General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Carb Diets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-29 3:13 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Low Carb Diets

I stopped "tri-ing" after IMAZ last year for many reasons.  Health, burnout, work.  Put on those 20 lbs that I lost years ago doing it and it finally got to the point I need to do something about it.

What's the scoop on low carb diets?  Originally, I was just going to cut process flour and sugar and cut back on alcohol.  Some of these low carb diets even have more extreme measures and limits the amount of fruit and veggies.  They don't say NOT to eat them, but you also can't eat as much as you want of them either.

I'm on day two and already craving some bread or something with more substance than a chicken breast, eggs, or salmon filet.

Are these diets good for you?  I googled and saw that for short term weight loss, they are great, but for long term, you gain it back and maybe even more.  How are you supposed to feel on a low carb diet?  Any other weird side effects?

2013-10-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Low Carb Diets

I think it depends on how your body individually reacts to carbs. The more I experiment, the more I am gleaning that MY body is fairly sensitive to them. Others don't seem to have that issue.

I've been doing low-carb for 5- 6 weeks now and have lost 8 pounds, which is 6% of my body weight. I "feel" just fine, all though I am not in a high volume training mode. I'm aiming for an hour of cardio per day and have had no issues, beyond normal stuff, with fatigue.

I think in general, low carb CAN BE very healthy. Yes you can go overboard with questionable foods like hamburger/pork, bacon, cheese, butter, etc. But for the most part I stick to chicken, fish, eggs, and tons of veggies. I eat a lot of salads. Pretty healthy stuff. I *have* been throwing in Atkins bars as a snack when a sweet craving hits. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss and really helps stabalize my mood when a craving hits.

Cravings should taper off the more you can resist. I know that has been the case for me at least. And when you do have a craving, there are tons of "substitute" low carb recipes that can get you your fix without blowing your day. I made a carb-free lemon cheesecake last night, for example. 

There is a thread in the Nutrition forum dedicated to Ketosis, which is when your body/liver is low/depleated of glucose and is in complete fat-burning mode. Really interesting stuff.

2013-10-29 3:38 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, the plan I picked happened to be Atkins.  I figure it's close to the others AND it's not as bad as it was when it first came out.

I'll hit up the Ketosis thread.  It sound interesting, but also sounds a little spooky for the limited reading I have done on the interwebz.

2013-10-29 5:31 PM

User image

First few days are usually the worst. I ran a low carb diet for nearly 2 years with only one "relapse" in the middle. In my experience once your body gets used to using fats and protein for energy your energy levels stabilize and there are no cravings at all.

I also did a diet that enforced a one-day carb pigout every week. The idea was to keep your body guessing and not start storing fat for energy. It worked. One day per week I would eat whole pizzas, boxes of donuts, you name it. Rest of the week was a lot of spinach and lean meats. I dropped a lot of weight.

These two diets did not occur during tri training but I was still exercising about 8 hours per week, high intensity. For some reason I'm really lacking the willpower right now. It's currently bowl-o-pasta for dinner time.

2013-10-29 5:33 PM

User image

For specifics the first diet (2 year) was paleo and the second diet was 4-Hour Body.

2013-12-08 10:52 PM
in reply to: swimbikejog

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by swimbikejog

First few days are usually the worst. I ran a low carb diet for nearly 2 years with only one "relapse" in the middle. In my experience once your body gets used to using fats and protein for energy your energy levels stabilize and there are no cravings at all.

I also did a diet that enforced a one-day carb pigout every week. The idea was to keep your body guessing and not start storing fat for energy. It worked. One day per week I would eat whole pizzas, boxes of donuts, you name it. Rest of the week was a lot of spinach and lean meats. I dropped a lot of weight.

These two diets did not occur during tri training but I was still exercising about 8 hours per week, high intensity. For some reason I'm really lacking the willpower right now. It's currently bowl-o-pasta for dinner time.

