General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-06-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
Tom, congrats to you and your family on the wedding. What an incredible picture! That was simply awesome. Must feel nice seeing your third child married. I have three myself and my oldest just finished her first year in college, the other two are still teenagers, so I have a long ways to go still.

Kate, nice job on the 100 (108) miler. The longest I have gone thus far this season is 70. I am having a hard time finding the time! I have a 100 miler scheduled for next week so we'll see how that goes.

2014-06-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
This weekend I have my first half distance event in Folsom, CA. To say that I am starting to get nervous is an understatement. The high on Sunday, the day of the race is expected to be 102. Fortunately, my only goal is to finish, but I have my doubts. The course and temperature are very similar to what Vineman will be like in July, which is why I choose this race. I did the sprint distance in Folsom last year, and thought it was a great event.

I had a good run on Sunday (9 miles), but today my legs still feel weak and sore, which is concerning. I guess at this point, either the fitness is there, or it isn't. I know once the race starts, all my doubts will go away, and I will get into the mood of the race, but I wish I had another month at this point and time!
2014-06-05 7:28 PM
in reply to: Happyinmarin

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Kate, just did an 85 mile ride with 3200 feet of climb followed by a 3 mile run in 90 degree heat. My hat is off to you for your 100+ last weekend! For me it was a good lesson with an unexpected twist. First lesson was that 5 hours is much harder than 4 hours, and when you add in heat, that goes up a lot. Hydration and nutrition worked out great (1 bottle of 3-hour Infinit concentrate, 1 king-side Payday, 60 oz water). Was able to average about 19 mph on the non-hilly section of the ride, but the hills dropped the average down to 17.1. Not terribly unhappy with it as the hills were much more challenging than what will be at Vineman, but they did take the wind out of my sails a bit for the final 10-15 miles. The unexpected twist was the development of a hotspot on my right foot. Wow, I'd never had anything like that before. It is not a blister, but rather a nerve issue from the metatarsals being forced together. Feels like your foot is on fire! Tried wiggling the toes around but could not get relief. Ended up stopping and walking around literally for 1 minute and all was fine. Hope this is not a beginning of a new trend . . .
2014-06-05 8:06 PM

Sounds like a nice ride It is good to get one done. You kept up good speed with the hills and heat. I went a lot slower, though I forgot my Garmin so no idea what the pace was. You never know what is going to hurt when you are on the bike so long. My feet started getting numb and I found moving around a bit helped. I guess in the grand scheme of things a few minutes to walk it out won't ruin the day. No way I could have run after it though. If it is that hot at Vineman I will sit under a shady tree and wait for the sun to go down before I start running.

Jose - tough to find the time for those nearly day long rides with 3 kids and their activities. I don't know how you manage to train at all. We have a 17 year old rehabbing an ACL so not so many games to attend this year.

Good luck with Folsom. I am sure you are ready and will learn a lot about what works for you. Hope the weather breaks, not supposed to be so hot in Cali, right?

Kate
2014-06-05 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Happyinmarin This weekend I have my first half distance event in Folsom, CA. To say that I am starting to get nervous is an understatement. The high on Sunday, the day of the race is expected to be 102. Fortunately, my only goal is to finish, but I have my doubts. The course and temperature are very similar to what Vineman will be like in July, which is why I choose this race. I did the sprint distance in Folsom last year, and thought it was a great event. I had a good run on Sunday (9 miles), but today my legs still feel weak and sore, which is concerning. I guess at this point, either the fitness is there, or it isn't. I know once the race starts, all my doubts will go away, and I will get into the mood of the race, but I wish I had another month at this point and time!
Dan, if Folsom is just a training race, take it easy in that heat.  I don't know if you are planning your electrolyte replacement with the excessive temps in mind, but you will be sweating out a LOT of salt, so make sure you stay on top of that.  You won't be getting much from the gels, so you may want to take some Endurolyte or the like with you on the bike and the run.  You don't want to jeopardize your A race in July!  I'm hoping you are way off on what the temps will be at Vineman; last year for the 70.3 we only hit the low 80's.  I'm choosing to believe we'll see a repeat of that temp this year.

