Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-02 8:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Swim Fins and Kickboards

I have a topic that I have wanted to bring up for some time. It is a topic that may stir some heated debate however the discussions in a recent thread (Decline of the BT Community) has given me hope that perhaps we may be able to have a meaningful debate. I am not trying to change any minds, rather I am interested in answering the question, “Why?”

First, a bit of my background for those of you that don’t know me. I was a fairly successful competitive swimmer for over 15 years. After I hung up my competitive Speedo, I coached an age group team for another 12 years. For the past 20 years, I have worked one-on-one with individuals seeking to improve their swimming ability. When you add it all up, I bring over 45 years of experience to the pool with me and I don't understand something.

Over the past several years, swim fins and kickboards have become in-vogue for training. I frankly fail to comprehend why. During the height of my swimming career I was swimming 12-15,000 meters per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That works out to more than 350,000 meters per month. Not one time, in more than 15 years of competitive swimming did I put on a pair of swim fins during a workout. I don’t recall using a kickboard for more than 500 meters in a month during the same time.

As triathletes, we are primarily interested in freestyle. In my opinion, body roll is the single most important aspect of the freestyle stroke, and the timing of the kick is crucial to proper body roll. Using a kickboard does NOT help to develop timing or body roll. In fact, it can help to develop bad habits as the kickboard promotes NO body roll.

I hear the argument on almost a daily basis that swim fins will help to improve ankle flexibility. I will concede that may be true, however, targeted stretching exercises will improve flexibility in less time without the danger of developing bad habits. Artificially increasing your speed through the water with fins alters the catch – a fairly important aspect of the stroke. Additionally, the artificially increased speed alters the pull and push, again altering important aspects of the stroke. Finally I hear how fins will strengthen your ankles and legs. Perhaps. However, you can also do the same thing – more quickly – with a targeted weight program in the gym.

I have this sneaking suspicion that some of the drills and aids that have become popular are in effect “crutches” for overworked coaches. (Coaches out there, please don’t get your knickers in a knot until you hear me out). I have been a coach. I know what it is like to be on deck when 50+ swimmers are in the water, looking to you for guidance. It is impossible to give one-on-one attention to that many swimmers the instant they need the attention, every single day, day in and day out. So, drills and aids have been developed and added to the training process. Not necessarily a bad thing, until it takes away from the stroke fundamentals – which is what I fear often happens, because there is not the one-on-one attention. Kind of a vicious circle.

Have times changes in the 30 years since I hung up my competitive Speedo? Undoubtedly. That said however, to date nobody has been able to present valid counter-points to my arguments against fins and kickboards.

So, am I way off base? I think swim fins have NO place in a swim workout and kickboards have only marginal value at best. I am anxious to hear differing opinions.

2013-11-02 9:27 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Swim Fins and Kickboards

I don't have anywhere near your swimming pedigree, with only a few years as a competitive swimmer, a few seasons as a volunteer assistant high school swimming coach, 6 years racing triathlons, and two years coaching endurance sports but, I couldn't agree with you more!

I don't even own a pair of fins, and my kickboard hasn't gone along to the pool in about 6 months.

IMO, these tools, along with others such as pull buoys and snorkels, and drills do tend to be overused by a huge factor.  I'm not certain why they are, but suspect you may be right about them being "crutches", but I don't think it's coaches.  Most of the coaches I know don't use them very much, and have a good understanding that everything we do training needs to have a purpose.  It seems to be more of the individual athletes who become reliant on them to compensate for technique flaws, and they stick with them, because it's easier than doing the hard work necessary to actually improve.

I feel they all have a use, but most athletes don't understand what they are for, and just plug away with them in hopes that something will click and they will become better swimmers.  I see the same thing with drills all the time.  For example, any time someone here posts a thread asking what are the best drills, you will see a dozen people chiming in suggesting various drills rather than asking some questions about what the person is trying to accomplish first so they can suggest the appropriate drills.

Thanks for jumping back in and starting this thread even though you felt you were blown off in another thread about swimming earlier this year.  It's good to have more people contributing here with your level of experience.  Thanks, Scott.

