Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BQ Gift Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: BQ Gift

Hey all, my girlfriend ran a BQ time at Marine Corps (3:34:50, needed a 3:35. talk about cutting it close) and I want to do something nice for her. Any good BQ/running related suggestions?

2013-10-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: BQ Gift

I did a BQ in 2011 at Marine Corps. One of my best races ever. It's a very crowded race. Get there early, use the porta-potty, and get to the front of the corral. I didn't follow that advice and my first 10k took 53 minutes. I was supposed to be at a 7:50 pace. There was simply no where to go. Fortunately I felt great and held 7:30's the rest of the race. There are a couple hills in the first 10k also, so go out conservatively and don't waste energy trying to weave through the crowd.

Enjoy the National Mall, get great pictures, and tell her to smile. My avatar is from that race, both feet are off the ground. MCM has magical photographers that can take a good race photo. Yes, it can happen!

The 14th street bridge is tough. You go from throngs of supporters to dead silence, it will be cooler and windier, and it comes at miles 20-21, where you are really starting to hurt. I distinctly remember the feeling of being alone and all I could here was my breathing. This is where the race switched from physical to mental for me.

The good news is once you're off the bridge the crowds pick up, the Marines start clapping for you, and you can really feel the energy from the crowd. The final stretch up to the Memorial is a crazy two-block hill, but you have Marines screaming at you and then it's flat again, and you're through the chute.

The weather can be variable. It snowed like mad the day before the race and I was flipping out in the hotel. I had packed everything from full UA cold weather gear to shorts. It was absurdly cold waiting for the race to start, like 35 degrees, and 55 by the end. I wound up tossing a nice fleece, so if it's cold at the start wear something you can throw away without regrets.

And tell her good luck!

2013-10-29 9:12 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I did a BQ in 2011 at Marine Corps. One of my best races ever. It's a very crowded race. Get there early, use the porta-potty, and get to the front of the corral. I didn't follow that advice and my first 10k took 53 minutes. I was supposed to be at a 7:50 pace. There was simply no where to go. Fortunately I felt great and held 7:30's the rest of the race. There are a couple hills in the first 10k also, so go out conservatively and don't waste energy trying to weave through the crowd.

Enjoy the National Mall, get great pictures, and tell her to smile. My avatar is from that race, both feet are off the ground. MCM has magical photographers that can take a good race photo. Yes, it can happen!

The 14th street bridge is tough. You go from throngs of supporters to dead silence, it will be cooler and windier, and it comes at miles 20-21, where you are really starting to hurt. I distinctly remember the feeling of being alone and all I could here was my breathing. This is where the race switched from physical to mental for me.

The good news is once you're off the bridge the crowds pick up, the Marines start clapping for you, and you can really feel the energy from the crowd. The final stretch up to the Memorial is a crazy two-block hill, but you have Marines screaming at you and then it's flat again, and you're through the chute.

The weather can be variable. It snowed like mad the day before the race and I was flipping out in the hotel. I had packed everything from full UA cold weather gear to shorts. It was absurdly cold waiting for the race to start, like 35 degrees, and 55 by the end. I wound up tossing a nice fleece, so if it's cold at the start wear something you can throw away without regrets.

If she BQ's get her the plaque made with the bib and the medal.

And tell her good luck!

2013-10-29 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

And tell her good luck!

Thank you for the advice, but she already ran it! and BQ'd! I want to do something to celebrate!

btw, x2 on getting there early. we did not get there early enough and she said the beginning of her race was a mess trying to get around people.

2013-10-29 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

a massage, like STAT.

2013-10-29 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Pay for her Boston entry?  Make it one of those cutesy home made gift certificate things... chicks did that crap.

2013-10-29 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Hmm, I suck at gifts anyways so I should just stop typing now.  lol

I would think something running related would be the best bet, but if she just BQ'd she probably has every running accessory already.  If she doesn't have a GPS watch that would be my first choice.

If you want to get really crazy you could buy her an engagement ring... oh yeah, I went there....

