General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-02-06 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4945708

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
Sorry, didn't mean to save half sentence. Are any of you on Strava? Any Orange County? Okay, enough with my excitement and nervousness. Can't wait to get rolling with all of you.

2014-02-06 10:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Rita, my "official" training plan doesn't start for a quite a few more weeks, but I've plotted out the weeks between now and then to make sure I'm in a good place when the time comes.  Obsessing over stuff, yup.  Loving it, you bet!  On the subject of nutrition, this'll be my first full so I'm not able to give you any sort of definitive answer.  Like you I've done a lot of reading of other's experience and have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find THE answer based on what others have done because, as you said, the inputs are all over the place.  I think that the best advice I've seen for we first-timers is to start with what we've done in the past on shorter races and during training, build on it and try modifications until you home in on what works best for you - especially in the latter part of the race.  I don't know if I could do all liquid on the bike AND on the run as at some point in need a change in flavor, more salt, or just something more solid.  I posted more detail on my current thinking on page 2 of the thread if you are interested. 

Edited by TTom 2014-02-06 10:43 PM
2014-02-06 10:52 PM
in reply to: #4945709

User image

Thanks Tom, my instincts are to continue what I know works for me now. I have never ridden more than 60 miles, so the unknown is a bit scary.
2014-02-07 11:23 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Thanks Tom, my instincts are to continue what I know works for me now. I have never ridden more than 60 miles, so the unknown is a bit scary.

Rita, I did my first IM last year and relied mostly on liquid nutrition after training with it with mixed results for a while. I finished the race but way over the time I wanted mostly because I bonked on the run. I think nutrition had a lot to do with this. You really need to find a good mix of fat, protein, carbs AND electrolytes. I think the nutrition I used relied too much on carbs and protein but I got my salt and electrolytes totally messed up.

I also second what Tom said, you will want to mix in some solid salty stuff. Doesn't have to be a lot but enough to give you some variety. I think one can successfully rely on liquid nutrition if you get the mix right. So I would start experimenting with nutrition choices right now. Also find a snack that is comfortable to eat on the bike for variety. If it is difficult to eat the snack (i.e. wrappers, etc.) then you probably won't eat it. Good luck.
2014-02-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
Anyone have recommendations on what day to arrive and what day to leave? I'm thinking of arriving Thursday midday, and leaving Monday morning. I can't take too much time off work, but I figure that having 2 days before to settle in after flying and 1 day after to recover and celebrate should be appropriate. If anyone has input, I welcome the advice!
2014-02-07 12:43 PM
in reply to: JMart

User image

Expert
Salem
I raced with a guy from Kansas who flew out on Thursday and he was pretty rushed. He flew into San Francisco and drove up. Lots of traffic. He also had to put his bike together and rushed him even more. Friday is a pretty busy day with packet pickup and the expo. Depending on where you are staying you will be driving some to get to Windsor High School (T2 ) and to Johnson's Beach if you wanted to do a swim before hand. Getting to Johnson's Beach is a bit of a Drive. Lots of traffic as well and single lane roads.

If you could flying in on Wednesday that might be better. I drove from Oregon ( day and a half drive) and arrived on Thursday afternoon however I didn't have to put my bike together. I stayed at the Flamingo. Quite a ways away but not to bad. Beds weren't all that great but has a great pool and restaurant. Pasta dish with steak and dichon mustard sauce is to die for. Had it two nights in a row. Somewhat expensive. I am sure there are closer hotels and less expensive.

When you go to Johnson's Beach on the day of the race I went real early. Got there right at 5;00 am and was able to park right on the street about a block and a half from T1 entrance. If you get there later you will have to park in the field up the road from T1 entrance.

I left the day after the race and was quite sore. I had a driver so that helped. It wouldn't have mattered if I left Sunday or Monday I was just as sore. By the end of the week I was fine and left for Florida to vacation at Disney World.

