General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance only training can break you Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-28 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: Endurance only training can break you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANhIevk-Ow

"In 1985, Chris Hinshaw finished the Ironman in second place, and at the peak of his career, he was one of the best triathletes in the world. But years of endurance training left him brittle and barely functional.

Today, at 50 years old, Hinshaw runs a 4:58 mile.

“The only thing that I’m doing differently is adding CrossFit. That’s it,” he says. “I’m not only functional, I can do things that I could never have imagined myself doing even back when I was a triathlete, back when I was one of the best in the world at it.”"

I'm not suggesting that Crossfit is the only way, but I can tell you that after a year of just endurance training for IMAZ, I felt weak, old, and frail. Contrast to my feeling superhuman before I began...I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free.

2013-10-28 12:10 PM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Endurance only training can break you
nope not going there.
2013-10-28 12:17 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Leegoocrap nope not going there.

:-)

2013-10-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

nope not going there.

Me either, kinda got roasted last time!
2013-10-28 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by Zero2Athlete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANhIevk-Ow

"In 1985, Chris Hinshaw finished the Ironman in second place, and at the peak of his career, he was one of the best triathletes in the world. But years of endurance training left him brittle and barely functional.

Today, at 50 years old, Hinshaw runs a 4:58 mile.

“The only thing that I’m doing differently is adding CrossFit. That’s it,” he says. “I’m not only functional, I can do things that I could never have imagined myself doing even back when I was a triathlete, back when I was one of the best in the world at it.”"

I'm not suggesting that Crossfit is the only way, but I can tell you that after a year of just endurance training for IMAZ, I felt weak, old, and frail. Contrast to my feeling superhuman before I began...I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free.

I'll bite.

Sounds like a veiled attempt at advertising...I think we would all agree that some strength training is beneficial for triathletes, especially as we age. I think most will bristle when it is alleged that crossfit is the better way to train for SBR.

Okay, here we go...

2013-10-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
... sigh

Edited by Dnn 2013-10-28 3:13 PM

2013-10-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Pro

Let the decline continue!

2013-10-28 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I actually see my triathlon training as cross training.  Before, I was just running.  Now, I've added cycling and swimming.  Much better.

Would be good to add some strength in, I suppose.  Really just don't want to take time from the other three (actually three plus - I throw spin in there and do lots of other types of activities, especially in the "off" season - like hiking/canoeing/kayaking while hunting and such).

Balance, Grasshopper. 

I'm in much better shape and condition now that I tri than when I "just" ran.

Not really disagreeing, just saying there are many paths to being "fit."  Do whatever works for you.

Matt

2013-10-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Left Brain

Let the decline continue!

2013-10-28 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I thought only this guy can break you

Edited by cnsegura 2013-10-28 3:15 PM
2013-10-28 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Dnn ... sigh

i didn't think your post needed any editing tbh

2013-10-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trisuppo
Originally posted by Zero2Athlete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANhIevk-Ow"In 1985, Chris Hinshaw finished the Ironman in second place, and at the peak of his career, he was one of the best triathletes in the world. But years of endurance training left him brittle and barely functional. Today, at 50 years old, Hinshaw runs a 4:58 mile. “The only thing that I’m doing differently is adding CrossFit. That’s it,” he says. “I’m not only functional, I can do things that I could never have imagined myself doing even back when I was a triathlete, back when I was one of the best in the world at it.”" I'm not suggesting that Crossfit is the only way, but I can tell you that after a year of just endurance training for IMAZ, I felt weak, old, and frail. Contrast to my feeling superhuman before I began...I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free.
I'll bite. Sounds like a veiled attempt at advertising...I think we would all agree that some strength training is beneficial for triathletes, especially as we age. I think most will bristle when it is alleged that crossfit is the better way to train for SBR. Okay, here we go...

I'll bite too. 

Functional strength training (read: not crossfit) is somewhat necessary for athletes, and the need generally increases with age.

The older athletes that I coach are doing strength training at least 2x weekly - but it is things like planks, lunges, squats, and a few specific exercises to address specific imbalances/weaknesses. Not deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps and snatches...

I do strength training - I mostly address my core because I believe it helps my form in all three disciplines of tri - and I do a short, targeted routine to address the specific causes of my IT band issue. 

