Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-02-05 5:19 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

NC
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!
Originally posted by tcj103

I think they would call Chrissy Wellington "too thin" if they thought Rachel was too thin.

Well ...

BICYCLING: The biggest revelation in the book is your on-and-off battle with anorexia and bulimia through your career. What made you talk about it so publicly?
Wellington: It was hard to admit because people may see it as a sign of weakness. But I wanted to bring it to light for what it is—the product of obsessive-compulsive behavior. Women are more likely to acknowledge it, but it’s more prevalent in the tri fraternity than you’d expect. Men may not have the same social support and be willing to acknowledge it. But both genders suffer because you’re always trying to strike that delicate balance between power and speed and lightness.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/chrissie-wellington-...

2014-02-05 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by tcj103 I think they would call Chrissy Wellington "too thin" if they thought Rachel was too thin.
Well ... BICYCLING: The biggest revelation in the book is your on-and-off battle with anorexia and bulimia through your career. What made you talk about it so publicly? Wellington: It was hard to admit because people may see it as a sign of weakness. But I wanted to bring it to light for what it is—the product of obsessive-compulsive behavior. Women are more likely to acknowledge it, but it’s more prevalent in the tri fraternity than you’d expect. Men may not have the same social support and be willing to acknowledge it. But both genders suffer because you’re always trying to strike that delicate balance between power and speed and lightness. http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/chrissie-wellington-...

Exercise bulimia is no different than using laxatives, vomiting, etc to get to a certain weight/lose with/control body issues, etc. 

Not that this girl was, but I find the comparisons to athletes that go to extreme measures (anorexia in ballet?  anyone?  Bueller?) as the "go to" comparisons.  And anyone that read CW's book would know of her body image issues and the anorexia/bulimia

Edited by ChrisM 2014-02-05 5:31 PM
2014-02-05 5:39 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Elite

I'm actually a little shocked at the response... in general and here especially. She looked fantastic.... but I was wondering the same about skin... I mean she looked like a normal skinny person, not a skinny formerly big person... and she was big. Yes, 10 pounds easy from cutting... she weighed 115 next day easy. 115 for a 5'4" is not anorexic.

2014-02-05 6:56 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

In the USA, there are over 850 deaths per day (over 300,000 per year) due to obesity related diseases. In the USA there are approximately 145 deaths per year due to anorexia. I am not downplaying the issue, but the fact is being over weight is much, much more unhealthy and much, much more of a problem than being underweight. More people die each year due to obesity world wide than die of starvation world wide. If obesity was a bacterial or viral disease that caused this many deaths worldwide this would be classified as a pandemic.

I think she looked great. I am a 5'6" guy who weighs 130 lbs. I get the looks all the time and comments that I am too skinny. Well, that is just who I am, and I am not a ex-national swimmer. This whole fat is beautiful and we have accept that obesity is now new normal is just wrong. It is a real problem for health care systems worldwide.
2014-02-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

I think they would call Chrissy Wellington "too thin" if they thought Rachel was too thin.

Well ...

BICYCLING: The biggest revelation in the book is your on-and-off battle with anorexia and bulimia through your career. What made you talk about it so publicly?
Wellington: It was hard to admit because people may see it as a sign of weakness. But I wanted to bring it to light for what it is—the product of obsessive-compulsive behavior. Women are more likely to acknowledge it, but it’s more prevalent in the tri fraternity than you’d expect. Men may not have the same social support and be willing to acknowledge it. But both genders suffer because you’re always trying to strike that delicate balance between power and speed and lightness.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/chrissie-wellington-...

Oops, thanks. Guess I'm just as guilty as the quick conclusions many others were making. I had no idea Chrissie struggled with it, though not surprised at the OCD patterns in the tri world.

2014-02-06 1:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

This is the only social media area I can find where it isn't 99% in the "too thin" camp.

This! Everything on my Facebook has been calling her anorexic and of course they aren't the most active people that are commenting. It was refreshing to read the comments here and see that the whole world hasn't fallen into this trap of fat acceptance and lost sight of what normal body weight looks like. I was even more surprised honestly to see these kind of comments on here and not on that other tri site...