Be prepared, over prepared, the logistics of separate T1 and T2 sites keeps you thinking and you have to have everything in order including transportation to T1 and At T2 for the end of the race. It is nice to have a Tri Sherpa to carry your stuff drive you to T1 and pickup your bike and stuff fromT2 while you are running. My Tri Sherpas parked my vehicle right out front of Windsor High School and had my stuff all packed up from T2 and was ready to go right after I finished the run. The Race Program helps you figure all the stuff out, but you always have it in the back of your mind did I forget something, you will ....just make sure it is not something critical like your bike, which you have to bring to T1 on the day of the race or your wetsuit. I left
my HRM at home.

2014-02-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriGuyBri I raced with a guy from Kansas who flew out on Thursday and he was pretty rushed. He flew into San Francisco and drove up. Lots of traffic.  

I flew from Kansas last year and arrived on Thursday, thought it was fine. Flew into Oakland and drive up - yep there was traffic but we were not in a big hurry Thursday night, just wanted to get to where we were staying. I did have a friend on-site to put my bike together, so that relived some of my stress. Friday went on a test run and test bike ride around the neighborhood and headed to check-in. Plenty of time for me, even being someone who plans the crap out of these things and worries about time crunches (this was also my 3rd IM though, so maybe that helped).

We stayed until Wednesday after the race. It was lovely to relax, wine taste, kayak on the river, etc. My family went on a fishing excursion. horseback riding, and explored San Fransicso on the way home. Lots of stuff to do!

2014-02-07 1:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Salem
I forgot you were from Kansas as well.
2014-02-07 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I am finally putting together my Vineman 140.6 Shadow Box. I'llpost it when I am finished. Hopefully it will be a motivator for you. As well check on line for videos of the bike and run course. There are videos of the full course to view.
2014-02-07 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jill, I'm planning on driving up on Thursday, but for me it is only a two hour drive and no bike assembly.  I kept up with the thread for last year's race and saw Brian really recommended the Flamingo, so booked there.  And now have a great menu recommendation as well (thanks Brian!).  Looks like one of the key things you'll have to make sure you have in place and are comfortable with is bike assembly.  Are you going to do that yourself or do you have a local bike shop in mind?  There is a good one right in Windsor, but I'm sure you could also find something in Santa Rosa.  Don't know if you could arrange to ship in advance to them and have it ready when you get there, but suppose that could be part of the plan.  At any rate, I'm hoping most people get in on Thursday so we'll all be able to get together for a pre-race dinner on Friday!

2014-02-08 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Another option for you guys is to meet in Windsor on Friday morning at a local coffee shop. That is what we did and it was great. Went to the coffee shop and then rolled over to the Packet pickup and expo. Worked out great.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (64KB - 6 downloads)

2014-02-09 7:41 PM

User image

New user
San Rafael, California

Your first name? Dan
How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? I did a sprint last year and loved it. A friend of mine does IMs and convinced me to do the full this year.
What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? 0 I am nervous but looking forward to it.
At registration time, what's your finish goal? Just to finish!
Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? None yet, but I may have some later.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Dan
2014-02-09 10:57 PM
in reply to: Happyinmarin

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Welcome, Dan! 'Nervous but looking forward to it' is, I think, a feeling you'll be sharing with a number of us. Is your friend going to be doing Vineman also and perhaps serving as a training partner? That would be a great benefit while you are preparing for your first IM distance race. I'm really fortunate to have that situation, so hope you can too.
2014-02-11 10:06 AM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
I have a novice question - how does the nutrition work on the bike course? I've read things about ditching bottles when they are empty and other things about yelling out to volunteers what you want as you approach. Is everything done on the fly? I assume for some cases you would have to stop and get stuff, unless they toss bars and gels at you too... which seems unlikely.

Can someone give me a idea of how on-course nutrition generally works for an IM?
2014-02-11 7:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

Another option for you guys is to meet in Windsor on Friday morning at a local coffee shop. That is what we did and it was great. Went to the coffee shop and then rolled over to the Packet pickup and expo. Worked out great.

