Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 5

2014-03-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
Training going well. I have been able to achieve about 95% of my training plan thus far and haven't gotten sick so that is a success. I just did a Half Marathon on Saturday as a tune-up for my 70.3 in May and as part of my overall plan. My PR on that course (rolling hills and two monster hills) is 1:31 but that is back when I was a pure runner. I was able to pull off a 1:34! I was really excited about this because I would have been happy with a 1:40.

I have been following the MAF heart rate training method that Phil Maffetone teaches and I am a believer. I have been able to saty uninjured and healthy and still improve my overall aerobic capacity accross all 3 disciplines. So, knock on wood, so far so good. How about everybody else?

2014-03-25 10:42 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

Training going well. I have been able to achieve about 95% of my training plan thus far and haven't gotten sick so that is a success. I just did a Half Marathon on Saturday as a tune-up for my 70.3 in May and as part of my overall plan. My PR on that course (rolling hills and two monster hills) is 1:31 but that is back when I was a pure runner. I was able to pull off a 1:34! I was really excited about this because I would have been happy with a 1:40.

I have been following the MAF heart rate training method that Phil Maffetone teaches and I am a believer. I have been able to saty uninjured and healthy and still improve my overall aerobic capacity accross all 3 disciplines. So, knock on wood, so far so good. How about everybody else?

Nice half! You have got to be stoked with that time. Sounds like a great training so far. What 70.3 are you doing?
I am going to look up the MAF heart rate training method, HR training is not something I have a good grasp on. I would like to give it a try. I have been mixing up my runs, some being straight run and other the Galloway Method to reduce potential injury. So far so good, that is if you don't count my ongoing Achilles tendinitis and arthritis. A constant pain I have been dealing with for years... Otherwise my trainings have been pretty decent. I have manage to do about 95% of my plan for 9 out of the last 10 weeks. So, I am happy. I noticed there are only a few people using the BT training log. I have to admit, that I only upload on occasion and don't always upload my swims. It has been nice following Jill on Strava though. Keep up the hard work!
2014-03-25 11:30 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Nice half! You have got to be stoked with that time. Sounds like a great training so far. What 70.3 are you doing?
I am going to look up the MAF heart rate training method, HR training is not something I have a good grasp on. I would like to give it a try. I have been mixing up my runs, some being straight run and other the Galloway Method to reduce potential injury. So far so good, that is if you don't count my ongoing Achilles tendinitis and arthritis. A constant pain I have been dealing with for years... Otherwise my trainings have been pretty decent. I have manage to do about 95% of my plan for 9 out of the last 10 weeks. So, I am happy. I noticed there are only a few people using the BT training log. I have to admit, that I only upload on occasion and don't always upload my swims. It has been nice following Jill on Strava though. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks. I'm doing the Ironman St. George 70.3. I did it last year and it's a killer. However, St. George puts on awesome races. The community there is totally invested in the race. Sounds like training is going well for you, keep it up! To find details about the training method I'm following just Google Phil Maffetone and go to his website. About 90% of the details are in there. Also listen to the Endurance Planet and Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcasts. They talk about this method ad nauseaum there.
2014-03-26 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Gold member

I second the vote for Maffetone training.  I started using it when doing marathons and it really made a difference on my aerobic fitness and got me a great PR on my last race.  I'm using a somewhat modified version where I kept all of my runs and bikes @ <Zone 2.0 for December through February and now am raising that to z2.5 in March.  I've again seen great improvement on my aerobic fitness going from runs that would have an average pace of 9:10 to last Monday's which was at z2.3 with an average pace of 8:17.  Was able to carry on a conversation with my training partner the whole run.

So training's going well for me.  I've been dealing with a nagging glue/upper hammie issue that is quite frankly making me cranky.  I've struggled to pin down the cause and the Dr's can't really put their finger on what it really is.  Got some new stretches/strengthening exercises from my PT that seem to be helping, so fingers are crossed.  I don't start my actual training plan until April 6, so am doing my aerobic build right now still with the last few weeks of training coming in at about 11.5 hours.  I'm working on form in the swim, not really aerobic endurance, following the theory that the better form will drive a more efficient stroke and improve my times with no added effort.  Good theory, but dang, swimming is (for me) hard and by far the most complicated of the S/B/R.  Just got my Tribike refit dropping the handlebar by another 10mm, so adapting to that, and also added some arch support to the bike shoes to see if that would help the nagging hip issue (fitter speculates that since I have high arches, I may be collapsing it on my left side during the downstroke which would cause an uneven rotation of the hip and issues there). 