Edit: I also find it amazing that so many people are praising Rubeun for losing the weight he did although he is still morbidly obese and this girl is maybe 5-10 lbs underweight and is getting crap for it. /rant over

Edited by csikes 2014-02-06 2:11 AM

2014-02-06 7:38 AM

User image

NC
Borrowing this thought, but what would we all do in a weight-loss competition with $250K on the line? I know I would go full on Vision Quest. At weight in, I would be completely dehydrated and my system would be cleared with the help of medication. I would be underweight (not saying she is because I don't know). Also, I'm pretty sure I would regain a good chuck of weight in the few hours or days after weigh in. Some people I've seen freaking out about her weight loss are also praising the show itself - which is a weight loss competition.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-02-06 7:40 AM
2014-02-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Goosedog Borrowing this thought, but what would we all do in a weight-loss competition with $250K on the line? I know I would go full on Vision Quest. At weight in, I would be completely dehydrated and my system would be cleared with the help of medication. I would be underweight (not saying she is because I don't know). Also, I'm pretty sure I would regain a good chuck of weight in the few hours or days after weigh in. Some people I've seen freaking out about her weight loss are also praising the show itself - which is a weight loss competition.

This is exactly what I was thinking with the disclaimer that I also did not watch this season. It is a contest to see who can lose the most weight - she did. And I know without a doubt with that money dangling in front of me I would go psycho for the number on the scale. Heck, I don't even weigh myself now because I can get obsessed about it and there is NO money on the line!  When you have lost that kind of weight what is another 5 lbs?

Does she look good or not? Who cares - it is not the Miss America contest, it is a weight loss contest and she won.

2014-02-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

As I mentioned earlier, she's from my area and the local gym told the news that she worked out 4-6 times a day including 3 spin classes.  That is not normal behavior!

I also find the argument of "It's a weight loss competition, she did what she had to do" annoying.   For anyone who does watch the show regularly, the contestants and viewers all say all the time "It's not about the competition, it's about getting a chance to be healthy."  They added "trainer saves" this year to allow people more time on the ranch.  If it were just a game they would more ruthlessly pick people off who aren't keeping up.  But now that the winner is exhibiting very unhealthy activities, we're back to the contest again?

I agree that athletes of all kinds are forced to do things to their bodies to be successful.  Cyclists and ballerinas must be very thin, sumo wrestlers must be fat, football players get concussions.   These are not things that a normal healthy person should be doing.

The problem here is that Rachel had to lose around 55% of her body weight to win, based on previous statistics.  She would be cutting it very close based on her starting weight.  Compare her to Tumi, who won the at-home prize.  She lost 55% (compared to Rachel's 60) and weighed 140-something, and looked fit and healthy.  She was able to speak and interact coherently, etc.  

I think NBC needs to revise it's plan to set a bottom threshold for potential winners so they don't have to go to such extremes to win. 

2014-02-06 10:27 AM

User image

NC
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I also find the argument of "It's a weight loss competition, she did what she had to do" annoying.   For anyone who does watch the show regularly, the contestants and viewers all say all the time "It's not about the competition, it's about getting a chance to be healthy."  They added "trainer saves" this year to allow people more time on the ranch.  If it were just a game they would more ruthlessly pick people off who aren't keeping up. 

I think you are confusing the reality of a former competitive athlete trying to win $250K with an edited, scripted TV show trying to increase ratings. I don't watch the show regularly. The show uses weight as a metric because it's appealing to viewers, not because it is the healthiest for the contestants.

[Not addressed to BikerGrrrl] What I think is really interesting is the dichotomy between the acceptability of expressing concern (let's go with the genuine people, and ignore those that are outright insulting) for perceived too skinny people and the acceptability of expressing concern for perceived too obese people.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-02-06 10:31 AM
2014-02-06 10:30 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

NC

But now that the winner is exhibiting very unhealthy activities, we're back to the contest again?

