Dallas Athletes Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 46s
Overall Rank = 78/189
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/23
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15. Actually up much of the night....blood sugar running low, and CGM thought it was even lower, so getting &*(^ alarms every 30 minutes. But felt pretty good all that considered. Ate normal bkfst (steel cut oats, 1 veggie sausage, 1 egg). Realized on the way that I forgot my garmin. Wasn't sure I wanted to futz with it anyway, so that made my decision....no garmin today. Got to race plenty early. Disappointed that I had to leave the Halloween themed mylar balloon I had bought outside transitions....transition director said it was a no go even though the other year's I've done this one they were all over the place. Costumes were A-OK, but not a balloon?? hmmm. Anyway, met up with Julie, Shelley, and Don in transition, and then Bryan and his wife inside the natatorium. So nice to have company in discussing the diabetes related decisions that we have to make.
Event warmup:

Swam about 150 meters. It's funny, I can feel where my stress points are when I get in the water, and it's nice to be able to shake them out a little.
Swim
  • 07m 13s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, that was a little disappointing. I got jammed up pretty good at the wall on the last few laps, and also mid-lap a couple times with folks swimming on the left for way too long. But such is life in a pool swim, and it's a lot less stressful than OW.
What would you do differently?:

Probably start a little faster...think I took it too easy in the first 100 or so. But did fell pretty relaxed all the way.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Not bad for me. At least not long enough to have made breakfast or do my nails. Remembered pump!

I'm OK with this one.
Bike
  • 44m 45s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Ha, the bike leg was my strongest relative to my AG of the 3 events. I don't think that has EVER happened. OK, that's because my run was so slow, but bike pace was good for me, so I'll celebrate that! So nice to see Kerry there cheering for me. He wasn't sure he was going to come, so a nice surprise.

I usually feel like I turn/corner pretty well, but just felt extra cautious today and also didn't gear down quite enough so a little ragged.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

LOL, I could not find the end of one of my shoe laces. It was tucked up and sort of wrapped around the tongue of my shoe. Otherwise, this went OK.

Check to make sure my shoe laces are not all tangled up inside the shoes.
Run
  • 32m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Yes, I knew this would be ugly. Honestly didn't really push it and walked a few of the uphills.

Nothing really given that I've been running 6 ish miles a week. Have simply not been the same since Cowtown (stress fx, exhaustion, piriformis, now left arch). Need to figure out what to do re: my arch and hopefully get back to rebuilding.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Julie & Shelley and grabbed a shower and a cup of coffee at the natatorium. Back outside and found Don, but never found Bryan. Took a few more pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training and no real plan on bike/swim. Just did enough to get by and set myself up to have a fun sprint. I'm also heavier than I need to be to perform really well (for me).

Event comments:

I did enjoy the race, but felt that it had lost a little of the fun vibe that I've come to expect form DA races. No jokes from the announcer, not a lot of music, and wouldn't let me bring my Halloween balloon into transition. Not a huge deal, but this event in particular used to have an extra laid back/fun feel to it. Wondering if the partnership w/ Playtri is influencing that. Overall well done, and I do like the venue. Officials handled our needs re: insulin pumps well, and that is always appreciated.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:13 | 300 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Average
Well, that was a little disappointing. I got jammed up pretty good at the wall on the last few laps, and also mid-lap a couple times with folks swimming on the left for way too long. But such is life in a pool swim, and it's a lot less stressful than OW.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:45 | 12.6 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Good
Hm...event literature said course was 12.6 miles, but calc of pace/mile is off in the race results. I'm going with total time per race results / 12.6 miles, which means I averaged almost 17 mph. VERY happy with that pace!
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops. Road was mostly dry after thunderstorms last night. Light mist quit before the bike started, yay! A few hills on Bear Creek Pkwy, but otherwise pretty fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:34 | 03.1 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 23/189
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on paved paths with a few hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-27 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Monster Triathlon – Keller

2013-10-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4885558

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon – Keller
Way to go girl! Been thinking about you this week. Not a bad race for not much training. Great bike leg too!
2013-10-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Congrats, Carol!!! Way to get out there and get it done.
2013-10-28 12:56 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon – .Keller
Sweetie, I know that you have been disappointed not being able to run like you want but dang, that is a great race! So glad that you were able to go and have fun and be with friends. Glad the bike leg went so well! Way to go out there and enjoy the race.
2013-10-28 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Carol, sometimes it's just about showing up. That 2nd-to-last hill on the bike came at the wrong time. My legs were already feeling lactate build-up from passing people on hills who were going too slow to ride 3 bike lengths behind, but too fast to make it a comfortable pass. I waited for a good long straightaway at the end so I could coast and rest my legs and it never came. I'm with you on holding back on the ride---after the storm I kept thinking I'd hit a patch of wet road. I was just glad it warmed up once we hit the bike section, as riding in wind in a wet tri suit would have sucked.

What's your next one? You know I like to copy the 'cool kids'. :-)

And let's hear it for the showing of four type 1 diabetic triathletes. We are Everywhere... :-)

Don

Edited by muchow 2013-10-28 1:20 PM
2013-10-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: muchow

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Well done Carol

2013-10-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thank you so much for your kind words! Life and this tri stuff have lots of ups and downs, but they are all better when shared with each of you .
2013-10-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: muchow

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by muchow

What's your next one? You know I like to copy the 'cool kids'. :-)

And let's hear it for the showing of four type 1 diabetic triathletes. We are Everywhere... :-)

Don

LOL, yes, us T1's were there in force! So nice to not be the only one puzzling about what to do w/ pump, when to disconnect, whether to bolus, etc.!

No idea on next event. Still trying to figure out how to get my running game back. No cool kid here...just trying to hang in and be healthy. I have a feeling you are going to have a really great 2014 season!
2014-02-20 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4885558

User image

Being an aspiring sprint triathlete, reading about your race report gives me a feeling of what it takes to run a tri.
All the best with your training Carol

- Fellow Texan Kumar :-)
2014-02-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: tnkumar

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Kumar! I'm looking forward to reading your race reports....Cowtown and your first tri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon – Keller Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Monster Triathlon – Keller

Started by jbrobston
Views: 1235 Posts: 3

2011-10-31 4:36 PM squirt

Started by Stude
Views: 1189 Posts: 4

2011-10-31 8:57 PM Stude

Started by F1longhorn
Views: 1470 Posts: 4

2011-10-31 7:18 PM jbrobston

Started by ashort33
Views: 1797 Posts: 9

2011-10-31 3:56 PM squirt

Started by squirt
Views: 1541 Posts: 4

2011-10-30 9:24 PM Stude
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon