General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 13h 23m 5s
Overall Rank = 75/201
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/34
Pre-race routine:

Drank an Ensure during the night. Got up about 5:00. Had a bagel with honey. Gathered last of my T1 stuff and headed out about 5:30. Ate a banana on the way. Ate a bag of Sports Beans and drank a G2 while waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Jumped around trying to stay warm. The last I checked the weather it was 36 degrees. There were some people in the water warming up, but I just couldn't imagine getting back out of the water before the race started, so I did not get in!
Swim
  • 1h 24m 20s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me. I felt strong and comfortable the entire time. There was a little bit of contact most of the way but nothing too bad. The sun coming up to the right was beautiful, but a little distracting. My feet got a little cold even with the booties on but I am very glad that I bought them the day before the race! My watch said 1:22 when I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing!
Transition 1
  • 15m 43s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers are the best. Someone even unzipped my suit for me as soon as I got out of the water. Some people were leaving their wetsuits on for the run to T1 because of the cold, but I decided to just risk it. It was freezing when my suit came off! It had probably warmed up a degree or two from the start!! I had shoes stashed for the run as it was 400 yards on rough pavement. I spent a little extra time in the hot showers because it felt so good. The timing mats were just past the showers. And, much to my surprise and joy, they were handing out warming blankets! That made a huge difference in my comfort!
I thought that I hurried once I got to the changing tent, but my time surely does not reflect that. According to my watch, I was actually there about 10 minutes. The tent was so crowded it took me a while to find a spot to change. I dried off the best I could and put on so many clothes it was ridiculous. Most people I saw were completely changing so I saved some time by leaving my tri suit on. I have never seen so many naked buts and boobs in one place!!

Be faster.
Bike
  • 6h 57m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

As this was my first full, I wasn't sure how much to push. I kept telling myself to slow down on the first half. I could have gone harder. I did stop at SN and again thought I hurried, but was there for almost 10 minutes. I took off my tights, jacket and fleece jersey, and put on an unlined long sleeve jersey. My hands (with full gloves and hand warmers) warmed up at about mile 20. I threw out the hand warmers at the second aid station. My feet warmed up just before SN. I stopped twice to pee during the first half on the side of the road so that took another few minutes.

Push harder as I feel like I could have gone faster without it affecting my run.
Transition 2
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

Handed off bike to volunteer and called out my number. Someone handed me my bag. I took off my leg warmers and changed shoes. Went and used the real bathroom, where I realized I still had on my bike jersey. I had already tied and knotted my bag shut, but a nice volunteer took my bag and my jersey and took care of it for me.
Run
  • 4h 39m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

When I left the convention center I felt great! I saw Tom just outside cheering me on! I fell into a groove easily and just started ticking off the miles. I did tell myself to slow down a few times as I was afraid that I was going too fast. I wasn't sure what to expect as my longest run up to now had been 19 miles. The first lap was great but I was beginning to feel tired. About mile 20, my right hip really started to hurt and it was hard to run. That is where I started walking more than planned. I added another short period of walking during each of my run intervals. I was able to keep going that way and finish. At about mile 22 I realized that I was going to finish. Not only finish, but finish under my goal time. That helped me to try to ignore the pain in my hip and keep going!
My plan was a gel every 3 miles. I kept this up through mile 15. When I hit mile 18, the thought of another gel was just not appetizing. My stomach was not upset or anything, I just did not want another gel! I switched to Coke and Mt. Dew, which I had at a few aid stations, but I didn't like the carbonation. I tried one cup of chicken broth but it didn't do anything for me. I tried pretzels and they were fabulous! So, I switched to water and pretzels at each aid station until the end. It worked very well for me.

Nothing. I feel like this was a well-executed run given that much of it was uncharted territory!
Post race
Warm down:

Wrapped up in a heat blanket and put on my PJ bottoms to keep warm. Tom was right there at the finish line waiting for me and cheering for me. His smiling face and the pride he had for me were the best things of the day.
I was a little disappointed that I waited about 25 minutes and still no pizza.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:20 | 4224 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 23/34
Overall: 146/201
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot full with booties
Course: Straight down the Banks Channel to a left turn buoy, then wove to the Seapath Marina where we climbed out of the water using wooden ladders.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 15:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:57:51 | 112 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 100/201
Wind:
Course: Lollipop shape. Mostly flat except for a couple bridges and overpasses. Metal grate drawbridge sections were not bad at all on 2 of the bridges.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:39:01 | 26.2 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/34
Overall: 55/201
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course out around Greenfield Lake. Had to pass by the finish line 3 times before I actually got to cross it!
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-30 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-10-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4888587

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Congrats on the finish and congrats on beating your goal times!!

2013-10-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job with your race execution Karen!! you had an awesome race!! Congratulations!!

2013-10-31 6:25 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Camden, NC
Congrats on beating your goal, you should be proud! I beat my goals too and you look as happy in your picture as I felt! Can't wait for next year.
2013-10-31 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4888587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Congratulations! That's a great result from a whole lotta training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2272 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2085 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2422 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2327 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2435 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.