2013-11-02 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmmm....I will NOT say "pass the popcorn", but I bet this will get a lot of debate! I'm not nearly as qualified as you to judge this, though I do have some competitive swimming (age group and HS) and coaching experience (assistant coach for our school team for several years). I'm currently a fairly strong tri swimmer (about 1:40/100m pace for a 1500m in a pool) but rarely the first out of the water.

I personally don't recall fins being used at all in our training as kids/teens, except perhaps when teaching young kids how to do butterfly and maybe backstroke. This is the only context in which I use them now, so that beginners can get a sense of the correct body position for those strokes. Often the youngest kids (7-8) simply haven't developed the leg and core strength to maintain proper position and an effective kick for those strokes. So we do some dolphin kick (front and back) sets to work on core strength, and use them a little to get them to understand the timing for fly, then wean them off. Otherwise they're strictly for parties and the occasional "fun time" after a big meet.

I train by myself since there is no master's group nearby and use a lot of online workouts, in particular those on Sara McLarty's NTC blog and more recently have been checking out the Magnolia Masters site. I've noticed that both use a lot of "pool toys" in sets, for all levels of swimmers. Sara's in particular uses a lot of pulling with paddles; Tim's a lot of swimming with fins. Even for warmup. I fail to understand why this is necessary for swimmers beyond the beginner level. (The latter has fin sets for 4000m+ workouts, so it's definitely not beginner-oriented.) I'd be interested to hear the rationale for this. I've talked to our head coach, who has extensive collegiate and coaching credentials, about this, and she agrees it is not advisable for a proficient swimmer to be using them more than 10-20% of a workout, if at all, and that they are for very specific goals: paddles for developing strength once one's stroke is efficient, and fins to occasionally get a "feel" for a faster pace (i.e. for a few hard 100's). Our HS swimmers do not use these aids at all, only the elementary beginners occasionally with fins.

I'm curious what the more qualified coaches than myself think about these aids. I'm reluctant to incorporate a lot of something into my workout that I obviously can't use in a race, and am really curious what the rationale would be both for more beginning and proficient swimmers.
2013-11-02 10:06 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Bronze member

No clue but very interested because I can't stand all that stuff. The fins irritate my feet, kick board is just slow and boring. If I see them in a workout I think I "should" be using them so I do and wonder how it is helping me. If it's ankle flexibility, for me that is way the wrong call because I've spent a couple years and some therapy trying to tighten up the tendons in my feet and ankles!

Thanks for opening up the discussion.

2013-11-02 10:23 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here. Occasionally enjoy the "zoom" sensation from doing a few laps of fly with the fins, but they aggravate a nerve issue with a few of my toes. And I'll admit, I almost never do kick sets unless our masters coach in Oregon sets them. Even then, we often have a choice between a kick or pull set. She's an FOP ironman swimmer as well as a swim and tri coach, and doesn't feel they're that useful in my case. I have an efficient kick for a distance swimmer, and my legs get enough workout from running and biking. At most I do a few hundred meters of kicking during the warmup, maybe 100m max with a board, so for me it's a non-issue.
2013-11-02 11:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

Good topic to bring up! I have questions on the kickboard part and will try to stay coherent.  I'm being taught what's been explained as more of a flatter body position (less rolling from side to side) as compared to awhile ago and that using a board or not for kick sets had less relevance to the body roll, since there is less of it in the actual stroke. What do you know about changes in stroke technique that current swimmers up at your level are using? My coach has done well and seems to explain things well, but is not at the level you have been, so would be curious what differences you see up at the level you were performing at. I don't know what's "right", so trying to get a bunch of the best info I can to put things together.

2013-11-03 8:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

Good topic to bring up! I have questions on the kickboard part and will try to stay coherent.  I'm being taught what's been explained as more of a flatter body position (less rolling from side to side) as compared to awhile ago and that using a board or not for kick sets had less relevance to the body roll, since there is less of it in the actual stroke. What do you know about changes in stroke technique that current swimmers up at your level are using? My coach has done well and seems to explain things well, but is not at the level you have been, so would be curious what differences you see up at the level you were performing at. I don't know what's "right", so trying to get a bunch of the best info I can to put things together.

x2! Great topic to bring up!

Unfortunately ...

I totally agree with the OP, so not much debate here .

To be clear, I don't teach people front crawl from scratch, and I don't know how to. They've got to have something that already could possibly be considered resembling front crawl to begin with, even if it's horrible. Maybe people teaching, and learning, front crawl from scratch have ways of using kickboards and pull buoys (and maybe even fins) that are beneficial. I honestly don't know.

