General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whey Protein First Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-04 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Whey Protein First Time
I just bought a cheap Protein Whey from Walmart.com. It had over 300 good reviews leading to an almost perfect 5 stars. I was reading up on whey and I think it could help me out. I usually run about 5-8 miles 3-5 times a week. I am also trying to gain strength in my upper body because it is always sore. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I eat plenty of meat and stuff with protein in it as well. But from what I am reading everywhere now, it seems that I might not be getting enough protein.

I think that drinking half a scoop of this stuff after a hard workout could do me some good. I am always tired through my runs. This might be because of overtraining, but I honestly think it is my diet not getting enough of the right stuff. Weather is always cloudy too so that could limit me. Motivation is a big factor as well. I just wanted to know if it is safe to use this stuff.

What kind of digestion issues could I experience? I already have a weak intensine system. I've read that one guy could not have a bowel movement in 4 days after taking this stuff. I don't want that to happen. I should be OK if I just take a little bit after a hard workout right?

Thank you.

2013-11-05 9:18 AM
in reply to: jschristian44

User image

Subject: RE: Whey Protein First Time
I use the whey protein mix from Sam's (cheap one) for quite some time, and never had any intestinal issues. I backed off too much protein because it seem to be hampering my weight loss. BUT I still use this on race day. My breakfast routine for race day, is a half of bagel and a protein shake. And a bottle of water. It seems to work. I am never hungry on course, bc I also supplement with gu's and if I get really hungry a protein power bar.

I would say if you not going for 4 days, you may want to look at other issues also. Especially hydration.

It seems to me the more you pay the "cleaner" the protein is. I recently have been trying a protein shake powder called Kleen. Recommended by a Doctor that cycles. Other than it not having a flavor it seems good.

J
2013-11-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: jschristian44

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jschristian44

I just bought a cheap Protein Whey from Walmart.com. It had over 300 good reviews leading to an almost perfect 5 stars. I was reading up on whey and I think it could help me out. I usually run about 5-8 miles 3-5 times a week. I am also trying to gain strength in my upper body because it is always sore. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I eat plenty of meat and stuff with protein in it as well. But from what I am reading everywhere now, it seems that I might not be getting enough protein.

I think that drinking half a scoop of this stuff after a hard workout could do me some good. I am always tired through my runs. This might be because of overtraining, but I honestly think it is my diet not getting enough of the right stuff. Weather is always cloudy too so that could limit me. Motivation is a big factor as well. I just wanted to know if it is safe to use this stuff.

What kind of digestion issues could I experience? I already have a weak intensine system. I've read that one guy could not have a bowel movement in 4 days after taking this stuff. I don't want that to happen. I should be OK if I just take a little bit after a hard workout right?

Thank you.

I've been using the Body Fortress stuff for two years or more, hitting over 125g of overall protein per day. I have friends who can't handle whey at all (likely the dairy component), but I've never had any GI problems I could trace to protein. Energy chews, on the other hand . . .

There is a "window" within 30 to 45 minutes post-workout where your muscles have an increased protein uptake. I'm pretty diligent about hitting that window as well - for example, I took a protein shake (1 scoop cookies and cream whey, 1c skim milk, and about 1.5c water) in a shaker bottle this morning, and drank it after my master's swim on the way to work. It's also great in oatmeal (make the oatmeal a bit wet, and add a scoop after it's cooked . . .strawberry works well).

If you run into GI issues, you may want to try a different protein type - there's beef protein, pea protein, soy protein, nut protein . .

In regards to brands, I like the Optimum Nutrition better, and I think it mixes better, but it isn't worth the extra money. I'll probably spend a couple of hundred dollars if bodybuilding.com does it's big Black Friday sale like it did last year, but overall I think the extra price is for marketing and flavor combinations. The nutrition information is all pretty similar. However, I don't think they count as a foodstuff so I do not believe the labels are regulated by the FDA, so make of that what you will.
2013-11-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Veteran
thanks for the help guys. i chew those energy chews. they come in watermelon and supposed to be good carb for running. i eat them while running. gu chomps i think. those can cause you not to go? i never really had any problem going. in fact, i go too much. i heard thats normal if you are always exercising though. doesnt bother me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whey Protein First Time Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whey Protein Powder

Started by HerDeltaFlyness
Views: 1745 Posts: 6

2012-06-11 3:00 AM alessandrojohn

Podium first time out, good or bad?

Started by baxt3r
Views: 1963 Posts: 5

2011-07-28 9:43 AM annie

Sprint or Super Sprint for first time?

Started by firstimetrigirl
Views: 7491 Posts: 18

2010-06-30 3:38 PM sundance2604

first time poster

Started by triman61
Views: 1339 Posts: 5

2010-02-14 2:08 PM LeahDD

carbs/proteins/fats percentage guidelines?

Started by madeye
Views: 1228 Posts: 6

2005-01-17 9:55 AM sanjana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : April 29, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Should triathletes consume more grams of protein than the usual formula, since they are exercising more?
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : December 22, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 2
Athletes are using all varieties of protein products, from bars, drinks and powder, and not seeing significant results, consequently recovery time and risk for injury increases.
date : December 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.

date : October 20, 2008
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : September 12, 2007
This article on protein supplements answers your questions as to the relevance of protein shakes, refueling after workouts and designer protein versus natural sources.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.