Bodybuilders will do a cyclical ketogenic diet where they eat carbs one day a week but I have never read about eating an excessive amount like you describe.  That sounds pretty rough.  In a CKD, you often do an hour of light cardio the day after your carb day to keep glycogen stores depleted.  The day or day and a half of carbs is to spike insulin.  

I like ketogenic diets because I stay lean and burn fat but my muscle strength continues to grow.  My son and I do a 3 day on, 1 day off workout plan and we also spend about 8-9 hrs a week in the gym.  

2013-12-24 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4887580

I'm not "cold turkey" on carbs but I'm not eating much and I have been burning a lot of stored fat. That, and daily workouts have dropped 6 inches (and still dropping) off my waist. Dinner is fish or chicken and a lot of veggies and I'm full. I'm at 1800 calories/day and I try to burn that same amount thru training. That roughly means my basil metabolic rate is burning stored fat.

I keep a mental note of calories and sometimes, I eat poorly but as long as I keep my totals around 1800/day, my process works. Tomorrow is Christmas and I'm going where there will be some high cal food. As long as I don't go nuts, everything will be fine.

What has made it easy(ier) is finding food I like... Adding flavor so it's not bland... And never forgetting loading up on any calories (good or bad) means I have to work that much harder in the pool and on the bike to get to my goal. My goals are more important than food.
2014-01-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: jcjbike

User image

I tried low carb for a few months, here are my results and thoughts: http://kylekranz.com/?p=68

No change was noticed, with anything really. I think any diet based on whole food will be a great choice for people who do not experience adverse reactions to certain products.
2014-02-09 11:58 PM
in reply to: KyleKranz

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Four days into lchp - am concerned about putting weight back on, though I gained by eating junk for years. I believe that tri's will keep me focused. Assume I will always have to exclude all processed carbs and watch whole grains and fruit (esp as a 54 year old woman) .

Interesting to hear about three days on, day off, sounds reasonable.

Mitzi
2014-02-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Discouraged - one week strict, 3.5# lost. If it stays at 3.5# a week I'll be happy, but was hoping for a more dramatic start.

Not even in ketosis yet.
Friends dropping 6-8 lbs in first week, but then their diets were awful to begin with and they are heavier to start with.

2014-02-12 9:34 AM

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Discouraged - one week strict, 3.5# lost. If it stays at 3.5# a week I'll be happy, but was hoping for a more dramatic start.

Not even in ketosis yet.
Friends dropping 6-8 lbs in first week, but then their diets were awful to begin with and they are heavier to start with.

I'm worried that your expectations seem a bit high.

3.5# a week is a pretty aggressive rate... unless you're like 350# to start with. Losing too fast can be harmful to your system.

I'd suggest reading some experts.

One place with a lot of free material and good advice:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/getstarted

2014-03-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Three weeks at 1000 cal/day, with some slip ups at 1300 or 1400. Carbs down to about 20 g, fat at 30% and protein at 55% of diet. Three weeks, down 7.5lbs which is pathetic, sorry but I'm not impressed.
Havn't done much, but did some lifting and brisk walking yesterday and am up a lb. this morning.

Guess I should be raising my fat intake to see what that does, but it is hard for me to get over fat phobia.
Was really hoping to drop some weight to improve my tri ability.

Mitzi
2014-03-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Three weeks at 1000 cal/day, with some slip ups at 1300 or 1400. Carbs down to about 20 g, fat at 30% and protein at 55% of diet. Three weeks, down 7.5lbs which is pathetic, sorry but I'm not impressed.
Havn't done much, but did some lifting and brisk walking yesterday and am up a lb. this morning.

Guess I should be raising my fat intake to see what that does, but it is hard for me to get over fat phobia.

Mitzi

If you want Low Carbs to work, You will need to lower your protein and increase your fat. Your fat should be at a minimum of 60 % of your calories.