So, lot's going on in training, but loving it.

2014-03-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Gold member

Swimming:  Endurance workouts vs. drills. 

In all my past training that I've done on my own, I've only done endurance sets, mostly a series of 100's or a straight swim, with most sets being in the 2000-3000 yard range.  This worked out well for me and I was really pleased with the results in my HIM where I posted a 35:10 for the swim which was a pace of 1:40/100.  I felt I could do better but didn't really know how to go about the 'better' part.  I hired a coach for a few sessions and got some advice, but it really didn't get me a feeling of improvement, and the times didn't change all that much.

For this training cycle I am really fortunate to have a training partner who is an excellent swimmer who readily can identify areas of improvement and provide drills that help me fix my stroke issues.  I can really feel the difference doing the drills - how my pull is impacted, where my rotational issues lie, the imbalance that comes from single-side breathing, etc. (needless to say, I've got many different areas to work on).  I'm adopting the approach that this will make me more efficient, gaining speed without extra effort, and will let me leave the water feeling more energetic when I go to the bike.  Right now it is a bit of a struggle mentally as I've lost some of my endurance in the water - noticeably so - such that I'm breathing heavy after doing a couple of not-so-hard 250's on 4:30, but I'm going to stay the course as I really do believe this will have a long term payoff.

So to get a little discussion started, what approaches have you taken in the Swim training area, what has helped you see the most gains, and what - if anything - are you doing different this cycle?

2014-03-29 9:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Thanks. I'm doing the Ironman St. George 70.3. I did it last year and it's a killer. However, St. George puts on awesome races. The community there is totally invested in the race. Sounds like training is going well for you, keep it up! To find details about the training method I'm following just Google Phil Maffetone and go to his website. About 90% of the details are in there. Also listen to the Endurance Planet and Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcasts. They talk about this method ad nauseaum there.

Thanks for the info. I would love to do St George some day. It is so beautiful there.

2014-03-29 9:33 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Swimming:  Endurance workouts vs. drills. 

In all my past training that I've done on my own, I've only done endurance sets, mostly a series of 100's or a straight swim, with most sets being in the 2000-3000 yard range.  This worked out well for me and I was really pleased with the results in my HIM where I posted a 35:10 for the swim which was a pace of 1:40/100.  I felt I could do better but didn't really know how to go about the 'better' part.  I hired a coach for a few sessions and got some advice, but it really didn't get me a feeling of improvement, and the times didn't change all that much.

For this training cycle I am really fortunate to have a training partner who is an excellent swimmer who readily can identify areas of improvement and provide drills that help me fix my stroke issues.  I can really feel the difference doing the drills - how my pull is impacted, where my rotational issues lie, the imbalance that comes from single-side breathing, etc. (needless to say, I've got many different areas to work on).  I'm adopting the approach that this will make me more efficient, gaining speed without extra effort, and will let me leave the water feeling more energetic when I go to the bike.  Right now it is a bit of a struggle mentally as I've lost some of my endurance in the water - noticeably so - such that I'm breathing heavy after doing a couple of not-so-hard 250's on 4:30, but I'm going to stay the course as I really do believe this will have a long term payoff.

So to get a little discussion started, what approaches have you taken in the Swim training area, what has helped you see the most gains, and what - if anything - are you doing different this cycle?

I have challenges in the swim because I breath on one side only. I have incorporated more bilateral breathing, but it is tough. I usually do some speed work sets of 50's or 100's or just a straight swim. I started using paddles hoping it would help my speed. It was a mistake because now I have shoulder issues which I did not have prior to paddles. It has slowed me down some. I have been pretty consistent at 2:00 minute 100's, now I am moving towards 2:08-2:10. Prior to the paddles, I was having success working on specific form; my reach, pull, elbow, relaxed breathing, etc. It seems that elongating my stroke with a focus on a strong pull has improved my speed the most. Right now, I am hoping my shoulder feels better soon.
New Thread
Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 36669 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 21242 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 30650 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 8155 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 16967 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 14
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.