Folks I coach individually or in small (really small! we're growing!) groups, for the ones doing structured swim training for the first time (and some of them are actually decent swimmers but were self-taught with videos and practice, maybe a little feedback, or surfers/other water people), I really prefer they don't use any of the 'toys.' The learning curve might be steeper, but what that means is they catch on to good body position and water feel more quickly.

The ones who have been in a structured program/coaching, or are pretty advanced swimmers, I usually leave it up to them. At this point, their swimming isn't suffering because they occasionally use boards, fins, buoys, paddles, or other toys and they can be useful for swim-specific strength training (kinda like doing hills on the bike or running). But I still wouldn't say they're necessary.

I'm also really interested in hearing the OP's perspective on relatively more recent developments/thought in aspects of swim stroke technique, especially at the higher levels.

I do and have had the privilege of picking some of the best minds in current distance swim training thought and coaching. What I've learned is that while there are elements of a strong, efficient stroke and swim training that are common to all good swimmers, HOW those elements are learned/incorporated and how exactly they are executed can be very different from swimmer to swimmer.

Body roll is an interesting one. From my observations many swim coaches have moved from framing it as your body being a board that rolls from side to side (kind of like, say, a raft with a pole running down the middle of its length) to describing the movement as actually being diagonal across the torso, and yes, originating from the kick. There used to be a lot of emphasis placed on being at nearly a 90-degree angle from water level, on your side.

However, the thing is, one of the commonalities in good distance swimmers is that you DON'T see their shoulders dipping down deep into the water. There's a lot of movement and "roll", but not a straight-board, shoulders-across-from-each-other, in-line-with-hips tipping onto the side. So coaches are using different analogies to describe the ideal motion.

One of the best descriptions (and there are two great videos here, too) comes from Sheila Taormina: serape swimming.

2013-11-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I like to throw in a few 100s of kicking because it really works my hipflexors which in turn helps my running/biking. I don't do it to help my swimming.

There are so many different styles of swimming and different people promoting their products and swimming styles that in the end its about today's marketing strategies. Back in the 80s, were there swim specific style of fins even available? I only ever remember seeing snorkling/scuba diving fins.

Edited by LPJmom 2013-11-03 2:26 PM
2013-11-03 2:50 PM

User image

If I'm reading the responses correctly some people seem to be saying something like "I agree with you that fins have no place in a swim workout, but they do have some place in a swim workout if X,Y, or Z".

OP stated they have "NO place in a swim workout".

2013-11-03 6:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I personally don't recall fins being used at all in our training as kids/teens, except perhaps when teaching young kids how to do butterfly and maybe backstroke. This is the only context in which I use them now, so that beginners can get a sense of the correct body position for those strokes. Often the youngest kids (7-8) simply haven't developed the leg and core strength to maintain proper position and an effective kick for those strokes. So we do some dolphin kick (front and back) sets to work on core strength, and use them a little to get them to understand the timing for fly, then wean them off. Otherwise they're strictly for parties and the occasional "fun time" after a big meet.

In the case of young children, while I don't necessarily agree with using fins, I at least understand the rationale.  When I posted my original comments, I wasn't so much talking about kids.  I was thinking more along the lines of reasonably fit triathletes (or swimmers for that matter).

2013-11-03 6:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Hot Runner

. . . and that they are for very specific goals: paddles for developing strength once one's stroke is efficient

I absolutely agree with the use of paddles, although not for developing strength - you can develop strength more efficiently by adding a targeted program in the weight room than you can in a pool.  However, in my opinion, paddles are an EXCELLENT way to identify and correct flaws in one's stroke.  If your hand position is even fractionally off, paddles will illustrate that improper form immediately and that is true of all of the strokes, not just freestyle (front crawl).  Paddles help to make a stroke efficient and more powerful so I think they should be incorporated early and often in a swimmer's (triathlete's) training and utilized on a somewhat regular basis as an athlete progresses - I typically use paddles during a workout or two in a recovery week to revisit stroke mechanic fundamentals.

