Greenville Track Club
41F / 5C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 78/1133
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5:30, took a shower, had some iced coffee and a bagel with cocoa spread.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay warm! Man, it was so cold...At about 7:40, Nate and I went for a short warm-up run, but I didn't feel any warmer when I was done.
Run
  • 1h 39m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I put myself near the front, but not at the front; I didn't want to be in a huge traffic jam to start the race. From the start, I just ran, always trying to go hard, without going too hard. I didn't wear a HR, partly because I didn't want to psych myself out, and partly because I knew the cold weather would make it all wonky. The first mile was downhill, so I tried to use it to my advantage. It turned out to be my fastest mile, but that was ok, because I had energy and wanted to use the terrain. I actually tried to use the downhills to my advantage the whole race; it was free speed and a chance to let my legs loosen up some; I think it definitely helped. I warmed up after a couple miles, and then we joined up with the folks running the 10K. I liked this a lot; there's nothing better for confidence than passing hundreds of people!
The rest of the race was uneventful until about mile 8 or so, when my nemesis showed up. This was the first race I've had someone so clearly pace off me. We literally ran next to each for about 5-6 miles, right up to the finish line. We really never spoke, here was our entire conversation:
Me: "This hill is gonna be tough"
Him: "Yep"
  • Him: "Don't let me mess you up. I'm pacing off you."
    Me: "No problem. I'm just going hard enough to hold"
  • Me: "Ok, here's where we get some speed." -I knew there was a long downhill at about mile 10

We were neck and neck, until he managed to out kick me at the very end, finishing a few seconds ahead. Part of me wanted to be bothered that he beat me, but I also wouldn't have gone as hard for most of the race if he hadn't been with me, so I'm ok with it. In a race, I'd always rather have someone push me.
    My legs were pretty beat for the last couple miles, but I still managed to hold my pace, which I'm happy about.
    What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I blew even my most optimistic expectations out of the water. I wanted to beat 1:50, which I'd run on a training run. I thought that on a good day, I might be able to get around 1:45. Then, Randy, one of my BT mentors, predicted 1:43, which I didn't think I was capable of.
    During the race, I decided to never look at my time; I just ran hard enough that I could hold that pace, and I figured the time would work itself out, which it did.
    Post race
    Warm down:

I was dead. My legs have never hurt that badly. I grabbed a bunch of food, and sat down and starting eating and drinking. I was freezing, of course!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing I can think of.

Event comments:

I love this race, and the course. I'll definitely plan on doing this race far into the future!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-26 12:00 AM
    Running
    01:39:05 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/
    Overall: 78/1133
    Performance: Good
    Course: rolling hills
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 5
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2013-10-27 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Collierville, Tennessee
    Subject: Spinx Run Fest Half Marathon

2013-10-27 3:28 PM
    in reply to: #4885608

User image

Master
    South Alabama
    Subject: RE: Spinx Run Fest Half Marathon

Great job Jamie! Next time I'll predict 1:35 and you will be sub 1:30. Impressive.

2013-10-27 3:45 PM
    in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Collierville, Tennessee
    Too much pressure!
    2013-10-28 9:29 AM
    in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC

great race! sounds like you raced it pretty smart.  

good idea with the arm warmers; i wish i had though of that.... it was COLD

2013-10-28 9:36 AM
    in reply to: #4885608

User image

New user
    It was really cold! Glad I wore long sleeves! Stayed pretty comfortable except before starting and after finishing.
    2013-10-28 11:08 AM
    in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
    AWESOME Job Jamie!!! Congrats on exceeding your time expectations?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Spinx Run Fest Half Marathon Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Spinx Run Fest Half Marathon

Started by WoodrowCall
    Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2012-10-29 9:12 PM WoodrowCall

Started by Nittany85
    Views: 995 Posts: 1

2010-03-19 4:11 PM Nittany85

Started by cparnell
    Views: 1448 Posts: 1

2008-10-26 6:25 PM cparnell

Started by gair70.3
    Views: 1015 Posts: 1

2007-10-30 4:45 AM gair70.3

Started by SuzanneS
    Views: 1748 Posts: 6

2007-10-30 7:36 AM KathyG
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 24, 2010
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
    author : Ali Winslow
    I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
    date : November 17, 2008
    author : mat steinmetz
    comments : 7
    I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
    author : Ontherun
    Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
    date : January 29, 2006
    author : sl2302
    I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 24, 2005
    author : mikericci
    This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
    date : October 2, 2005
    author : smeeko
    comments : 2
    I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
    author : ewkfit
    My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.