General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your most recent training breakthrough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-30 9:56 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: What's your most recent training breakthrough?
I am getting going again after some time off. I did Ironman 70.3 Raleigh on June 2 and then took time off from everything. I tried to start back running in August but hurt myself in the first week, so I basically was back to square 1. I actually started out with jog/walking around a track for 2mi. I have not done much milage but it has slowly increased.

Aug 49mi
Sep 109mi
Oct 95mi (as of yesterday)

Today I decided I was going to do a little time trial to get a grasp on where I am fitness wise and so I can be a little more specific in my training. I did a 2400m time trial on the track. I negative split each 400 and ran about 20sec quicker than I thought I would. My result today suggests I should be in around 16:40 5Km shape.
I was quite stoked considering the little training i have done.

Not an earth shattering breakthrough, but a nice little pick me up to move forward with training.

2013-10-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
It might have been said, but BREAKTHROUGH is anytime that you have a good race with a PR, and then when you recover and train afterwards the new level of fitness stays with you, thus you have a new base fitness and can work on new goals.
2013-10-31 4:19 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tomspharmacy It might have been said, but BREAKTHROUGH is anytime that you have a good race with a PR, and then when you recover and train afterwards the new level of fitness stays with you, thus you have a new base fitness and can work on new goals.

I think then, to be more specific, I brought my marathon time from a 3:34 to a 3:13 in 16 months. That has probably been my biggest breakthrough 

2013-10-31 11:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by tomspharmacy It might have been said, but BREAKTHROUGH is anytime that you have a good race with a PR, and then when you recover and train afterwards the new level of fitness stays with you, thus you have a new base fitness and can work on new goals.

I think then, to be more specific, I brought my marathon time from a 3:34 to a 3:13 in 16 months. That has probably been my biggest breakthrough 

That's impressive
2013-11-01 7:59 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
A couple of things:

Breakthoguh result at half marathon distance. Ran a 1:51 which for me is awesome. Breakthoguh is gaining confidence I can maintain high effort for two hours without any form of injury (was sore!!)

Also in the pool I realised I have been kicking far too fast and wasting a lot of energy. I saw a swimsmooth tip about kicking slower and in the pool it traslated into much greater endurance. My Wednesday swim session gave me the feeling I can taken on my first 1km session soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your most recent training breakthrough? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Recent flu and training volume

Started by runk8run
Views: 463 Posts: 2

2012-07-21 6:25 PM newtriguy

Swim question for "beginners" who've made recent breakthroughs

Started by nc452010
Views: 1380 Posts: 18

2010-08-03 9:09 PM jonathan.evitts

What's your recent success Pages: 1 2 3

Started by threeladsdad
Views: 3013 Posts: 56

2010-07-02 7:48 AM NickW

Training breakthrough

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 722 Posts: 9

2006-05-12 9:27 PM vortmax

Anyone ever have an amazing training breakthrough?

Started by donmck
Views: 761 Posts: 10

2005-09-01 8:01 AM p4406
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : October 4, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
For a pro, racing when you aren't 100% is counterproductive.
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : August 15, 2011
Kyle looks back, halfway through his second pro season.
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : July 18, 2011
How triathlon and professional racing helped Kyle grow up -- within the fantasy world of being a pro
date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season