2013-11-03 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
My experiences with regards to fins/kickboards:

Youth development: No fins/some kick boards
College: No fins, little kick boards, more kicking drills w/o boards
Masters: No fins, some boards, some drills, some toys
Swimming w/ Triathletes: lots of kick boards, some fins, lots of toys in general

People claim to use kick boards to increase their ROM in the ankle's and plantar flexion, makes sense and sure, minus the very small ROM an ankle has, so I don't really buy into fins. Kickboards, serve more for recovery in the legs, simply to engage them a bit more and flush out the legs after a hard ride/run. Snorkels, good to let swimmers tune into their body position, rotation, etc, without having to breath. This is more targeted to those swimmers who may have trouble with breathing both sides, or just simply want to work on the position in the water and then progress into more breathing.

In conclusion:
I don't get fins
Kickboards have their time and place
I like the use of paddles but I think 90% of triathletes get paddles too big
I understand the purpose of snorkels and they have a time and place
Bands can be a useful tool that I have used and developed with, again time and place. However, they can also create bad habits so be careful.
Too many athletes rely on pull buoys too much
2013-11-03 8:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I am going to respond to your questions 'backwards' so it makes more sense and hopefully I am actually addressing the question. 

Backstroke has changed in that you can now do a front flip turn as well as dolphin kick off of the wall (or at the start).  Breaststroke has probably changed the most dramatically over years past in that your head can now go below the water line (I was disqualified from more races than I can recall for that), you can now dolphin kick off the wall or start (again, I was disqualified more times than I care to remember) and the recovery is now above water, certainly at the most elite levels.  Freestyle and butterfly are pretty much unchanged although you can dolphin kick off the wall unlike in the past.

As to actual stroke mechanics, there have ALWAYS been a number of schools of thought.  For example, in freestyle, should your pull be straight back or follow a slight 'S' shape?  Should your fingers be tight together or slightly apart?  I counter that for the triathlete, trying to improve from 1:45/100 yards to 1:30/100 yards, it does not matter.  For the swimmer, trying to qualify for his/her first National Championship, those things may translate into hundredths of a second - incredibly important at the most elite level.  For the average triathlete, certainly one for whom swimming was not their first language, the most important thing in swimming is developing a smooth, efficient stroke.  THAT comes from a good body roll, which is partly facilitated by proper kick timing.  Unfortunately, you can't develop that on a kickboard.  My other BIG argument against kickboards is that for the vast majority of triathletes, there is virtually NO forward propulsion from the kick.  Assuming you (not YOU personally, buy YOU metaphorically) have half way decent stroke mechanics and have fairly good swim fitness, you can prove this to yourself.  Next time you are in the pool, time a 100 using a pull buoy, then time a 100 swimming normally.  Compare the times.  You will likely see little or no difference.  In fact, I have actually seen occasions when the time with the pull buoy if actually faster than the time with a kick.

Gonna try not to have this turn into 'Swimming by Scott 101' but to fully answer your question on body roll I have to get a bit technical.  To have the most efficient freestyle stroke there must be some body roll.  Let me illustrate my point.  Lay on the floor, face down, right arm at your side with your hand by your hip.  Now, keeping your shoulders flat, with a high elbow, trace a straight line along the side of your body with your finger in contact with the floor, all the way from your hip to nearly a full arms length in front of your head.  It is nearly impossible to do that unless you are EXTREMELY flexible.  What tends to happen is your arm/hand swing out into an arc instead of tracing a straight line - your hand is moving sideways at entry, not straight forward into the proper position.  Now, do it again, but this time, raise your right shoulder slightly off the floor (your body roll).  Now it is quite easy to trace the straight line along your side.  In the water, no body roll translates into your hand crossing over your centerline at entry because of the 'arc.'  When that happens, your hand is in the wrong entry position and your catch is in the wrong position.  Instead of your first movement being BACK, thus propelling yourself forward, your fist movement is down or to the side - wasted movement, wasted energy.

The second area where body roll is beneficial is also at entry.  I call this 'rolling into the stroke.'  Again using your right arm/hand.  As you recovery, your right shoulder rolls up and allows efficient recovery.  At entry, your right shoulder is now rolling down, into the stroke.  That allows you to achieve full extension in front of you.  THAT allows a longer, more efficient stroke.

So, that is a really long winded way to say that I don't agree with a flatter body position!