2014-06-05 9:46 PM

User image

Hi Guys,
My training was going well, then life interrupted it a bit. I have three kids and all their activities took precedence over mine. A few other minor things too. I did an Oly Tri last week and PR'd. Yeah! My fastest on the course in 4 years, which makes me very happy. I have another Oly Tri this weekend and am looking forward to it being over so I get totally back on track with my long rides/runs. I don't know what I was thinking putting 2 Oly's back to back. Oh well. I have been having issues with my Achilles tendons and calf's. I have had the increased arthritis and tendonitis issues for 6 years so I just deal with it. It take a while to get going, but once I do the pain decreases and more manageable. My biggest ride to date is 65, got to get this up, and run is only 13 miles so far. Next week I should be back to 12 plus hour trainings instead of the 8 hour sessions.

Tom - Awesome wedding photo. The lighting is incredible. What a beautiful couple!

Dan - Good Luck in Folsom! Have fun and smell the roses. Thanks for the course update too.

Kate - Nice job on the 100 in 100 degrees. You rock! OH yah, yes Rolling Rock should be considered a recover drink. I am all for it.

I can't believe the race is only 7 weeks away. It seems like just yesterday it was 5 months away. How time flies.

2014-06-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

Happy Monday!
Rita - Glad you are back at it and hope your race went well. I don't know how you can do even 8 hours with 3 kids.
Dan - Hope you race went well.

My 4500 open water swim turned into 3000 when it became a no wetsuit swim. I have never done a no wetsuit swim and didn't want to have the distance as well. The 3000 went fine, it is just going to take as long as it takes. But I do feel confident I can do the distance without getting too tired. And I don't get the initial panic which is huge for me.

My ride was just 60 miles, didn't even think I deserved a Payday for that.

Hope the weekend training went well for everyone.

Kate
2014-06-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Hi,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Here is the link to my race report for the half I did yesterday:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

The heat definitely got to me on the run, when I got back to the car to check the temperature, it was 106. The run was a disaster to say the least and somehow I pushed through. I felt good on the swim, pretty good on the bike, and just absolutely bonked on the run. I feel pretty good today, just a little tight in the legs and plan on doing some stretching, eating, and resting today. Oh, and slathering aloe all over my neck and shoulders repeatedly!
2014-06-09 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Dan, congrats on gutting it out when it got really tough!  It does sound like a really rough day with that heat, but also sounds like it was a really worthwhile race from you with all the things you learned.  Better to learn them now than in the Vineman.  I plan to shift my training around in the last few weeks to spend much more time training in the hot part of the day to try and A) get better acclimated to heat during exertion, B) get a better understanding of what foods my body will tolerate best in those conditions and, C)get a better handle on hydration needs in the heat.  Your experience really brings home the need to do that, so thanks for posting your report!

