Other Resources Challenge Me! » November Break a Weigh Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-01 9:51 AM

User image

New user
Subject: November Break a Weigh
This could be the result of my Halloween candy hangover but I wanna stop stepping on the scale each morning.

I want to stop checking in on weight each day and just get a feel for how I am doing with my body as a gauge.

Anybody want to stay away from the scale with me in November and offer any thoughts/experiences through the month of how it goes for you?

Mary

2013-11-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: November Break a Weigh

I'd love to join you with this Mary.  Great idea!

2013-11-01 5:07 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Bronze member

I'll cheer you - hows that? I stopped weighing myself all the time years and years ago. I went through a period in high school of looking for happiness from the scale. At one point I weighed 98 pounds at 5'6" and I still was not happy - I just knew 95 lbs would be better.   I don't know what finally snapped me back to reality but I just learned I can't go there for my own sanity. So basically all of my adult life I just weigh in every couple, 3 or 4 months to check. That's it, I don't even look at the scale at the doctors office.

For me - I know when I am eating too much junk (or Halloween candy) and when my pants are too tight. I also know how to clean up my eating and feel better. I don't need a number on a scale to tell me that!

Best wishes!

2013-11-01 6:38 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

New user
Originally posted by trigal38

I'll cheer you - hows that? I stopped weighing myself all the time years and years ago. I went through a period in high school of looking for happiness from the scale. At one point I weighed 98 pounds at 5'6" and I still was not happy - I just knew 95 lbs would be better.   I don't know what finally snapped me back to reality but I just learned I can't go there for my own sanity. So basically all of my adult life I just weigh in every couple, 3 or 4 months to check. That's it, I don't even look at the scale at the doctors office.

For me - I know when I am eating too much junk (or Halloween candy) and when my pants are too tight. I also know how to clean up my eating and feel better. I don't need a number on a scale to tell me that!

Best wishes!

Cheering is awesome and welcome, thank you! It sounds as if you are in a very great place with your monitoring of this. Thanks for sharing!

Mary
2013-11-01 6:42 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by switch

I'd love to join you with this Mary.  Great idea!

Elesa, I am pleased you are interested.

We may be a small group but I am interested in hearing how this goes for anyone interested in trying it.

Mary

2013-11-04 10:18 AM

User image

New user
I have enjoyed not weighing so far.

This sport has lots of numbering stuff to keep up with, this makes one less thing!

I have dwelt on weight for a long time now. I have lost a great deal of weight over the last several years and it has been amazing. Now that I am down to a reasonable weight and getting much fitter I want to lose the daily scale focus.

Please share how you keep track of your own scale/non scale balancing act.

Thanks BT and have a great Monday.

Mary

2013-11-04 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm trying to lose four pounds during November and it is really tough given my eating habits.  When I get into weight lose focus periods I am really bad about scale watching and it gets really frustrating because of the fluctuations from day to day.  Last week I had a three pound swing from one day to the next (and not in the right direction).  It made no sense to me even trying to compensate for extra fluids I drank after a hard workout and what I had eaten that evening.  It was a little demoralizing.

This week I vow to stay off the scale.  I know if I am diligent I'll get where I want to be and don't need to put myself on a roller coaster.  I don't think I can go the whole month without weighing but will stay off as long as I can.

2013-11-04 3:53 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hey Mary and Steve :)

I have gone through periods in my life when I have weighed very, very regularly.  It was just part of the routine.  Get up, coffee, bathroom, run, shower, weigh, go about my day. Rinse/Repeat.  Then I would go through long stretches of not weighing at all.  For the most part, my weight stayed just about right on, with a few seasonal swings;)

I have been weighing myself probably once a week over the course of the last year.   I really don't like weighing regularly as I think I can get a little weird about it.  Like you said Steve, having a big swing one day and not being able to attribute it to anything can be a bummer, and I don't want to be getting too whacky with my food because I think that will limit my ability to really nail my workouts. 