If anyone is interested, I have a much more detailed description of the freestyle stroke on my blog at http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique/31-freestyle-stroke.

2013-11-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by TriAya

Body roll is an interesting one. From my observations many swim coaches have moved from framing it as your body being a board that rolls from side to side (kind of like, say, a raft with a pole running down the middle of its length) to describing the movement as actually being diagonal across the torso, and yes, originating from the kick. There used to be a lot of emphasis placed on being at nearly a 90-degree angle from water level, on your side.

However, the thing is, one of the commonalities in good distance swimmers is that you DON'T see their shoulders dipping down deep into the water. There's a lot of movement and "roll", but not a straight-board, shoulders-across-from-each-other, in-line-with-hips tipping onto the side. So coaches are using different analogies to describe the ideal motion.

Without getting into a detailed discussion of stroke mechanics, I have always described body roll as the rotation of your shoulders, torso, hips and legs around the long axis of the body.  I include the hips since your hips need to roll up out of the way so your hand can begin the recovery at the end of the stroke.  I have never, nor have I ever heard of anyone advocating nearly a 90 degree angle in the roll.  Seems to me that would be a waste of energy.

I agree that coaches use different analogies and terminology to describe essentially the same thing.

2013-11-03 9:06 PM

Shrug, I like to use them for the shear fun of it. Not so much for freestyle, but for sets of fly, back, and breast.

2013-11-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by bcagle25

Snorkels, good to let swimmers tune into their body position, rotation, etc, without having to breath. This is more targeted to those swimmers who may have trouble with breathing both sides, or just simply want to work on the position in the water and then progress into more breathing.

In conclusion:

I don't get fins

Bands can be a useful tool that I have used and developed with, again time and place. However, they can also create bad habits so be careful.

Not trying to start a heated debate, rather, just wondering out loud.  If you have a swimmer that is having difficulty with bi-lateral breathing, why would you give them a snorkel and take breathing away altogether?  My experience is that most swimmers have proper rotation (body roll) to their favored breathing side and poor rotation to their weak breathing side.  Conversely, swimmers that are good bi-lateral breathers tend to have proper rotation to both sides.  More often than not, one workout where the swimmer ONLY breathes to their weak side will correct the poor breathing to the weak side as well as create symmetrical body roll.  Again, just wondering out loud.

I agree that most people get paddles that are too big.  I think from a misunderstanding of the purpose of paddles.

Back when I was swimming competitively, we only used pull bands and I agree that too many athletes rely on pull buoys too much.  I think because they have improper form and the buoys correct dropping legs.  That is the danger of pull bands - legs dropping.  WAY too many triathletes accept a sub-standard swim instead of putting in the time and effort to learn proper stroke mechanics.  The end result is they turn to the toys or attempt to beat the water into submission and end up frustrated and worn out after the swim.

2013-11-03 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by k9car363

Snorkels, good to let swimmers tune into their body position, rotation, etc, without having to breath. This is more targeted to those swimmers who may have trouble with breathing both sides, or just simply want to work on the position in the water and then progress into more breathing.

In conclusion:

I don't get fins

Not trying to start a heated debate, rather, just wondering out loud.  If you have a swimmer that is having difficulty with bi-lateral breathing, why would you give them a snorkel and take breathing away altogether?  My experience is that most swimmers have proper rotation (body roll) to their favored breathing side and poor rotation to their weak breathing side.  Conversely, swimmers that are good bi-lateral breathers tend to have proper rotation to both sides.  More often than not, one workout where the swimmer ONLY breathes to their weak side will correct the poor breathing to the weak side as well as create symmetrical body roll.  Again, just wondering out loud.

I agree that most people get paddles that are too big.  I think from a misunderstanding of the purpose of paddles.

Back when I was swimming competitively, we only used pull bands and I agree that too many athletes rely on pull buoys too much.  I think because they have improper form and the buoys correct dropping legs.  That is the danger of pull bands - legs dropping.  WAY too many triathletes accept a sub-standard swim instead of putting in the time and effort to learn proper stroke mechanics.  The end result is they turn to the toys or attempt to beat the water into submission and end up frustrated and worn out after the swim.

