General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 13h 39m
Overall Rank = 316/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

bagel, granola bar, G2
Event warmup:

Freeze my butt off for a couple hours on the beach until race start
Swim
  • 1h 14m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had no idea what to sight. There were people everywhere and only one buoy (at the turn). By the time I got where I could see the turn buoy, I was way to the right. I was definitely holding back and taking it easy in order to be fresh for the B & R. I had to stop 5 times to either clear fog from goggles or try to figure out which way to go... with no idea what to sight, I just looked for where the most people were and went that way. Also, the sun was blinding me on the right sight about half way down the first leg. My toes got numb towards the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Try to scope out the course more in advance or ask around and get advice on what to sight during the first leg before the turn... there were lots of things to sight, just didn't know which one to use...
Transition 1
  • 27m
Comments:

Temp was around 40 degrees when we exited the water. I probably spent 3-4 minutes in the hot shower just letting it warm my toes and rubbing them trying to get feeling back in them. It was a pretty decent run to T1. I was freezing cold and could not feel my feet. I was worried that the gravel might be eating into them and so I slowed down to a walk b/c I didn't want to risk foot pain the rest of the day. Every step was painful. Once into the changing tent, it was SO crowded. The ground was soaking wet. I couldn't even find a 3 foot space to get my stuff out and dry off and change. Men were shoulder to shoulder, naked, and everyone of them were shivering. After a couple mins I found a big enough spot to change, threw my foil heat blanket (that they gave me at the water exit) on the ground, dumped my T1 bag out, tried to wipe all the grass and debris off my feet, dried off, got dressed, put all my wet stuff in bag, hit the porta on the way to my bike, then took off on the bike course.

Probably wear booties to both help prevent numbness of feet during swim and help me on the way to T1. OR leave some shoes somewhere around the swim exit that I could throw on (I saw a guy do this). Other than that, not real sure. It was brutal.
If I had any idea of what to expect, I may have been quicker on my feet and found a quicker way to change... or be more prepared to adjust my plan. My plan started with finding a space big enough to lay a towel down and then change. When no space was available, I could have yelled out asking who was almost done or just gone butt cheek to butt cheek with someone... ha! I just had too much stuff (reg clothing plus cold weather, HR strap, socks, shoes, helmet... I needed some space
Bike
  • 6h 31m
  • 112 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Heading out I had on bike shorts w/ tights over them, blue zoot jersey, thick arm sleeves, thick gloves. My legs were numb from the swim and T1, so it was hard to get a gauge on how they felt. I just went by HR and cadence and tried to keep what I thought was an easy effort (hard to do w/ numb legs). Temp + wind = pretty chilly for the first half or so. Most pplk I saw had long sleeve and leggings. About 1.5 hours in I started to regain feeling in my legs... but didn't fully regain feeling in my toes until 4.5 hours into the bike (have vented tri shoes but was wearing dry socks and toe covers). At this point, I could tell that my legs felt okay. I kept my HR in the 120 range the entire ride! Rode the first half about 1 mph faster than the second, but purposefully backed off wanting to save some for the run. Plus, I was passing a LOT of ppl on the bike and was not getting passed by many...
I wore leg tights, arm warmers and thick gloves the entire ride. Probably could have gotten away with shedding them towards the end, but it also wasn't hot enough to have to shed them.

Nutrition:
I started the race w/ 2 servings of infinit on my bike (put it there the night before). I stopped at the 2nd aid station (about mile 40) and mixed 1 serving of infinit. I stopped at special needs and grabbed a bottle containing 2 servings of infinit (mixed previously) and used the porta (pee) and was off. Then, I stopped at the 2nd to last aid station (around mile 90) and mixed 2 servings of infinit. Bike computer had an avg of 17.6 b/c it does not run when bike is stopped.

Not much. Having the numbness might have been a blessing in disguise... I think it forced me to go very easy and this really helped me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 12m
Comments:

Not much to say here. Had a decent distance to cover to get to changing area. medic stopped me b/c of the irritation that my wetsuit had left on my neck. He put some cream on it. There was a female medic in our changing tent helping treat a racer, so I sort of waited a bit to see if she would leave. Eventually, I just turned my back to het, got naked and changed, used the bathroom quickly (pee) and took off. Ate a stinger waffle and drank some water right before leaving T2.