2013-10-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

And tell her good luck!

Thank you for the advice, but she already ran it! and BQ'd! I want to do something to celebrate!

btw, x2 on getting there early. we did not get there early enough and she said the beginning of her race was a mess trying to get around people.

Duh. This is why I need coffee in the morning!

Get her the jacket. It's the best Boston Marathon item you can get. Then take this picture and get it framed (not-so-subtle brag). Except hand her a bouquet of flowers right before the picture.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-29 12:25 PM

(boston2013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boston2013.jpg (110KB - 8 downloads)
2013-10-29 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Then take this picture and get it framed

Why would he want to give a picture of you? That's weird.

2013-10-29 12:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly Then take this picture and get it framed
Why would he want to give a picture of you? That's weird.

Grrr.... Everyone on here is Mr. Strunk and Mr. White.

"Take a picture of her at the finish line, AS PER THIS EXAMPLE."

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-29 12:43 PM
2013-10-29 1:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I like the idea of the jacket and such, but you'd have to wait until Boston to do that, no?

A more immediate gift might mean more. Massage is a great idea, and if she's into the spa experience throw in a package with stuff she likes (facial, mani/pedi, aroma therapy, mud bath, whatever).

Her favorite bottle of wine with a homemade dinner is always nice, no matter WHAT the occasion.

A tattoo.

2013-10-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

I'd avoid depending on something Boston-related. That qualifying time might not be enough to actually get her into the race... Sorry to be the buzzkill!

Massage, Edible Arrangement, a nice dinner out - or in!, gift certificate to her favorite running store/athletic clothing brand...

2013-10-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I'd avoid depending on something Boston-related. That qualifying time might not be enough to actually get her into the race... Sorry to be the buzzkill!

Massage, Edible Arrangement, a nice dinner out - or in!, gift certificate to her favorite running store/athletic clothing brand...

hmmm, I like the gift certificate idea, maybe take her to pick out a new pair of running shoes. she is the one with the lost toenails (my other recent thread) because her shoes are too small.

2013-10-29 1:59 PM

User image

Pro

hmmm, I like the gift certificate idea, maybe take her to pick out a new pair of running shoes. she is the one with the lost toenails (my other recent thread) because her shoes are too small.

Then yes - buy her SHOES!

2013-10-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Then yes - buy her SHOES!

[women] love shoes...

2013-10-29 4:06 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Celebrate with Boston Cream Pie!

2013-10-30 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

I got my wife a necklace with a Boston Marathon charm that I had engraved with the years and her times for the various Boston Marathon's she ran.  It is not cheap, but she wears it all the time and loves it.  

http://longsjewelersstore.com/collections/boston-marathon-collection/products/gif5522

Edited by mattb1 2013-10-30 11:13 AM

(Boston Medal.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Boston Medal.jpg (77KB - 8 downloads)
2013-10-30 2:28 PM
in reply to: mattb1

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
x2 on the above necklace/charm that was going to be my suggestion.

You could also make a photo album for her with pictures from all of her races or ones you have done together and can include bibs and other such things and at the end, you can include the Boston pictures and bib. I do this with my wife, we have a scrap book with pictures and bibs from all of the races we do and she loves it. Just a thought.

And if all else fails....Buy her some shoes
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BQ Gift Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gift for someone who won't accept a gift?

Started by mndymond
Views: 4042 Posts: 16

2010-08-11 12:59 PM jgaither

Baby gift ~ boy... COJ help me pick the gift...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 713 Posts: 13

2009-10-19 1:28 PM rwegelin

which is harder? kq or bq

Started by cdom
Views: 679 Posts: 7

2007-01-21 11:40 AM chirunner134

Workplace Gift Exchange

Started by LaurenSU02
Views: 1191 Posts: 19

2005-11-08 8:01 PM LaurenSU02

Gift for an 8-yr old boy Pages: 1 2

Started by Denise2003
Views: 1979 Posts: 28

2005-11-12 12:14 AM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.