2014-06-11 8:20 PM

Wow Dan, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Running is pretty rough at 106 degrees. Congrats on the finish!
2014-06-12 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
My training partner had to cancel our joint long ride yesterday so I made a last minute decision to drive up and ride the course. Decided I'd park up by the high school (T2 and finish line) and ride the back loop of the course (mostly) twice, then the run the first part of the run course including the first hills. Ride called for 5.5 hours at HR z1-z2 followed by a 30 minute transition run at z2. Since this is IM level effort for me, I was excited to be able to take it to the venue, and got a lot out of it. There were two clear takeaways on the ride for me. The first, although obvious, really hit home. The last half of this course takes a lot more out of you than the first half. I finished the first half feeling strong and ready to keep on going with my HR still staying in z1 at a planned average pace of 18.5mph. About a third of the way into the second half, I started to feel the miles. Nothing definite, it just got harder. HR started to drift up and hills that were easy the first time around required a gear or two easier to get up. Chalk hill on the first lap was just a grinder, on the second loop it was a definite challenge. (Note: I think I'm going to change out my cassette from ann 12-25 to a 12-28 because of this experience). Ended the ride solidly in z2, so met the ride HR goal, but average speed had dropped to 18.1mph. Which leads to the second takeaway for me regarding this course. Shift early and shift often. On this course, the flat sections are the exception, not the rule. When I looked at the data after the race, I saw that I started at an elevation of about 100ft and the max elevation was only 460ft. So what's the big deal you may ask? Total elevation gain over the ride was about 4000ft, which means that you are constantly going up or down a hill. They aren't big hills, but there are a lot of them. Some are steeper/longer than they first appear, and I found that I was late in shifting when I started to tire, and that resulted in a higher effort. So I adopted the mantra, shift early and shift often, and life got a little bit easier. If it is at all possible for you to do your long rides in rolling hills, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Finished the ride in 5:42 at 103 miles and an average speed of 18.1mph - a little slower than I had hoped, but I was not wiped out which was the goal.Put the bike on the car and headed out for the run. Started about 1/2 way down Reiman and headed toward Starr at 1:30 pm and found that there was a good deal of shade at that time of day. When I rode the run course, it seemed that it was relatively flat except for the noticeable hills, but running it I found that once you get on Starr road, everything is an incline of some sort. My plan for the race was to run the first couple of miles at nothing faster than a 9:00 pace to keep HR down, but that will be a challenge here as the gentle downhills are enough that with no apparent added effort you can easily knock 30 seconds off that pace. But those downhills are offset by gentle uphills, so hoping they are going to balance out. The first couple of hills on the course look big when you are approaching them, but a short stride and high cadence got me up OK. Like the bike course, however, the 3rd time around going up those hills I expect will be a much different story!A final note. On the bike course the big deal is Chalk Hill. If you haven't ridden the course, you may look toward it with anxiety or with anticipation, but the way the course flows you never really know when you are at Chalk hill until you are a quarter of the way up it. There's a sign that says "Chalk Hill", but that, I think, refers to the wine region, and it is well before the hill. There are numerous hills you come upon that twist out of sight and you think, "Here it is!", but it's not. On the ride I finally found a marker to let me know when I'd reached it. Right at the base of the hill is a "Speed Limit 35 mph" sign. Prior to that you'll see 45mph, 30 mph, etc., but once into the hilly section the 35mph sign at the base of the hill was the first 35mph sign I saw. And sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks, I'm doing this on my iPad and cannot figure out how to get them to work!

