No, but I realize it can happen.
No way! It'll never happen to me!
This is a multiple choice poll.

2013-10-31 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Have you DNF'd yet?

The other thread about handling a DNF got me thinking about what attitudes others have about it.

My attitude is that it can happen to anyone, and almost certainly will happen eventually to anyone who does enough races over the years.  Even if you manage not to make some race ending decisions, chance will catch up with you eventually.

It's happened to me one time so far.  It was at the 2011 Got The Nerve? sprint triathlon, a regional race of about 600 racers that I'd raced 3 times previously.  Long story short, the race was my 15 year old son's second tri, and his big race of the year.  I got into T1, noticed that he had a flat tire, tried to fix it, but couldn't , and ended up pulling the wheel off my bike and putting it on his so he could finish.  Here's my race report:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=259360

What do you think, and what have your experiences been?

Since a few lamented the departure of some past forum members in Fred's "Decline of BT" thread, I was going to post a picture of a kitten for you, but since today is Halloween, I decided to share a picture of our cat, Celli, instead, because it seemed more appropriate today:

2013-10-31 2:08 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Subject: RE: Have you DNF'd yet?

If you are going to DNF, go big or go home.  First IM, got me an ambulance ride and everything.

Sorta like the first ding in a new car.  Now that it's happened to me, while I wouldn't want it to happen again, I would have a different perspective about it.

2013-10-31 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Long story short, the race was my 15 year old son's second tri, and his big race of the year.  I got into T1, noticed that he had a flat tire, tried to fix it, but couldn't , and ended up pulling the wheel off my bike and putting it on his so he could finish.

Sorry, doesn't count as a DNF...that's father of the year s!@# right there, well done.
2013-10-31 2:14 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Never have I ever DNF'd a race and only had a couple DNF training sessions and they were bike mechanicals. I've cut sessions short, but always made it back home under my own steam. I am not so cocky to think it could never happen in a race though. I won't knowingly go into a race that I think I could possibly DNF due to existing injury, illness, or lack of training. I'd rather DNS than DNF, but I hate DNS too.

Right now I am scheduled for the Philly marathon but I have a wicked case of patella femoral pain syndrome, or runner's knee. I haven't run in over a week and I have pain still under certain conditions. I will not toe the start line on 11/17 if I think there's a chance I will DNF. I may or may not get a cortisone injection just to avoid the DNS, but the smartest play is to not get the shot and not race. I am not always smart. I would give my kid a tire though, for sure. 

2013-10-31 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

The superstitious part of me thanks you for kindly waiting until after my season ended before posting this, lest my answer of "No" ensure that I ended up not finishing my last race

Absolutely it can happen to anyone - in every race, even within our own bodies, there are things out of our control.  

We can only take care of what we can control (and that isn't much) - and we're at the mercy of the rest.  Sure, we can take steps to mitigate the risk factors, but they will never be fully eliminated.

I thank you for this, and in return, here is a bunny with a pancake on its head (Tom would approve):

2013-10-31 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cjhild
Long story short, the race was my 15 year old son's second tri, and his big race of the year.  I got into T1, noticed that he had a flat tire, tried to fix it, but couldn't , and ended up pulling the wheel off my bike and putting it on his so he could finish.
Sorry, doesn't count as a DNF...that's father of the year s!@# right there, well done.

Thanks, but it's not like I gave up a Kona slot.    It was just a regular early season 'B' priority race for me.

I didn't, and still don't, consider it a big deal.  I'd like to think I'd do the same in that situation for any team mate, coaching client, or friend too who was doing this as their "big race".  Not only for my son.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-10-31 2:22 PM

2013-10-31 2:19 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Never have I ever DNF'd a race and only had a couple DNF training sessions and they were bike mechanicals. I've cut sessions short, but always made it back home under my own steam. I am not so cocky to think it could never happen in a race though. I won't knowingly go into a race that I think I could possibly DNF due to existing injury, illness, or lack of training. I'd rather DNS than DNF, but I hate DNS too.

