General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-08-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: khaddon

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
St George sounds like a nice race, but May 2015 is graduation for my son, so too much going on to travel. I am thinking about IM AZ, but will wait a bit and see if that wears off. I was supposed to be one and done, but as usual you think about all you could do differently and want to give it another try.
Hope everyone is enjoying some rest.

2014-08-01 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Sounds like a lot of us found this race a real challenge, but are now looking forward to determine "what's next?" I know I fall into that category, and feel like Vineman owes me a rematch! But there are so many options . . .
2014-08-02 10:32 PM

User image

Kate,

Keep St. George on the bucket list. I'm local so I'm biased but the race is really great. You should file a race report for Vineman. I would like to hear the details of your race day. It's interesting to see how everybody dealt with the challenges of the day.

Tom,

Are you thinking of doing another IM distance next year? I haven't decided. I am tempted by IM Maryland since we have family that lives there but haven't decided. I may stick to 70.3's.

2014-08-02 11:04 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Jose, definitely planning to do another IM, question is do I wait until next year:-) I feel like I could do much better than I did atVineman if the conditions are a bit less extreme. Maryland huh? I was born in Maryland . . .
2014-08-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For those who did the Full this year, was the cow bell lady on Chalk Hill this year?

2014-08-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Okay, I am back from my post Vineman vacation. Lots of hiking and walking. It certainly helped with the pain I felt the next day. Curbs were my enemy the day after the race. It was so great meeting all of you! I, too have been searching for next years IM. I am thinking of Whistler, Canada's IM in July (same weekend as Vineman). I would really like to do one in another country.

Just did my race review. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

I would like to do a 70.3 too, It would be nice to feel you can go all out on the whole thing. As my first full distance, I didn't know how hard I could push it, so now I have a better understanding of what I can possibly do (at least at Vineman). Let me know what your next 70.3 or 140.6 will be. It would be nice to keep our group going.

2014-08-03 7:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

For those who did the Full this year, was the cow bell lady on Chalk Hill this year?

There wasn't a cow bell lady, but there was a highly motivated, crop top, crazy dancer at Chalk Hill. She was awesome! Very energetic and motivating.
2014-08-03 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Hey Rita - glad to hear you are back on your feet and got some time to relax on vacation after the race. I tried to access your race report, but the link doe just gives me a blank page. Did you click the button on the bottom that says something like "Make race report available for public viewing"? If not, I don't think we'll be able to see it.

Wow, thinking about doing a race in another country! I commented to my wife after loading all the bags of stuff needed to do an IM that I was really not sure if I could figure out how to do a race I had to fly to. I know people do it all the time, but it seems kind of overwhelming. I'm thinking Vineman may owe me a rematch with more moderate temps, so I may have to revisit the course next year. Looking at doing the Pacific Grove Oly in about 5 weeks and have been easing back into training with a few 20 mile rides and 3 mile runs. I kind of feel like I may not have pushed hard enough during the race as my recovery has been a really easy one - or is that just the "No Pain, No Gain" high school coaching I got talking :-)

I'm glad we took the time to do the meet and greet before the race. You've got a great family and I think it is fantastic the way they are supporting you in your Tri pursuits. Everyone in the group was great and I'd be happy to do a race with any of you guys any time!

Edited by TTom 2014-08-03 8:37 PM
2014-08-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Hey Rita - glad to hear you are back on your feet and got some time to relax on vacation after the race. I tried to access your race report, but the link doe just gives me a blank page. Did you click the button on the bottom that says something like "Make race report available for public viewing"? If not, I don't think we'll be able to see it.