From my experiences in swimming lots of beginners have trouble breathing because they have poor form in the pool. If you take away the need to breathe they can focus on their form first, then work on their breathing instead of doing both at the same time. Snorkels are mostly for beginners, but every once in a while I see/hear top level athletes with snorkels.
2013-11-03 10:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriAya

Without getting into a detailed discussion of stroke mechanics, I have always described body roll as the rotation of your shoulders, torso, hips and legs around the long axis of the body.  I include the hips since your hips need to roll up out of the way so your hand can begin the recovery at the end of the stroke.  I have never, nor have I ever heard of anyone advocating nearly a 90 degree angle in the roll.  Seems to me that would be a waste of energy.

I agree that coaches use different analogies and terminology to describe essentially the same thing.

Isn't the body roll really the the end result of using the entire body to generate power through the "pull" by engaging the core, hips and related parts/muscles?

Good post and thanks for your time and expertise on this subject. 

2013-11-03 10:10 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

In conclusion:

I don't get fins

From my experiences in swimming lots of beginners have trouble breathing because they have poor form in the pool. If you take away the need to breathe they can focus on their form first, then work on their breathing instead of doing both at the same time. Snorkels are mostly for beginners, but every once in a while I see/hear top level athletes with snorkels.

Makes sense.  Too be honest, not sure I agree, however I can agree to disagree.  Thanks you for the clarification.

2013-11-03 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by crusevegas

Isn't the body roll really the the end result of using the entire body to generate power through the "pull" by engaging the core, hips and related parts/muscles?

I would say that instead of the end result, body roll is what makes it possible to use the entire body to generate power through the pull instead of just the muscles of the shoulders and arms.

Edited by k9car363 2013-11-03 10:15 PM
2013-11-03 10:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by crusevegas

I would say that instead of the end result, body roll is what makes it possible to use the entire body to generate power through the pull instead of just the muscles of the shoulders and arms.

Great phrasing - "what makes it possible" and that means throughout the stroke cycle (including latter half of pull/sometimes called push, recovery, reach, catch, etc.)

Many names - body roll, body rotation, core drive - same function.

2013-11-03 10:24 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I am going to respond to your questions 'backwards' so it makes more sense and hopefully I am actually addressing the question. 

Backstroke has changed in that you can now do a front flip turn as well as dolphin kick off of the wall (or at the start).  Breaststroke has probably changed the most dramatically over years past in that your head can now go below the water line (I was disqualified from more races than I can recall for that), you can now dolphin kick off the wall or start (again, I was disqualified more times than I care to remember) and the recovery is now above water, certainly at the most elite levels.  Freestyle and butterfly are pretty much unchanged although you can dolphin kick off the wall unlike in the past.

As to actual stroke mechanics, there have ALWAYS been a number of schools of thought.  For example, in freestyle, should your pull be straight back or follow a slight 'S' shape?  Should your fingers be tight together or slightly apart?  I counter that for the triathlete, trying to improve from 1:45/100 yards to 1:30/100 yards, it does not matter.  For the swimmer, trying to qualify for his/her first National Championship, those things may translate into hundredths of a second - incredibly important at the most elite level.  For the average triathlete, certainly one for whom swimming was not their first language, the most important thing in swimming is developing a smooth, efficient stroke.  THAT comes from a good body roll, which is partly facilitated by proper kick timing.  Unfortunately, you can't develop that on a kickboard.  My other BIG argument against kickboards is that for the vast majority of triathletes, there is virtually NO forward propulsion from the kick.  Assuming you (not YOU personally, buy YOU metaphorically) have half way decent stroke mechanics and have fairly good swim fitness, you can prove this to yourself.  Next time you are in the pool, time a 100 using a pull buoy, then time a 100 swimming normally.  Compare the times.  You will likely see little or no difference.  In fact, I have actually seen occasions when the time with the pull buoy if actually faster than the time with a kick.