Now fat phobia is understandable, it is hard to ignore 40 years of brainwashing. My wife was convinced I was loosing weight, but going towards a sure heart attack. To be honest, I was worried about it too.

Check the video link I list underneath, the Director of one of the most prestigious Cancer institute in the world explaining how Carbs are the problems when talking cancer (and to a smaller level, protein).

You can do all the research you want through Medical studies to find proof that fat is dangerous for heart disease, and you will not find it. I know, I spent weeks looking for it. It does not exist.

But nothing anyone says will remove the doubts in your head. The best thing to do, is look at the results of a blood test while you were eating carbs, then really go low carbs high fat for 6 months. 6 months would not cause life threatening long term damage. Then get a blood test after 6 months.

When I came home with results that my Doctor described as those of a 20 years old very healthy man, my wife stopped worrying. It also removed that "Fat phobia" I was experiencing. I have had 4 different blood work since I went low carbs. The more saturated fat I eat, the better my results.

Your approach will not give you the results you're hoping for.

What works for maximum results in Low carbs, is simple.

Sop counting calories. Eat only when physically hungry. Keep fat no lower then 60%, and carbs lower then 25%. Exercise a minimum of 5 hours a week, staying in Zone 1 or 2. Don't worry that you're eating more because of exercising, only eat when hungry. The weight will come off, and it will be mostly fat.

You can not say you tried Low Carbs and failed, if you kept your protein at 55%. You did not truly experience low carbs yet.

Give it a full trial and see the results. Then make up your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

Edited by outlandluc 2014-03-03 8:32 AM
2014-03-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by outlandluc

Mitzi

If you want Low Carbs to work, You will need to lower your protein and increase your fat. Your fat should be at a minimum of 60 % of your calories.

Now fat phobia is understandable, it is hard to ignore 40 years of brainwashing. My wife was convinced I was loosing weight, but going towards a sure heart attack. To be honest, I was worried about it too.

Check the video link I list underneath, the Director of one of the most prestigious Cancer institute in the world explaining how Carbs are the problems when talking cancer (and to a smaller level, protein).

You can do all the research you want through Medical studies to find proof that fat is dangerous for heart disease, and you will not find it. I know, I spent weeks looking for it. It does not exist.

But nothing anyone says will remove the doubts in your head. The best thing to do, is look at the results of a blood test while you were eating carbs, then really go low carbs high fat for 6 months. 6 months would not cause life threatening long term damage. Then get a blood test after 6 months.

When I came home with results that my Doctor described as those of a 20 years old very healthy man, my wife stopped worrying. It also removed that "Fat phobia" I was experiencing. I have had 4 different blood work since I went low carbs. The more saturated fat I eat, the better my results.

Your approach will not give you the results you're hoping for.

What works for maximum results in Low carbs, is simple.

Sop counting calories. Eat only when physically hungry. Keep fat no lower then 60%, and carbs lower then 25%. Exercise a minimum of 5 hours a week, staying in Zone 1 or 2. Don't worry that you're eating more because of exercising, only eat when hungry. The weight will come off, and it will be mostly fat.

You can not say you tried Low Carbs and failed, if you kept your protein at 55%. You did not truly experience low carbs yet.

Give it a full trial and see the results. Then make up your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

Hey Mitzi, I will chime in here instead of the other thread. You asked how my weight loss is giong. Keep in mind I am not training for endurance right now. My primary motivation is stregnth training. That said, 42 days ago I was 218 pounds. Today I am 212 (I was 206 pounds on Friday but I count my monday weight after my carb up just to be consistent with water weight). That is about a pound a week. I like to think it is all fat as my lifts have all increased.

I know you are scared. I do not even qualify as an internet weight loss expert, this being my first diet. But from what I understand, you are eating way too little in the way of calories.

Good work on giving up the quest bars. That is tough I bet.