That sounds like a great idea Brian. I will have my family with me and dinner might be too much for them.
2014-02-11 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
the first stop has bananas, gatorade in a ready to drink bottle and water and throughout the course? The volunteers will hand to you on the fly if you yell it out, however, I stopped at the first stop and used the port-a-potty as the line was short. I think there were two or three bathrooms at this stop as well as others. I didn't stop at the others but rode through and gathered supplies on the fly and your throw your empties as close to the garbage area as you can. Some stops were handing out small Clif bars and cut PBNJ's. In the Race Program for Bike special needs they say you have to stop and get off your bike and get your own, but there were people there and I just stopped stayed with my bike and they brought it to me. I gathered what I needed and handed the bag back to them. I left a tube, a water bottle and a couple CO2 cartridges.

Hope this helps.

2014-02-11 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
There is also food for sale at the Expo. I think it is a fund raiser for the school. It was pretty good and had a variety of things to choose from. Rather healthy food not junk food. I think I had a Grilled chicken sandwich and some pasta salad. But they also had sandwiches and other items.
2014-02-11 11:38 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Brian, love the Friday morning meeting idea. Thanks for all the inputs you and the other racers from last year are providing; nothing better than the voice of experience!
2014-02-11 11:55 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Glad to assist. I had a great experience and hope you do as well. Wish I could be in it again, but I don't think my body could take another year of training plus the expense. I have the itch, but it quickly goes away. I'll continue to lurk and provide any information you all might have questions about.
2014-02-12 8:22 AM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire

Sorry, didn't mean to save half sentence. Are any of you on Strava? Any Orange County? Okay, enough with my excitement and nervousness. Can't wait to get rolling with all of you.

Hi Rita,
I'm on Strava. My workouts aren't anything impressive, and I am on the other side of the country... but if you want to look me up, I'm under my name, Jill Martins, and it will show me located in Plaistow, NH.
2014-02-12 8:24 AM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

There is also food for sale at the Expo. I think it is a fund raiser for the school. It was pretty good and had a variety of things to choose from. Rather healthy food not junk food. I think I had a Grilled chicken sandwich and some pasta salad. But they also had sandwiches and other items.

Thanks for all the info, Brian! I'm guessing I'll stop and get things from the volunteers, unless I get a little more confident on the bike. I'm always worried I'm going to be that person that falls over or something, but that mostly comes from still finding it unusual to have my feet clipped in. Hopefully by the time I get to Vineman, I'll be feeling a lot more capable and won't be worried about it.

2014-02-12 10:17 AM

User image

I'm in also for Friday morning. My wife will be with me and it would be great to meet all you guys. Thanks to Brian also for all the useful info.
2014-02-12 11:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by JMart

Hi Rita,
I'm on Strava. My workouts aren't anything impressive, and I am on the other side of the country... but if you want to look me up, I'm under my name, Jill Martins, and it will show me located in Plaistow, NH.

Mine isn't that impressive either... I like how you note your workouts. I am going to start to do the same thing. It will be fun following each other over the next several months. Woo Hoo! Let the fun begin!
2014-02-13 12:47 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Now that things are beginning to ramp up training-wise, I was wondering if everyone in the group plans on using the BT training log to keep track of progress? I've seen in other groups where it has been useful when there were questions that knowing the training history would help answer. Thoughts?
2014-02-13 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I use the BT logging. I also use strava but only on some of my outdoor bike rides to get more detailed information - bgmiller71 is my username and I am in Sacramento.

Where is everyone staying? I looked at some hotels in Windsor when I signed up and they are pretty expensive. I have a RV and there is a campgound nearby so I may go that route since it is only a few hours away.

I just picked up some Hoka's since my knees have been giving me some problems lately. They are just worn down after 5 knee surgeries over the years. I gave them a quick try last night after my bike ride and there is definitely more cushion. I hope I get the same results as others because that is the one thing that makes me nervous.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51955 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30686 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38612 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12539 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24307 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.