General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get rid of that smell? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Subject: How to get rid of that smell?
I just finished my first HIM on Sunday (Austin) and now my clothes smell like lake (washed them 2 times already) and my bike shoes still smell like Urin (rinsed them thoroughly once).
How do you get the smell out of all the gear?

2013-10-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Subject: RE: How to get rid of that smell?
white vinegar rinse

Tide with Fabreeze.

For the wetsuit, find a strawberry baby shampoo and scrub it down good then rinse it off good then leave it hanging off the shower nozzle while you're at work.

2013-10-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

We put ammonia in the washer when its time for stinky workout clothes. Works great
2013-10-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

After my first HIM, I left everything in my transition bag for MONTHS.

It only took two cycles with Penguin sport wash to get that out (of the bag and everything in it).

Usually half the recommended amount of that wash will get pretty much anything that's less than a week old out in one cycle.

I've also had good luck with soaking stuff in vinegar and powdered detergent overnight, then washing it regularly (meaning with a mild powdered detergent).

ETA that's vinegar and detergent mixed into plenty more water.

Edited by TriAya 2013-10-29 10:36 AM
2013-10-29 10:36 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I am not a huge fan of over-perfuming to mask smells so my suggestions are: white vinegar in the liquid fabric softner dispenser. You can also try a washing booster like Borax or Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Both can be found in the detergent aisle. 

For shoes, try running them through a dishwasher cycle (alone). Take the insoles out and scrub with shampoo. For drying, wad up dry newspaper and stuff inside. Sprinkle the inside with baking soda.

2013-10-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: lisac957

In my opinion, the easiest way to get rid of smells in my workout gear, is to put all of your clothes in separate plastic-bags, and throw 'em in the freezer. Leave it there for 24 hours or so. Remove, and leave somewhere with room-temperature. Within a couple of hours, you can hang it to dry.

I haven't tried this with a wetsuit, but it works like a charm for both clothes, and shoes.

2013-10-29 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I have done a lot of research on just this topic!

Now in your case, the smell of lake water should have been removed just fine with washing.
So should the smell of urine.

What you can't get out easily is the smell of bacteria, because it's not easy to kill the bacteria that emit the smell.

I have tried the freezer trick and it had absolutely no effect.
I have tried washing to no effect.
I have tried washing with a cup of ammonia to no effect.
I have tried washing with 2 cups of bleach to no effect.
(yes bleach kills bacteria, but apparently not with realistic concentrations and for the short timespan of a wash cycle)

What worked for me? I've found 2 things that work.
The first was a chemistry experiment....large load (high water level) and after it filled I added 2 cups of bleach. I agitated then put in my smelly items. Then I put in detergent as usual. Finally I put in 2 cups of ammonia, PROMPTY closed the lid and left the room and shut the laundry room door.
Ammonia and bleach create a toxic gas you want to avoid breathing.

When done, my skanky workout clothes did NOT retake on that odor even after weeks and weeks of continued use.

The second thing that seems to have worked is to microwave the items. It needs to be items that won't be damaged by the microwave...be careful regarding shoes because the glue holding on the midsole and outsole can be melted. But if the items are WET first, then microwave on high until the water begins to steam. You will have reached a temperature that has killed the bacteria and it should lose the odor permanently after washing again.

2013-10-29 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
I add Borax to my normal detergent. Works very well.
2013-10-29 11:42 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Another vote for white vinegar.  I have a cloth/carpet yoga mat I did hot yoga/Bikrams on and it would catch a LOT of sweat.  After a month or workouts, even with washing after every class, it would add up to a bit of a smelly mat.  NOT cool in child's pose or cobra.  A wash or two in vinegar fixed it right up.

I'm not going to knock using bleach BUT, as a warning, chlorine bleach will do a number on fabrics.  It's WAY too harsh and can shorten the lifespan of clothes drastically in high concentrations (as well as getting bleach spots).  The only time I break it out is once every two to three loads on my socks and skivvies. 

Edited by Kido 2013-10-29 11:46 AM
2013-10-29 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by JeffY I have done a lot of research on just this topic! Now in your case, the smell of lake water should have been removed just fine with washing. So should the smell of urine. What you can't get out easily is the smell of bacteria, because it's not easy to kill the bacteria that emit the smell. I have tried the freezer trick and it had absolutely no effect. I have tried washing to no effect. I have tried washing with a cup of ammonia to no effect. I have tried washing with 2 cups of bleach to no effect. (yes bleach kills bacteria, but apparently not with realistic concentrations and for the short timespan of a wash cycle) What worked for me? I've found 2 things that work. The first was a chemistry experiment....large load (high water level) and after it filled I added 2 cups of bleach. I agitated then put in my smelly items. Then I put in detergent as usual. Finally I put in 2 cups of ammonia, PROMPTY closed the lid and left the room and shut the laundry room door. Ammonia and bleach create a toxic gas you want to avoid breathing. When done, my skanky workout clothes did NOT retake on that odor even after weeks and weeks of continued use. The second thing that seems to have worked is to microwave the items. It needs to be items that won't be damaged by the microwave...be careful regarding shoes because the glue holding on the midsole and outsole can be melted. But if the items are WET first, then microwave on high until the water begins to steam. You will have reached a temperature that has killed the bacteria and it should lose the odor permanently after washing again.

please pretty please do NOT mix ammonia and bleach - not only are the vapors nasty but some of the byproducts are flammable.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

Edited by mehaner 2013-10-29 11:44 AM
2013-10-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mehaner

please pretty please do NOT mix ammonia and bleach - not only are the vapors nasty but some of the byproducts are flammable.