2014-06-12 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
My training partner had to cancel our joint long ride yesterday so I made a last minute decision to drive up and ride the course. Decided I'd park up by the high school (T2 and finish line) and ride the back loop of the course (mostly) twice, then the run the first part of the run course including the first hills. Ride called for 5.5 hours at HR z1-z2 followed by a 30 minute transition run at z2. Since this is IM level effort for me, I was excited to be able to take it to the venue, and got a lot out of it. There were two clear takeaways on the ride for me. The first, although obvious, really hit home. The last half of this course takes a lot more out of you than the first half. I finished the first half feeling strong and ready to keep on going with my HR still staying in z1 at a planned average pace of 18.5mph. About a third of the way into the second half, I started to feel the miles. Nothing definite, it just got harder. HR started to drift up and hills that were easy the first time around required a gear or two easier to get up. Chalk hill on the first lap was just a grinder, on the second loop it was a definite challenge. (Note: I think I'm going to change out my cassette from ann 12-25 to a 12-28 because of this experience). Ended the ride solidly in z2, so met the ride HR goal, but average speed had dropped to 18.1mph. Which leads to the second takeaway for me regarding this course. Shift early and shift often. On this course, the flat sections are the exception, not the rule. When I looked at the data after the race, I saw that I started at an elevation of about 100ft and the max elevation was only 460ft. So what's the big deal you may ask? Total elevation gain over the ride was about 4000ft, which means that you are constantly going up or down a hill. They aren't big hills, but there are a lot of them. Some are steeper/longer than they first appear, and I found that I was late in shifting when I started to tire, and that resulted in a higher effort. So I adopted the mantra, shift early and shift often, and life got a little bit easier. If it is at all possible for you to do your long rides in rolling hills, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Finished the ride in 5:42 at 103 miles and an average speed of 18.1mph - a little slower than I had hoped, but I was not wiped out which was the goal.Put the bike on the car and headed out for the run. Started about 1/2 way down Reiman and headed toward Starr at 1:30 pm and found that there was a good deal of shade at that time of day. When I rode the run course, it seemed that it was relatively flat except for the noticeable hills, but running it I found that once you get on Starr road, everything is an incline of some sort. My plan for the race was to run the first couple of miles at nothing faster than a 9:00 pace to keep HR down, but that will be a challenge here as the gentle downhills are enough that with no apparent added effort you can easily knock 30 seconds off that pace. But those downhills are offset by gentle uphills, so hoping they are going to balance out. The first couple of hills on the course look big when you are approaching them, but a short stride and high cadence got me up OK. Like the bike course, however, the 3rd time around going up those hills I expect will be a much different story!A final note. On the bike course the big deal is Chalk Hill. If you haven't ridden the course, you may look toward it with anxiety or with anticipation, but the way the course flows you never really know when you are at Chalk hill until you are a quarter of the way up it. There's a sign that says "Chalk Hill", but that, I think, refers to the wine region, and it is well before the hill. There are numerous hills you come upon that twist out of sight and you think, "Here it is!", but it's not. On the ride I finally found a marker to let me know when I'd reached it. Right at the base of the hill is a "Speed Limit 35 mph" sign. Prior to that you'll see 45mph, 30 mph, etc., but once into the hilly section the 35mph sign at the base of the hill was the first 35mph sign I saw. And sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks, I'm doing this on my iPad and cannot figure out how to get them to work!
2014-06-13 11:33 AM

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Thanks for the great report.

Did you notice any improvements on the construction zone over the freeway? I plan on doing two loops next weekend, albeit at a much slower pace.
2014-06-13 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Dan, I did not ride airport because I wanted to avoid the construction zone, but when I drove back coming out of Windsor on 101, it looks like the new overpass is in operation and the old one has been removed!  Should be a nice smooth surface now.  After your ride be sure to post your experience; I'll be interested to see what learnings you get out of it.

2014-06-13 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Dan, here's where I parked.  It is in a nice residential area where I felt safe leaving my bike locked on my bike rack when I ran.  It is right next to the high school and if you have to do a transition run, you can do it on the course by coming out of the residential area onto Reiman and turning right, then left on Starr.

Edited by TTom 2014-06-13 5:08 PM
2014-06-13 8:41 PM

Tom - Thanks for all the course info. You are lucky to get to ride the course. It is nice to hear the roads are in better condition than previous reports.
I am off for my 100 tomorrow, will be sure to include the hills! It will be HOT - a 2 pay day ride for sure.

Kate

2014-06-13 9:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Awesome information Tom! All of it will help to be mentally prepared for the race, especially how you felt the second time around and the where Chalk hill climb begins. Anticipation can mess you sometimes. I did my longest ride of 75 miles today with 3700 feet of climbing. Felt good cardiovascularly but my toes hurt from being numb. I loosened my shoes and it helped a little but not much. I keep getting a mild headache at about 65 miles. I do need to drink more water that I know for sure. I am still not confident in my nutrition, although I haven't had any concerns as yet. Question for you guys? How many weeks of tapering are you doing? It looks like I am behind the curve for mileage on the bike. My longest distance planned is 90 miles or 6 hours (which ever comes first), but that is scheduled 3 weeks out, followed by an 80, and then a 50 the week before the race. Does that seem OK or do you think I should adjust it? I did Oly tri's the past two weekends so I didn't have any long rides in the last 3 weeks. Anyway, enough for now,