Gonna try not to have this turn into 'Swimming by Scott 101' but to fully answer your question on body roll I have to get a bit technical.  To have the most efficient freestyle stroke there must be some body roll.  Let me illustrate my point.  Lay on the floor, face down, right arm at your side with your hand by your hip.  Now, keeping your shoulders flat, with a high elbow, trace a straight line along the side of your body with your finger in contact with the floor, all the way from your hip to nearly a full arms length in front of your head.  It is nearly impossible to do that unless you are EXTREMELY flexible.  What tends to happen is your arm/hand swing out into an arc instead of tracing a straight line - your hand is moving sideways at entry, not straight forward into the proper position.  Now, do it again, but this time, raise your right shoulder slightly off the floor (your body roll).  Now it is quite easy to trace the straight line along your side.  In the water, no body roll translates into your hand crossing over your centerline at entry because of the 'arc.'  When that happens, your hand is in the wrong entry position and your catch is in the wrong position.  Instead of your first movement being BACK, thus propelling yourself forward, your fist movement is down or to the side - wasted movement, wasted energy.

The second area where body roll is beneficial is also at entry.  I call this 'rolling into the stroke.'  Again using your right arm/hand.  As you recovery, your right shoulder rolls up and allows efficient recovery.  At entry, your right shoulder is now rolling down, into the stroke.  That allows you to achieve full extension in front of you.  THAT allows a longer, more efficient stroke.

So, that is a really long winded way to say that I don't agree with a flatter body position!

If anyone is interested, I have a much more detailed description of the freestyle stroke on my blog at http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique/31-freestyle-stroke.

I think that's a great idea. Maybe not in this thread ... earlier in the year before my life blew up I was doing a swim tip of the week (but they were to be in a vaguely logical progression) I really hope you DO do a Scott's 101 in parts and I'm sure it will spawn exactly the kind of healthy debate which makes this place worth being at and contributing to.

They'd also make a really good basis for articles.

2013-11-04 5:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

• .. In my opinion, body roll is the single most important aspect of the freestyle stroke, and the timing of the kick is crucial to proper body roll. Using a kickboard does NOT help to develop timing or body roll. In fact, it can help to develop bad habits as the kickboard promotes NO body roll.

• So, am I way off base? I think swim fins have NO place in a swim workout and kickboards have only marginal value at best. I am anxious to hear differing opinions.

I started swimming in '79 and did competitive swimming in the 80's/90's. Kick board and fins were much more used in the early years, we would do kicking drills, holding on to the wall, later kick with kick boards, start using fins etc. I recall how we were told to make a splash with our feet. Once I got to competitive swimming, we did increasing amount of pull sets, but still did some kick sets, although sparingly.

Not till now responding on BT and thinking about what I'm doing in the water, have I realized why you should use kick boards and fins, and I do recommend them, in particular for non-strong swimmers.

The thing is this: Body roll is only half the story. The other is body position - which I think actually comes first: A very common problem is sinking legs, and you can't roll well if your legs are being dragged through the water, most of the effort will be wasted trying to move forward.

Kick sets are more than just strengthening the kick, they are as much about getting the right body position, engaging the core and getting those legs up in the surface and make a splash - there was a reason I was told to make a splash with the feet. The kick board is great because you can focus on the lower part of the body. Beginners have a lot to pay attention to and separating upper and lower body to focus on one issue can help break things down to smaller elements.

I also recommend that fins should be the last swimming aid you should get. The problem is that using fins (and paddles) alters the cadence, and you shouldn't get the habit of swimming with a lower cadence. But fins do help build strength where you need it, and it does mean that you can easier fit a kick set into a short workout.

The main crutch I see around here is people relying on pull buoy or wetsuits to help correct those sinking legs. There are triathletes who will only register for wetsuit legal races! IMHO, people should learn to swim properly, and that means not relying on swimming aids, but also not depending on a wetsuit. Lots of triathletes neglect the kick, saying they want to save the legs for the bike, but doing kick sets IMO is key to learning to swim efficiently.

BR
    2013-11-04 8:16 AM
    in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Exton, PA
    I'm late to the party!

I was also a competitive swimmer back in the 80's with 8000 to 16000 yards a day. If you count swimming experience from the time I learned to swim I have 41 years experience.

I have taught over 10,000 people to swim back when ran a program; of those I had 1 go onto the Olympic team.

I agree with the OP almost 100% Yet every time a post comes up about swimming, everyone wants to listen to the person who starts out with "I don't have much experience but" recently someone was asking about what fins to use, and I suggested none. Of coarse I was ignored on that post and the OP listened to people that were swimming 2 minute 100's???

Fins have no use in swimming!!! They never have and I don't think they ever will. They put your legs, knees, and hips out of place which screws up your stroke when you take them off. They are way to enhance your kick propulsion when you are scuba diving or snorkeling.

