Frontrunner USA
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 47s
Overall Rank = 38/140
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Had a bowl of cereal at home and a latte on the way to the race. Arrived about an hour early and got my race bib and timing chip. Hung out around the fire to keep warm while waiting for the race to begin.
Event warmup:

Short warmup jog and some stretching.
Run
  • 24m 47s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I had been slacking a bit the 3 weeks prior to the race. But I was shooting for a personal record of 27 minutes. I definitely beat that time, but it was because the course was short. I was on track to finish just a hair over 27 minutes if I kept my pace.

Overall, I was happy with my performance. I kept close to my goal pace even with the hills thrown in. I felt like I left it all out on the course.
What would you do differently?:

Started closer to the front of the pack. Trained more prior to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a while until my HR settled down. Eventually just made my way to my car and headed home. Had some gatorade and a clif bar on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could have gained a little bit of time starting towards the front of the pack. But the main limited was just my fitness level.

Event comments:

Overall it was probably just an average race. No complaints on the quality of the course. But the distance was a bit short and there wasn't too much special about it.

I'd probably try and find a different race to run around this time next year. But I would run it again if it was the only one that fit into my schedule.

Last updated: 2013-08-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:47 | 02.9 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 38/140
Performance: Good
Race was billed at a 5k but my garmin GPS showed much less. Looking at the GPS graph, I tend to agree with the garmin. It was pretty close to the race markers for the first 2 miles and then way off on the last mile. Average HR was 179 for the race. So I was pushing it pretty hard.
Course: Course was a trail run with a mix a mostly grass and some dirt. There were some rollers that weren't horrible. But enough to knock me down a gear for a little bit after them. The course was pretty congested right off the bat. But after the first 1/3 mile or so, it wasn't hard to get around people and I could run at my desired pace. There was no water offered during the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-10-26 7:39 PM

User image

Subject: The Great Pumpkin Chase
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Pumpkin Chase Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Great Pumpkin Chase

Started by autumn
Views: 1670 Posts: 10

2005-11-01 11:43 AM autumn

Great Pumpkin Chase

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1449 Posts: 13

2005-11-07 10:20 AM max

The Great Pumpkin Chase

Started by kelpeng
Views: 797 Posts: 3

2004-11-01 10:30 AM autumn

Great Pumpkin Chase

Started by autumn
Views: 1376 Posts: 13

2004-11-01 10:59 AM autumn

The Great Pumpkin Chase 5k Run - 2004

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 1280 Posts: 15

2004-10-26 7:26 PM dragoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.
date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...