Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-06-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Adoption Thread

Congratulations.  I'm so excited for you guys!

2014-06-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I must have missed this thread the first time around. We adopted our youngest son when he was 2 and he is just about to turn 7. He was placed in our home through Child Protective Services as a kinship placement since he is actually related to my wife. We adopted him about a year after he was placed. After the adoption we have always told him that God let us pick him out and that is very special because all parents don't get to pick their children. Although we have not actually sat down and talked about "adoption" and that he has biological parents as well. I know we have to do this we are just struggling with how. I would love to hear some idea's.
2014-06-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Here's my story in a nut-shell. I think adoption is a great thing. We adopted from Kazakhstan. All of the local options were "Open" adoptions. you could meet a young pregnant woman, help her through the process and maybe, or maybe not receive the child. You can then make a contract to have visits etc.. This just didn't float my boat. We were also fortunate enough to do a lot of world traveling before we found out that we couldn't have children together the biological way so international adoption was an easy choice for us..
We did some research and landed on Kazakhstan because of their low fetal alcohol rate, and their care-giver to child ratio and the countries that were available to us through our local programs. . We had long discussions because we felt guilty that could pick and choose our children. It was hard, but we had to make some choices (There are MANY special needs children up for adoption all over the world). Would I say the kids are lucky? Yes I would, but I would also add that my wife and I are lucky too. We were able to afford it, and we brought two wonderful kids into our home that has changed our lives forever.
We have also been very open about it to them (Now 9 and 9.5). They both know that there is a "special lady" that lives in Kazakhstan that loves them very much, but for what-ever reason could not keep them. There was never a mention of the fathers during our adoption and the kids haven't asked about it yet.

Here is Tohtar (Max) and Aruzhan (Elin).. Thanks for reading..

Edited by SoberTriGuy 2014-06-18 2:07 PM

(kids.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
kids.jpg (88KB - 8 downloads)
2014-06-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: SoberTriGuy

New user
Key West
Originally posted by SoberTriGuy

Here's my story in a nut-shell. I think adoption is a great thing. We adopted from Kazakhstan. All of the local options were "Open" adoptions. you could meet a young pregnant woman, help her through the process and maybe, or maybe not receive the child. You can then make a contract to have visits etc.. This just didn't float my boat. We were also fortunate enough to do a lot of world traveling before we found out that we couldn't have children together the biological way so international adoption was an easy choice for us..
We did some research and landed on Kazakhstan because of their low fetal alcohol rate, and their care-giver to child ratio and the countries that were available to us through our local programs. . We had long discussions because we felt guilty that could pick and choose our children. It was hard, but we had to make some choices (There are MANY special needs children up for adoption all over the world). Would I say the kids are lucky? Yes I would, but I would also add that my wife and I are lucky too. We were able to afford it, and we brought two wonderful kids into our home that has changed our lives forever.
We have also been very open about it to them (Now 9 and 9.5). They both know that there is a "special lady" that lives in Kazakhstan that loves them very much, but for what-ever reason could not keep them. There was never a mention of the fathers during our adoption and the kids haven't asked about it yet.

Here is Tohtar (Max) and Aruzhan (Elin).. Thanks for reading..

What a special story and such beautiful, obviously happy, children. I'd say all of you are lucky and blessed.
2014-06-20 12:54 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Why would you disclose your wife's MS? Its none of their business.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Adoption Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Dog adoption... Pages: 1 2

Started by briderdt
Views: 2644 Posts: 44

2008-12-22 9:09 AM briderdt

Cat Adoption-A Cautionary Tale

Started by NightOwl
Views: 1100 Posts: 17

2008-04-08 12:29 PM DrLeah