I mixed dishwashing soap with bleach once.  Mostly because the bottle of soap said NOT to do it.  Found out the hard way that there were ammonia compounds in it.  Stuck my face into the dish I did the experiment in to see what's up and was NOT happy.

2013-10-29 3:44 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by JeffY I have done a lot of research on just this topic! Now in your case, the smell of lake water should have been removed just fine with washing. So should the smell of urine. What you can't get out easily is the smell of bacteria, because it's not easy to kill the bacteria that emit the smell. I have tried the freezer trick and it had absolutely no effect. I have tried washing to no effect. I have tried washing with a cup of ammonia to no effect. I have tried washing with 2 cups of bleach to no effect. (yes bleach kills bacteria, but apparently not with realistic concentrations and for the short timespan of a wash cycle) What worked for me? I've found 2 things that work. The first was a chemistry experiment....large load (high water level) and after it filled I added 2 cups of bleach. I agitated then put in my smelly items. Then I put in detergent as usual. Finally I put in 2 cups of ammonia, PROMPTY closed the lid and left the room and shut the laundry room door. Ammonia and bleach create a toxic gas you want to avoid breathing. When done, my skanky workout clothes did NOT retake on that odor even after weeks and weeks of continued use. The second thing that seems to have worked is to microwave the items. It needs to be items that won't be damaged by the microwave...be careful regarding shoes because the glue holding on the midsole and outsole can be melted. But if the items are WET first, then microwave on high until the water begins to steam. You will have reached a temperature that has killed the bacteria and it should lose the odor permanently after washing again.

Thank you for the kind warning!
Yes, I'm fully aware of the chemistry and it's actually why it works.
Now, you may notice that I took pains to mention that the 2 cups of each are mixed within a full tub of water so that the rate of the reaction will be dramatically slowed.
When I have done this I've noticed no vapors left in the laundry room after returning an hour later.

You also don't want to measure out the bleach and ammonia in the same measuring cup!

If this frightens anyone, then by all means be safe and use a different method!

2013-10-29 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
After washing my workout clothes, if they still reek, I throw them in the sink w/ hot water and a bunch of baking soda and let sit for an hour, then run through rinse cycle and hang to dry....Stuff that even after numerous other attempts described above in other posts still came out smelling less than good, then smelled absolutely normal. No bad ammonia smell, no bleach....
2013-10-29 6:02 PM
in reply to: orangeace

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by orangeace

I add Borax to my normal detergent. Works very well.

+1
After a lake tri I had the same problem with bike shoes. I finally hand washed them in a bucket with borax and let it soak for about 8 hours.
2013-10-29 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
The only thing that I have found that actually works is a product called Go Soap. I've tried the vinegar thing, I tried WIN, and the other ones too.

The guy that created it lives in the Atlanta area and he gave me some samples before he launched it. It's all I use now.

Full Disclosure: We are sponsored by them, but only after I found I liked the product and wanted to get a discount for my athletes.
2013-10-29 10:25 PM

Expert
I've been using Deodorall Sport, which was made originally for hockey gear (you want to talk about a stink...). You can get it on Amazon. It works incredibly well on shoes, and with a couple applications does well on clothing as well. It is a spray, not a detergent additive.

Outside of that, it seems the best solution is air. The more stuff can get air, and the faster it can get it after a workout, the better. But in your case, it sounds like the damage is done so you need to use something like Deodorall or the other recommendations here. Good luck!

2013-10-29 10:52 PM
in reply to: #4887143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Every once and a while I wash my workout clothes with fabric softener, it seems to help.
2013-10-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I've found that a full day in direct sunlight takes care of the odor.

2013-11-27 1:10 PM
in reply to: Hazelmn

You mentioned hockey gear. God, that stuff really stinks. I had to drive my car with the windows down for weeks after hauling my nephew and his buds to a hockey camp. Their coach put me on to something called X500 or X5000 that he uses for gloves and pads that can't be washed. I tried some on my ratty workout shoes and it kept the stink from coming back after a really long run. I think it even killed the critters that were making my feet itch. I put it on my bike gloves to. They were getting really grotty. Worked great.
2013-11-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: AdamTheBeast702

found it! http://x5000sports.com. Don't think it will work on neoprene but it's a killer for shoe stink.
2013-11-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: AdamTheBeast702

User image

New user
+1 on the dishwasher. My bike shoes smelled like they were dunked in a Johnny on the Spot. They came out super clean and fresh!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get rid of that smell? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Managing Heat: How to get rid of headache? Pages: 1 2

Started by Chippy
Views: 5782 Posts: 28

2008-06-10 11:18 AM breckview

Getting rid of the soreness?

Started by triOK
Views: 1527 Posts: 21

2007-02-13 11:24 PM Hamner

should I get rid of my aero bars?

Started by thegomer
Views: 859 Posts: 12

2006-03-23 3:09 PM pbarlowtri

getting rid of that side cramp?

Started by Live2Tri
Views: 907 Posts: 11

2004-08-16 7:30 PM CindyK

Getting rid of chlorine smell after pool swims

Started by joscon
Views: 1127 Posts: 10

2004-05-05 1:54 PM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
comments : 0
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.

date : November 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
The next time you smell ammonia, don't worry. It doesn't mean that your muscle tissue is being broken down, and it doesn't mean that you're doomed to stink for the rest of eternity.