of 2

2013-10-27 8:02 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Transgender Ironman Blog
Trigirl, Welcome!!

I'm also really interested to read about your journey. How physical changes effect your training, pacing and recovery.

Thank you for inviting us along!

2013-10-27 11:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

Ron, thanks for intervening. [MOD NOTE: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SIGNIFICANTLY CLEANED UP - RON]

Whether a post belongs in X forum or anywhere here at all is a MODERATOR call. If you have a problem with a topic being discussed or how it's being discussed, please PM one of the moderators for that forum. That goes for everybody. When a doubtful post continues to get quoted and we decide it needs to go, it's a real pain to try and parse/edit all of the replies, especially since some of them (possibly even the first doubtful post) likely have relevant parts that can stay.

2013-10-27 11:54 PM
in reply to: Trigirl91

User image

Melon Presser

That said, HI TRIGIRL! If you are who I think you are, then I remember you from these forums!

Good luck with chronicling your journey. If one of your goals is to get people to read your blog, you'll likely need to blog a lot more than twice a week. 5-6x is preferable (like running! Ha! ) It's a huge undertaking to keep posting, to keep content fresh and generous. You'll want to link to other blogs/pages/products of interest. You'll want to SEO (search engine optimize) your entries so that when people search for a certain topic (e.g., transgender and triathlon as keywords) your blog will come up.

I appreciate your willingness to share your journey and be an advocate for gender issues. It's not easy to place personal journeys and matters into a public context. I do think that your life and stories put a very readable zing to the usual I'm-tri'ing blogs (even Ironman ones). People read what I write not because I'm just another person on the iron journey, but because I have an unusual and humorous life.

Read up on how to write blog entries and newsjournal articles. Follow them. Proofread. Oh, and picture-rich. Sorry, but people don't read blocks of text anymore.

2013-10-28 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome to BT! Looking forward to the blog.
2013-10-28 7:51 AM

User image

Pro

I don't know you, we don't have a lot in common, but I wish you all the luck in the world! Diversity is what makes life interesting.

If you ever chick me during a race, I think I've finally found the perfect excuse

2013-10-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
yea I want to follow. I'm interested, like others in how the lower testosterone will affect your training.

2013-10-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Calgary
I think such a blog would be fascinating. I can't really give advice on which blogging software to use, I have a tumblr account but I don't use it for blogging, I find that people can make a good blog out of it.

I would suggest, if you want people to follow, post plenty of pictures, especially of yourself. It personalizes the blog and makes people want to follow along your journey. Unless you are a very talented writer I don't know if many people who don't know you will be interested in following.

As a white heterosexual married male with 2 kids, a boy and a girl, I am always interested in the experiences of others. There was another person on the site who used to post a lot who was going through a transition, I think. Anyway, she always had great insights on posts dealing with gender and identity.

You probably know this, but what is obvious to you in social situations is not obvious to someone like me. It is embarrassing to me actually how wedded I am to my own paradigm. So discussions about that is helpful.
2013-10-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro

I realize I was a little flip with my comment. I'd recommend WordPress. It's got some flexibility in it, and its really good at longer post and very easy to use. Also let us know when you're on twitter!

2013-10-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome (back?), Trigirl.  I agree with LB...must more interesting than testing out pedals.

One of my best friends has a daughter who is going through a TG transformation (mental and emotional only, so far), and I'm sure it's going to be difficult for her to find role models with similar thoughts/feelings/experiences.  I'll definitely point you out to them.

2013-10-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
You should look up Nova over on the slowtwitch forums. She is another transgender athelete. I dont know if she still competes but she has had the sex reassignment surgery and could probably offer some pretty good advise.

Edited by orphious 2013-10-28 10:32 AM
2013-10-28 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
The two big blogs are wordpress or blogger. Blogger is a little easier to use and you can post videos where as I don't think you can on wordpress unless you upgrade.

2013-10-28 11:47 AM

Welcome!

I certainly want to applaud you for being so open!

I too will be following your blog. I second the notion for lots of pictures, and more frequently than twice a month! It sure sounds like you have some serious training regimens under your belt already with your previous Ironman and running background. I'm very interested in the aspect of your training from a very committed younger person.

Do you train independently, or do you have a coach? What region of the country are you from and where do you train? As a younger person too I'm always curious about how you balance training and a work life. Mostly because I have yet to get everything in balance and always look for better plans from seasoned racers.

Good luck with everything and be sure to keep us all informed as the blog comes together and anywhere else you share your story. Personally, I'm very addicted to Instagram and would love to see pictures of where you train, races, meals, etc.

Cheers.

Alex
2013-10-28 12:13 PM
in reply to: e_powered

User image

Seattle

Welcome back!

I am really excited to read this blog, so please keep us posted. 

I think most people have you covered in terms of advice on blogging. I can reiterate to keep the text portion concise for the most part, and lots of pictures. Maybe a regularly occurring Q&A section where you can field followers questions.

I applaud you for your bravery and hope that you know you have a ton of support. 

2013-10-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Good luck on your journey. I agree with some of the other posters, a blog by a TG athlete is bout to be more interesting than the typical tri blog.
My advice is keep it humorous and light hearted and ignore the bigots, haters and fanatics.
2013-10-28 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Trigirl91

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll use my tumblr account for my blog and I'll give vlogging a try too. I use this user name.

I'll definitely detail the physical changes that has been happening. I've already been getting a bit weaker this year compared to last year actually. Also I'll tell how HRT will effect my training and racing. I'm even wondering what I may have to do different this year than last. I'll also detail my experience with various race directors too, especially since I'm changing my name within the next few months and a legal gender change some time next year. Anything else guys?

Finally I'll be competing as male next year, I contacted the IMLP race director and I was told to notify them of my name change when it becomes official and that they and USAT follows the IOC rules concerning transgender athletes. I'll have to compete as male until I get sexual reassignment surgery. Also after another year or so any advantages that I have over other girls will be largely be gone as my muscles will atrophy and my fat will redistribute to a more feminine pattern with HRT

Following you on tumblr now. Excited to hear more about your journey.
2013-10-28 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by Trigirl91

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll use my tumblr account for

Transgender with a Tumblr account? I would never have thought! :p

2013-10-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4885516

I'm starting to get a get an idea of what I'm wanting to blog about. Topics will include but aren't limited to my training, how hormones effect it, my transition in general but especially with the sport, my races, experiences that I've been going through in and out of the sport, transgender issues in sports and trans rights, motivational pics and vids, training and transition tips and I'll culminate next fall with transition, training and racing videos if the season. I'll be updating often! Expect my first posts to come within a couple weeks, earlier on Sunday... oh and I'm going to set up a Twitter :D
2013-10-28 5:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome back to BT!

I expect that you'll have more to blog about, or at the very least much more unique material, than most of us.

Do post up when it all goes live so we can follow.

Now get after it and tri on!

Matt

2013-10-28 8:46 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
Transgender triathletes represent! I'm going the other way -- too bad we can't just switch bodies Really looking forward to reading your blog -- it's been a long, strange process for me already so far and I'm not even on hormones yet (just surgery scheduled, yikes, 6 weeks from now). Triathlon is pretty great in that the governing bodies have even bothered to have rules for trans athletes which aren't just "no race for you, too bad, so sad." Good luck on your transition and your upcoming season!
2013-10-28 8:47 PM

User image

So this was basically just plugging your blog right?

2013-11-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4886639

Starting to get things I'm pretty with my account more that I have time and soon I will begin, hopefully tonight or tomorrow!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transgender Ironman Blog Rss Feed  

of 2