Not much. Could have been a bit faster, but didn't want to rush and forget something.
Run
  • 5h 12m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt amazing! Even so, I tried to stay easy with the pace. I decided to stick with the 4:30/0:30 run/walk. Managed to keep HR around 120 for pretty much the entire run! Ran the first 6 miles at a 10 min pace! After mile 7 or 8, legs started to feel it. I was worried they would cramp or lock up. I was also having some stomach issues (expected). But, I just stuck with the plan. It was grueling. Mental toughness paid off. HR was good the entire time. My only concern was my legs and whether or not they could do it. But, I just kept asking them to go and they did! I adjusted the plan just a little at around mile 14 and did a 4:15/0:45 run/walk. At aid stations, I either hit them during the walk or adjusted my time to reflect walking thru aid station (for example, if walked thru aid station, I would skip the next scheduled walk). I think the run/walk was very helpful in giving my legs just the right amount of time to recover and get some oxygen and also keep my HR down. Another huge plus was that it kept my mind busy b/c I was always watching my watch.
I made an effort to encourage people that I saw on the run. Even though it took a bit of extra effort, it made it more fun for me.
Nutrition:
Started off w/ a 3 hour flask of infinit napalm. Used this the first 13-14 miles and then just lived off the course. Took endurolytes off the course and sport legs at T2 & special needs. Around mile 17 or 18 I started taking in chicken broth and coke. Also tried a few cups of liquid heed (nasty taste). Ate a few little things here and there.

Even though my legs were feeling it, I feel I could have pushed the pace the last 6 miles. But I didn't want to be totally wasted at the finish and for the days to follow.
Post race
Warm down:

sat in the warm tent, ate some pizza

Event comments:

This was a great race. I did a HIM that was IM branded and it did have just a bit more fanfare. However, I enjoyed this race every bit as much, if not more. I would love to come back.

People that I talked to said that race conditions were better in years past (swim and bike). So I feel like I could easily go sub-13 hrs if I am able to give this race another go. Even though I could have done better, I did make a lot of really good decisions throughout this race and was pleased with my overall performance.

Interesting things I saw:
- A female squatting on the side of the road (bike course). Not sure if it was a #1 or #2... saw lots of men peeing on side of road, but just weird to see a female going squatty.
- A guy right in front of me on the bike sat up and let go of the bars to stretch. He totally lost control and went wide right and then wide left... I have no idea how he kept it upright. I pulled up to pass him and told him he scared me... he said he scared the crap out of himself!
- A lady right in front of me on the bike just fell right over. I think her pedal may have clipped her computer sensor. I stopped to help her. She was shaken but okay and bike looked fine, so I told her to get back on that thing and hold on tight and then I took off.
-On the run, with a porta in sight, a man run s over beside a bush (in clear sight of everyone) and goes squatty. Dude, c'mon, if you're back here w/ me you aren't going to podium... and what are you using to wipe?

Last updated: 2013-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 289/
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless w/ arm sleeves
Course: Point to point. Water got a bit colder after the turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 27:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:31:00 | 112 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Overall: 279/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Course was great. I never felt like wind was just super brutal. There just seemed to be almost a constant headwind or crosswind for almost all of the bike. A few others I talked to said the same. But, it's hard for me to tell. A bunch of people told me it was worse than previous years.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 12:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:12:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 303/
Performance: Average
Course: Great course. Not pancake flat, but I preferred some variation. Only one really big hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-28 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-10-29 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4886854

User image

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS, Will!!    With the cold weather, not being able to sight well, long transition times in changing (yep - 27 minutes in T1 was really slow ) and stopping to help a bicyclist -  your finish time was SUPER!!   You did it and have to be pleased!  I know all us Junkies are so proud of you!!     I'm still blown away by Dirk being there for you and keeping it a surprise.   I'm "pleased as punch" hearing about all the things he was able to assist you with.  I'm sure that meant the world to Jeni being able to see you throughout the course more than expected.  Way to get it done, Will!    I'm just so happy for you!    Enjoy the rest of your vacation time.  Eat everything in sight and do no workouts. 

2013-10-29 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Will, again congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT report. Did ya'll swim in the ocean, bay or a river?

