Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-10-31 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!
Is anyone watching the newest season? http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/

I believe there has been 3-4 episodes thus far, and I haven't see a thread, so I'm starting one.

I think they are trying to improve the show. I like that it is only 1 hour (YES!), and the weigh in is quicker than it was before. They got rid of them voting someone off the losing team (at least for now they have), and the contestants are a lot less whiny this season.

2013-10-31 2:29 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

I agree.

And in the first 3 weeks two of the trainers have already used their "save".

2013-10-31 2:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!
Originally posted by rrrunner

I agree.

And in the first 3 weeks two of the trainers have already used their "save".

Yeah, I thought it was a bit too soon for them to use their saves.

2013-10-31 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I love the Biggest Loser and have only caught 2 episodes this season because my On Demand is always a few days behind. I like how they cut it down to 1 hour and make the weigh ins go quicker. Anyone have an early season favorite to take the title? I cant remember her name right now but the female who was a former swimmer, I think she might go all the way. It will be interesting to see what happens with Holly Mangold being that she was a former Olympic Weight Lifter. I am curious if she will trim down at all since she has always been a big girl.
2013-10-31 5:12 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
ooOOOoh I love this show, didn't know it was back on! Being one hour now sounds awesome. I'll have to see if I can watch on hulu (I don't have cable).
2013-11-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Pennsylvania

Yep, watching it again.  I was glad they did a little check-in with the Lindsay, one of the kids from last year.  Hoping they do the same with Biingo and Sunny. 

I'm favoring David and the swimmer girl or maybe Hap, although I agree keeping up with Ruben and Holly's progress will be interesting as well.

I was definitely in favor of the 1st week trainer save since I hate to see people tossed from the show even before they get going.

2013-11-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

This is the Fifth season I have watched BL, and I am SO HAPPY with the changes! Last season nearly ended my viewing, as it was just way too whiny and game-ish. I have always enjoyed it just for the motivation factor--seeing all these people and how they improve--not just weight, but their athleticism, it truly encourages me to get active more often. I am also glad they shortened it--less room for drama and the psycho-babble from the trainers (a little is okay, but when that was the majority of the time seen...ugh.)

I am rooting for the weightlifter girl, but I have found overall that no one is really 'grabbing' me as of yet....I think that as more of their personalities are revealed, I will have a favorite.

2013-11-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Pennsylvania

I know this has been mentioned before in previous BL threads, but I find eating challenges contradictory to the goal and to their training.  Why essentially (not not technically) force high calorie, high temptation foods that more than likely the contestants haven't had since arriving at the ranch?

2013-11-12 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

What. The. Heck???

2013-11-13 8:01 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by melbo55

I know this has been mentioned before in previous BL threads, but I find eating challenges contradictory to the goal and to their training.  Why essentially (not not technically) force high calorie, high temptation foods that more than likely the contestants haven't had since arriving at the ranch?

I think it's supposed to remind them that they aren't at the ranch forever. When they go back home they will be faced with the same temptations and they need to be able to manage them. At the same time it seems like you are giving and alcoholic in rehab a bottle of scotch to choose to gain an advantage.

I haven't been watching this season since I have no cable and no DVR. I never could stand to watch the show current but apparently HULU finally has it on HULU+ so I can watch it later. Will be watching on trainer rides. Seems to be my home now anyway is on the trainer.

2013-11-13 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I get what they are trying to do with the temptation but it doesn't simulate real life because there is external pressure to eat the candy. I guess that is possible in the real world but just "awe c'mon one won't hurt" kind of pressure rather than "letting your team down and someone goes home" kind of pressure.

2013-11-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ok I just caught a bit of this last night - but what's the deal on Jillian's caffeine supplements?

Sounded like she knowingly broke the rules by giving her team caffeine supplements, but when asked to make a statement said she preferred it over copious amounts of coffee (or something like that) and stood by her "professional opinion." And it cost her team 4 pounds.

I would have liked to know more about... all of that! 

Edit: article for reference

Edited by lisac957 2013-11-13 10:53 AM
2013-11-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by rrrunner

I get what they are trying to do with the temptation but it doesn't simulate real life because there is external pressure to eat the candy. I guess that is possible in the real world but just "awe c'mon one won't hurt" kind of pressure rather than "letting your team down and someone goes home" kind of pressure.

I think learning to fight temptation is only part of the reason they do it.  The other part is the entertainment value for the viewers.  This is a tv show that's fighting for ratings and ad revenue.  And there's a draw to watching some morbidly obese man who's never turned down pizza in his life get thrown in to a situation where they work out 12 hours a day and eat nothing but vegetables and lean protein, then suddenly there's this hot greasy pizza in front of him and we get to watch the internal struggle. It's like a driving past a car wreck, you don't want to look but you always do.  

2013-11-13 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by lisac957

Ok I just caught a bit of this last night - but what's the deal on Jillian's caffeine supplements?

