Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Expensive things that aren't tri related. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-04 7:31 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

Subject: RE: Expensive things that aren't tri related.
Originally posted by moondawg14

International Adoption.  Been writing checks for the past few months, and will write a few more next year.  Mark this one in the "totally worth it" category!

I've never fully understood why adoptions - within US or internationally - are so expensive. I'm guessing there are far more children in need of adoption than parents wanting/willing to adopt them. Then you throw in the cost and it likely lowers the number of potential parents. A friend of mine has adopted two children locally and I think it was $20k per child. Don't quote me on that. A former co-worker adopted a girl from China and that was very costly. I'm sure a lot of it is attributed to legal costs but damn, it is expensive. For the new parents, I'm sure the value is priceless but it shouldn't cost them this much.

Kudos to you!

2013-11-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Dogs (and other pets)!

A major surgery or illness can easily run $3000-5000 or more. People rarely consider that when they bring a pet into the home. Often they only think about the $20 bag of ol' roy dog food from walmart and the neighborhood low cost vaccine clinic.
2013-11-04 1:44 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Our trip to Japan from Dallas, TX wasn't cheap. But well worth it. Glad we went!

2013-11-04 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

International Adoption.  Been writing checks for the past few months, and will write a few more next year.  Mark this one in the "totally worth it" category!

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers that your wait is short!

As for hubs and I, we spend way too much money at REI.  Between the two of us: running, triathlon, mountain biking, skiing--downhill and cross country, snowboarding, rock climbing, ice climbing, white water rafting, camping/mountaineering.  They pretty much created that store for dirty hippies like us   But I'm still not spending $90 on a Prana T-shirt!

2013-11-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Travel.  And I don't even get to "keep" anything, other than memories.

2013-11-04 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2 kids in Catholic school. I see it as an investment.

2013-11-04 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My last bike cost me an equivalent $ of jewelry to keep the wife happy

Was worth it, but don't know when I'm going to be able to afford another one at this rate...

Mark

2013-11-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by jkintn

I've never fully understood why adoptions - within US or internationally - are so expensive. I'm guessing there are far more children in need of adoption than parents wanting/willing to adopt them. Then you throw in the cost and it likely lowers the number of potential parents. A friend of mine has adopted two children locally and I think it was $20k per child. Don't quote me on that. A former co-worker adopted a girl from China and that was very costly. I'm sure a lot of it is attributed to legal costs but damn, it is expensive. For the new parents, I'm sure the value is priceless but it shouldn't cost them this much. Kudos to you!

I started another thread rather than hijack this one! 

2013-11-05 8:32 AM

Veteran
Minnesota
Youth Hockey

Gear/Equipment -- $700
Assocaition Season --$850
AAA Hockey --$650
Travel/hotel -$1000

But to see that kid fly down the ice and the smile on his face is definitely worth it
2013-11-05 9:35 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

I used to race motocross.

I am probably one of the few people who do tri's because they are cheaper and take less of my time.
2013-11-05 9:50 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

International Adoptions can really be expensive and time costly the Government requires you spent atleast 2 years with a child outside before you can petition them here in the US. The immigration process in adopting is complicated and expensive in Time and Money.

reference:
http://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption/other-ad...

I think our Government prefers adoption within the country and give US citizens a hard time adopting overseas.

Me and my wife even with my Tri Hobby we still have so much to give. Me and my Wife's workplace (Hospitals) gives us $ benefits if we adopt children We are looking into adoption locally and we discuss to start with fostering.

2013-11-05 9:50 PM
in reply to: mx119

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
horses. those damn things eat, breath, and crap money.

i'll also echo the tires comment. sure is cool that so many new cars have 20in rims, what's not so cool is realizing how much those stupid tires cost to replace.
2013-11-05 11:15 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by strykergt

International Adoptions can really be expensive and time costly the Government requires you spent atleast 2 years with a child outside before you can petition them here in the US. The immigration process in adopting is complicated and expensive in Time and Money. reference: http://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption/other-ad... I think our Government prefers adoption within the country and give US citizens a hard time adopting overseas. Me and my wife even with my Tri Hobby we still have so much to give. Me and my Wife's workplace (Hospitals) gives us $ benefits if we adopt children We are looking into adoption locally and we discuss to start with fostering.

You do not need to spend any time outside the US with a child in order to adopt internationally.  Some countries will allow a caretaker from the orphanage to accompany the child to the US before any contact with the adoptive parents.  The process varies from country-to-country.   The US recognizes adoptions done in other Hauge countries as official adoptions, you only need to have the proper documents for immigration.    The USCIS documents ( the I-800) cost about $700.  The immigration part is actually the easiest part, although you DO need to collect quite a few documents.

FYI, my BIL works for USCIS.  It is NOT taxpayer funded. It is funded by users, most of which are, at least initially, citizens of other countries.

2013-11-06 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Buying a truck. Needing a diesel pickup for our trailer. Holy crap those things are expensive!
2013-11-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Sailing, scuba diving, a  niece, and the current girlfriend.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2013-11-06 11:49 AM
2013-11-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by bradword Buying a truck. Needing a diesel pickup for our trailer. Holy crap those things are expensive!

Usually, after 50,000 miles(or so,depending on the cost of fuel and how much the diesel engine "upcharge" is), the TCO of the diesel is lower.

2013-11-06 6:31 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was going to say I probably spent more on golf than Tri, and not nearly as good at golf...  Until I REALLY started to look at it.  3 bikes, parts, race fees including Alcatraz and 3 branded IM races...  Both are expensive.