Again, I didn't watch the show, but what are these very unhealthy activities - going to the gym 4-6 times/day? Also, did the show or any press say what she weighed during her competitive swim days?

2014-02-06 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl But now that the winner is exhibiting very unhealthy activities, we're back to the contest again?
Again, I didn't watch the show, but what are these very unhealthy activities - going to the gym 4-6 times/day? Also, did the show or any press say what she weighed during her competitive swim days?

Yes, I think going to the gym 4-6 hours a day is not normal.

She was an accomplished high school athlete.  Not to diminish the accomplishments of her and other young athletes, it's not like she was training for the Olympics...

I don't recall if they ever said what her weight was, but she appears to be less thin in pictures.    You can see a few here (bottom 3 stories):

http://search.kare11.com/default.aspx?ct=r&q=rachel+frederickson

She appears to be now much thinner than in high school, at least visually.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-02-06 11:33 AM
2014-02-06 11:41 AM

User image

NC

She was an accomplished high school athlete.  Not to diminish the accomplishments of her and other young athletes, it's not like she was training for the Olympics...

I don't recall if they ever said what her weight was, but she appears to be less thin in pictures.    You can see a few here (bottom 3 stories):

http://search.kare11.com/default.aspx?ct=r&q=rachel+frederickson

She appears to be now much thinner than in high school, at least visually.

I agree it's not normal to spend 4-6 hours in the gym a day (for most average people), but it isn't necessarily unhealthy. Also, as to her swim background, she was swimming AAAA and AAA times (assuming my search was correct). That's a bit more than an accomplished HS athlete and certainly wouldn't preclude her from training for the Olympics (I don't know how her times compared to Olympic cuts). Apparently, she was ranked 3rd nationally in the 100yd fly for 15-16yo's and, according to her, turned down several full swim scholarships.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-02-06 11:43 AM
2014-02-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

NC

One more thing here, as a 15-16yo elite club swimmer, I would bet there were periods of time that she was spending 4+ hours a day in the pool/drylands. Getting back to the point that this sort of work isn't something that's foreign to her.

2014-02-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4889319

User image

Elite
This notion of being "unhealthy" is funny. Her being 260 lb sitting on her butt 4-6 hours a day eating is unhealthy. Doing two spin classes is a good work out. 3 is a done workout. I mean my gosh, there are people on this site training for ultras. What the heck is normal about training for a IM? I hope she finds the athlete in her again. I'm sure if she got serious about competing again on any level she would eat apropiately instead of trying to win 250k in a weight loss contest.
2014-02-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by BigDH

Haters are going to hate right. She looked skinnier than any other contestant, her arms and legs, truly unbelievable. She is tiny. You know, maybe she is just a tiny person. And, obviously, she starved herself and dehydrated herself in the last week. But besides that, I mean once she drinks in the 5 litres of water she is down and fills her body back up with glucose she is going to put on 10 pounds easy.

What I don't get is her arms. It seems to me just about all the winners, even though they look good in the face and general body, there arms are always hanging this disgusting amount of fatty looking skin. Rachel seemed to have none of this. I don't quite understand that.

I will also add, although she obviously does not have the muscular development, her body type seems very close to say Chrissie Wellington or Ellie Greenwood. I mean super skinny women, but very very powerful.

It was there on the back near the arm pit when she waved to the audience when she won.

Not near as much as the other guys but it was there.

Not criticizing her at all I mean you lose 155 pounds and that happens. With her level of activity she will lay off that certainly since the goal day is over and she could stand to put back on a few pounds. Maybe it will all even out.

This was a contest after all and she won. Good for her.

2014-02-06 1:06 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would agree that 4-6 trips to the gym including 3 spin classes isn't "normal" to the general public..  

But In my heavy training days for IM.  That sounds like a light day, no?  3 hours on the bike plus some weight training vs 6 hour ride and an hour run brick?  3 hours of running the next day plus some swimming?

