NOTHING on Gun Control

No, that is riding the coat tails of the last 40 years of US military power build up. Obama didn't make it. What has Obama ADDED to that legacy. What has he done to STRENGTHEN the US? What exactly does waffling on Syria do for us. If you draw a line in the sand, you better be ready to defend it. If not, then you are just seen as weak. Not caring about the conflict and drawing a line to begin with is not the same thing as not following through on what you say. 

2013-10-28 7:33 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

I think I would have to echo PM's comments.  President Obama is the leader of our country, and I respect that.....but really, he has done NOTHING to increase our standing in the world.  You can point to Obamacare if you like it, and you can say he stood down the Tea Party, but his foreign policy decisions have been abysmal. 

2013-10-29 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think I would have to echo PM's comments.  President Obama is the leader of our country, and I respect that.....but really, he has done NOTHING to increase our standing in the world.  You can point to Obamacare if you like it, and you can say he stood down the Tea Party, but his foreign policy decisions have been abysmal. 

Aren't we withdrawing from multiple wars at the moment? And we have reached a deal to get a hostile, tumultuous nation to destroy their chemical weapon arsenal. I would say that is at least something. Would you say Bush increased our standing in the world? Comparing this President to the last I would say he has done a better job.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Obama's Credibility in Melting Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Federal debt rose 57% under Obama to date Pages: 1 2

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 3530 Posts: 31

2013-10-21 3:07 PM Goosedog

Because it's Obama

Started by powerman
Views: 1124 Posts: 8

2013-09-12 3:35 PM powerman