45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had to take the bus up to Gills rock
By the time we got up there didn't have a lot of time. Just enough to put some extra gear in a bag for the half way exchange.
Run
  • 9h 04m
  • 50 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to try and maintain 11 min/mile pace, with a slow jog at the end of each mile.After the first few miles I met up with a friend that I missed at the start and we ended up running together. Having someone to talk with made the miles go a lot faster. I was a little worried a few times when I checked my watch to see we were running under 10 min pace. But was feeling ok so I just went with it. It was just so great having someone to run with I just wanted to keep it up till at least after 30 miles. I had my water pack filled with ice tea and pockets filled with fig newtons, but they work for me so I tried to make sure I was eating.

20 - 30 mph winds out the the NW, good thing we were heading south. A few times we headed west into the wind but it could have been worse.

As we got closer to 20 miles I started looking forward to the 28 mile mark were they would have soup and sandwiches.
Passed through the half way mark in around 4:20, so I felt good about the fact that I had banked an hour for my goal of making it under 10 hours.
At 28 miles had some food and changed out of the Hokas, hated to do it but I was getting a blister.
After a little longer stop it was very hard to get moving again. The change of shoes felt a little tight, thought I would wait till the next exchange to loosen them up. They started to feel better until the blister popped. Stopped at one the aid stations and they put a bandaid on it.

After 30 miles I felt like my pace was slowing a little and let my running partner go ahead, I didn't want to slow him. Now I was focused on the 40 mile mark. If I could hold on I had plenty of time to get in by 10 hrs. The next couple stations I was in and out before my firend and started to get a little ahead of him. Legs were hurting a lot so I took a couple more asprin, not sure how much they would help

It was nice having the relay going on, it help put more people out on the course so I wouldn't have to run alone. Our race numbers had Solo on them so they would cheer us on.

After the 30 mile mark I started taking my 1 min walk at the end of each mile. My watch mile markers were about 1/2 mile off from the course mile markers so I took my breaks with the course markers which made it a little harder to know what my pace was.

After I hit mile 40 I couldn't believe how good I was feeling, even though my legs hurt a lot I was still keeping a pace under 11 min. At this point I started counting down to mile 45, 10 miles was still too big of a number. At 45 I felt like I could pick the pace up. I couldn't believe after 45 miles I was able to run 10 min miles. The final mile was around 9 min pace. Couldn't believe I was coming in under 11 min pace. It was so great finishing my first 50 mile run.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I could have had a better race.
It would have been nice if I could have refilled my pack with more tea instead of the water and gatorade.
Post race
Warm down:

After i finiished I waited for my friend to come in, he was only 9 minutes back.
It was so cool having runners from the teams come to me after the race and tell me how great I did. One team said I looked really good out there. They saw younger (does that mean I am old?) runners out there that looked like they were dead.

Maybe this distance is a better fit for me than the marathon.

Last updated: 2013-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
09:04:00 | 50 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Great course. Enough hills to keep it challenging. Great scenery with the fall colors. A few places the cars were a little close.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-28 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: The Fall 50

2013-11-06 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4886325

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: The Fall 50

Very nice job, LumberDad!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Fall 50 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Fall 50

Started by djdavey
Views: 1063 Posts: 2

2013-10-28 2:09 PM Lumber Dad

The Fall 50

Started by webertp
Views: 728 Posts: 1

2012-10-22 7:27 AM webertp

The Fall 50

Started by djdavey
Views: 1915 Posts: 11

2011-10-28 8:58 PM JBougher

The Fall 50

Started by djdavey
Views: 2313 Posts: 22

2010-10-31 12:23 AM krystyna47

Door County Fall 50

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 2578 Posts: 16

2007-10-31 1:51 PM Chippy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.