General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 half marathons 15 days apart? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-28 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: 2 half marathons 15 days apart?
Was wondering how doable this would be for the winter....I've done 5 HIMs, doing my 1st IM in less than 3 weeks. I've also done a HM and 1 full marathon. Been @ this for just over 4 yrs. now. Anyone else have any experience to share?

2013-10-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: todds

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: 2 half marathons 15 days apart?

IMO, easily doable.  Racing 13.1 doesn't beat you up nearly like 26.2 does.

2013-10-28 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i guess it depends on how hard you race.  i ran a half marathon smack in the middle of my marathon build - so one saturday i ran 16, 8 days later (sun) i did the half marathon, the next saturday i ran 18.  I really only skipped one or 2 one hour runs after the HM and had no problems running the 18 later (at least, no problems that were fitness related, TMI)

2013-10-28 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Should be no problem at all I think.
2013-10-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Seattle

It's absolutely doable, although, you may want to take the first one easy and race the second one if you are concerned with performance. Trying to race them both may prove to be challenging. 

2013-10-28 3:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

I just did 2, but 8 days apart.  And then did a 16 mile run yesterday.

It's not that bad if you don't go out at some Prefontaine suicide pace.

2013-10-28 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

With the training I'd assume you've done over the past 4 years, given your races, I'd say 2 half marys, two weeks apart would be easy-peasy. 

2013-10-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Sous

With the training I'd assume you've done over the past 4 years, given your races, I'd say 2 half marys, two weeks apart would be easy-peasy

x2

And.... bwaaahaahahaa!  I was thinking the exact same thing as your entire post.  Right down to the "easy-peasy," but then threw in "lemon squeezy."  Gotta have that.

To the OP, your long base and experience with the distance should make these non-events (or events, depending on how you look at it).  You do, as Salty said, need to think about which to run and which to race if you want to PR.  If you don't care about time and just want to race (hey, that's fun!), then have at it in both and just modify your expectations for the second one's results, I'd think.

Matt

2013-10-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I just did two half marathons in a 6 day span last month (see my signature below). It is very doable. Train as normal leading up to the first race & treat it like any other training run. Meaning, don't push yourself to try & PR, but you can still push yourself a little. Then start to taper before the second race & go all out & kick butt in that one.

I took a week off after the second one & then went right back into full marathon training. I ran 20 miles yesterday.

Edited by Meathead 2013-10-28 3:42 PM
2013-10-28 3:46 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Originally posted by Meathead I just did two half marathons in a 6 day span last month (see my signature below). It is very doable. Train as normal leading up to the first race & treat it like any other training run. Meaning, don't push yourself to try & PR, but you can still push yourself a little. Then start to taper before the second race & go all out & kick butt in that one. I took a week off after the second one & then went right back into full marathon training. I ran 20 miles yesterday.

Your second half in your stretch was my first.

And that day SUCKED.  Too hot/humid.

2013-10-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by Meathead I just did two half marathons in a 6 day span last month (see my signature below). It is very doable. Train as normal leading up to the first race & treat it like any other training run. Meaning, don't push yourself to try & PR, but you can still push yourself a little. Then start to taper before the second race & go all out & kick butt in that one. I took a week off after the second one & then went right back into full marathon training. I ran 20 miles yesterday.

Your second half in your stretch was my first.

And that day SUCKED.  Too hot/humid.

Dear god, you're telling me! My goal for that race was to break 2 hours & hopefully get close to 1:55. I knew I was in trouble from the start when they just herded everyone to the start line, including the idiots in costumes, drinking beers, and 5K runners together. I was weaving left & right all the way to the dome. Then, coming out of Audubon Park, I had to strip my shirt off because it weighed 20 pounds & was causing a case of BNS (bleeding nipple syndrome)!

I almost took the guys standing outside Delmonicos up on the free shot of Whiskey. By that time, I knew that breaking 2 hours was out of reach.