It is tough to get into ketosis. Real tough. Your body will fight it. If you are having cravings for sugary things, then you are not where you need to be. The cravings will die. From what I have read from other people it should not take long. 3-5 days. Those days suck. But once those cravings die and your body starts to adapt the weakness you feel will leave your body. Honestly though, those cravings are a couple spoon fulls of ice cream away. You will think that you can have some because you don't really want it but bam, all of a sudden you destroy a tub.

That happened to me this weekend. I had managed 12 days on the diet. And I was feeling good. Real good. Of course my lifts were falling due to lack of explosive energy, but everything else was fine. Zero cravings. But I had a party for my daugher and we got little ceasers. Honestly I didn't want any. I had my bulletproof coffee and was like, nope not feeling it. But then every one had some and, I gotta tell you, it did smell pretty awesome. I think they had just made the dough and there was lots of sauce and cheese. Anyways. Its not like I was salivating. And how man carbs could it be, 30-40, I can take that. That won't knock me out. .....8 pieces later. All just to be a little social. It wasn't the end of the world as I did need to carb up this weekend, just was hoping to start it off a bit healthier.

I know it doesn't make sense. But when the cravings leave you it does.

Also, look at the numbers. I suspect that even though it is a high fat diet, you won't be eating much more fat then you do on your normal diet. You will just be eating less carbs and protein. At least this was my experience.

Also, I looked at your logs. Get out there. Do some low intensity running or biking or swimming.

2014-03-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I sympathize with the cravings. People don't get how we can have so little control around carbs, but I've gone through my kids closets looking for Halloween candy, talk about degrading.

I am really through with cravings, not even all that hungry, am able to not be tempted when food shopping for family or when they eat. Having my food on me at all times helps, but as I said when I worked out I got hungry.

Checked out the Food Academy and was really impressed. OK, I give up, I'm going to drop my protein to about 40% as he said acceptable intake was 1-1.5g/kg of weight - so about 100g. Am upping my fat to 50%. Seems I'll be eating less food as fat is so calorie dense - I know I know I'm not hearing you say that I shouldn't worry about calories. Well maybe I'm hearing you a little.

I'll check in next week.

Good advice to start moving again. Z2 here I come!

Good eating and training everyone.
2014-03-03 2:09 PM

People read too much into the percentages and allocations. Keep it simple, and its much easier to manage. Low Carb. Period. don't worry about eating 50% vs 55% fat, your body simply does not care that much. <20g carb/day, and let the rest fall where it does.

2014-03-07 3:18 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I would check out the GI(Glycemic Index) diet. I went on it about 18months ago and lost 65lbs in 9 months. Since then I've brought back some of the "red light food" and fell off a little bit while still maintaining my weight. A month ago I got a little strict and I'm down another 5. The nice thing with this "diet" is it's a a lifestyle change that's really easy to live with. I've done Atkins and others which can work but are extremely restrictive and hard to maintain for the long haul.

I started it by getting the book GI Diet by Rick Gallup, because a friend of mine lost a ton of weight on it. In general is says avoid processed carbs and sugar, but doesn't say avoid all carbs. It also encourages high protein intake which will help in muscle repair after workouts.
2014-03-08 11:43 AM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I have a very healthy diet and don't eat much refined carbs and it helped me maintain my weight. I'm doing the low carb, 20 or less to lose wt. Then I'll worry about adding in enough healthy fruits, veggie, beans to maintain the new weight.
2014-07-21 11:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'm back - went from extra large workout clothes to mediums. Lost 24 lbs. Feel really good.

Am resigned to not ever eating pasta, rice or potatoes. Fruit isn't necessary, but have added some plain oatmeal before workouts and plain greek yogurt with berries after. really enjoying my berries and clemintines. I'll have an Atkins or Quest bar when I really need a treat.

In diet always did large salads with LF dressing and unlimited broc, green beans, summer squash etc. Have 8oz of steak and chicken/day (I'm only 5'1", you guys might need more). I'm comfortable that my diet with the increase to 40-50 gms of carbs a day is healthy. Certainly more so than the average Americans! If I maintain the weightloss I'm going to try adding in 1/2 beans - eating one at time. If I gain, I'll drop them again.