2013-10-28 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
I prefer weight training...

Had to get my licks in too... LOL...

Not going there either, I'll let the dog licks its....

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-28 3:54 PM
2013-10-28 5:06 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANhIevk-Ow"In 1985, Chris Hinshaw finished the Ironman in second place, and at the peak of his career, he was one of the best triathletes in the world. But years of endurance training left him brittle and barely functional. Today, at 50 years old, Hinshaw runs a 4:58 mile. “The only thing that I’m doing differently is adding CrossFit. That’s it,” he says. “I’m not only functional, I can do things that I could never have imagined myself doing even back when I was a triathlete, back when I was one of the best in the world at it.”" I'm not suggesting that Crossfit is the only way, but I can tell you that after a year of just endurance training for IMAZ, I felt weak, old, and frail. Contrast to my feeling superhuman before I began...I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free.
I'll bite. Sounds like a veiled attempt at advertising...I think we would all agree that some strength training is beneficial for triathletes, especially as we age. I think most will bristle when it is alleged that crossfit is the better way to train for SBR. Okay, here we go...

I'll bite too. 

Functional strength training (read: not crossfit) is somewhat necessary for athletes, and the need generally increases with age.

The older athletes that I coach are doing strength training at least 2x weekly - but it is things like planks, lunges, squats, and a few specific exercises to address specific imbalances/weaknesses. Not deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps and snatches...

I do strength training - I mostly address my core because I believe it helps my form in all three disciplines of tri - and I do a short, targeted routine to address the specific causes of my IT band issue. 

Do you think that deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps, and snatches don't address your core?
2013-10-28 5:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

nope not going there.

yup.

eta: Ed Whitlock did an AMA on Runner's World. Oddly enough, no one asked him why he wasn't doing CrossFit.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-10-28 5:34 PM
2013-10-28 6:28 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
It's all good. I don't see what the rumpus is about.

2013-10-28 6:28 PM

Veteran
Darn! They took the video down before I could see it.
2013-10-28 6:41 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by Dnn ... sigh

i didn't think your post needed any editing tbh

People get sensitive
2013-10-28 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4886295

User image

Elite
Came into this thread looking for a flip turn debate...never mind...carry on.
2013-10-28 8:01 PM

User image

Pro

I feel old, weak, and frail reading this thread.

2013-10-28 8:03 PM

User image

XXXX only can break/kill you. Substitute XXXX with pretty much anything you want in life. Fat, alcohol, sugar...heck, even good things like too much water can kill you.

Too much crossfit can give you rhabdo...

2013-10-28 8:04 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Originally posted by FELTGood Came into this thread looking for a flip turn debate...never mind...carry on.

Turn IMO

2013-10-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

I'll bite too. 

Do you think that deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps, and snatches don't address your core?

No, I just think they're not necessarily the right intensity and focus for S/B/R - and they require additional equipment that athletes may not have. I do prefer to provide them with comprehensive routines that can be done at home without any additional equipment.

2013-10-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Veiled??? where is it veiled????

also, he is wrong.

2013-10-29 10:29 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

I'll bite too. 

No, I just think they're not necessarily the right intensity and focus for S/B/R - and they require additional equipment that athletes may not have. I do prefer to provide them with comprehensive routines that can be done at home without any additional equipment.

Ben, you know I agree with you on many of the principles regarding the application of strength training for triathletes, but I don't prescribe any of those exercises to triathletes either.  Not necessarily because they're not effective, but because they're more technical, and I'm not there to monitor their technique.  Prescribing simpler exercises that may not have the same benefits, but are less technical in nature is my preference if I'm not there to teach proper technique.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance only training can break you Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Started by fisherman76
Views: 1418 Posts: 8

2012-03-21 12:24 AM Left Brain

Swimming workouts...breaks or no breaks?

Started by EABonney
Views: 1355 Posts: 10

2007-06-26 10:09 PM mman

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1338 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009

Breaking up training - how do you do it.

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1393 Posts: 19

2004-08-11 9:51 PM infosteward

Endurance / Strength Training - Conflict?

Started by malvey
Views: 1212 Posts: 8

2004-01-26 7:51 AM tboepple
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.