World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 800/2891
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 97/265
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 3:45. Got up and had a breakfast of yogurt and granola. Also had three cups of coffee and they did their job before heading down to go to the race site. Left our condo (3 miles from start) at 5:15
Event warmup:

This was my first and I just took the whole experience all in. Got in the water a little before the pro's start to stretch out a little. Water felt great and was much calmer than the 2 days prior.
Swim
  • 59m 57s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

What an experience! I seeded myself a little cautiously in the 1:10 corral. The first 400-500 yards were madness. I knew right away I made a mistake and should have seeded myself in the hour corral. Lots of climbing and pushing to get where I wanted to be. Took the first turn buoy wide to avoid any real contact there. Finished first loop in 28 min. Second loop was a lot less entertaining. No crowds. I did manage to make someone mad at the turn buoy. I accidentally hit him trying to cut the turn as tight as I could. According to him "I had the whole damn ocean". Apparently he's the only one able to cut the turn tight? Did a lot of passing on the swim and didn't really get much opportunity to draft at all.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself in the right corral. It was WTC self seeded start which was basically still a mass start so not too sure how much a difference it would have made.
Transition 1
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

Grabbed my T1 bag from a volunteer and was left standing there not really knowing where to go. Asked another volunteer which way to go, the guy who handed me my bag went on to someone else. 2nd volunteer pointed me in the direction of the bag I already had when the transition area was the other way. Funny start to my day. Once I got into the changing tent I opened my bag, tossed my wetsuit and goggles in, put my helmet and shoes on, and was out the door. Didn't change. On my way to my bike took a pit stop to use the port a potty. Got to my bike and the volunteers didn't know I was coming so I had to unrack my bike. No biggie. They were yelling numbers before I went to the bathroom and I think they unracked then re-racked my bike because of my pit stop. I was out of the water with some of the faster AG'ers and they deserved more of the attention.

Nothing. I was all smiles. Very happy with my swim and just trying to take in the day.
Bike
  • 5h 32m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I attempted to ride as clean as possible despite the blatant drafting packs. It was tough to ride my own race coming out of the water ahead of/with a lot of FOP racers. Adrenaline got the best of me a couple times and I had to keep reminding myself to back off. I use my Garmin 910 for gps but also have a cateye speedo just to see avg speed and current speed. I forgot to take my cateye off when I racked it the day before, and it rained. It didn't work at all, so I had to keep looking at my watch on my wrist. I don't use HR and will be purchasing a power meter before my next, but this was all done by feel. I consumed 1860 cal Infinit, as was the plan. Finished it with 10 miles left in the ride, right on schedule. Got off the bike feeling great!

Nothing. This ride was as good as I could have imagined
Transition 2
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

WTC transitions are awesome. I didn't take my shoes off prior to getting to dismount. Just unclipped and handed my bike to a volunteer. Then took off my shoes and ran into the change tent with my T2 bag. Once in the tent I dumped everything out on the floor and started putting my socks and shoes on. Volunteer came over and packed my bag back up for me, wished me luck, and I was on my way. I missed one spot with trislide under my arm and it was hurting bad. I was sooooooo thankful to see a table with Vaseline on it. Stepped out of the tent and was met with sunscreen volunteers. Off to the run.

Overall went well. Can't really think of what I'd change.
Run
  • 4h 52m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off way too ambitious. Plan was to start in the 8:30-9 min/mile pace. Actually started off at 7:30/mile. I attempted to slow down but for some reason couldn't stop myself. First 5 miles were all under 8 min/mile. First half of the run was done in around 1:45. Legs still felt okay but around mile 12 I started cramping bad. My nutrition plan I had trained for was GU every 30-45 minutes. Could only get the first 2 GU's in then had to switch to coke. Anything not liquid would not go down. Threw up at mile 15......and welcome to BONKVILLE!!!! I've never had this feeling before. Every time I tried to run I'd throw up. Had to walk mile 15-19, which was so discouraging. While walking I was throwing down cups of water with handfuls of pretzels. Stomach started to settle a bit at the turn around in the park, and I was able to start a very weak 30 sec run/walk. All I could get was 30 seconds before feeling sick. This sucked because while running I was under 9 min/mile and my legs felt okay all things considered. Once I realized a sub 11 finish wasn't realistic I did a lot more walking. I did the math and found I could walk a sub 12 finish. Mile 25 I sucked it up and finished the race with a jog. The finishers chute was awesome. Hadn't done a race with anything like that before.

Actually follow my plan. I ran this marathon in the dumbest possible way and paid the price.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my family right away which was nice. I had a solid 3 hours on the second half of the marathon to think about how stupid I had been. Over the course of the second half I kind of lost perspective on the fact that I was finishing an Ironman and was more focused on what I thought was ruining my time. They were right there to remind me what I had just done. Stumbled over to pizza and attempted to eat, stomach still wasn't having it. Walked over with my dad to get my bike and gear bags.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself. I didn't follow my plan. Also probably could have used salt sticks on the run. Those pretzels were amazing and at the time felt like they saved my life!

Event comments:

I wanted to do my first full at a WTC race for the atmosphere. IMFL lived up to the experience. Right after I finished I swore I was done with the distance. After 2 days of reflection I have to get at least another shot at it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:57 | 4156 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/265
Overall: 122/2891
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Cat 1 Sleeveless
Course: 2 loop awesome swim in the Gulf
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:32:52 | 112 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/265
Overall: 565/2891
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One giant boring loop. I'll be okay with never seeing a pine tree again. I train at the beach in NE Florida and was prepared for flat and breezy. I was expecting a little more scenic. At mile 60 there were a couple small "hills" that I wasn't expecting. Nothing big but it wasn't exactly flat. Then there was that bridge at mile 100 that seemed a lot larger than at mile 12. The road around special needs wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:52:07 | 26.2 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 97/265
Overall: 805/2891
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 lap run through neighborhoods in PCB. Flat with good crowds the first/last 4 miles each lap. Middle mileage to the park and back get a little lonely
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-04 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Ironman Florida

2013-11-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4892352

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Congrats on a great race and an awesome swim.
2013-11-07 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome race man. Just from seeing your posts in the forum it was obvious you were putting in the work and really enjoying the ride. Congrats on a great race and best of luck your next!
2013-11-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Thanks guys. I really do enjoy the "endurance lifestyle". I'm going to do a couple 70.3's next year but will be doing another 140.6 in 2015 to get revenge on that marathon.
2013-11-07 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Great job and a really strong first time effort! Glad to see you will be back, because when you figure out that marathon you are going to smoke that race. great swim, bike and superfast transitions. and you are a runner. this is your sport.
2013-11-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: gergzos

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congratulations IRONMAN!! 

That is a pretty quick swing from never again to I can't wait to get revenge!  Usually takes a week or two! 

Too bad about the GI issues, you had a great race otherwise!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 5228 Posts: 48

2006-05-06 5:51 PM gullahcracker

Ironman Florida

Started by murray723
Views: 4067 Posts: 13

2005-11-08 7:57 PM hdhtri

Ironman Florida

Started by Alpine87
Views: 2477 Posts: 25

2005-11-12 8:23 AM Cal

Ironman Florida

Started by kcavagnolo
Views: 2727 Posts: 19

2005-11-09 9:44 AM COgirl

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Drinking Buddy
Views: 4396 Posts: 29

2004-11-18 5:34 PM pzdipr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!