General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a power meter....what does it mean Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Training with a power meter....what does it mean
Originally posted by Fred D
>

John did you see the stuff by Jackmott on ST about mean maximal power? That's what I've been using instead of testing. Pretty interesting actually.

Yeah, I read through it, and it is an interesting approach. I sold my PM and am selling my bike, so it's academic interest at the moment.

Bryan does use a PM, though, the last I checked. I could be wrong though.

John

2013-10-30 10:09 AM

User image

Pro

My kid has a measured FTP of 310.  We use a computrainer and HR monitor so that he can get used to the numbers on a trainer......but while he is working on that equipment he is constantly asked about RPE....and then given feedback on what the actual HR and Watts look like.  The initial intent was to get him set up with power meters on his bikes....but as he has learned to feel RPE we have backed off of that plan.  He wears neither a HR monitor nor has measured power on his bike when he races, but wears a HR monitor about every 3rd ride or so.  He does ALOT of training on a closed 4 mile loop near our home......he has learned to hit target times/numbers really well by riding the same course over and over while monitoring his RPE.  The repetition on a known distance has really helped him get a feel for his level of exertion as he learns to pace his distances. 

2013-10-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by tkd.teacher

Originally posted by Fred D
>

John did you see the stuff by Jackmott on ST about mean maximal power? That's what I've been using instead of testing. Pretty interesting actually.

Yeah, I read through it, and it is an interesting approach. I sold my PM and am selling my bike, so it's academic interest at the moment.

Bryan does use a PM, though, the last I checked. I could be wrong though.

John

Bryan attempted to use a PM during Kona last year when he borrowed his coach's Cervelo P5. In the end, he never bothered with it during the race and focused on HR. As a side note, during the last race at SOMA, 2 weeks ago, he was having garmin issues and it not syncing with his HR strap and had to go by RPE... eventhough he had a successful race, he thought that he might have gone a little too hard on the bike and ruined his run... he ran a 1:32, poor boy! He has been successful with HR. He posted his HR chart from Kona and it is impressive... locking in the HR at 140 for 5 hours on the bike... that kind of stability is amazing.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-30 10:36 AM
2013-10-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tkd.teacher
Originally posted by Fred D >

Yeah, I read through it, and it is an interesting approach. I sold my PM and am selling my bike, so it's academic interest at the moment. Bryan does use a PM, though, the last I checked. I could be wrong though. John

Due to some circumstances, he had one for a bit, but didn't get much out of it. Don't think he's currently using it. Fred can probably put more details on that.

I believe Starykowicz actually uses power for training, but not racing. He wants the race to go by feel. A few others do this as well. I understand the feel, and keeping the power values out of view, but not so much on not recording the race data at all for analysis later on.

Kienle has tried power, but wasn't working for him, so as far as I know does not use it at all now. Something along the lines of always trying to beat what he did the last workout.

2013-10-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by tomspharmacy

Bryan attempted to use a PM during Kona last year when he borrowed his coach's Cervelo P5. In the end, he never bothered with it during the race and focused on HR. As a side note, during the last race at SOMA, 2 weeks ago, he was having garmin issues and it not syncing with his HR strap and had to go by RPE... eventhough he had a successful race, he thought that he might have gone a little too hard on the bike and ruined his run... he ran a 1:32, poor boy! He has been successful with HR. He posted his HR chart from Kona and it is impressive... locking in the HR at 140 for 5 hours on the bike... that kind of stability is amazing.

Yeah, I volunteered on the water and saw him in T2. Heckled him too

Wish I could "ruin my run" and still finish...what, 7th OA and 1st AG? Something around there anyway...

John
2013-10-30 11:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by brigby1

Kienle has tried power, but wasn't working for him, so as far as I know does not use it at all now. Something along the lines of always trying to beat what he did the last workout.

Yeah, that's always a temptation, to chase the numbers.

John

2013-10-30 11:09 AM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-31 10:59 AM

Master
"This does not mean that we can't have great success without one...."

Nor does it mean that that your will have great success with one

But considering you can try it out for less than a $60 investment or <$40 if you go with an un-branded Asian knock-off cadence/speed sensor it may be worth a try.
2013-10-31 11:04 AM
in reply to: pschriver

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by pschriver

But considering you can try it out for less than a $60 investment or <$40 if you go with an un-branded Asian knock-off cadence/speed sensor it may be worth a try.

^^ a PM for $60? Where?
2013-10-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: tjfry

Master
Originally posted by tjfry

Originally posted by pschriver

^^ a PM for $60? Where?

Virtual Power with an ANT+ Garmin GSC-10 and a free download of Golden Cheetah v3. I use it in combination with my wired powertap on a fluid trainer and the readings are essentially the same. I like having the readings on the TV so I usually focus mostly on the virtual power number anyway. It is also easier to read. It also forces me to look forward which is what we do outside. I had a miserable early season HIM one year from a sore neck which I'm sure was from spending the winter looking down at my meter and getting used to that position. Since then, I make a special effort to make sure I look forward a lot more on the trainer to build neck strenth..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a power meter....what does it mean Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2403 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 8021 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter Training Suggestions

Started by BlueChip0528
Views: 781 Posts: 3

2008-06-11 9:30 PM BlueChip0528

training or racing with a power meter

Started by trigods
Views: 813 Posts: 5

2008-02-20 5:07 PM KathyG

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1950 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.