General Discussion Triathlon Talk » app for tracking athletes at IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-28 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: app for tracking athletes at IM

I'm going to IMFL to spectate and cheer on some good friends and many BTers.

Is there an easy way to track folks. I have found the normal WTC athlete tracker on my laptop pretty much sucks so suspect it isn't great on a smart phon. I recently got a smart phone.

Any other options?

We have about 25 BTers racing in PCB Saturday?

2013-10-29 7:05 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Subject: RE: app for tracking athletes at IM
there is IronApp - I think its called - it is just WTC races, there is also one called MyAthlete or something like that - the IronApp costs money, the MyAthlete is free (or really cheap) - they both allow for tracking multiple athletes.

the IronApp seems to be more comprehensive for ppl competing, the MyAthlete a bit more hit/miss - depending on if the race is listed, and they have a profile etc
2013-10-29 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by KathyG

Is there an easy way to track folks. I have found the normal WTC athlete tracker on my laptop pretty much sucks so suspect it isn't great on a smart phon. I recently got a smart phone.

Any other options?

Kathy, I used the MYAthlete tracker for IM WI last month and it worked great. It isn't free. The athlete wears the GPS unit on a race belt (provided) and then the family can follow you on phone, laptop ect...

From the athlete's prospective, I didn't like it. I didn't like the unit on my race belt especially during the run. However, the family loved it. They said it worked well all day and made it very easy for them to follow me. Also it was nice that friends and family that couldn't be there could easily follow at home. Because of that I would use it again.

I think it was about $45.00. After I've written this I realize that you are talking about a race this weekend. I'm sorry, this is something that you need to order/reserve a few weeks ahead of time. Oh well, maybe you or someone else can use it in the future! Have fun in Florida, wish I could be there!
2013-10-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

Champion
MA

I've used that tracking system in previous IMs and was a beta tester for IMLP '08.

I was hoping to have some type of app that I can track multiple people easier than navigating the IM webstie and using their track athlete.

2013-10-29 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
The website is getting better than it used to be. They do have a favorites list now that allows you to just view your favorites. Which is a little nicer but still need to be done from the website and only updates AG place and rank at the end of each event.

You would think that for all the money that WTC makes they would have a mobile app with live updates of place and rank at every timing mat.
2013-10-29 12:34 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by TriBoilermaker

Any other options?

Kathy, I used the MYAthlete tracker for IM WI last month and it worked great. It isn't free. The athlete wears the GPS unit on a race belt (provided) and then the family can follow you on phone, laptop ect...

From the athlete's prospective, I didn't like it. I didn't like the unit on my race belt especially during the run. However, the family loved it. They said it worked well all day and made it very easy for them to follow me. Also it was nice that friends and family that couldn't be there could easily follow at home. Because of that I would use it again.

I think it was about $45.00. After I've written this I realize that you are talking about a race this weekend. I'm sorry, this is something that you need to order/reserve a few weeks ahead of time. Oh well, maybe you or someone else can use it in the future! Have fun in Florida, wish I could be there!

I'm using a MyAthleteTracker for IMAZ. Are you able to take the GPS unit off the belt? Reason for asking is I'll be running with a FuelBelt and would like to stash it in there

2013-10-29 1:02 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by devilfan02  I'm using a MyAthleteTracker for IMAZ. Are you able to take the GPS unit off the belt? Reason for asking is I'll be running with a FuelBelt and would like to stash it in there

Yes it slides off the provided race belt easily. You just have to make sure it isn't covered up or enclosed in another pouch. It should slide right onto another belt.

2013-10-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

If you have an iphone, download the IronTrac app. It costs $0.99 and pulls info from ironman provided data. It seems to be hit or miss at times. One great feature is you can set up a "watch list" for the people you know that are racing. Can search by bib # or last name. Once the watch list is saved, you can easily go back and forth between athletes. Athlete info is typically available the day before the race so you can pre-load your watch list.

I do know that Ironman has been testing some new athlete trackers at some races. At Ironman Louisville, IronTrac sent a message the night before the race that their tracker would not work due to a new tracker WTC was piloting. However, I think WTC went back to normal tracker last minute and IronTrac worked fine. Occasionally updates take a while to post - I was about 3-4 miles into the run at IMLOU before my final bike split showed up. But the final 2-3 splits on the run worked perfectly allowing my wife to be right at the finish line as I came down the chute.

I don't think IronTrac has an app available for Droid users at this time.

Edited by jkintn 2013-10-29 1:19 PM
2013-10-29 1:40 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by devilfan02
Originally posted by TriBoilermaker

Any other options?

Kathy, I used the MYAthlete tracker for IM WI last month and it worked great. It isn't free. The athlete wears the GPS unit on a race belt (provided) and then the family can follow you on phone, laptop ect... From the athlete's prospective, I didn't like it. I didn't like the unit on my race belt especially during the run. However, the family loved it. They said it worked well all day and made it very easy for them to follow me. Also it was nice that friends and family that couldn't be there could easily follow at home. Because of that I would use it again. I think it was about $45.00. After I've written this I realize that you are talking about a race this weekend. I'm sorry, this is something that you need to order/reserve a few weeks ahead of time. Oh well, maybe you or someone else can use it in the future! Have fun in Florida, wish I could be there!
I'm using a MyAthleteTracker for IMAZ. Are you able to take the GPS unit off the belt? Reason for asking is I'll be running with a FuelBelt and would like to stash it in there

Yes.   They give you a little pouch and you can put it on any race belt.  I don't have a fuel belt so I am not sure how big the band is but you could also take it out of the pouch if you wanted to.