We all know that people that train/do IM's aren't "normal" either, but is that unhealthy?  Anyone know how much time competitive swimmers spend in the gym?  Professional athletes spend on the field/court and weightroom?

2014-02-06 4:22 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I've watched most BL seasons, and she was the most dramatic/severe. You really see how low she was in HD video vs just the pictures. The skin/lines around her mouth, how she moved... She looks way thinner than Calista Flockhart - and she had anorexia. I thought she looked really good at the end of camp (150 lbs).

But I don't blame her at for it. Season 7 Tara did the finale/look fit method and got beat for the 250K by the underdog (Helen) who dehydrated/starved herself to edge out a win. Rachael didn't want that to happen to her. Super competitive athlete wants to win. I bet she's already on the way to putting back 15-20 lbs and will look great.

2014-02-06 5:18 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

LOL some of the responses are hilarious? Really? Unhealthy? Is it normal to go to the gym 6 times a day? No. Is it normal to be in a competition to win $250k based on weight? No. Is Michael Phelps normal? Guess how much time he spent in the pool. Is any professional athlete normal for working out 6-8 hours a day? No.

Sure she may have weighed 105 at the show. I guarantee she weighed 115-120 the next day. 

My wife does bikini shows, she cut for two weeks and lost all kinds of weight and didn't have much to begin with. She looked a lot like this lady, a little gaunt in the face, but her muscles were quite defined and that is what she was going for. It wasn't easy but it wasn't going to kill her. Right after her show we went out for pizza, beer and ice cream and she weighed in 8lbs heavier the next morning. 

If $250k was on the line I would cut like a crazy person and I would gain a bunch of weight back right after. 

What is so wrong with winning? What is so wrong with doing what it takes to win a competition? She isn't in the hospital in a coma or anything. So many people are so concerned with everyone being a winner that they drag everyone down to the same basement level and when someone dares to achieve, everybody else gets all peeved off.

Absolutely silly IMO, and now I sound like LB, damn you BL thread!

2014-02-06 11:26 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

windsor, Ontario
I got into a discussion about this with a woman, and it ended when she stated that doing triathlons and marathons is unhealthy. I'd had about enough.
2014-02-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Aarondb4

LOL some of the responses are hilarious? Really? Unhealthy? Is it normal to go to the gym 6 times a day? No. Is it normal to be in a competition to win $250k based on weight? No. Is Michael Phelps normal? Guess how much time he spent in the pool. Is any professional athlete normal for working out 6-8 hours a day? No.

Sure she may have weighed 105 at the show. I guarantee she weighed 115-120 the next day. 

My wife does bikini shows, she cut for two weeks and lost all kinds of weight and didn't have much to begin with. She looked a lot like this lady, a little gaunt in the face, but her muscles were quite defined and that is what she was going for. It wasn't easy but it wasn't going to kill her. Right after her show we went out for pizza, beer and ice cream and she weighed in 8lbs heavier the next morning. 

If $250k was on the line I would cut like a crazy person and I would gain a bunch of weight back right after. 

What is so wrong with winning? What is so wrong with doing what it takes to win a competition? She isn't in the hospital in a coma or anything. So many people are so concerned with everyone being a winner that they drag everyone down to the same basement level and when someone dares to achieve, everybody else gets all peeved off.

Nothing wrong with doing what you have to do to win but this show is more than a simple weight loss competition. It inspired people to get off the couch and change their life. If the image they see is that you can only be a winner if you are built like Allie McBeal it's a bad image to sent to people, IMHO. Healthy is fine like Tara when she won but people who don't know any better think that looking gaunt is their goal physique and won't be happy until they do. That leads us to unrealistic goals and unattainable one. If someone has a weight loss goal and doesn't get there because they can't they can fall WAY off the wagon and go the other direction like they were before.