I build muscle pretty easily for a woman.  Tri training has changed my body quite a bit, and so the food quantity and training volume compared to when I was just running is pretty different, as is my body's response to it.  For example, when I'm just running, I know when I'm at a good weight for me because of how my watch fits.  However, if I'm swimming regularly or in a swim focus--like I am now--that isn't an accurate guide, as my forearms and arms really get remarkably bigger with swim volume. Same thing with running v biking.  My pants fit differently if I'm doing a lot of biking.

So I'm trying to get used to having some good indicators aside from the scale, but I feel like because I'm still so new to tris, by body is still adapting to the training stress quite a bit.

What I think would be IDEAL would be if I could just shift my eating to primarily fueling and recovery for my am and lunch workouts, and really minimize my nighttime meal and grazing.  I know I can get in trouble with my resolve if I have a beer (or 3), so, as much as I hate to admit it, if I really want to be careful about things, I might need to limit my alcohol too :

So this challenge comes at a good time Mary.  I'll see where I'm at at the end of the month--Thanksgiving and all :)

2013-11-04 6:40 PM

User image

New user
Steve, I am glad you are jumping in for at least a week! I agree it can be demoralizing when you don't see the numbers change according to what you feel you are doing.
I hope you find this break helps you with not feeling a daily pressure.

2013-11-04 6:47 PM

User image

New user
Elesa,
I like your idea of approaching your day with a general meal plan for balance.

I know if I manage breakfast and lunch well that I am more likely to just naturally make good dinner choices. I go into the evening feeling physically good and want to keep it going.

I have used my fitness pal regularly this past year. While I think it has been Very valuable, I have learned so much that I just think I could do a lot of it now through my acquired knowledge of what a solid diet and exercise day looks and feels like.

I have some jeans I am back into that will work well this month for a mid month progress check, they are tight but wearable, squeeze into-able!
2013-11-07 7:43 PM

User image

New user
Anybody having difficulty/ease with not weighing.

I like it for the most part however this morning I really wanted to know where I was. Early morning, hadn't eaten or drank so perfect time to REALLY know where you are right??
Seems silly to think that since it is a dehydrated weight.

Anyway plugging along doing my usual thing, will see where it goes!

2013-11-07 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I actually almost forgot and was about to weigh yesterday, and then I remembered the challenge, and I was relieved :)  This is not a good time of the month for me to weigh anyway, and it was nice to just avoid that.  Even though rationally I know how much my body swings for this 4-5 days, I still can get bummed when it does. Silly me.

Thanks Mary!

p.s. I have a beer in my hand and a pumpkin pie in the oven. Lol!

2013-11-08 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

This has been kind of tough.  I'm tempted every morning to weigh even though I know I'm not losing the weight that I want to.  I have been slipping less with the night time junk food and one night I had a baked potato for dinner so maybe it's not as bad as I think.. I've been very busy so I've hit McDonalds more than I've wanted to.  One day I had lunch and dinner there.  Bad, bad, bad.     

2013-11-09 8:18 PM

User image

New user

I actually almost forgot and was about to weigh yesterday, and then I remembered the challenge, and I was relieved   This is not a good time of the month for me to weigh anyway, and it was nice to just avoid that.  Even though rationally I know how much my body swings for this 4-5 days, I still can get bummed when it does. Silly me.

Thanks Mary!

p.s. I have a beer in my hand and a pumpkin pie in the oven. Lol!

I am glad you had a reason Not to weigh!
Beer and pumpkin pie sound really good together, who would have thought?
2013-11-09 8:24 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by popsracer

This has been kind of tough.  I'm tempted every morning to weigh even though I know I'm not losing the weight that I want to.  I have been slipping less with the night time junk food and one night I had a baked potato for dinner so maybe it's not as bad as I think.. I've been very busy so I've hit McDonalds more than I've wanted to.  One day I had lunch and dinner there.  Bad, bad, bad.     