Right now I am scheduled for the Philly marathon but I have a wicked case of patella femoral pain syndrome, or runner's knee. I haven't run in over a week and I have pain still under certain conditions. I will not toe the start line on 11/17 if I think there's a chance I will DNF. I may or may not get a cortisone injection just to avoid the DNS, but the smartest play is to not get the shot and not race. I am not always smart. I would give my kid a tire though, for sure. 

I have the same attitude, Brad.  I've DNS'd several times for different reasons, and I've had coaching clients who have DNS'd if we decided together that racing wasn't a good idea.

2013-10-31 2:25 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

over a barrier
Tri - Yes -- flatted
Bike race - yes, all the time
2013-10-31 2:27 PM
in reply to: running2far

Master
Charlotte, NC
Yep, twice, my own stupid fault. Just wasn't trained enough. You would think I learned the first time but apparently I needed it to happen twice.
2013-10-31 2:33 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Twice.  Same course!

First oly was (supposed to be) the Philly Tri.  Got a blow-out coming down a hill on the first lap of the bike.  Put a 1" hole in my tire and I had nothing in my kit to use as a boot. Tried to ride on it with a new tube, but flatted again a few miles down the road.  Walked it back.  Always carry a $1 bill in my kit now, but never had it happen again.  Found a race (longish sprint) 2 weeks later to enter so that I could 'redeem' myself.  Turns out that 'back up' race is still one of my favorites to do, so the DNF had a happy-ish ending.

A few years later, on the same Philly Tri course, I was on the 2nd lap of the bike.  On a poor section of road, I let myself get forced into riding through some of the worst of it and nailed a pothole that I didn't really see in advance.  Got a flat which I tried to fix, but the tire "blew off" the rim when I tried to reflate it.  That's when I realized that the wheel had been "taco'd".  Walked it back again (much further this time, but still way too far to even think about walking it the rest of the course).

I was also close in a HIM this year.  Major cramps in both legs at the end of the swim.  Writhing on the cold, wet ground in T1 for about 20 minutes trying to relax and work them out.  Wondered why I was even thinking about going on, but ended up finishing the bike & run reasonably well and was glad I persevered.

2013-10-31 2:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Several DNF and DNS each. Largely injury concerns where it didn't make sense to keep going, or even start. It's great when people can get through everything, but I don't consider it a like a badge of honor. Life happens sometimes, this is just for fun.

2013-10-31 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Not yet.  Closest I came was at Mayor's Marathon last year, crippled up with cramps at mile 23.  Had there been a way to the finish line I would have DNFd but considering there wasn't, I got my butt off the ground after 15 minutes of pain and torture and ran it in to finish.  I've blown up but I have yet to DNF.  

2013-10-31 2:37 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

no DNFs but i was DFL in my second oly distance race.  that was even worse cause i should have known better, DFL purely due to not having eaten enough calories day of.  fell apart on the run.  was so mad at myself, i just left and stayed in bed all day.  i felt like a complete a55hat.

2013-10-31 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
The first triathlon I ever signed up for was Buffalo Springs 1/2 IM. I signed up because I thought the t-shirt looked cool. Note: not a good reason to sign up for a race!

I had done a few centuries and figured I could finish one of these. I did not respect the distance.

At least I had the good sense to do a sprint tri before toeing the line.

I made it to mile 2 in the run. I had to have my sock cut off because somehow I punctured my foot and the blood made the sock stick to my foot.

My other DNF was a 24 hour solo mtb race. I pulled the plug at hour 16 feeling nauseous and having severe back pain. I ended up in the hospital with kidney stones about 6 hours later.
2013-10-31 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I DNF'd a tri once. It was my own damn fault. I didn't look up the course or race bible at all beforehand. I just entered the tri last minute for fun with some other BTers. I didn't realize that the bike portion had 3 loops and I only did 2. I wasn't using a computer and didn't have a watch. I had a really awesome time before I DNF'd.

I've DNF'd bike races. I guess it is my own damn fault, but I rarely pull out on my own volition.

2013-10-31 2:44 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro

Nope.....but I keep trying.