Have a great 100 tomorrow Kate!
2014-06-13 9:33 PM

User image

Kate, just did an 85 mile ride with 3200 feet of climb followed by a 3 mile run in 90 degree heat. My hat is off to you for your 100+ last weekend! For me it was a good lesson with an unexpected twist. First lesson was that 5 hours is much harder than 4 hours, and when you add in heat, that goes up a lot. Hydration and nutrition worked out great (1 bottle of 3-hour Infinit concentrate, 1 king-side Payday, 60 oz water). Was able to average about 19 mph on the non-hilly section of the ride, but the hills dropped the average down to 17.1. Not terribly unhappy with it as the hills were much more challenging than what will be at Vineman, but they did take the wind out of my sails a bit for the final 10-15 miles. The unexpected twist was the development of a hotspot on my right foot. Wow, I'd never had anything like that before. It is not a blister, but rather a nerve issue from the metatarsals being forced together. Feels like your foot is on fire! Tried wiggling the toes around but could not get relief. Ended up stopping and walking around literally for 1 minute and all was fine. Hope this is not a beginning of a new trend . . .

Just read this. I had the same foot issue today on my left foot. Sounds exactly the same. My foot/toes felt like they were on fire when I wiggled or moved them. It also felt like a nerve issue. It took mine about 10-15 minutes to go away. Wild. I also found that as long as I kept my foot/toes solid in my shoe without letting them move the pain or heat wasn't as intense while I was riding.
2014-06-13 9:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Just read this. I had the same foot issue today on my left foot. Sounds exactly the same. My foot/toes felt like they were on fire when I wiggled or moved them. It also felt like a nerve issue. It took mine about 10-15 minutes to go away. Wild. I also found that as long as I kept my foot/toes solid in my shoe without letting them move the pain or heat wasn't as intense while I was riding.

FYI - Painful burning on the ball of the foot (a.k.a. hot foot, or metatarsalgia) is usually a result of hot weather or poorly fitting shoes—or both—on long, hilly rides. "Pressure can pinch nerves in one or both feet and shut down a ride fast," says Amol Saxena, DPM, a time-trial cyclist and podiatrist in the department of sports medicine at the Palo Alto Medical Hospital in California. "If hot foot strikes while you're on a ride, there isn't much you can do other than stop, take off your shoes and let your feet cool down." Saxena takes these precautions to keep his feet cool and comfortable during races.

DO THE SQUISH TEST When shopping for cycling shoes, pull out the insole and hold it up to the bottom of your bare foot (in front of a mirror). "if you can see any part of your foot beyond the borders of the insole, you need a wider shoe," says Saxena. A tip: When you find the perfect shoe, buy another pair for backup.

TAKE A LOAD OFF Move your cleats a few millimeters closer to the heel of the shoe to take pressure off your forefoot. or switch to a larger-platform pedal to more evenly distribute the pressure across your feet.

CUSHION THE BLOW Over time and after many miles on the bike, your feet start to lose their natural padding, which can make riding painful. adding more supportive insoles to your cycling shoes can help. if you're shopping for new shoes, take the insoles along to make sure you get the best fit.

BE A MATERIAL GIRL Choose socks made of high-tech fibers such as Coolmax and Thermax, which wick away sweat. and don't buy a pair right off the rack; try them on with your cycling shoes first.

2014-06-13 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Hotspots seem to be hitting us all at once. As I said in an earlier post, I had iit on my 85 mile ride a few weeks ago and it was a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale. Later read a description that said that the pain of hotspots could be likened to a blowtorch being applied to the bottom of your foot - an apt description as far as I'm concerned.