Good luck,
Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2014-07-21 11:35 PM
2014-08-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4887580

User image

Well done Mitzi!

I lost 50+ pounds with low carb but once I started endurance sports I became cranky (I believe my wife used a four letter word to describe me) and started to eat more carbs. I switched to weightlifting and didn't watch what I was eating and put 30 pounds back on. I've switched back to a more endurance focused workload and am down around 15 pounds in 3 months. It's not a rapid weight loss, nor is it steady (gained weight week to week at least 5x), but the general trend is going down and that's a good thing.

My current diet would still be considered low carb by the SAD, but I do eat lots of fruits and veggies. Breakfast is usually a smoothie with a banana, whatever berries i have laying around, almond milk, and protein powder. Lunch is a large salad with chicken. Dinner is some sort of grilled protein with lots of veggies and a side salad. I will occasionally have rice but I try to keep it as a post workout meal or for lunch on days when I have morning and evening workouts (sushi!).

2014-08-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Got to listen to your body - if you were cranky something was wrong - your body wasn't getting something it needed.

Your current diet sounds good.
I found myself dreaming about a bowl of cereal at the end of a short run, not feeling great. So now I have a bowl of plain oatmeal before a run and plain Greek yogurt with berries after. Got so good at avoiding carbs that it's hard to get my intake over 50 grams which I want to do. Will start adding that 1/2 cup of beans I've been dreaming of.

2014-10-06 3:53 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Starting 7 days before a race?
I've lo-carbed before and usually feel the energy surge after 4-5 days. I was thinking of going low carb starting 7 days before my upcoming sprint tri.
Any thoughts or opinions?
2014-10-14 5:13 PM
in reply to: ttpharmd

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Starting 7 days before a race?
Sounds like you done it in the past. I say go for it and see how you do. Trouble is not sure if that is enough time to really get into the swing of things.
2015-01-25 9:28 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
After gaining back 6 lbs. I'm still a size med down from an xl.
Have gotten into eating about 30g of carbs a day (minus fiber) by habit. Do unlimited veggies (mostly green ones), an apple, some berries and plain greek yogurt, nuts and lots of meat, but no bread, pasta, rice or white potatoes.

Not feeling comfortable though. Just think more good carbs is healthy. Gotten so carb phobic and so good at low carb products that its' actually tough to increase. One thing I think about these diets is that you don't go completely off them or the weight does come back on. I don't plan on eating the above foods again other than very occasionally.

Following Dixon's The Well Built Triathlete I'm keeping my diet other than adding beans in for the carbs and fiber, but treating fueling for training separate. Have figured out when I'm going to add in a packet of plain oatmeal, slice of Ezekiel bread, maybe a banana for pre, during and post workouts.

Mitzi
2015-01-25 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd recommend taking a look at this. Low carb diets have some utility for weight loss, but women in particular tend to get a bit wonky if they go too low.

I liked this article that seemed to go over some of the issues.

Just gotta play with your numbers, and don't fear carbohydrate.

No macronutrient is evil!!

http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/20/females-carbohydrates-hormones/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Carb Diets Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

switching from low carb to low calorie diet

Started by rebersole2
Views: 9930 Posts: 11

2010-01-06 1:38 PM rebersole2

Controlled Carb Diet

Started by constiner
Views: 1277 Posts: 3

2009-07-22 1:33 PM Batlou

High Protein, Low Carb diet, does it really help??

Started by ns06yv
Views: 3429 Posts: 18

2009-04-23 12:07 PM Crystal910

Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this?

Started by Layne44
Views: 1900 Posts: 5

2008-07-25 6:37 PM cadreamer

Low Carb and Exercise

Started by Tootall
Views: 2826 Posts: 23

2005-04-05 10:05 AM nuke_angel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.
date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.