2013-10-31 2:45 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Umm, here's a picture of my kitten!

(2013Sep14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013Sep14.jpg (68KB - 4 downloads)
2013-10-31 2:45 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
yes.

one DNF-during my third attempted triathlon-timing was poor and I was inexperienced at the time but basically bad luck (unless I was stupid also and pumped up the tire incorrectly...maybe I didn't even change the tire correctly...who knows

#1-swim cx in the Poconos (1/2IM)-finished the 2 disciplines of bike/run though
#2-finished 1/2IM as first tri @ Quassy
#3-DNF-blowout on the bike during sprint tri at Lake T coming out of T1-wrecked my leg ut fixed the first flat, ruined my race wheel fixing the second flat on the ruined rim>DNF
#4-IMLP-finished!
the list goes on now...

ironically discussed the timing of that race in a thread with some charged emotions-- regarding timing of races and risk, especially prior to IM....
2013-10-31 2:46 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Seattle

Not yet, but I've got a DNS and a DFL under my belt! 

2013-10-31 2:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Forgot, I've DNF'd at least one tri where I knew I coudn't run.  I think just one, can't recall another.    I had paid the hotel and race and just going for fun.  I don't see a problem starting a race you don't intend to finish if injuries prevent that

2013-10-31 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've DNF'd several times for various reasons. A couple running races due to injury (twisting my foot, which then caused me to miss two weeks of training and begin a very slow recovery, and also to miss the last half-marathon I'll likely ever enter). Several bike races after getting dropped out of the pack (in criteriums, lapped riders are pulled). A duathlon when the bolt holding up my Softride beam broke (only a half-mile in -- decided to just bail rather than ride the whole thing standing up). Never have DNF'd a tri (yet --  knock on wood).

2013-10-31 2:50 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ChrisM

Forgot, I've DNF'd at least one tri where I knew I coudn't run.  I think just one, can't recall another.    I had paid the hotel and race and just going for fun.  I don't see a problem starting a race you don't intend to finish if injuries prevent that

Ah!  The planned DNF.  It's easy to forget those.

2013-10-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

I didn't know we were supposed to include pics of our friends............. my hound:

(Dog.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dog.jpg (76KB - 6 downloads)
2013-10-31 2:54 PM

User image

Bronze member

Yes, my first race of this year (sprint) I got a flat out on the course and had to get a ride back. I turned in my chip and finished the run just because.

I really did not care one hoot since I just decided spur of the moment to race this event, it was only 20 min from my house and my race was comped because I volunteer for the RD. So, no harm done.

I've also raced a couple of HIM Aqua/bike that shows in the results as a DNF but in my mind I did what I set out to do so again - I don't care.

I race pretty much only small local races so I don't have to worry about a bunch of extra race stress.  You know that saying "Dream Big or go home", I'm the opposite. Stay home and don't stress . But I'm lucky that there are about 10 races ranging from sprint - HIM during the season (April - October) within 45 min of my house. If I had to travel and get a hotel and all that I really might not race at all!

If I had invested money on the race, travel fees, gas, annoyed my family with my training nonsense (only speaking of myself as annoying not a reflection of all triathletes ) and then DNF'd at a bigger event I would likely be a lot more upset about it.

2013-10-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by cjhild

Agree!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you DNF'd yet? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Rogillio
Views: 5712 Posts: 56

2013-10-19 12:00 PM Lock_N_Load

To DNF or not to DNF...that is the question Pages: 1 2

Started by triturn
Views: 3025 Posts: 37

2008-04-01 8:35 AM pshorty

Vote: What do you call a 'hilly ride' Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 2251 Posts: 31

2007-04-03 8:29 AM Machiavelo

1st Annual BT "Who's crashed while 'clipped in' poll"

Started by crpadiem
Views: 1766 Posts: 24

2005-04-06 8:15 PM nuke_angel

I need everyone's help - I don't want to look like a trapped chinchilla...

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 1495 Posts: 24

2004-09-08 6:01 PM JonnyP
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.