Got off the bike and walked for a minute and it went away, but I knew I had to find out what to do to prevent it. Did my internet research and then bought inserts for my shoes and a new pair of thin cycling socks. Went to Mike's Bikes where they sell Specialized inserts that are designed to address this issue. They measured my foot with a pressure pad and discovered I had high arches. Got the appropriate inserts which also have a metatarsal pad which helps spread the bones in the front of the foot, and my understanding is that the cause of the pain is the metatarsals being forced together, so sounded pretty good to me. The insert along with the thinner bike socks seem to have done the trick as I had NO issue with the hotspots during my 100 miler last Wednesday. I was going to also move my cleats back 3-4 mm but decided to not change too many things at once, and it looks like I may not need to do that after all, but have that option still open

The inserts were all of $30, and well worth it!
2014-06-14 11:50 AM

User image

Hotspots seem to be hitting us all at once. As I said in an earlier post, I had iit on my 85 mile ride a few weeks ago and it was a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale. Later read a description that said that the pain of hotspots could be likened to a blowtorch being applied to the bottom of your foot - an apt description as far as I'm concerned.

Got off the bike and walked for a minute and it went away, but I knew I had to find out what to do to prevent it. Did my internet research and then bought inserts for my shoes and a new pair of thin cycling socks. Went to Mike's Bikes where they sell Specialized inserts that are designed to address this issue. They measured my foot with a pressure pad and discovered I had high arches. Got the appropriate inserts which also have a metatarsal pad which helps spread the bones in the front of the foot, and my understanding is that the cause of the pain is the metatarsals being forced together, so sounded pretty good to me. The insert along with the thinner bike socks seem to have done the trick as I had NO issue with the hotspots during my 100 miler last Wednesday. I was going to also move my cleats back 3-4 mm but decided to not change too many things at once, and it looks like I may not need to do that after all, but have that option still open

The inserts were all of $30, and well worth it!

Awesome! I can do $30, I did just a little reading last night and thought it was going to take new shoes, cleats and pedals. I couldn't swing all of that. I'll have to find out where I can I be fitted around here. Thanks for the info.

2014-06-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by ritakandel]  Question for you guys? How many weeks of tapering are you doing? It looks like I am behind the curve for mileage on the bike. My longest distance planned is 90 miles or 6 hours (which ever comes first), but that is scheduled 3 weeks out, followed by an 80, and then a 50 the week before the race. Does that seem OK or do you think I should adjust it? I did Oly tri's the past two weekends so I didn't have any long rides in the last 3 weeks. Anyway, enough for now, Have a great 100 tomorrow Kate!

Rita, my plan has my peak week as June 29, then an easier but not what I'd call taper week following.  Looks like the week of 7/13 starts the taper.  Here's what it looks like overall:

This translates into a 6 hour (108 mile) long ride the week of 6/29, 4 hour (72 mile) week of 7/6, and 2 hour (36 mile) ride week of 7/13.

Some of the best advice I've gotten for both marathons and tri is to trust your plan.  If you feel like the plan is working for you, I wouldn't change anything.  I'd be hesitant to go longer than 6 hours as every extra mile at that point is adding stress to your tired body, and you want to stay healthy. 

I hope the inserts do the job for you, but if not, you may want to take a look at a small (3-4mm) adjustment to your cleats, moving them to the rear of your shoe.  If you have had your bike fitted in the past 6 months or so, I'd take it in to the fitter and have him make the adjustment as he likely has encountered this before.

Edited by TTom 2014-06-14 12:26 PM
2014-06-14 12:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel]  Question for you guys? How many weeks of tapering are you doing? It looks like I am behind the curve for mileage on the bike. My longest distance planned is 90 miles or 6 hours (which ever comes first), but that is scheduled 3 weeks out, followed by an 80, and then a 50 the week before the race. Does that seem OK or do you think I should adjust it? I did Oly tri's the past two weekends so I didn't have any long rides in the last 3 weeks. Anyway, enough for now, Have a great 100 tomorrow Kate!

