General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help With Protein Whey Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-04 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Help With Protein Whey
I just bought a cheap Protein Whey from Walmart.com. It had over 300 good reviews leading to an almost perfect 5 stars. I was reading up on whey and I think it could help me out. I usually run about 5-8 miles 3-5 times a week. I am also trying to gain strength in my upper body because it is always sore. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I eat plenty of meat and stuff with protein in it as well. But from what I am reading everywhere now, it seems that I might not be getting enough protein.

I think that drinking half a scoop of this stuff after a hard workout could do me some good. I am always tired through my runs. This might be because of overtraining, but I honestly think it is my diet not getting enough of the right stuff. Weather is always cloudy too so that could limit me. Motivation is a big factor as well. I just wanted to know if it is safe to use this stuff.

What kind of digestion issues could I experience? I already have a weak intensine system. I've read that one guy could not have a bowel movement in 4 days after taking this stuff. I don't want that to happen. I should be OK if I just take a little bit after a hard workout right?

Thank you.

2013-11-05 12:00 AM
in reply to: jschristian44

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Help With Protein Whey

Originally posted by jschristian44 I just bought a cheap Protein Whey from Walmart.com. It had over 300 good reviews leading to an almost perfect 5 stars. I was reading up on whey and I think it could help me out. I usually run about 5-8 miles 3-5 times a week. I am also trying to gain strength in my upper body because it is always sore. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I eat plenty of meat and stuff with protein in it as well. But from what I am reading everywhere now, it seems that I might not be getting enough protein. I think that drinking half a scoop of this stuff after a hard workout could do me some good. I am always tired through my runs. This might be because of overtraining, but I honestly think it is my diet not getting enough of the right stuff. Weather is always cloudy too so that could limit me. Motivation is a big factor as well. I just wanted to know if it is safe to use this stuff. What kind of digestion issues could I experience? I already have a weak intensine system. I've read that one guy could not have a bowel movement in 4 days after taking this stuff. I don't want that to happen. I should be OK if I just take a little bit after a hard workout right? Thank you.

No amount of eating and running is going to make you stronger in your upper body.  (or your lower body, for that matter)

If you want to get stronger, lift heavy things.  

It really is that simple.

"Always tired" and "Always sore" does sound like overtraining.  make sure you're getting at least one good rest day per week, and if you've been keeping the same schedule (or an increasing schedule) for more than a month, consider backing off 15% for a week or so.   Recovery is important.

If you're really eating plenty of fruits, vegetables and meat, then there's no reason to be  buying supplements. 

2013-11-06 8:13 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
True that a healthy diet = a healthy person who does not need supplements …but there are reason still to take in protein immediately after an endurance workout. Numerous studies have shown that taking in protein and simple carbohydrates within 20 minutes after a workout takes advantage of a 'metabolic window of opportunity'.

After exercising your body is more receptive to digesting each and placing it to immediately applying the protein to repairing the muscles stressed. The simple sugars go directly to replenishing your energy stores.

Remember that exercise is the act of breaking down your muscles and that you get stronger as you heal in recovery. The protein helps you recovery bester, faster, stronger.

For reference here is one link to a study: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/research-encourages-combining-proteins... … Google "protein after workout" and you will find many other references as well.

Hope this helps.
2013-11-07 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I have a fairly weak stomach.  I've been taking whey protein for years.

I've never had a problem with bowel movements or any tummy upset from whey.  Unless you think you may be lactose intolerant I would not worry.

2013-11-12 11:56 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Modesto, California
Just because a protien is cheap and has good ratings at Walmart doesn't mean its effective. Nutrition is the easiest way to improve your performance, not sure what you expected with cheap protien? If your not going to spend money on a quality whey protien such as Isoflex, Hydrowhey,Iso-100, then get some decent food in such as egg whites,chicken breast,Turkey breast. Having a good nutritional foundation can make a huge difference in your overall performance.
2013-12-07 11:02 PM

Given the option, a healthy well balanced diet of whole foods, and lean protein is best but I view protein supps as a convenient thing for when I just don't feel like prepping food beforehand. It's not a replacement for what our diets are missing, but a supplement that can be used when you're just looking for the ease of quick protein intake before your lifting session for that day. I prefer Gaspari's products...Myofusion, for the price, taste, mixability and quality...to me, can't be beat. There are other decent products out there, but that's one I value.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help With Protein Whey Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Your Whey Protein Recipe

Started by Porfirio
Views: 3895 Posts: 19

2012-02-01 1:59 PM Sharyn5

Whey vs Hemp Protein Experience

Started by Gladiador
Views: 1074 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 10:41 AM Gladiador

Whey vs Hemp Protein Experience

Started by Gladiador
Views: 528 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 10:41 AM Gladiador

view on protein powders? Pages: 1 2

Started by mr.rogersisinthehood
Views: 8330 Posts: 40

2011-10-04 12:21 PM lisac957

Protein shakes - whey vs. soy

Started by Triguy67
Views: 3811 Posts: 7

2009-06-25 3:54 PM Paulettejo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : April 29, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Should triathletes consume more grams of protein than the usual formula, since they are exercising more?
date : January 28, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on the number of meals to eat, carbo loading, good carbs and breakfast, peanut butter and whey protein.

date : December 22, 2008
comments : 2
Athletes are using all varieties of protein products, from bars, drinks and powder, and not seeing significant results, consequently recovery time and risk for injury increases.
date : December 4, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.

date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : February 21, 2008
Discussions on Ironman training and weightloss, multivitamins, whey protein, fish oil, nightime workouts and bedtime eating, long swim recovery nutrition, and the 3 top nutrition mistakes.

date : September 12, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
This article on protein supplements answers your questions as to the relevance of protein shakes, refueling after workouts and designer protein versus natural sources.