All in all, the Jazz Half is a race I will do every year now. The race management is a cluster & not the best, but the course is unbeatable & makes it totally worth it.

2013-10-28 4:17 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Originally posted by MeatheadDear god, you're telling me! My goal for that race was to break 2 hours & hopefully get close to 1:55. I knew I was in trouble from the start when they just herded everyone to the start line, including the idiots in costumes, drinking beers, and 5K runners together. I was weaving left & right all the way to the dome. Then, coming out of Audubon Park, I had to strip my shirt off because it weighed 20 pounds & was causing a case of BNS (bleeding nipple syndrome)! I almost took the guys standing outside Delmonicos up on the free shot of Whiskey. By that time, I knew that breaking 2 hours was out of reach. All in all, the Jazz Half is a race I will do every year now. The race management is a cluster & not the best, but the course is unbeatable & makes it totally worth it.

Last year I PR'ed that race (1:39).  It was run on October 27th and was probably 30 degrees cooler at the start of the race.  This year it's a training run for me, but I still only went 1:55.

A weekend later I did the Gulf Coast Half in Mandeville, got some really nice weather, and went 1:45.

The course for the Jazz is tough to beat though.  Running St. Charles Ave. and Audubon Park is awesome.

2013-10-28 4:22 PM

User image

Pro

I'm old and recovery pretty slowly.  it takes me a good day to fully recover for every mile I run at race pace.  by two weeks, I'm fully recovered from a hard run HM.  Now, the question is, do you want to choose one of those that will be your A race.  The one where you plan on setting a PR.  If it's the 1st one, then you'll want to execute your training plan and taper prior to it.  You actually lose fitness during the taper, but you gain 'freshness'.  If you look at your first one as your A race, then you will likely be a little less fit for your second.  

However, if you choose your second as your A race- that works as well.  you just don't taper for the 1st one.  you may not run the 1st one quite as fast (and, if you plan on your 2nd as your A race, you should back off a bit), but then that 1st one becomes training for your second.

anyway- the answer is yes. you can do 2 HM's 2 weeks apart.  the only question is how you want to approach it and which one is your ultimate goal race.

2013-10-28 4:29 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Great stuff here and thank you! I was gonna make the 2nd one my A race(they are all A races too me, but, I get it!). Exactly what I was looking for. They are both smaller races but the 2nd one is smaller and local. Probably be a lot of people I know there....I didn't think all out for both would be possible or smart.
2013-10-28 4:31 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

Totally doable given your fitness level. I just did 2 HM's the last two weekends, my first ever stand alone HM's. My goal was to get a true HM number to base my training off of this winter so I did one on 10/19 with somewhat of a taper going in, running each day and took Friday off and swam only. 10/19 ended up being a short course by at least 0.5 mi and they had me coming in at 1:32 so I figure the 'true' time was 1:34. I was happy with the performance but wanted a true course time so I signed up for one on 10/26 and ran that this past weekend. My girls got to dress in their costumes and it was a spectacular day, came in at 1:35 so now I have a number to go off of. The week between, I did a full rest Sunday, ran 4 miles M-Th (zone 2), Swam M and F and no biking. No issues when it came to fatigue or aches.

Take it fairly easy between the races, take at least a day off after the first race and you should be fine. I did both all out as I was after a time, so no reason you can't do the same. Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 half marathons 15 days apart? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Please tear apart my Half Marathon pacing strategy

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 4830 Posts: 17

2010-03-22 4:13 PM zionvier

Oly and half marathon 2 weeks apart??

Started by annicola
Views: 902 Posts: 10

2009-07-30 9:34 AM mmrocker13

Half Marathon - Olympic Tri Two Weeks Apart

Started by mr2tony
Views: 807 Posts: 4

2007-05-08 12:11 PM mr2tony

15 days to race day

Started by mcbill98
Views: 1226 Posts: 10

2006-09-02 1:34 AM Nob

Countdown to IMAZ - 15 Days

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 961 Posts: 12

2005-03-26 9:44 AM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.