2014-02-07 7:51 AM

User image

NC
Originally posted by Jtiger

It inspired people to get off the couch and change their life. If the image they see is that you can only be a winner if you are built like Allie McBeal it's a bad image to sent to people, IMHO. Healthy is fine like Tara when she won but people who don't know any better think that looking gaunt is their goal physique and won't be happy until they do. That leads us to unrealistic goals and unattainable one. If someone has a weight loss goal and doesn't get there because they can't they can fall WAY off the wagon and go the other direction like they were before.

Then maybe the show should reward living a long term healthy lifestyle rather than stripping people down and putting them on a scale in front of judges to see how quickly they can lose an extreme amount of weight in a short amount of time. What image does that send to people that don't know any better? I have a feeling that show wouldn't last two weeks.

2014-02-07 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Nothing wrong with doing what you have to do to win but this show is more than a simple weight loss competition. It inspired people to get off the couch and change their life. If the image they see is that you can only be a winner if you are built like Allie McBeal it's a bad image to sent to people, IMHO. Healthy is fine like Tara when she won but people who don't know any better think that looking gaunt is their goal physique and won't be happy until they do. That leads us to unrealistic goals and unattainable one. If someone has a weight loss goal and doesn't get there because they can't they can fall WAY off the wagon and go the other direction like they were before.

the point of the show is to lose the most weight by percent to win a lot of money.  as far as BL contestants go - she wasn't that bad to begin with - and HAD to lose a lot to win.  the show is absolutely a weight loss competition.  having the luxury of a trainer, dietician, and no job distracting you from the goal does nothing to model a healthy lifestyle for the viewers.  if you wanted to do that, you would follow average people stuck at home with their jobs struggling to fit gym time in and struggling with learning to shop for and cook healthy meals and losing only a few pounds a week so that it's a sustainable life. 

that's really boring TV.

2014-02-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: mehaner

Master
Memphis, TN
The point of the show is to make a bunch of money for the producers.

They get viewership from "inspiring" people to get fit and to watch the contestants compete.

Let's be honest it's a pretty boring show from a "competition" stand point. The part that keeps viewers coming back is that anyone can accomplish anything. Look these contestants who couldn't run 20 feet before are now running marathons and triathlons.

It may not be intended to be a show about the eating disorders and self image in America but it is and they realize that.

Should they have stepped in to tell the winner that she was to thin? No, I don't think so but it does convey a message to some people that "ultrathin" is in again. Should that be the new normal? I don't think so. Healthy should be the model of the physical form not skin and bones, IMO.

I agree that she probably gained 10 pounds a few hours after the finale and it was done to win, which she did.

It's a numbers game. Some people flat out can't win based on the math. She was young and had to lose a crazy percentage to win and she knew it an did it but working out 6-8 hours a day is pretty extreme for the average person with a full time job and a family. If that is perceived by the uninformed viewers that is what it takes to lose weight then it's a bad message to send. They will just see it as an unattainable goal and plop back down on the couch eating a pizza and ice cream.

Wait... do I have any pizza?
2014-02-07 9:06 AM

User image

NC

If that is perceived by the uninformed viewers that is what it takes to lose weight then it's a bad message to send. They will just see it as an unattainable goal and plop back down on the couch eating a pizza and ice cream.

I don't watch the show. But, what message does the show send people about what it takes to lose weight? Because, as stated, a lot of people could simply say I don't have trainers, dietitians, ____ weeks to spend on a ranch to lose weight. The entire premise of the show seems unrealistic for a normal person. Remember when Oprah lost all that weight? How many people did you know that gave that same line, "Well, if I was as rich as her and had a chef, trainer blah blah blah, I could do that too."?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Biggest Loser 11/17 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 4630 Posts: 94

2009-11-26 11:50 PM tjh

Biggest Loser 11/10 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rnner66
Views: 2864 Posts: 53

2009-11-17 2:50 AM SpottedCow

Biggest Loser 11-3 SPOILER ALERT Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 2314 Posts: 34

2009-11-09 9:51 AM Magnum27

Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 5162 Posts: 93

2009-05-15 10:50 AM mellymedic

Biggest Loser 11/26/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1139 Posts: 11

2008-11-26 5:25 PM Spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.