Sounded like she knowingly broke the rules by giving her team caffeine supplements, but when asked to make a statement said she preferred it over copious amounts of coffee (or something like that) and stood by her "professional opinion." And it cost her team 4 pounds.

How did I not see any of that?!

ETA: Just realized I'm a week behind! 'doh!

Edited by rrrunner 2013-11-13 11:12 AM
2013-11-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Extreme Veteran

My guess is that in a couple of weeks there will be a sponsor coming on board who sells caffeine supplements that are approved by Dr. H.

My other impression is that there was an prior contractual appearance for Rueben and this was just a ploy to bring him back.

Finally - how much coffee are the contestants drinking if Jillian is complaining that it is better than unlimited coffee?
2013-11-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
There was no rule breaking. Plain and simple it was about Rueben. You can't have your number 1 draw for the season leave that early.

2013-11-15 8:17 AM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Originally posted by bradword

There was no rule breaking. Plain and simple it was about Rueben. You can't have your number 1 draw for the season leave that early.

GASP!!! Reality TV isn't real? The fix is in.

Dwayne
2013-11-16 8:20 PM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by bradword

Yep.

2013-11-17 5:34 AM

User image

watched the show in the past but the last few seasons there has been to much game playing wish that would try and stop that I have the people that are truly working the hardest and learning the most on living a health life style stay on. There should be more on how to live a health way rather then all the drama
2013-11-18 11:55 AM
in reply to: suefesta

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by suefesta

watched the show in the past but the last few seasons there has been to much game playing wish that would try and stop that I have the people that are truly working the hardest and learning the most on living a health life style stay on. There should be more on how to live a health way rather then all the drama

This season seems to have less drama. They aren't even voting people off. Instead the person with the lowest % of weight loss on the losing team goes home. And it only being an hour cuts out a lot of the BS filler as well.

2013-11-20 3:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by bradword There was no rule breaking. Plain and simple it was about Rueben. You can't have your number 1 draw for the season leave that early.
Yep.

Ha ha ha, last night when they featured him singing at his producer's house I thought of this discussion and chuckled to myself.

2013-12-02 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I just watched last week's episode.

First -- these people aren't losing any weight. Do you think the show is being more highly scrutinized?

Second -- I think Jillian is the one leaving the ranch. Until we got to the weigh in, I couldn't remember seeing her or Dolvett during the whole show. (Granted, I was grading papers while I was watching, so I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention).

I think this show is over. I hate getting to the weigh in and saying to myself, "Who is that person???" I don't know these people.

2013-12-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by bwingate

My guess is that in a couple of weeks there will be a sponsor coming on board who sells caffeine supplements that are approved by Dr. H.

My other impression is that there was an prior contractual appearance for Rueben and this was just a ploy to bring him back.

Finally - how much coffee are the contestants drinking if Jillian is complaining that it is better than unlimited coffee?

I have fast forwarding this show for years. How have I missed the fact these big cats are sucking up troughs of the strong brew. Ha.

Interesting take on this re: Rueben.

Jillian is a goof. She lost all her contestants last year and the same this year. She spends too much time making them cry.

When is this show on. "I can't wait to see who else is going home," said no one, ever.

I think it is time that there be 3 big heifers on this show and 18 trainers. And the heifers can boot off the trainers. They few bits of the show that I have enjoyed so far, besides the challenges (because watching these guys waddle to fill a trailer for the privilege of seeing their family is awesome, also said no one ever), is when Bobs crossfit crew comes by. I think it would be awesome to mix these people in with a crossfit crew, or a triathlon training group, or a marathon training group, or a weight training group or a hockey team or a dojo or MMA club. Just make that the show, what sport cuts you up quickest. That would make for awesome tv. This exercise for the sake of exercise and weight loss is getting so old.

And why in the world are they back to 25 minute weigh ins. AHHHHHHHHHHH

2013-12-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pennsylvania

Ruben - gone again, let's hope for good this time.  As much as I like the guy and want to see him do well, something's gotta be wrong with his eating or his workouts or something for someone of that size to only lose 2 pounds while others around him, although smaller, are losing much more.  I don't think NBC can find another creative way to get their celeb back again.

On a more positive note, I'm glad they showed Dolvett taking Rachel to the pool and letting her swim, good stuff.  She's been one I've rooted for from the start.

2013-12-04 9:49 PM

User image

I am personally glad that Ruben is gone, again. Hopefully for good this time. You could tell that he wasn't really there to lose weight. I could lose more than 2 lbs in a week, and I weight 132 lbs.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Biggest Loser 11/17 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 4623 Posts: 94

2009-11-26 11:50 PM tjh

Biggest Loser 11/10 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rnner66
Views: 2857 Posts: 53

2009-11-17 2:50 AM SpottedCow

Biggest Loser 11-3 SPOILER ALERT Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 2311 Posts: 34

2009-11-09 9:51 AM Magnum27

Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 5150 Posts: 93

2009-05-15 10:50 AM mellymedic

Biggest Loser 11/26/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1139 Posts: 11

2008-11-26 5:25 PM Spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.