I agree that it has been tough. I think it is more than just habit, I really want that specific measure......
Hitting fast food that one day didn't derail you, especially since you feel like you are leaning toward the side of slipping less.

I have eaten lunch out the last three days which is really unusual for me now. I felt good though because I just adjusted the rest of my day and exercised as usual. I do like not obsessing about what each day eating out 'shows' on the scale the next morning.

2013-11-14 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

How's it going for you guys?

I don't know if it's because I agreed I wouldn't do this for a month or what, but over the last week I've found I want to see what's going on.

Dinner and late night food stuff has been much better, but I'm also eating much bigger breakfasts than normal, so it may be a bit of a wash calorically.  I have also been swimming quite a bit, and my bras and shirts feel tighter than normal, so that makes me want to see if that changes the scale. 

For me, it really isn't about how I look--I feel like that is not made or broken by five or ten pounds, but I really think my run would be MUCH improved if I were lighter, and it really is a damn balance when I am needing to eat to be fueled for training and I build muscle with the swimming and cycling.  If I'm low on calories (~500/day), I really feel that on my second workout of the day.  I might just need to get more comfortable with going to be hungry.  I really like cooking and eating with my family, but I need to do a better job of just being there and not necessarily participating if I want to get to any kind of "race weight".

2013-11-14 8:56 AM

User image

New user
Hi Elesa!

It is funny how deliberately stepping back from a habit makes me want to do it more. I have really been wanting to see where my weight is. I also like just going with this.

Glad to hear some of your food habits are going better for you. Are there some more calorie dense foods that might help with your hunger issues.

I have been off work due to some post concussion issues from a wreck I had last month.
The extra time at home and disruption to my usual eating routines have been challenging. I am doing ok with it but it just occurs to me much more often that I would like to eat something.

I also have more exercise time! My two puppies have enjoyed the walks!
2013-11-14 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Chunga Hi Elesa! It is funny how deliberately stepping back from a habit makes me want to do it more. I have really been wanting to see where my weight is. I also like just going with this. Glad to hear some of your food habits are going better for you. Are there some more calorie dense foods that might help with your hunger issues. I have been off work due to some post concussion issues from a wreck I had last month. The extra time at home and disruption to my usual eating routines have been challenging. I am doing ok with it but it just occurs to me much more often that I would like to eat something. I also have more exercise time! My two puppies have enjoyed the walks!

Mary, I completely missed that you were in a wreck or had concussion issues--woah!  I  hope you're OK.  Hugs.

It's a known fact that puppies make everything better.  Snuggling puppy ears or puppy bellies can cure me of anything :)

2013-11-14 1:47 PM

User image

New user

Mary, I completely missed that you were in a wreck or had concussion issues--woah!  I  hope you're OK.  Hugs.

It's a known fact that puppies make everything better.  Snuggling puppy ears or puppy bellies can cure me of anything

Thanks Switch. And yes puppy love is a beautiful thing! We have a 5 month old and then got a 4 month old foster a week ago! WOW!, energy galore! And fun

I meant fiber dense above, not calorie dense.
2013-11-18 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think last week went a little better.  Since I had to back off a little on my running due to a sore tendon it gave me more motivation to step up and keep moving ahead by losing a little weight.  I think I made better choices.  I've stayed off the scale and it is getting easier to just go by feel as far as whether I'm making progress.  Hope you all have a good week.

2013-11-20 6:51 PM

User image

New user
Steve, glad this week was better for you! Look at you, the month is over half done and you are still doing this!

It is nice going by 'feel', I have liked it and the break from a daily focus of a number.

Amazing to me that November is 2/3 through.

You guys done with your shopping??
I have a Thanksgiving due date for lists for the children in my life. The adults don't do gifts which helps a lot of different ways.