Rita, my plan has my peak week as June 29, then an easier but not what I'd call taper week following.  Looks like the week of 7/13 starts the taper.  Here's what it looks like overall:

This translates into a 6 hour (108 mile) long ride the week of 6/29, 4 hour (72 mile) week of 7/6, and 2 hour (36 mile) ride week of 7/13.

Some of the best advice I've gotten for both marathons and tri is to trust your plan.  If you feel like the plan is working for you, I wouldn't change anything.  I'd be hesitant to go longer than 6 hours as every extra mile at that point is adding stress to your tired body, and you want to stay healthy. 

I hope the inserts do the job for you, but if not, you may want to take a look at a small (3-4mm) adjustment to your cleats, moving them to the rear of your shoe.  If you have had your bike fitted in the past 6 months or so, I'd take it in to the fitter and have him make the adjustment as he likely has encountered this before.

Again, Thanks Tom. Your knowledge and experience is valuable. It looks like my training is where it should be. I swam my longest on Thursday (4200) and rode my longest yesterday (75) and ran my longest (for this training - 14) this morning. And happily I feel good. I can feel where my cleats are on my feet this today, but I am sure that tenderness will go away. I found a store locally who has specialized inserts and I am going to buy them today. Hope it takes away the hot spots. I agree it is painful. Have a great father's day everyone.
2014-06-15 6:05 PM

Tom - Thanks for posting your training times. It is good to see my plan is similar. Although I am not following the heart rate as closely as you are. I am getting in the minutes, intensity depends on the day or what hurts, but you've got to get to the starting line. My long rides are more than 6 hours, but nothing hurts and mentally I need to feel like 100 is doable - kind of like the premarathon 20s. My plan tops out at 5 hour rides and I know I will be on the bike much longer.

Rita - 4200 on the swim? That is a lot of laps! I still haven't gone farther than 3500 in a workout. Nutrition is a challenge. I get sick of eating on these 6 plus hour rides and we are going to have to force ourselves to keep fueling so we can still run. I still can't imagine running a marathon after 112 on the bike.

On my long ride yesterday I accidentally bought a bottle of lime/cucumber Gatorade. It was so bad, but I was in the middle of the desert so I had to drink it. Awful, now I know I can stomach anything.

Good news -my son with the ACL injury is now cleared to play football, he is so ready, but mom - not so much.

Question - for running how many 3 hr/20 mile runs is everyone doing? My plan call for just 1.

6 weeks to go!!!

2014-06-15 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Kate, I agree that nutrition is a challenge on the bike, so I'm trying to mix it up a bit on the long rides. Infiinit is my main source, but am taking my payday bars and Honey Stinger waffles. I think I'm going to take some pretzels next time - good carbs, salty and not sweet at all! I read somewhere that you can actually stack the pretzel rings on your aero bottle drinking tube, so may try that. As you point out, bike nutrition is one of the key things that will enable a good run, so we've all GOT to make it work.

I don't have any 3 hour runs in the plan, my longest is a single 2:45, z1-z2, with planned 30-60 sec walking breaks every 10 minutes just to (I guess) experience how it helps you control your HR. This will likely work out to about 18 miles at a 9:00 pace. During my marathon training plans, I don't think I ever had more than two 20 mile runs. Like you say, in this case we've got to get to the starting line, and running is the thing that is most likely to cause an injury, so I'm not anxious to do any more long runs than I have to. I don't know if this will work or not, but here's a link to my training calendar here on BT so you can see the July daily individual workouts: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly...

It is a really interesting time in training right now as we are peaking and, for many of us, doing more longer and harder workouts than we've ever done before. It'll be a bigger mental challenge than it has been thus far; I'm finding it a bigger challenge to get started on the workouts sometimes, but once I'm in them it is OK. Let's make sure we keep each other motivated over the coming weeks - only 6 more weeks before the race. YIKES!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51937 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30667 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38607 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12532 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24300 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.