What I "hate", but is a part of life, is the unforeseen expenses.  I dropped 3k on a new water line from the street to my house to fix a broken pipe.  I had water BEFORE the leak fix, and had water AFTER the fix.  So nothing really changed except no leak and three thousand dollars less in my wallet.  I just think about what fun I COULD have had with that cash.  New bike or vacation with the wife.  Shoot even new carpet or a new couch is SOMETHING....

ETA:  The other thing that recently happened...  Bladder stone surgery on one of my dogs AND some eye issues.  Couple thousand dollars lighter and still got the same old dog.  But what are you going to do?  We love our pets and have to take care of them.

Edited by Kido 2013-11-06 6:33 PM
2013-11-06 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Women
2013-11-06 6:37 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Kido

I was going to say I probably spent more on golf than Tri, and not nearly as good at golf...  Until I REALLY started to look at it.  3 bikes, parts, race fees including Alcatraz and 3 branded IM races...  Both are expensive.

What I "hate", but is a part of life, is the unforeseen expenses.  I dropped 3k on a new water line from the street to my house to fix a broken pipe.  I had water BEFORE the leak fix, and had water AFTER the fix.  So nothing really changed except no leak and three thousand dollars less in my wallet.  I just think about what fun I COULD have had with that cash.  New bike or vacation with the wife.  Shoot even new carpet or a new couch is SOMETHING....

ETA:  The other thing that recently happened...  Bladder stone surgery on one of my dogs AND some eye issues.  Couple thousand dollars lighter and still got the same old dog.  But what are you going to do?  We love our pets and have to take care of them.

THREE GRAND for a water line?   Was it solid gold?

2013-11-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: dixrp

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Playstation/Xbox games and systems.  Games are 60 bucks a pop and the new systems?  500 bucks?  Seriously?  Obviously they are not marketing to kids anymore but the middle aged person with some disposable income.

2013-11-06 6:44 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Don't get me started.  I KNOW I got ripped off by at least a 50% increase.  Shopped around after, and got quotes of around 2k for a connection to meter, 50' of line, trenching, manafold and valves.  Crazy thing is, they WERE going to charge 5k and even started.  I fired them part way through and said it was too much and they reduced it to 3k just to stay on the job.  They know if people have leaks or flooding water, they are at their mercy.

BTW, if you move to Vegas, don't ever use Yes Plumbing.  I like to get that in whenever I can.  I dislike that company for doing that to me.  BUT, I should have been a better shopper.  Lesson learned.

They were the same company that I asked if they could just change the hose bib in my back yard while they were at it and wanted to charge $120.  I almost punched him in the nose.  It was a $10 part that I simply changed myself...

Edited by Kido 2013-11-06 6:46 PM

2013-11-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Beijing

Don't get me started.  I KNOW I got ripped off by at least a 50% increase.  Shopped around after, and got quotes of around 2k for a connection to meter, 50' of line, trenching, manafold and valves.  Crazy thing is, they WERE going to charge 5k and even started.  I fired them part way through and said it was too much and they reduced it to 3k just to stay on the job.  They know if people have leaks or flooding water, they are at their mercy.

BTW, if you move to Vegas, don't ever use Yes Plumbing.  I like to get that in whenever I can.  I dislike that company for doing that to me.  BUT, I should have been a better shopper.  Lesson learned.

They were the same company that I asked if they could just change the hose bib in my back yard while they were at it and wanted to charge $120.  I almost punched him in the nose.  It was a $10 part that I simply changed myself...

Duly noted. 

I believe I paid a $1.30 a foot to have a 1" line installed when I built my house.  That was just to run the line from the meter to the house, no connections.

Even at $2k I'd have rented a trencher for the weekend and done it myself.    They'd have to be down around $750 before I'd consider hiring it out!

2013-11-07 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Ankeny
I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet...

DAYCARE!

I love my little girl, but I'll be so glad when she starts Kindergarten next fall. It'll be like getting a $5k a year pay raise.
2013-11-07 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Trucks... or vehicles in general. TWO transmissions in my truck 14 months apart, just after the year warranty expired and the company went out of business. $2,200 a pop, and now it has an oil leak and needs new tires.
Next up, wakeboarding. $900 for a board and bindings, $50,000 for a boat, wetsuits, ropes and all the other misc accessories I've collected up.
I have to add motorcycle track days/racing to the list. I didn't get into racing, but just trackdays were breaking me. Over $400 for the trackday, then rent a hotel for the weekend, drive 4 hours in the truck with the bike. And oh GOD don't crash. If I go back to track riding or racing it will be with a bike I can afford to shovel into the dumpster at the end of the day.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Expensive things that aren't tri related. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's the single most expensive tri thing you've bought Pages: 1 2

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3454 Posts: 38

2012-10-18 2:34 PM jhouse4

This tri thing can get expensive - a week of sticker shock :)

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1526 Posts: 15

2010-12-31 8:31 AM thecatch83

noobie to tri-bikesL pedals, cleats, and shoes can become expensive

Started by scrappy62
Views: 1371 Posts: 20

2008-04-18 4:33 PM bvfrompc

This getting in shape thing is expensive.

Started by CVSURF
Views: 876 Posts: 10

2005-09-06 7:59 PM RedCorvette

Things just aren't happening this week

Started by So Fresh So Clean1
Views: 610 Posts: 2

2005-06-02 10:00 PM chris hughes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.