Wow, thinking about doing a race in another country! I commented to my wife after loading all the bags of stuff needed to do an IM that I was really not sure if I could figure out how to do a race I had to fly to. I know people do it all the time, but it seems kind of overwhelming. I'm thinking Vineman may owe me a rematch with more moderate temps, so I may have to revisit the course next year. Looking at doing the Pacific Grove Oly in about 5 weeks and have been easing back into training with a few 20 mile rides and 3 mile runs. I kind of feel like I may not have pushed hard enough during the race as my recovery has been a really easy one - or is that just the "No Pain, No Gain" high school coaching I got talking :-)

I'm glad we took the time to do the meet and greet before the race. You've got a great family and I think it is fantastic the way they are supporting you in your Tri pursuits. Everyone in the group was great and I'd be happy to do a race with any of you guys any time!

Thanks Tom! Looks like you would win if you put more into the race. You Rock!!! I recovered rather quickly too, I think. I couldn't walk the next day, the second day I was still instable and stiff, by the third day I felt pretty good. So, I think this is fast? Faster than I thought anyway.

I clicked the public link so hopefully it will work now.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2014-08-03 10:14 PM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Rita,

Great race report. Again congratulations! As for me, the rest of my season I have a 4 mile race (next Saturday), an Oly Tri (9/13) and Ragnar Vegas (November). We'll be doing Ragnar Vegas with a 6-person team so that should be fun. Next year I for sure will do St. George 70.3 in May and I may do IM Maryland in Sept. but I'm still not sure if I want to do another Full next year. I'm with Tom though, I would love to tackle Vineman on a more temperate day. I loved that race.
2014-08-03 10:38 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

Rita,

Great race report. Again congratulations! As for me, the rest of my season I have a 4 mile race (next Saturday), an Oly Tri (9/13) and Ragnar Vegas (November). We'll be doing Ragnar Vegas with a 6-person team so that should be fun. Next year I for sure will do St. George 70.3 in May and I may do IM Maryland in Sept. but I'm still not sure if I want to do another Full next year. I'm with Tom though, I would love to tackle Vineman on a more temperate day. I loved that race.

Good Luck on your races Jose! The only thing on the books for me is a Oly in October. I feel this big let down, I just want to get out and race more right now. October seems so far away. I have always wanted to do Ragnar... some day.

2014-08-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

Hey all - I too had an easy recovery from this race. I have been much more sore after a hilly marathon. Either triathlons are just easier on the body or I didn't go hard enough. It is a learning experience to see how much you can push. I just wanted to finish and didn't want to get sick. Now that we know the ropes, it would be nice to see how we could do the race differently. If I lived closer I would do Vineman next year for sure. That was just a great event.

I am going to volunteer at IMAZ this year which will give me an opportunity to register for next year. I won't have to decide until November so I have time to see if the desire wears off. I may do an Oly in Sept, but it will be pretty hot for racing then so not too enthusiastic about that. Other than that, open water swims and trail races this fall.
2014-08-08 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
It sounds like we all raced Vineman smartly since this was our first IM distance tri, faced with the unknown of the long run in the heat, not pushing too hard. Also sounds like we each figured out some things that will be incorporated in our next one. For me, I think I was too conservative on pushing myself on the run after seeing the race leader drop out and get into the car right in front of me and it wasn't until the last 3 or so miles I dared to push the pace up, finding that when I did so I still had HR reserves that I could have pulled on.

So I've been a bit quiet since the race because on the Monday following my wife and I hopped on a 10-day cruise to Alaska and could only get internet connectivity at reasonable rates when in some of the ports! We've been married 35 years this year and decided to celebrate. I may or may not have used the excuse that it would be an enforced recovery period for me since the pools are small and my bike is at home and I really don't like running on a treadmill. I only ended up running about 23 miles (that is 69 laps of the Promenade deck) and riding about 60 on the exercise bike in the gym. We have just pulled into port and are waiting to disembark. I weighed in at about 150 the day before the race and I'm guessing I tip the scales at about 160 now with all the good food, and endless quantities of it, that they serve on the ship. There were reports I may have had multiple desserts at many sittings. Perhaps I continued the carb loading a tad bit past the day before the race :-) I'm looking forward to getting on the bike this afternoon and starting the process of getting ready for my Oly in 5 weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51848 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30613 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38547 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12512 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24242 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.