Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-02-07 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

Saw this today and wanted to share:
Why you're wrong about the biggest loser

I love this quote from Rachel: “To move forward in this life and to know that I can take control and do anything I want — it’s just, it’s been amazing,”
She’s ready to move forward, but the rest of the World seems ready to shame her for her journey.

Edited by lisac957 2014-02-07 9:12 AM

2014-02-07 10:31 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

Originally posted by Jtiger The point of the show is to make a bunch of money for the producers. They get viewership from "inspiring" people to get fit and to watch the contestants compete. Let's be honest it's a pretty boring show from a "competition" stand point. The part that keeps viewers coming back is that anyone can accomplish anything. Look these contestants who couldn't run 20 feet before are now running marathons and triathlons. It may not be intended to be a show about the eating disorders and self image in America but it is and they realize that. Should they have stepped in to tell the winner that she was to thin? No, I don't think so but it does convey a message to some people that "ultrathin" is in again. Should that be the new normal? I don't think so. Healthy should be the model of the physical form not skin and bones, IMO. I agree that she probably gained 10 pounds a few hours after the finale and it was done to win, which she did. It's a numbers game. Some people flat out can't win based on the math. She was young and had to lose a crazy percentage to win and she knew it an did it but working out 6-8 hours a day is pretty extreme for the average person with a full time job and a family. If that is perceived by the uninformed viewers that is what it takes to lose weight then it's a bad message to send. They will just see it as an unattainable goal and plop back down on the couch eating a pizza and ice cream. Wait... do I have any pizza?

Your first bolded is incorrect IMO, they get viewers from the drama.

If people can't figure out on their own the the biggest loser concept is not normal in real life then they are pretty durn dim. 

There is a show that does exactly what you want the BL to do. It is called extreme makeover weight loss edition. It follows one person for a year with monthly checkups. It is much closer to reality, and it is boring as he*l which is why no one has ever heard of it. 

2014-02-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Originally posted by Jtiger

Nothing wrong with doing what you have to do to win but this show is more than a simple weight loss competition. It inspired people to get off the couch and change their life. If the image they see is that you can only be a winner if you are built like Allie McBeal it's a bad image to sent to people, IMHO. Healthy is fine like Tara when she won but people who don't know any better...

That's the whole point. Tara looked great but she LOST. Helen edged her out by starving/dehydrating and looked terrible - but 250K terrible.

So Rachael didn't want to lose the same way. Edit - the last few seaons have been way less survivor/more weight-loss focus for those that haven't watched in awhile.

Edited by Khyron 2014-02-07 11:03 AM
2014-02-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Jtiger The point of the show is to make a bunch of money for the producers. They get viewership from "inspiring" people to get fit and to watch the contestants compete. Let's be honest it's a pretty boring show from a "competition" stand point. The part that keeps viewers coming back is that anyone can accomplish anything. Look these contestants who couldn't run 20 feet before are now running marathons and triathlons. It may not be intended to be a show about the eating disorders and self image in America but it is and they realize that. Should they have stepped in to tell the winner that she was to thin? No, I don't think so but it does convey a message to some people that "ultrathin" is in again. Should that be the new normal? I don't think so. Healthy should be the model of the physical form not skin and bones, IMO. I agree that she probably gained 10 pounds a few hours after the finale and it was done to win, which she did. It's a numbers game. Some people flat out can't win based on the math. She was young and had to lose a crazy percentage to win and she knew it an did it but working out 6-8 hours a day is pretty extreme for the average person with a full time job and a family. If that is perceived by the uninformed viewers that is what it takes to lose weight then it's a bad message to send. They will just see it as an unattainable goal and plop back down on the couch eating a pizza and ice cream. Wait... do I have any pizza?

If people can't figure out on their own the the biggest loser concept is not normal in real life then they are pretty durn dim. 

There is a show that does exactly what you want the BL to do. It is called extreme makeover weight loss edition. It follows one person for a year with monthly checkups. It is much closer to reality, and it is boring as he*l which is why no one has ever heard of it. 