2013-11-23 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Shopping?  Christmas shopping?  Lol, I haven't really even started, but we don't do a lot in the way of gifts at Christmas time.  We usually get the kids one nice present.  The grandparents and great aunts go buckwild on the kids at Christmas, so for us to do much it would just end up being ridiculous.  I sometimes feel like it's already ridiculous, but I know it gives them great pleasure to "do" for the kids.  This year we are going to Australia for a month, and that is our family present. 

We have tried very hard to keep Christmas about traditions--a beautiful tree that the kids (for the most part) decorate the night before, a really good brunch and Christmas dinner, and just good family time.  We read lots of books this month that are the Christmas/solstice/holiday books and my kids love that. 

This has been a great idea, Mary.  I am very curious to see how things will be at the end of the month, but I can tell by clothes, my watch, my rings, that I'm down.  I'm guessing 3-4 lbs.  My training volume has gone up steadily over the month, and that combined with the food shifts and trying to be better at night has helped quite a bit.  I'm very glad I got this set in motion before the holidays. Thank you :)

2013-11-23 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I hate to admit but we've had our Xmas tree up for a week now.  Just lights, we'll decorate after Thanksgiving.  We have a tree in my office that several years ago we decided to leave up year round and we redecorate it every month or so for Valentine's, St. Pat's, Fourth of July, etc.  I usually wait until Black Friday to launch into my shopping and have it all done in a week.  This year the big focus is on my Dad.  I'm restoring a car of his that he thinks he gave to my son and going to give it back to him for Xmas.  It was my Grandma's car that she gave to him when she died twenty years ago and he never got around to restoring it though it has been a dream of his.

The weight thing has been up and down.  I seem to have good days and bad that are influenced by work stress.  I really wanted to lose some weight but I'm not feeling it.  I guess I'm not too worried about it because I doubt I've gained.  My desire to lose weight is mostly driven by the impact that it will have on my performance and since I've made some big gains from my training again I'm not too worried.  Maybe January I'll launch into a major weight loss push.

2013-11-24 9:59 PM

User image

New user
Steve, that is such an amazing gift you are working on! That made me smile. Such a wonderful gift and a loving thing to do! I am glad the weight fluctuations aren't getting you down. Seeing fitness gains regardless of whatever your weight is doing is progress.

Elesa, your holiday plans sound incredible! A fabulous destination and a month away as a family. That is wonderful for you. Thanks for the kind words about this challenge. I have enjoyed talking with both of you through the month.

I am doing well and actually enjoying this. I may start weighing once a month or so. It has really taken pressure off the unnecessary focus I was giving the scale on a daily basis. I do think I need some kind of regular check to ensure I am not going too far in the wrong direction. I think I have lost a few pounds just going by feel. Bought some new jeans yesterday in a smaller size and they fit! Never just buy em and bring em home like that so that was fun!
2013-11-27 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Mary--congratulations on the new jeans.  Awesome :)

Steve--that is one of the coolest presents I have ever heard about.  So, so, touching.  I can't imagine your dad's reaction...so awesome!

I hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy all of the yumminess.  I love the Thanksgiving meal :)

I think this challenge has taught me that every day weighing really isn't for me.  I don't know if I'll go a month at a time, but I can definitely see once a week or maybe once every two.  It's been a great exercise.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » November Break a Weigh Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

November Challenge Team Rosters are posted

Started by D001
Views: 1376 Posts: 12

2007-11-02 9:50 AM D001

November "You Choice" Challenge Team Wild Hippo's Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by kaqphin
Views: 24037 Posts: 809

2007-12-02 8:27 PM kaqphin

November "Your Choice" Challenge Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by D001
Views: 21986 Posts: 573

2007-12-03 11:19 AM D001

November Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by nccgrap
Views: 5404 Posts: 57

2007-10-25 12:39 PM D001

Flexibility Challenge - NOVEMBER

Started by MandiGayle
Views: 2571 Posts: 9

2006-12-01 2:13 AM MandiGayle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.