Yea some of the bigger races around here, I see ladies squatting all the time, I just don't look. Men pee so much they can keep forest fires down. ..lol

Sounds like a good race and I may consider that race after hearing your report.

Thanks for posting!!!
2013-10-29 12:33 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats again Ironman! I never had any doubt that you'd finish this race and become an Ironman. Will you trained extremely hard for this and it showed in your performance. I also think your approach was very smart coming off a year where not able to train to training for an Ironman. That is not an easy thing to do. Your wait and see approach worked well and this was probably the perfect scenario for you to see how you progressed in your training before fully committing to this race.

I think you did a great job with your pacing, exection and nutrition. Those three things determine the outcome of these types of races and you nailed it Will. Great job dealing with the cooler weather and the tougher swim and bike. I think you did a great job with the swim, bike and run. You shouldn't worry about the tranistion times at all. They are what they are based on the circumstances besides you always get a pass on those for your first IM.

I also loved the fact that Dirk was there to cheer you on and be your coach and personal assitance for the day lol. He definitely went above and beyond but I'm sure you appreciated it and as you know there is nothing better to boost the spirits and give you a lift out on the course when you have friends and family there to support you. That must have been great to see your wife, daughter and Dirk throughout the day to keep the spirits high.

Great job again Will, I think had things be a little more favorable you definitely could have come in under 13 hours but regardless you did a great job and had a great race. Besides now you have a goal to aim for when you do your next one. As Brenda said we are all proud of what you accomplished. Now enjoy some down time with your family, have an off season and celebrate your accomplishment.
2013-10-29 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Congrats!!

It was definitely a beautiful day to be out there racing (minus the cold start).

I was noticing the same thing about the number of people peeing in the woods.  It was amusing

I agree with the atmosphere.... Ironman branded events have more fanfare, but this one was just plain FUN! 

2013-10-29 6:24 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Great job out there! I think I would have stopped under a shower head and camped out, had there been one open! Nice job on a tough day.

2013-10-30 4:32 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Coming to NC to see this race was one of the highlights of the year for me.  Being able to watch in person as you made this dream come to life, so to speak, was really motivational.

Race day was full of nerves and I could see that from the moment I saw you.  I know exactly how it works and so I was in complete understanding as I watched you move about and get on the bus to head to the swim start.  I have been kicking myself since that morning for not having my bike with me so I could go watch you go off at the start.  When I saw you come into T1 I was very happy to have seen such a fast swim.  Sure it may have been faster on other years but this looks like a smoking time for IM swim times.  I also thought it was funny that you picked up on my swim time error during your race.  When you asked your estimated swim time and I was off by 30 minutes, you immediately knew something was off.  I would have been right out of transition and would have been trying to figure it out for 6 hours on the bike.

As I watched you all day, I was pleased to see you maintain control through the bike.  At dinner on Friday your mention of being able to have a faster bike split concerned me and I became nervous.  On race day though it was all business as planned and you held your bike under control.  I could actually see that you weren't attempting anything crazy and your original plan was in place.

Riding next to you while you were running fro so much of the run provided some insight into what an IM run may look like for me.  (At least I hope it's what mine looks like.)  You seemed pretty confident when I first found you.  You looked strong and comfortable and knew there weren't going to be any problems making it to the finish.  As the run wore on, I could see that you were becoming tired.  Your plan to run/walk was a great one and it appeared that it worked very well, and it seemed like you were exactly on time with the planned intervals as well.

Overall I can't imagine you having been better prepared to complete this race.

Congratulations on your first Ironman distance completion!!  I hope there are more in your future if you and Jeni so chose.

2013-10-30 5:32 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Again, Congrats IM!

Amazing swim time! 1:14- that is insane. Good insight about wearing booties on something like this.

Awesome race report. I think it is awesome that you took the time to enjoy the day, soak it in, and talk to people on the course. Your commentary about the interesting things observe (squatties) was hilarious.

2013-10-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Bronze member

Sounds like you made a lot of smart decisions out there. Congratulations!

2013-10-30 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Congratulations on an incredible accomplishment. I hope to do so well on my first IM race someday.

2013-11-09 5:27 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
It sounds like you really enjoyed your day! And what a great swim time. congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2274 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2086 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2426 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2329 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2438 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.