I was going to say the same thing. The extreme make over is a tad more realistic. They do everything by quarters and goals. And even their make over is not as extreme. Some can be, but they also show the ones that struggled too. 

Whether she is too thin or not may be up for debate.... but how anyone can look at TBL and think there is any sort of normal to that show and what they do and be inspired that maybe others can do the same in their life is delusional. Yes there is worth in showing morbidly obese people can indeed change... but there is absolutely nothing "normal" or "healthy" about how they do it on the show. 

2014-02-07 2:28 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Aarondb4

You are absolutely right that a show that shows "realistic" weight loss is boring as he**.

There isn't much drama with Biggest Loser, IMO, unless you count Jillian's therapy sessions which make me cringe. Obviously this is a matter of opinion but I think we can fall back as a society to where thin is in again and that gets dangerous thin for women. As a father of daughters I'm paying attention to this. They aren't in any danger of becoming heavy by any stretch of the imagination but eating disorders are on the rise again with young girls.

I wasn't trying to slam the girl that won or anything else but it seemed really thin really quick but then again I watched sporadically this season.
2014-02-07 2:30 PM
in reply to: powerman

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by powerman

I was going to say the same thing. The extreme make over is a tad more realistic. They do everything by quarters and goals. And even their make over is not as extreme. Some can be, but they also show the ones that struggled too. 

Whether she is too thin or not may be up for debate.... but how anyone can look at TBL and think there is any sort of normal to that show and what they do and be inspired that maybe others can do the same in their life is delusional. Yes there is worth in showing morbidly obese people can indeed change... but there is absolutely nothing "normal" or "healthy" about how they do it on the show. 

You would be surprised how dim people are about fitness who have never been around it.

2014-02-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by powerman This notion of being "unhealthy" is funny. Her being 260 lb sitting on her butt 4-6 hours a day eating is unhealthy. Doing two spin classes is a good work out. 3 is a done workout. I mean my gosh, there are people on this site training for ultras. What the heck is normal about training for a IM? I hope she finds the athlete in her again. I'm sure if she got serious about competing again on any level she would eat apropiately instead of trying to win 250k in a weight loss contest.

Ha! Yeah, when I was HIM training I did 3 spin classes back to back because I didn't have a trainer at the time and I needed to ride 3 hours. 

2014-02-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: cjkelly0729

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by cjkelly0729 I was pretty shocked as well - I reminded myself from past seasons, that most of the finalest end up adding another 10-15-20 pounds from their finale weigh-in. National audience and 250K on the line will help motivate you to drop more than you normally would to try and win. Even Jillian looked bowled over ... She seems average to above average in height, so doesn't really matter how you cut it, 105 is thin ... and as a former athlete/swimmer probably well below what she was when she was at her most fit. I think it looked most dramatic in her face and is probably where some of the more derrogatory remarks are stemming from. Hopefully, after the win, she will level out a bit higher than 105 and have a long, healthy and active life ahead of her.

I am 5'4", with a small frame, and swam in High School. As I recall I weighed 120 lbs when I was in season and 115 lbs off season. Yes, 105 lbs for her height is too thin. But she was there to compete and win... and she won the money. I'd have to say that I'd probably do the same thing if that much money was on the line. Then I'd go eat a large pizza after the show!  

2014-03-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Calgary
2014-03-02 8:17 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I'd be interested in seeing what she looks like NOW - with the money won she can go to a more athletic build (or not, maybe that light is where she's supposed to be)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Biggest Loser 11/17 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 4608 Posts: 94

2009-11-26 11:50 PM tjh

Biggest Loser 11/10 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rnner66
Views: 2853 Posts: 53

2009-11-17 2:50 AM SpottedCow

Biggest Loser 11-3 SPOILER ALERT Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 2293 Posts: 34

2009-11-09 9:51 AM Magnum27

Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 5139 Posts: 93

2009-05-15 10:50 AM mellymedic

Biggest Loser 11/26/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1137 Posts: 11

2008-11-26 5:25 PM Spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.