Kick boards are useful, how ever they are more useful for the sprinter than the long distance swimmer. Very useful when learning to swim, which is what most people starting out need to learn to do. I never had any student even learn the arms until they could kick the width of the pool with face in the water.

I never liked pull bouys, but there is a use for them when learning the stroke.

paddles are useful for building strength and proper hand positioning.

With all this said, 85% or more of your swimming should be with nothing!

A lot of people here what to buy something that helps and find a short cut to get better, what they don't seem to under stand is the very basics of learning to float, glide, kick with straight legs, and blow bubbles under water is the shortcut to getting better.

I have people that always tell me there is this video or system out there that will help anyone get better. I tell them if you want I will give you free lessons to help you out, but I will not follow the swim advice out people who are slower than me. I have offered free lesson to several people now and not one has taken me up on it, they would rather watch the videos they bought? One of these people was even doing and open water training with me, I gave him 1 thing to concentrate on during his next lap. He did this and swam much faster and with less fatigue, yet still did not take me up on the free lessons after that?

To the OP, this is a great thread, but I don't think we will get too many people who were not competitive swimmers to agree with us.
    2013-11-04 8:50 AM
    in reply to: mike761

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by mike761 I'm late to the party! I was also a competitive swimmer back in the 80's with 8000 to 16000 yards a day. If you count swimming experience from the time I learned to swim I have 41 years experience. I have taught over 10,000 people to swim back when ran a program; of those I had 1 go onto the Olympic team. I agree with the OP almost 100% Yet every time a post comes up about swimming, everyone wants to listen to the person who starts out with "I don't have much experience but" recently someone was asking about what fins to use, and I suggested none. Of coarse I was ignored on that post and the OP listened to people that were swimming 2 minute 100's??? Fins have no use in swimming!!! They never have and I don't think they ever will. They put your legs, knees, and hips out of place which screws up your stroke when you take them off. They are way to enhance your kick propulsion when you are scuba diving or snorkeling. Kick boards are useful, how ever they are more useful for the sprinter than the long distance swimmer. Very useful when learning to swim, which is what most people starting out need to learn to do. I never had any student even learn the arms until they could kick the width of the pool with face in the water. I never liked pull bouys, but there is a use for them when learning the stroke. paddles are useful for building strength and proper hand positioning. With all this said, 85% or more of your swimming should be with nothing! A lot of people here what to buy something that helps and find a short cut to get better, what they don't seem to under stand is the very basics of learning to float, glide, kick with straight legs, and blow bubbles under water is the shortcut to getting better. I have people that always tell me there is this video or system out there that will help anyone get better. I tell them if you want I will give you free lessons to help you out, but I will not follow the swim advice out people who are slower than me. I have offered free lesson to several people now and not one has taken me up on it, they would rather watch the videos they bought? One of these people was even doing and open water training with me, I gave him 1 thing to concentrate on during his next lap. He did this and swam much faster and with less fatigue, yet still did not take me up on the free lessons after that? To the OP, this is a great thread, but I don't think we will get too many people who were not competitive swimmers to agree with us.

If you ever come to IL I'll take a free lesson any day .

And just in case you think no one is listening, personally I am more than happy to never use the fins again!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fins and Kickboards Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To Fin or not to Fin, that is the question

Started by tuwood
    Views: 1901 Posts: 22

2012-03-10 7:51 PM sand101

Swimming Fins

Started by DRM
    Views: 733 Posts: 5

2005-12-28 6:12 AM karris

Which swim fin to buy?

Started by jcabanti
    Views: 630 Posts: 3

2004-09-06 11:57 PM skavoovie

Swim fins for training?

Started by umbach
    Views: 1757 Posts: 12

2004-02-14 11:33 PM evrunning

fins for swim drills

Started by cameronw
    Views: 1287 Posts: 15

2004-01-19 5:33 AM cameronw
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 4, 2010
    author : Sara McLarty
    comments : 0
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : December 14, 2009
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
    date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    Video of the regular kickboard kick.

date : January 22, 2009
    comments : 1
    This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.
    date : February 11, 2008
    comments : 1
    I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?

date : November 28, 2007
    Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
    date : September 4, 2006
    Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : August 31, 2004
    Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.