2013-10-29 1:51 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
As others have said you can remove it from the provided belt and the pouch it comes in. The problem is that it has to be exposed (not in a pocket). So I really couldn't figure out a more comfortable way to wear it. On the bike it wasn't a problem, but during the run I didn't like it flopping around and I had a hard time finding a comfortable place to put it. I found the best for me was on the front of my hip. As long as I could keep it there it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately for me it didn't want to stay there very long and I had to keep sliding it back there. I would use it again however, because the family raved about how it was great for them. If they could come up with a smaller (lighter) unit that would be perfect.
2013-10-29 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by TriBoilermaker As others have said you can remove it from the provided belt and the pouch it comes in. The problem is that it has to be exposed (not in a pocket). So I really couldn't figure out a more comfortable way to wear it. On the bike it wasn't a problem, but during the run I didn't like it flopping around and I had a hard time finding a comfortable place to put it. I found the best for me was on the front of my hip. As long as I could keep it there it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately for me it didn't want to stay there very long and I had to keep sliding it back there. I would use it again however, because the family raved about how it was great for them. If they could come up with a smaller (lighter) unit that would be perfect.
I think I have used it for 5 races and its never bothered me one little bit.  Its really not that big but it does have to be able to "see" the satellite.  The instructions that come with it are pretty easy.  I think if you use it on your own race belt rather than the one they give you which may be stretched out, it might work better.  If you are used to running with a fuel belt I don't think the GPS unit will bother you

2013-10-29 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have a droid phone so irontrak isn't an option.

I will try and get my husband to use his work I phone to track my friends.

2013-10-29 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Ironman live site or Irontrac are the only choices at this point. It is too late to get the myathletelive. 

Sadly I wrote an application that gets the results the same way Irontrac is doing it except mine would update Facebook, Twitter, send text messages and emails.  Unfortunately WTC in their infinite wisdom keeps changing the results page and after IM Louisville I called it quits because every Sunday was a fulltime job to make sure WTC didn't screw something up that would break my application.  I tried over and over to get WTC to either partner with me or even buy the app from me but that have no interest.  It's not rocket science and I don't understand why they have yet to offer this service but it is what it is.  I've debated firing the site back up and lot's of folks want to use it but I've tried a donation model and was shocked that less than 15% of the people that used it came back and donated. Then I tried a payment model and the second WTC screws everything up everyone wants their money back because it didn't work.  If 1 person disputes the charge that costs $25 and most people would never pay $25 for this kind of service.  $5 - $10 is the most that people would pay and many of those people think it should be free. 

Now that I've got that off my chest. Maybe, just maybe WTC will get their act together but if the reliability of Ironman live is any indication then I would trust the service.

2013-10-29 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4886837

User image

Expert
I remember your app and I used it for my first IM. And yes. I did make a donation .

Since I have used IronTrac with decent success. Only as good as the ironman feed but worked great at IM last year.
2013-10-30 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by TriBoilermaker As others have said you can remove it from the provided belt and the pouch it comes in. The problem is that it has to be exposed (not in a pocket). So I really couldn't figure out a more comfortable way to wear it. On the bike it wasn't a problem, but during the run I didn't like it flopping around and I had a hard time finding a comfortable place to put it. I found the best for me was on the front of my hip. As long as I could keep it there it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately for me it didn't want to stay there very long and I had to keep sliding it back there. I would use it again however, because the family raved about how it was great for them. If they could come up with a smaller (lighter) unit that would be perfect.
I think I have used it for 5 races and its never bothered me one little bit.  Its really not that big but it does have to be able to "see" the satellite.  The instructions that come with it are pretty easy.  I think if you use it on your own race belt rather than the one they give you which may be stretched out, it might work better.  If you are used to running with a fuel belt I don't think the GPS unit will bother you

It's a personal thing. I didn't like it and I know others have complained about the same problem (bouncing). I don't like a fuel belt either so that probably explains that.
2013-11-04 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

DH and I used Myathlete live at IMLT - and weren't happy.  We both train with run belts, but this bounced around a lot.  Also tough on the bike, with the layers of clothes being moved around for weather changes.  We also had huge issues with reception, and with the rolling start, it was off all day - not only with times, but with distances. Did not help our fans at all - in fact it worried them on occasion!  I did contact them, and they were very responsive.  Promised a refund, which I haven't seen yet (!)

2013-11-05 6:17 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I bought a Garmin GTU 10 for IMAZ last year. I got it for about $100 I think and I can use it whenever I go on long rides or runs. My wife can track where I am and I also use it for longer races. It is very small and fit into the back pocket on my jersey and works well. 

2013-11-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I've been thinking about getting one of these for MTB and hiking. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for triathlons and it should be legal since it doesn't do 2-way communication.  Anyone else ever use one?

http://www.findmespot.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=29

2013-11-13 5:44 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I got my refund - all is well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » app for tracking athletes at IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Using cell phone GPS for IM athlete tracking

Started by brown_dog_us
Views: 1821 Posts: 7

2009-09-21 11:20 AM toddg

Athlete Tracking

Started by irondreams
Views: 1235 Posts: 4

2008-10-05 3:45 PM katherinel

IMKY Athlete Tracking

Started by Sparty
Views: 1968 Posts: 21

2008-08-17 9:20 PM razorxp

IMCDA Athlete Tracking Question

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1211 Posts: 3

2008-06-11 8:48 PM sausage

IMLou athlete tracking

Started by HankJKy
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2007-08-21 2:54 PM magik611
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete, you are unlikely obese, but you may have concerns about your weight or have relatives who struggle with their weight.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : October 20, 2008
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.

date : September 3, 2005
The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as coffee) as part of a sports diet and to help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.
date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.

date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.